Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim (32536 Views)

Suspension: No Regret Backing APC In Ebonyi, Says Anyim Pius Anyim / Yahaya Bello's Supporters Deny VP Slot, Says Opponents Afraid of His Rising Name / Edwin Clark: No Igbo-Speaking Person From Delta, Rivers Should Contest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by blamingthedevil: 2:27am On Jan 30, 2021
A former President of the Senate, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, at the weekend restated his support for zoning of political offices in the country.

But he said “political office zoned to the Southeast does not extend to Igbos from a zone outside the Southeeast political zone.”

States like Delta, Rivers, Edo and Benue states have Igbo speaking people with some, including Transportation Minister and former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, reported to be eyeing the Presidency in 2013.

The Southeast has been strident in its demand to have a shot at the Presidency after President Muhammadu Buhari’s tenure on the grounds of equity and justice.

Anyim, while delivering the 6th World Igbo Summit lecture attended by prominent Igbo statesmen at Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State, suggested the need for the Southeast to constructively and creatively engage other geo-political zones in the country to make its clamour for Igbo President in 2023 a reality.

The engagement, according to him, will engender confidence and create an opportunity for making the necessary compromises to secure their (other zones) support and votes.

The lecture was titled “Identifying the political interest of the Igbos of the Southeast geo-Political zone in Nigeria and Strategies for Its actualization.”

The former Secretary to the Government of the Federation under the Goodluck Jonathan administration, advised the Igbo to have it at the back of their minds that Igbo President would not come to them as a “gift” but something that they must work hard for.

He pointed out that the concept of equal citizenship means that the nation, its resources, and leadership belong to all Nigerians.

His words “The rotation of prime positions among geopolitical zones has no doubt become a common practice such that, its breach generates political discontent.

“The point to note is that a political benefit accruing to any geo-political zone cannot be satisfied by appointing any person outside of that geo-political zone irrespective of commonality of language or culture, i.e. political office zoned to the Southeast does not extend to Igbos from a zone outside the Southeeast political zone.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/2023-igbo-in-delta-rivers-cant-use-southeast-slot-says-anyim/

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by osarog: 2:29am On Jan 30, 2021
Whether you like it or not Chibuike Ameachi is from Igbo.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Mokason288(m): 2:32am On Jan 30, 2021
He has a point if you ask me

I’m from Delta state, Asaba precisely

I speak Igbo , I have an Igbo name

But I never agree I’m Igbo

I will always tell you I’m Anioma and I speak Aniotha

We are not Igbo

MODIFIED ... Just as Hausa Fulani, is different from Fulani
A Fulani man will never allow Hausa man to rule over him or consider both of them equals

Igbos in Delta and the rest places see themselves as south South and never south East

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

120 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by privaldo: 2:58am On Jan 30, 2021
undecided Age is really telling on Pius Anyim, no wonder he doesn't think properly.

Igbos should learn to stop referring to those Igbos outside the SE like people from other tribes. An Igbo man is an Igbo man, whether he's from Etche in Rivers, Anioma in Delta, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, or Gabon, it dosn't change the fact he's an Igbo man. Boundaries shouldn't define ones Igbo affinity.

Ohaneze Ndi Igbo should have been at the forefront of correcting this error but, it seems they are also among those fuelling it for their political gains.

A Jew will first identify as a Jew before referring to any other nationality, so the same should imply for Ndi Igbos. AN IGBO MAN IS AN IGBO MAN.

In my opinion, I don't even think fighting for the Presidency is worth it, we should be talking about developing Ala Igbo to be a world class economy and not falling for this political scheme by these politicians, who are doing this for their benefit. A world class economy would allow us have massive leverage, which in turn would allow us dictate the flow of the tide.

120 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by orisa37: 3:26am On Jan 30, 2021
A WHOLE AYIM TALKING ABOUT SLOT IN THE 21st CENTURY? WHAT A SHAME?

JUSTICE IN UNITY IS DEMOCRACY. RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA AND LET US HAVE ELECTIONS NOT SELECTIONS.

AYIM PLEASE BE A FIGHTER FOR RESTRUCTURING SO YOU TOO CAN BE PRESIDENT IN 2023

11 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Formularcr7: 3:34am On Jan 30, 2021
That's why we have 6 zones,we all know southeast is different from southsouth.

16 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by MightySparrow: 4:45am On Jan 30, 2021
Kaduna Ezeogu, Ebele Jonathan, Matthew Obasanjo, Rotimi Amaech are Igbo.

Tinubu Tochi, Igbo man, 2023!

20 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by pyyxxaro: 5:04am On Jan 30, 2021
So Agbor people nor be Igbo again

This Country is just complicated

17 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by helinues: 5:06am On Jan 30, 2021
They are yet to give them the presidency oo but already tearing themselves apart

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Rugaria: 5:12am On Jan 30, 2021
privaldo:
undecided Age is really telling on Pius Anyim, no wonder he doesn't think properly.

Igbos should learn to stop referring to those Igbos outside the SE like people from other tribes. An Igbo man is an Igbo man, whether he's from Etche in Rivers, Anioma in Delta, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, or Gabon, it dosn't change the fact he's an Igbo man. Boundaries shouldn't define ones Igbo affinity.

Ohaneze Ndi Igbo should have been at the forefront of correcting this error but, it seems they are also among those fuelling it for their political gains.

A Jew will first identify as a Jew before referring to any other nationality, so the same should imply for Ndi Igbos. AN IGBO MAN IS AN IGBO MAN.

In my opinion, I don't even think fighting for the Presidency is worth it, we should be talking about developing Ala Igbo to be a world class economy and not falling for this political scheme by these politicians, who are doing this for their benefit. A world class economy would allow us have massive leverage, which in turn would allow us dictate the flow of the tide.

2 things that are fatally wrong with your submission above:

1) Igbos in the south east are not the ones pushing away Igbos from other areas! On the contrary, Igbos from other areas, especially the fulani invented "south south" are the ones fiercely clamouring for a separate identity! The only time you see Igbos from the south south speak up about how they're being pushed away from their so-called Igbo heritage is during times like this..This forum is littered with so many examples of this! We have threads here where for many pages, it was a tug of war as some BROTHERS from mainly Rivers State and Delta State unleashed all sorts of diatribes on the igbo, simply because in the heat of the political persecution going on against the igboman at the moment, it looks convenient for folks to claim a new identity! That in my opinion is evil and should be condemned! Essentially, your advice should go to the Igbos in other regions to man up, actively identify with their kind in the hinterlands and boldily move forward to possess their possessions!

2) You also get it wrong when you talk of creating a "world class igbo economy" within Nigeria, without the Igbos not being interested in the leadership positions/decisions in Nigeria. That can't work my brother! Folks easily forget that politics come first before the economics. You can't get the right economic policies you need to create a versatile economy, if your traducer is in charge of making political decisions over your head on a daily basis! To even create an export oriented economy for instance, you need to get the macro/micro economic policies right! The CBN for instance, needs to get the fiscal and monetary policies right! Otherwise the final prices of your goods will struggle against the prices of similar goods from other competing economies.. That's just one single consequence of having the CBN governor making policies that run contrary to your interest! Who appoints the CBN governor? It's the president! So how can you create an economy that's competitive enough, if you have a hate filled president appointing officers who will make policies that will kill your initiatives?

High exchange rate means costly prices for raw materials to be imported. It means costly imported machinery since we import most, it means highly costly remuneration policies for foreign expats who might be needed to help with setting up some manufacturing processes.., the list is endless. . We haven't even gone to policies related to setting up the basic infastructures needed to fast track the course of rapid industrialization such as power projects, rail ways, gas distribution, roads, ports, soft loans to SMEs etc... You need to have the right policies at the center to make this happen! Look at how Obasanjo turned Ottah into a manufacturing hub with the gas line biuld up.., look at how Buhari is doing the same in Kaduna. How can any eastern city compete with those cities if policy makers deliberately starved the eastern cities of such foundamental structural investments?

130 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by 9japride(m): 6:16am On Jan 30, 2021
Its very terrible that most youths can't read and understand these days. I believe most comments on this topic are made out of prejudice. The message is as clear as sunlight, the south eastern region needs to be given the presidential slot and not any other region. After all, other regions in the south has held the position of the president. Now because of presidential ambition a lot of confused people will start claiming Igbo, but when the chips are down they will reject being Igbo. We play a very mischievous, petty, wicked and winner take it all politics in this country. Always wanting to oppress the other person. That's why we end up electing criminal elements into position of power just to harm the other tribe, Nigerians really need to grow up. Trolling online no be work!

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:19am On Jan 30, 2021
privaldo:

you maybe right my brother but those igbos in other states outside the south east are yet to come to terms that they are igbos or trace their origin to igbo.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Olatomiwami(m): 6:26am On Jan 30, 2021
Formularcr7:
That's why we have 6 zones,we all know southeast is different from southsouth.

MNK claimed all SE, SS are Alaigbo, what's Pius saying? I beg this people inconsistencies is from another world.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 30, 2021
privaldo:

the man is trying to say southeast slot should not be going to the South South. always read with your brain. I am not from the southeast but I understand what he is trying to say.

84 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Racoon(m): 6:57am On Jan 30, 2021
privaldo:
..Igbos should learn to stop referring to those Igbos outside the SE like people from other tribes. An Igbo man is an Igbo man, whether he's from Etche in Rivers, Anioma in Delta, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, or Gabon, it dosn't change the fact he's an Igbo man. Boundaries shouldn't define ones Igbo affinity.

I n my opinion, I don't even think fighting for the Presidency is worth it, we should be talking about developing Ala Igbo to be a world class economy and not falling for this political scheme by these politicians, who are doing this for their benefit. A world class economy would allow us have massive leverage, which in turn would allow us dictate the flow of the tide.
Perfect! I totally agree with you.However, there is nothing that can be done about Igbos who deliberately deny their ancestry.

12 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Armaggedon: 6:58am On Jan 30, 2021
political jobbers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 30, 2021
Realerreal:
Hahaha Igbos can never be United! If you are not from Anambra, Enugu or IMO and call yourself Igbo, they will abandon you!

We can see how united you are by mining your brothers skull. Skull mining is a sign of love and unity in ur place

45 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Jagznation(m): 7:06am On Jan 30, 2021
This is Fact ....when it is time for appointment they become igbo but when its time to defend the igbo nation... nooooo me i be niger delta I no be igbo....I so much hate that statement undecided

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Nigercity: 7:11am On Jan 30, 2021
The truth is
The Delta ibos except some few communites in Ika
And the numerous Igbos like etche, omuma,oyibo e.t c (excluding ikwerre) have never denied there igboness even here on Nairaland
The people who always shout there are no Igbos in South/south are the ikwerres and the ijaws (with the other minorities tribe in SS) especially the ijaws who feels so much insecured about Igbos in ss (maybe becose of the Niger Delta republic dream which the wants to create with the same Igbos in SS)
And the are just the loudest, check anyone who says the are no Igbos in SS it must definitely be an ijaw man or something an ikwerre man,
Go to there Facebook group, infact everywhere the Only thing the discuss is anti Igbo,

The Igbos Rivers aside ikwerre and the ones in Delta aside Ika are very pro Igbo even here on Nairaland
Check out cjrane and co, even the other woman from Delta
So Igbos from SE should stop generalizing Igbo denials to all Igbos in SS
I could remember some years Igbo the current Delta state governor promised to make Igbo language compulsory in all school across Delta North (Delta Igbo).
Infact onistha and Asaba speaks the same language and are the same people, just separate by state creation..

So Igbos in South south are always pro Igbos
The online trolls mostly comes from other minorities tribe in SS who are insecured about there region
The yoruba people who also says there are no Igbos in SS are just ignorant or just doing for trolls

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by aribisala0(m): 7:12am On Jan 30, 2021
There is nothing like South East , South West , North Central etc

in ANY LAW , gazettes or official or formal enactment in Nigeria.

It is just something that politicians described with mouth just like North and South or Hausa/Fulani.

We all know what it means but it has NO OFFICIAL STATUS in any law and has no legal or formal meaning

Just like a live in lover with no marriage certificate

Many people ignorantly believe it has some legal basis but they should go and check when those terms first came into our vocabulary and HOW

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by ThatFairGuy1: 7:22am On Jan 30, 2021
So this people are just disguising with THEY'RE OUR BROTHERS' claim grin
Nwanyiogwashi, hope you are seeing this

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Thewrath(m): 7:28am On Jan 30, 2021
helinues:
They are yet to give them the presidency oo but already tearing themselves apart
Tearing what apart? Is it not Nigeria that divided it into SS and SE? Why should you then appoint SS and then say it’s for SE,brain dey pain you?

45 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by helinues: 7:29am On Jan 30, 2021
Thewrath:

Tearing what apart? Is it not Nigeria that divided it into SS and SE? Why should you then appoint SS and then say it’s for SE,brain dey pain you?

Hahahahaha

Are you guys no longer we SE/SS? On top ordinary appointment...

So una water fit cook fish? grin cheesy

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Thewrath(m): 7:32am On Jan 30, 2021
helinues:

Hahahahaha

Are you guys no longer we SE/SS? On top ordinary appointment...

So una water fit cook fish? grin cheesy
Are we SS/SE only when it pleases you?

39 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by helinues: 7:34am On Jan 30, 2021
Thewrath:

Are we SS/SE only when it pleases you?

You guys are inseparable remember?

Or who are the people who claimed that in the past?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by sammyj: 7:39am On Jan 30, 2021
This man must be high on Swedile and Ugali weed at the same time. Just imagine how some Igbo leaders are marginalising themselves !! angry

1 Like

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Thewrath(m): 7:39am On Jan 30, 2021
helinues:

You guys are inseparable remember?

Or who are the people who claimed that in the past?
That is our bussiness,let us handle that..but when you only recognize SE as igbos,then if you want to appoint igbo it must go to SE.
Give to SE what belongs to SE and SS what Belongs to SS....we will handle ourself back home coz na one papa born us.

12 Likes

Re: 2023: Igbo In Delta, Rivers Can’t Use Southeast Slot, Says Anyim by Ojiofor: 7:40am On Jan 30, 2021
pyyxxaro:
So Agbor people nor be Igbo again

This Country is just complicated

They are igbo from South South.
Can a Yoruba from kwara or Kogi take political position reserved for South West?
Can South South allow someone from South East to take something reserved for their zone?

70 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Tribunal Scolds APC’s Lawyer Who Complained After 8 Hours / Tinubu Warns Jonathan Against Fani-kayode / Buhari Kicks Against Same Currency For West Africa By 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.