Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake (6501 Views)

RRS Patrol Vehicles Stationed In Strategic Points Across Lagos (photos) / As Buhari Constitutes His Government, We Constitutive The Opposition! / Nigerian Troops Recapture Two Strategic Local Governments From Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Beaf: 5:04am On Apr 04, 2011
[size=14pt]The opposition’s strategic mistake[/size]
By Kayode Ogunbunmi
April 4, 2011 01:06AM

Nobody could accuse them of not giving prior warning. Close to a week before the presidential and vice presidential debate organised by the Nigerian Electoral Debate Group was to take place, the presidential candidates of three political parties: the Action Congress of Nigeria; All Nigeria Peoples Party and the Congress for Progressive Change had warned that they would not participate in the debate with Goodluck Jonathan.

The three gentlemen, Nuhu Ribadu, Muhammadu Buhari and Ibrahim Shekarau, predicated their decision on the president’s absence at an earlier debate organised by cable television station, NN24. Leaving the president to stand on the podium by himself, the men must have decided, is sweet revenge for their own perceived slight.

This argument is alluring in its simplicity. Reduce the importance of the NEDG debate, focus the energy of the candidates on other things (possibly) and put President Jonathan in an uncomfortable position of being seen as aloof and having to explain why this is so.

When the debate took off Wednesday evening, there was only Mr Jonathan on the podium to take questions from a panel drawn from the Nigerian Guild of editors, Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria and the Nigerian Bar Association.

[size=14pt]It is hard to see how Messrs Buhari, Ribadu and Shekarau could see themselves coming out as winners from the incident. Being alone on the stage did not diminish Mr Jonathan’s carriage. He cut the image of relaxed assuredness, even cracking jokes with the panellists. What is more, being alone allowed him to put his views on the NN24 absence across to his audience – unchallenged because his opponents decided to stay away.

It is possible that, as a tactic, staying away probably served its purpose. There are even insinuations that some of the candidates stayed away because they did not quite perform well in the NN24 debate moderated by NEXT’s Kadaria Ahmed. According to this rendering, the campaign managers of these candidates would not then rather have them exposed to another public grilling. This is probably tosh. But then, how do we know, when the candidates did not show up to speak for themselves?[/size]

I, therefore, think that the boycott is both wrongheaded and a strategic mistake. Even if the candidates were aggrieved, participating in the Wednesday event could only be a gain-gain situation for them. They would have, for one, reached another set of Nigerians whom they couldn’t reach in the first debate. They could have confronted Mr Jonathan on air directly and seek to discomfit him. They would have appeared as statesmen who will not be dissuaded by a little thing as having to debate without one of their opponents.

[size=14pt]Instead, they appeared petty and petulant. And they handed the initiative to their key opponent. I mean, who will readily pass over the opportunity to address millions of Nigerians who listened to the debate on radio and television – both terrestrial and cable. A candidate like Mr Shekarau, who did rather well at the last debate, would have consolidated on this. But he was nowhere to be found.[/size]

The debate caught me on the road, [size=14pt]so I started off listening to it on the radio[/size]. Reason why I even knew it started was because I and some friends saw clusters of people around television sets on a street in Ikeja, Lagos. A glimpse at one of the sets revealed the president in a world of his own - taking questions and answering same in full glare of Nigerians. Maybe he performed well, maybe he didn’t. His listeners will have to decide that for themselves. But his lone appearance couldn’t have hurt his campaign any.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5686911-148/story.csp
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Beaf: 5:23am On Apr 04, 2011
some of the candidates stayed away because they did not quite perform well in the NN24 debate moderated by NEXT’s Kadaria Ahmed. According to this rendering, the campaign managers of these candidates would not then rather have them exposed to another public grilling.

Word! cool
That is the real reason they stayed away; the fear of being exposed as stark empty to millions, instead of just NN24's meagre 2,500 subscribers. Shame!
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by kasiem(m): 8:39am On Apr 04, 2011
When a man is deep down with frustrations, he wldn't know when he's going wide off the mark. The frustrations 4rm their abysmal performance led them into telling the common masses that gej has more clue than them and they are too arrogant. I can say anything until the reality of their misdemeanour comes to fore in the nature of the masses grasping FRESH AIR on presidential day
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by efisher(m): 9:36am On Apr 04, 2011
This debate made me rethink my stance on the best candidate for 2011. I was disappointed because I thought the others will display their maturity and score cheap points for it. Instead they went for the Do-Me-I-Do-You approach. I got really pissed off! There is no excuse that can justify their approach because Nigerians should be the most important part of the equation. Besides, they are allowed to say whatever they want. Nobody will muzzle them during the debate so why act childishly? GEJ has displayed his genuine passion and respect for Nigerians and that is the key difference between the old and the new order. Change is here.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by maxtop(m): 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2011
@ poster , am sure you have been paid !!
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by usbcable(m): 12:53pm On Apr 04, 2011
I personnally wished to see all candidates at the same to see their perfomance.

on the NN24 debate only shekarau impressed and funny enough non of my ''BB-throthing'' friends refused to support him rather still wanting to support a buhari that performed least amongst the three.

Debating with GEJ would have given them the opportunity to show they were better or worse off.

and their absence made GEJ king since in a one man contest you are never the looser.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by konkolok: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2011
stale news. stone cold dead issue. go and vote your gej and your pdp. we moved on weeks ago.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 04, 2011
There are even insinuations that some of the candidates stayed away because they did not quite perform well in the NN24 debate moderated by NEXT’s Kadaria Ahmed. According to this rendering, the campaign managers of these candidates would not then rather have them exposed to another public grilling.

Any wonder people like Ribadu has not challenged GEJ to a debate again like he did several times before the debates stuff? Na mouth this people get,when breeze blow na fowl yansh we dey always see!!! The Dictator Buhari I am sure must have thanked allah for not attending the BON debate.A man who is expired is like an expired drug, thus dangerous for the Health of this country call Nigeria!!!
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by yd849ja: 1:43pm On Apr 04, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]The opposition’s strategic mistake[/size]
By Kayode Ogunbunmi
April 4, 2011 01:06AM

"He cut the image of relaxed assuredness, even cracking jokes with the panellists."  What do you expect from all those panelist? They were only playing out the script the other candidate were accusing him.

"It is possible that, as a tactic, staying away probably served its purpose. There are even insinuations that some of the candidates stayed away because they did not quite perform well in the NN24 debate moderated by NEXT’s Kadaria Ahmed. According to this rendering, the campaign managers of these candidates would not then rather have them exposed to another public grilling. This is probably tosh. But then, how do we know, when the candidates did not show up to speak for themselves?[/size]" This is the most stupid assumption I've ever heard from a supposed unbiased columnist"

"I, therefore, think that the boycott is both wrongheaded and a strategic mistake. Even if the candidates were aggrieved, participating in the Wednesday event could only be a gain-gain situation for them. They would have, for one, reached another set of Nigerians whom they couldn’t reach in the first debate. They could have confronted Mr Jonathan on air directly and seek to discomfit him. They would have appeared as statesmen who will not be dissuaded by a little thing as having to debate without one of their opponents."
I also, therefore think you and your columnist are in no little way blinded by your bias for Jonathan. Didn't it occur to you that the President was unusually smooth and relaxed on the one man unopposed charade of a debate than usual- which is very uncharacteristic of GEJ so this can only go a long way to also substantiate the initial claims of him seeing the debate questions.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Ben13: 1:54pm On Apr 04, 2011
efisher:

This debate made me rethink my stance on the best candidate for 2011. I was disappointed because I thought the others will display their maturity and score cheap points for it. Instead they went for the Do-Me-I-Do-You approach. I got really pissed off! There is no excuse that can justify their approach because Nigerians should be the most important part of the equation. Besides, they are allowed to say whatever they want. Nobody will muzzle them during the debate so why act childishly? GEJ has displayed his genuine passion and respect for Nigerians and that is the key difference between the old and the new order. Change is here.

Don't mind them. Anti-Goodluck.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by sleekymag(m): 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2011
GEJ would definitely have floored them. I'm angry they decided to stay away. Anyways it was a WIN-WIN situation for GEJ.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by jfking2005(m): 1:59pm On Apr 04, 2011
This is bullshit.
All these is no longer necessary.
go and vote and make your vote count.
campaign is over!!
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by omo9ja1(m): 2:00pm On Apr 04, 2011
I totally disagree with this, I think the three parties are saying something to us, that If we all agree on something we should all stand and say NO

But rather acting like a coward they stood their ground, The President should be ashame of this situation but only few people can read meaning into the action of the debate

Mr president ignore the most wanted debate and thinks they can get away with that NO way, ACN,ANPP and CPC kudos to your action.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by kaycee0604(m): 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2011
On your mark

Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Excllncy(m): 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2011
Everything seems to be falling in place for Mr President. If I were Buhari, I’ll wait for 2015.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Bensonite: 2:47pm On Apr 04, 2011
jfking2005:

This is bullshit.
campaign is over!!
Please update your head campaign is not over yet.
omo9ja1:

I totally disagree with this, I think the three parties are saying something to us, that If we all agree on something we should all stand and say NO

But rather acting like a coward they stood their ground, The President should be ashame of this situation but only few people can read meaning into the action of the debate

Mr president ignore the most wanted debate and thinks they can get away with that NO way, ACN,ANPP and CPC kudos to your action.

Did I
konkolok:

stale news. stone cold dead issue. go and vote your gej and your pdp. we moved on weeks ago.
hear you say most wanted debate. How many nigerians knew of NN24 before now.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by batiatus(m): 2:48pm On Apr 04, 2011
minds are already made up. The masses are nt even using d performance in d debate as a yardstick 4 who 2 vote for.
The other parties did the right thing becos with or without d debate, pro gej wont be convinced that the president did any wrong, It is now the opposition who are d wrongdoers.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2011
it's a shame. The opposition really does not have anything to offer. LET ME HEAR ALL NAIRALANDER'S SAY 'FRESH AIR'
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Bensonite: 2:56pm On Apr 04, 2011
batiatus:

minds are already made up. The masses are nt even using d performance in d debate as a yardstick 4 who 2 vote for.
The other parties did the right thing becos with or without d debate, pro gej wont be convinced that the president did any wrong, It is now the opposition who are d wrongdoers.
You are on your own. The mind made up is negative for the opposition in the presidential election.
jfking2005:

This is bullshit.
campaign is over!!
Moving forward does not mean forgetting grievious mistakes and pride shown by the opposition. The old woman and man in the village watched the TV and accepts GEJ
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Bensonite: 3:08pm On Apr 04, 2011
shikaan:

it's a shame. The opposition really does not have anything to offer. LET ME HEAR ALL NIARALANDER'S SAY 'FRESH AIR'
[/quote
FRESH AIR!
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Tcrack(m): 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2011
this battle of words is starting to get boring. i wonder why nigerians so many cant reason.sebi you want to vote GEJ/ PDP because his name means goodluck,he is humble, he is friendly, he is fom the south south, ? go ahead, after 4 years, i will be here, you will be here,  nairaland will be here and we will  see Nigeria remain in the same sorry state it is in.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by babaowo: 3:19pm On Apr 04, 2011
i'm not is support of any candidate,but i thank obj for taking power out from those mallam's
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by juman(m): 3:33pm On Apr 04, 2011
There are even insinuations that some of the candidates stayed away because they did not quite perform well in the NN24 debate moderated by NEXT’s Kadaria Ahmed

Exactly

Vote Jonathan/Sambo
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Gbawe: 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2011
You fans of GEJ are amusing with the way you think GEJ will win and all will be well . It will end in tears for all of you . A man is blatantly aiding and abetting corruption, profligacy, grotesque fiscal irresponsibility , indolence and the hideous looting of our commonwealth yet you folks are here holding brief for him? This is a man , without any iota of doubt , who enjoys the support of the most ruinous hands in Nigeria , because they think in him they have found a 'soulmate', yet you all delude yourself that Nigeria can survive much longer under GEJ and his fourty thieves? Even the so-called debate was a joke and a disgrace. limp questions , asked with total deference , accompanied with listless, vague and condescending answers. A perfect example of the decietful 'arrangee' 419 con of Nigerians that is the hallmark of the PDP . Win or lose , GEJ is f.ucked . Na me talk am . guys like GEJ , because they are just simply not attentive and astute , are often the last to see the writing on the wall. Nigeria can simply not survive GEJ's free-for-all and everyone-act-as-bad-as-they-please leadership style . You all must think we are back in 1980. You guys are blind to what is very obvious. We have seen a lot of things , all negative , happen for the first time in our history under GEJ. This is only the beginning . The criminal is always the last to see that the game is up.  wink
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Guyman02: 4:01pm On Apr 04, 2011
At the NN24 debate Buhari inundated us with how he hopes to solve the Niger Delta issue when he has not condenmed the killings in his backyard in Jos, Bauchi and Maiduguri.
Most of the rioters are his (CPC) peasant supporters going by the religious fervour that follows his campaign with shouts of Allahu akbar, sai maigaskiya.
The fact is that Northern minority tribes will not vote for Buhari because of the fear of another round of Hausa and Fulani domination. Buhari just like IBB will create another Jos West Local govt or even Markudi East; propagate Almajirism among the Hausa tribe to keep serving the Fulani elite.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Beaf: 4:10pm On Apr 04, 2011
Gbawe:

You fans of GEJ are amusing with the way you think GEJ will win and all will be well . It will end in tears for all of you . A man is blatantly aiding and abetting corruption, profligacy, grotesque fiscal irresponsibility , indolence and the hideous looting of our commonwealth yet you folks are here holding brief for him? This is a man , without any iota of doubt , who enjoys the support of the most ruinous hands in Nigeria , because they think in him they have found a 'soulmate', yet you all delude yourself that Nigeria can survive much longer under GEJ and his fourty thieves? Even the so-called debate was a joke and a disgrace. limp questions , asked with total deference , accompanied with listless, vague and condescending answers. A perfect example of the decietful 'arrangee' 419 con of Nigerians that is the hallmark of the PDP . Win or lose , GEJ is f.ucked . Na me talk am . guys like GEJ , because they are just simply not attentive and astute , are often the last to see the writing on the wall. Nigeria can simply not survive GEJ's free-for-all and everyone-act-as-bad-as-they-please leadership style . You all must think we are back in 1980. You guys are blind to what is very obvious. We have seen a lot of things , all negative , happen for the first time in our history under GEJ. This is only the beginning . The criminal is always the last to see that the game is up.  wink

Abeg, quit all these long winded arguments. Why are your so called reformers (Ribadu and Buhari) now hugging and kissing Ciroma's corrupt cabal and trying to select a Northern consensus candidate (another Atiku)?
Is Nigeria only Northern? It is worthy of note that Buhari hardly even bothered to campaign in the South, not even in Lagos.

The battle is strictly between old and new; ethnic bigotry / born to rule and an all inclusive Nigeria.
It is quite clear now that the very same Ciroma cabal are holding nocturnal meetings with the three willing Fulani contestants.

Shame on them and their "born to rule" ways, we aren't deceived and Nigeria is being reborn.

More on the Northern consensus rubbish here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-638594.0.html
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 04, 2011
You fans of GEJ are amusing with the way you think GEJ will win and all will be well . It will end in tears for all of you . A man is blatantly aiding and abetting corruption, profligacy, grotesque fiscal irresponsibility , indolence and the hideous looting of our commonwealth yet you folks are here holding brief for him? This is a man , without any iota of doubt , who enjoys the support of the most ruinous hands in Nigeria , because they think in him they have found a 'soulmate', yet you all delude yourself that Nigeria can survive much longer under GEJ and his fourty thieves? Even the so-called debate was a joke and a disgrace. limp questions , asked with total deference , accompanied with listless, vague and condescending answers. A perfect example of the decietful 'arrangee' 419 con of Nigerians that is the hallmark of the PDP . Win or lose , GEJ is f.ucked . Na me talk am . guys like GEJ , because they are just simply not attentive and astute , are often the last to see the writing on the wall. Nigeria can simply not survive GEJ's free-for-all and everyone-act-as-bad-as-they-please leadership style . You all must think we are back in 1980. You guys are blind to what is very obvious. We have seen a lot of things , all negative , happen for the first time in our history under GEJ. This is only the beginning . The criminal is always the last to see that the game is up.

halleluyah---- Gbawe is back, but with the same wrong assumptions.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by omogidi234(m): 4:18pm On Apr 04, 2011
Tcrack:

this battle of words is starting to get boring. i wonder why nigerians so many cant reason.sebi you want to vote GEJ/ PDP because his name means goodluck,he is humble, he is friendly, he is fom the south south, ? go ahead, after 4 years, i will be here, you will be here,  nairaland will be here and we will  see Nigeria remain in the same sorry state it is in.

I said this same thing in a diferrent manner under the past sin's thread. The issue is this- to be honest, Jonathan means well for the country but can he clear the cartel behind Nepa not working? Can he bulldoze the fuel import cartel and/or other cartel (s)? Nobody bites the finger that feeds him/her- these guys are all around him. It would be easier for Nlanders to abuse Seun and go free than for the President to address the root cause of corruption which is one major problem that needs to be cleared immediately.

In between, most of us are not aware of how deep this country is enmeshed in corruption. We hear about the large funds emblezzed by politicians and we scream yet we have the traits too or abi the civil servant in all the government offices who will not move a file until you settle them is not corrupt. Many of us work for private orgazation/self employed so we do not have business with these civil servants. Presido has so many of them to contend with.

We respect our President but if wins then we would be in for another 4 years similar to the last 12 years.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by Gbawe: 4:27pm On Apr 04, 2011
babasoty:

halleluyah---- Gbawe is back, but with the same wrong assumptions.

My friend , where is the SWF? How many times have I been wrong ? Abeg prove it and shame me. I made similar predictions regarding Yar Adua.  Anyone who sees what they need to see will note just how amazingly similar GEJ and Yar Adua are . Both are mediocre administrators who did not desire the Presidency because they both lack the genuine passion and innate ability to make a difference at the highest level. Both men were specifically 'head-hunted' by "business as usual" godfathers who keyed into the dearth of political will , shown by Yar Adua and Jonathan throughout their respective careers, in choosing them as the best materials that will enable the preservation of the status quo. Jonathan , like our former President , is "dead on arrival" also. The only difference is that he may be far worse because he enjoys the support of far more ruinous hands than Yar Adua did . Folks like you should pray he does not win because he will do a lot of damage if what we are seeing now is a 'taster' of what is to come.
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by jidody(m): 4:32pm On Apr 04, 2011
I believe in Goodluck Jonathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuJihVkVHE&NR=1
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by LADEMINUS: 4:42pm On Apr 04, 2011
buhari must be a tribalist, when he was president he wickedly built a refineries and developed d soutg south aggresively as no pdp goverment has done.
he is so wicked d amount of primary health ctrs and drugs and universities he refurbished have not been matched by south south indigene led nddc.

the height of his northern extremism was picking the most vocal voice of revolution in d south. Pastor tunde bakare.

ohh he must hate d south, imagine he forgot to call dem rascals, he forgot to pay homage to people like bode george and anenih nd obasanjo,
he didnt even care to match d pdp 1000 naira per vote incentive on saturday.

he is nly lucky dat nigerians going by d partially released results on saturday,, LOVE SUCH MEN
Re: 234next - The Opposition’s Strategic Mistake by JimmyBoy1: 4:44pm On Apr 04, 2011
Many of us are tired of flogging this debate issue and that is why you  have not seen many  responses to this post, the bottom line is that only unscrupulous  persons will ascribe any credibility to  the debate on NTA, the flaws where just too many.

1. Leading questions were asked.

2. Camera focus was adjusted to lend support to the president , without being noticed by viewers.

3. Panelist refused to ask probing questions.

4. A panelist  showed intention to ask follow-up question on Power, only to tacticaly divert the president to Revenue Sharing , as the the President was obviously struggling to convince anybody on the power question.

5. Finally, for those claiming to be voting for the candidate an not the Party, GEJ said during the debate  "I do not place my personal interest over the interest of the party, my party leaders can confirm this". The president was apparently  courting his party leaders on National TV, so we already know that he is going to be a continuation of the misrule of  last 12 years.

Now, let us leave the debate matter , Nigerians do not speak english like we do on Nairaland, all they know is what they can see with their eyes, unfortunately they can not see anything in the last 12years, neither can they see anything since GEJ took over.

So, you guys may continue posting whatever you like, mainstreet do not read any of it, they just judge by what they see on the ground and they have resolved to kick out PDP at all levels.

Buhari and Bakare are our hope for change.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Modified / Obasa: Why Igbos In Lagos Should Embrace APC / EFCC Visits Sterling Bank And Udenwa Grilled Over Campaign Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.