Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc (6440 Views)

London Court: Erastus Akingbola To Pay £600m For Share Fraud / Erastus Akingbola: Fmr Intercontinental Bank MD Freed Over ₦47.1B Fraud / Uk High Court Orders Rogue Banker, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million L (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by midep: 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2011
A United Kingdom High Court in London has ordered the former CEO of Intercontinental Bank and pastor of the widely-known Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Erastus Akingbola, to forfeit nearly seventy-five million British pounds to the bank.

Pastor Akingbola was arrested in 2010 after he returned from the UK, to which he had fled after his financial shenanigans were revealed by the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission was called in to prosecute such former bank CEOs who were found to have been involved in bank fraud.

According to the UK court judgement obtained by SaharaReporters dated March 24 2011, he will forfeit sums of £8,540,134.58, £68m and £1.3m to Intercontinental Bank.  The bank had approached the UK court after it successfully obtained a freezing order against huge sums of monies paid into various shell companies set up by Mr. Akingbola in the Cayman Islands and in which members of his family were beneficiaries.

The fraudulent payments saw Akingbola transferring huge sums of money from Intercontinental bank in 2009.  The payments, known as "1st Fuglers Payments", "Tropics Payments" and "2nd Fuglers Payments", together the three payment led to the transfer of a total of £80 Million; monies that were used to purchase expensive properties in the UK and beyond.

Mr. Akingbola siphoned most of the funds in dubious transactions between his shell companies in Nigeria within just six weeks through an illegal shares purchase scheme conducted by some of his companies.  Forty-one million pounds (£41m) of the money was looted by Mr. Akingbola in one day alone, on 11 May 2009.

Analysts say Mr. Akingbola's case reflects pervasive greed not only in Nigerian financial institutions, but often in her places of worship, where flamboyant pastors are perennially preaching messages of prosperity.  There is also persistent collusion between government and bank officials, one form of which involves governors and ministers transferring key accounts to specific banks with which they have worked out a profitable arrangement.  It remains to be seen if RCCG will issue a statement condemning Mr. Akingbola.

Last October, the former Chief Executive Officer of Oceanic Bank, Mrs. Cecilia Ibru, was convicted of bank and securities fraud by the Federal High Court in Lagos, and was stripped of 199 assets and funds worth nearly N200 billion, much of which she had salted away all over the world.  On one street alone in the Upper Marlboro area of Maryland, United States, Mrs. Ibru bought at least six palatial homes in 2009, and they were registered either to herself, or to such close relatives as her son, Obaro, her daughter Janet, or her daughter-in-law, Kemi Da silva.  Despite the grievous nature of her crimes, however, Mrs. Ibru was sent to jail for only six months.  Even that slap on the wrist was "suffered" in the cushy confines of a medical facility that is built like a five-star hotel. 

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/uk-high-court-orders-rogue-banker-erastus-akingbola-surrender-%C2%A368-million-loot-intercontin
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by mendax: 4:23pm On Apr 05, 2011
sad
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by maclatunji: 4:23pm On Apr 05, 2011
Wonderful CEO's we have in Nigeria. The annoying part is that these people drive several of our young graduates into prostitution and sundry vices/crimes just to make them richer. Sad!
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by baslone: 4:26pm On Apr 05, 2011
Hmmmmmm wink !!
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by hbrednic: 4:27pm On Apr 05, 2011
who reads desert-reporters these days   they have no credibility  :p
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Gbenge77(m): 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2011
*sighs*
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by oderemo(m): 4:33pm On Apr 05, 2011
According to the UK court judgement obtained

who reads desert-reporters these days   they have no credibility  

ITS A COURT JUDGEMENT, pls read b4 u post. moreover the story is in other newspaper.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by ideylaff: 4:36pm On Apr 05, 2011
Last October, the former Chief Executive Officer of Oceanic Bank, Mrs. Cecilia Ibru, was convicted of bank and securities fraud by the Federal High Court in Lagos, and was stripped of 199 assets and funds worth nearly N200 billion, much of which she had salted away all over the world. On one street alone in the Upper Marlboro area of Maryland, United States, Mrs. Ibru bought at least six palatial homes in 2009, and they were registered either to herself, or to such close relatives as her son, Obaro, her daughter Janet, or her daughter-in-law, Kemi Da silva. Despite the grievous nature of her crimes, however, Mrs. Ibru was sent to jail for only six months. Even that slap on the wrist was "suffered" in the cushy confines of a medical facility that is built like a five-star hotel.

Which Hospital she dey sad. I "CLEARLY" saw her coming out of her West London home about a week ago, seeing off visitors, all smiling, and I thought 2 myself, is this 9ija worth fighting for at all. No remorse No sign of guilt. No shame,
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Basildon1(m): 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2011
hbrednic:

who reads desert-reporters these days  they have no credibility  :p
What is wrong with you people? Is it not the internet u used to post this!

would you prefer this then http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/uk-court-orders-akingbola-to-surrender-68m/
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2011
Uk will be convicting our criminals why our charge and bail Judges will be speaking bogus grammer and creating double standards for themselves,na wa for naija my country
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by fairbeauty: 4:47pm On Apr 05, 2011
seconded
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by infohawk(m): 4:50pm On Apr 05, 2011
It's really sad that this is happening. Please they should exposed others!  i heard a politician in this naija boasted that he is worth trillions. How did he get there? Expose them all!  angry
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by slap1(m): 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2011
Will the court ensure he pays it? What happens if he doesn't pay up? Again, why has RCCG not deemed it wise to strip Akingbola of his 'pastorship'?
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2011
Expose wetin,abeg bone matter for mathias. were Bode G. cicilia I and them others. shoot them and let others learn
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2011
slap1:

Will the court ensure he pays it? What happens if he doesn't pay up? Again, why has RCCG not deemed it wise to strip Akingbola of his 'pastorship'?

where did you get this from
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by hackney(m): 5:03pm On Apr 05, 2011
I think that the west and other countries should start seizing (and keeping) any funds coming from nigeria to their banks.
Particularly if they liase with EFCC and verify that the funds origins are fraudulent.

That way our embezzling oldfarts will have no where to go with their loot.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Pennywise(m): 5:04pm On Apr 05, 2011
aguiyi:

Uk will be convicting our criminals why our charge and bail Judges will be speaking bogus grammer and creating double standards for themselves,na wa for naija my country

A country is as good as the judiciary it gets. It is generally agreed that Nigeria is a corrupt country
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by awuf2008: 5:11pm On Apr 05, 2011
Who is he keeping the stolen ill gotten wealth for?
Mr Erastus Akingbola not only, to forfeit the money but go to jail for life.
He is  a grand master thief.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 05, 2011
hackney:

I think that the west and other countries should start seizing (and keeping) any funds coming from nigeria to their banks.
Particularly if they liase with EFCC and verify that the funds origins are fraudulent.

That way our embezzling oldfarts will have no where to go with their loot.

dont even go there abeg, is the EFCC officials any better than the bank executives
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by ideylaff: 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2011

Thank you mr bro @ aguiyi (, Abi oooo, na so so Gown and Wig awa law people dey wear all over the place, NTA, AIT, CHANNELS, its there in your face, even for UK u know dey see dem dey wear Gown /Wig all over the place like magicians and most of the Barristers wey dey go old Bailey dey enter Public Transport,

Soon as u finish law school 4 nija, and u qualify to go court, The wig and gown na like agbada 4 dem, in your face,

Awa over sabi 2 much, and we know know nada, 4 d law sef, all na twist and turns,
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2011
examination and cross examination go just dey run off track
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by easy36: 5:38pm On Apr 05, 2011
U see what lack of religious litracy is doing to some of us. When its a pastor that stole, then the guy should check well or they dont believe desert/sahara reporters. Guys big up! dont be dog-led by these so called pastors.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by oldskul(m): 5:48pm On Apr 05, 2011
nawaoooooooooooooo
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2011
There are a good majority of Nigerians and Nairalanders who are so deluded to the point that even if it rains fire and brimestone, they will close they eyes and say the breeze is just right for them to relax. They Worship Men and claim to Serve God, They Glorify Evil and claim to the sanctified by the Holy Spirit, The swell the ranks of Souls going to Hell and claim to hold a valid visa to Heaven.

Erastus, Ibori and co will return home someday Free men and they will have their minions to praise them for persevering through trials and tribulations, "The Devil is a Liar" is all you will hear from their mouths.

One day the bough will break and all our fragile comforts and illusions of righteousness, false safety and continuity will be shattered and we must face our problems squarely or die from them.

Corruption must be cut out like a diseased limb that threatens to kill the entire body or busted like over-ripe pimples on a face that so dearly needs to be cleaned.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by seanet02: 6:13pm On Apr 05, 2011
i dey laugh ooo
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by kontilola: 6:15pm On Apr 05, 2011
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by ncpat(m): 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2011
religious follow dey contribute to the problem self wey we dey face for naija, imaging today somebody go just appear for church without knowing where he or she is coming from, dem go just give him high table for front, the worst part be say if you see the way this people take dey lie for chineke head, he go be like say na you no know God, that is why blessing no dey reach ur side, dem go dey talk like say na their income dem dey use. i call dem lie-lie b`cos no be wetin my bible tell or teach me all this people dey do, na like so i dey for one church wey dem dey call winners,na him a whole pastor dey testify say wey dem dey for church dey do cleaning na him one woman wey follow them dey pack dirty come call him say make him come lay hands upon the ship wey she buy and yeye pastor still get liver to open him mouth dey lie for the children of God say if you see the ship the wey he big,ka bros i no be small pikin again, na who give the woman money to buy that kind ship if at all the pastor is telling the truth and the yeye pastor no even ask the woman where she get money to buy ship but all the pastor is interested is for the woman to bring her tithe which is 10% of the cost of the ship so my people no let anybody deceive you, to make money no easy even in oil business you can not make up to N60,000 per tanker if you sale according to the government price of N65 per litre and the money invested in a tank is up to 64 X 33,000 litres =N2,112,000 (two million one hundred and twelve thousand) so you see an investment of two million plus you are getting 33,000 naira so u see money is not easy but b`cos people want fast money dey will begin to sell black market and dey will do anything to remove GEJ so that dey will have their way but  i say no to such so this period of election vote wisely
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 05, 2011
It is funny that we have a country where a man is sent to jail for stealing a goat and another is given a slap on the wrist for stealing billions of naira. We will have our backs to the wall as long as we have a corrupt judiciary. Whenever there is any judgement that they consider 'landmark' they are quick to come to the TV to tell us how the court is the last hope of the common man, please how 'common' is common in Nigeria?

Nigerian judiciary is a huge joke.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by ICEGLO1: 6:27pm On Apr 05, 2011
yyyy erastus
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by seguno2: 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2011
we all say corruption must be dealt with and that is widespread in Nigeria.
How many of us live on our legitimate income?
How many of us know how much salary our parents, uncles, aunties earn monthly and can compare with how much they spend?
Corruption lives with us daily and yet we can't take responsibility but expect some president-messiah to deal with it.
No wonder MOST don't even know there LG name talk less of knowing the indivduals running to be their reps and senators for the postponed elections.
Crazy!
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by slap1(m): 6:51pm On Apr 05, 2011
aguiyi:

where did you get this from
Read the first sentence of the post again, I believe I got it from there.
Re: Uk High Court Orders, Erastus Akingbola, To Surrender £68 Million To Ib Plc by slymm(f): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2011
judiciary a joke The entire efiing country is a huge joke.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Having Problem To Generate My Gtb Naira Mastercard Securecode / Take Up My Potato/plantain Chips Business / Ideas For Starting A Nigerian Business With $1-5 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.