Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections (7735 Views)

IBB Shuns Governorship And House Of Assembly Elections In Niger / Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka / National Assembly Elections, Saturday 9th April, 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Orikinla(m): 5:03pm On Apr 02, 2011
NOW READ THE FOLLOWING NEWS REPORT OF TODAY ON REUTERS:

Nigeria’s non-vote: Incompetence or sabotage?

According to the shame-faced head of Nigeria’s electoral commission, one of the excuses given by suppliers who failed to get ballot papers to the country in time for Saturday’s parliamentary ballot was that there had been problems as a result of the tsunami in Japan.

Contractors in Nigeria tend to be pretty adept with their excuses, whether it’s about a failure to fix the plumbing or to build a highway on time, but this one stands out for its audacity.

Whatever the reason for the two-day delay to the vote, it has inevitably put another question mark over the credibility of a series of elections seen as a chance for a break from a history of ballots where fraud and thuggery have been the order of the day.

http://blogs.reuters.com/africanews/2011/04/02/nigeria%E2%80%99s-non-vote-incompetence-or-sabotage/

THIS IS YOUR BREATH OF FRESH AIR?
OR BREATH OF INCOMPETENCE?
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 5:16pm On Apr 02, 2011
Q: Nigeria’s non-vote: Incompetence or sabotage?

A: Both!

Lol @ GEJ's administration blaming Japan
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by dayokanu(m): 5:21pm On Apr 02, 2011
GEJ should have blamed Ghadaffi
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Beaf: 5:21pm On Apr 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

Q: Nigeria’s non-vote: Incompetence or sabotage?

A: Both!

Lol @ GEJ's administration blaming Japan

You're telling lies:

According to the shame-faced head of Nigeria’s electoral commission, one of the excuses given by suppliers who failed to get ballot papers to the country in time for Saturday’s parliamentary ballot was that there had been problems as a result of the tsunami in Japan.

When did the Nigeria’s electoral commission become GEJ's administration? Don't make yourselves seem little with such trash.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
Who appointed the head of Nigeria’s electoral commission
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by monkeyleg: 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2011
@Beaf,

it is on your uncles watch, so ultimately he must take responsibility for this mess.

A real shame, that after 50yrs we still need outsiders to tell us when we get things dreadfully wrong. Why cant we live by the simple principle of telling ourselves the home truth.

To be honest, i have nothing personally against Jega, but he has shown that the Job is far bigger than him. The signs were on the wall, with the delta re-run farce
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Orikinla(m): 5:28pm On Apr 02, 2011
monkeyleg:

@Beaf,

it is on your uncles watch, so ultimately he must take responsibility for this mess.

A real shame, that after 50yrs we still need outsiders to tell us when we get things dreadfully wrong. Why cant we live by the simple principle of telling ourselves the home truth.

To be honest, i have nothing personally against Jega, but he has shown that the Job is far bigger than him. The signs were on the wall, with the delta re-run farce

THANK YOU FOR HELPING HIM.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2011
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by opalu: 5:32pm On Apr 02, 2011
Beaf:

You're telling lies:

When did the Nigeria’s electoral commission become GEJ's administration? Don't make yourselves seem little with such trash.

NOT SO FAST.
REMEMBER THAT THE UNIQUE SELLING POINT (USP) OF GEJ ADMINISTRATION IS THE APPOINTMENT OF JEGA WHO HE CLAIMS HE DIDNT KNOW FROM ADAM. SO IF JEGA FLOPS ANY DAY LIKE 2DAY, GEJ SHOULD BEAR THE SHIT
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Apr 02, 2011
As if what happened to japan is not enough. They are blaming them for their incompetence. Chei, Japan don suffer.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Dave6: 5:47pm On Apr 02, 2011
I thought basically, INEC was supposed to be an INDEPENDENT body funded by the government and guided by certain constitution. How come this setback is blamed on the administration of one of the candidates?
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by EzeUche(m): 5:49pm On Apr 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

[img]http://cientifica.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/dunce.png[/img]

Who are you calling a dunce? angry
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2011
^-- I'm calling YOU a dunce.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
Dav.e:

I thought basically, INEC was supposed to be an INDEPENDENT body funded by the government and guided by certain constitution. How come this setback is blamed on the administration of one of the candidates?

Who chose the head of INEC? Moreover, why did GEJ take responsibility for the quality of the elections to both to Nigerians and the world as a whole, if he is not ultimately responsible?

Smh @ the lack of accountability of some of you folks. No wonder naija is slow to progress, and is an international laughingstock
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by dayokanu(m): 6:08pm On Apr 02, 2011
GEJ promised us fair elections, He appointed Jega and yet some folks feel he shouldnt be held responsible
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by EzeUche(m): 6:10pm On Apr 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- I'm calling YOU a dunce.

Mr. Americana, you will be in for a rude awakening when you finally live in Naija.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by friedrice1: 6:12pm On Apr 02, 2011
I'm surprised they blamed the tsunami instead, the usual thing is heaping the blame on the CPC grin grin grin
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Kobojunkie: 6:19pm On Apr 02, 2011

kai!!! lol
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ektbear: 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2011
EzeUche:

Mr. Americana, you will be in for a rude awakening when you finally live in Naija.

Thanks for your unsolicited warnings. Much appreciated. . . but I think I got this covered.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by efisher(m): 6:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
I in INEC stands for Independent. It should be Independent even in the mistakes.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by lionness(f): 6:24pm On Apr 02, 2011
A breath of Stale Air indeed grin
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by OAM4J: 6:25pm On Apr 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

kai!!! lol

Wahala dey o! So this na the result of GEJA/PDP electoral reform. This is incompetence at its peak.

I beg una, whatever you do, just make sure you dont vote for PDP.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

kai!!! lol

Tsunami!!! SMH  embarassed embarassed embarassed
Nigeria we hail thee.

A breath of fresh air is looking more like a breath of tsunami induced, polluted air!
May God save us all.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by elcij(m): 6:53pm On Apr 02, 2011
blaming the same japan that fixed earthquake damaged roads in 6 days? lol

and by the way the earthquake and tsunami happened a while ago, anyone with a brain who was doing business in japan would have immediately made alternate arrangements or at the very least announced like 2 weeks ago that there might be a problem.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by Kilode1: 6:54pm On Apr 02, 2011
That is what you get when you reward id.iot/s with your vote.

PDP is only efficient at killing opponents and arresting opposition leaders. Common Election paper they can't produce on time SMH << -- very very embarrassing!

Now they want to throw traumatized Japanese people under the bus shocked grin

Teslim is still free

Akpabio is still running mad all over Akwa Ibom.

The party of Bode George and Alamieseghya shocked <--- convicted criminals, kirikiri graduates  shocked

If you like, file out on Monday and vote criminals again, the Joke is on you!!
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by wiseman2011(m): 7:05pm On Apr 02, 2011
Is Mr President back from His village where He went to cast his vote ? Has he actually cast his vote ?.the late arrival of electorial materials affect his village ?. WELL GLORY BE TO GOD.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by HamidO1(m): 7:07pm On Apr 02, 2011
I just pray INEC gets it right when the election finally holds. Logistics is and will always be a problem for Inec except something crucial is done. I still have not lost confidence in the whole process though. God help us.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by ceceko86(m): 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2011
Since inec is independent i wil rather blame jega alone, he seems very incompetent, nd nw i just hope p.d.p wunt b taking advantage of d 2 days, anyway nigerians vote wisely dis time,
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by kellybaba(m): 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2011
I believe Prof Attahiru Jega meant well but is a victim of internal sabotage comeing from moles planted within INEC to frustrate him since he could not play ball with these vested interests.
All the same,i still think the man did what is right by arresting and postponing a failing process.Think about it guys,this 'election' could have gone ahead inspite of lack of materials in most states and election results will still be collated and announced on Monday that we now have new set of federal legislators ! GOD FORBID ! May we never go back to those WURU-WURU days !
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by uzoma123(m): 7:36pm On Apr 02, 2011
Names of people were not on the register. Wrong materials were sent out e.g materials ment for governorship elections were sent out for National Assembly election. Who r d ppl responsible for suppling dis materials? Who are d ppl incharge of logistics in INEC? Jega need to tell us everything he knws before he resigns. We will not accept dis unless they wnt to d kind of change dat is taking place in other parts of d world.
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by zeal500: 7:40pm On Apr 02, 2011
jegaiwulicious
Re: Reuters Mocks INEC's Incompetence Over Postponed National Assembly Elections by agabaI23(m): 7:41pm On Apr 02, 2011
In as much as this is a shame, I think it is better to postpone than to allow the election carry on into the night which would have allowed massive rigging.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Nigerian Newspapers Would Have Reported US Elections / Breaking! Protest Nairalander Ipobdevil Hit By Military Bullet At The Head -pics / TINUBU: The Oneness Of Yoruba Leaders, And Unity Of The South And Middle Belt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.