Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,095 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:49 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (71961 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 2:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Caaz: 5:20pm On Jan 30, 2021
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.

295 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
Caaz:
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.
Not at all. She's her child. The girl even resembles her grandmother well.

***""Modified
**I need to report the latest about this girl.**

We recently use the STC30 therapy for my neighbour's sickle cell 5 year old daughter when she started having crises again.

Let me tell you a little about her. She was admitted for about 3 weeks at Ilaro State hospital and was referred to FMC for better treatment. She spent about 3 weeks again there before she got better and discharged.

Then after less than a month her crises started again. So the mother asked for the STC30 therapy because we have told her about it before.

The results were positive. The girl that could not sleep, play or go to school has started running around now. No pains again. People, I tell you, this STC30 therapy is just wonderful.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Winneygirl(f): 7:18pm On Jan 30, 2021
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

1320 Likes 83 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by NoToPile: 7:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Winneygirl(f): 7:29pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.

7 times??

494 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by NoToPile: 7:31pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:

7 times

Considering how mistakes happen here, its not out of place.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Winneygirl(f): 7:41pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

1,2,3, maybe 4 times might be considered being cautious.
But 5,6,7 times seems out of place to me.
We don't know her family history. We don't know if she has a sickle cell sibling.

Something made her jittery enough to keep running the test even after marriage.
That is the missing piece of information.

710 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ishilove: 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
The woman has not yet told us how that child turned out to be SS. I put it to you that she was always AS and she knew, but maybe desperation pushed her into lying to her husband about her genotype. How can she consistently do tests over a number of years and the result is always AA, but this one time when the child is confirmed to have sickle cell anemia, she does another test and voila, she is AS. Just one time.

She is a liar and a very terrible person. Now she has brought an innocent child to suffer

613 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ishilove: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

And all the 7 tests confirmed she was AA prior to the child's diagnosis, but after diagnosis the result turns to AS? How very convenient

349 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 7:56pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

The woman has not yet told us how that child turned out to be SS. I put it to you that she was always AS and she knew, but maybe desperation pushed her into lying to her husband about her genotype. How can she consistently do tests over a number of years and the result is always AA, but this one time when the child is confirmed to have sickle cell anemia, she does another test and voila, she is AS. Just one time.

She is a liar and a very terrible person. Now she has brought an innocent child to suffer

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.

I need the medical persons to come and say something on this matter. I have just learned that to detect certain AS genotype used to be problematic in the laboratories. Please medical people, over to you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ishilove: 8:01pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

I tell you, she is a very upright person but the fault is with the inexperienced personnels in the various labs.
And you know she is upright because...? Don't be fooled by looks. Daggers are hidden in men's smiles.

I can understand and blame inexperience for 1,2, perhaps 3 tests, but 4, 5, 6 and 7? From different labs? Puhleeze! 7 different labs, 7 different lab technicians, 7 different tests, all AA. And you believe her. undecided If Nigerian labs were so bad half of us would be dead by now because of wrong test results.

Stop being wilfully naive.

516 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 8:03pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:

We don't know her family history. We don't know if she has a sickle cell sibling.

She felt she might not be AA because she does not often fall sick of malaria like it used to happen to most AAs. That's why she did it repeatedly before marriage.

Edited

Now I now have better information. I gather from her discussion with my wife new angle to it. I think in one of the initial tests carried out in a government hospital in South East she has been informed of beta thalasemia in her blood but because she did not understand as a young girl, she started going to other labs for retest and others gave her the AA results.

9 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 8:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

And you know she is upright because...? Don't be fooled by looks. Daggers are hidden in men's smiles.

I can understand and blame inexperience for 1,2, perhaps 3 tests, but 4, 5, 6 and 7? From different labs? Puhleeze! 7 different labs, 7 different lab technicians, 7 different tests, all AA. And you're believe her. undecided If Nigerian labs were so bad half of us would be dead by now because of wrong test results.

Stop being wilfully naive.
You need to hear from laboratory practitioners before you jump into conclusions and castigate an innocent person OK. My wife is a laboratory practitioner and informed me how tedious it used to be with certain AS blood sample and how it always show as AA.

Besides, I reported that even twice during antenatal in a government hospital, her results came as AA. So is it her fault?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 8:15pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

I want to thank you for this intelligent post. That's exactly what happened before she committed to her fiance. Her husband confirmed it this afternoon.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Acidosis(m): 8:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
I want to thank you for this intelligent post. That's exactly what happened before she committed to her fiance. Her husband confirmed it this afternoon.

There's a loophole in your write-up bro. The level of certainty you have displayed on the thread is too high to believe the lady is your neighbour. You don't even know her until she moved in with her husband, your neighbour, so where's the confidence coming from?

My point is you barely know this woman. Stop being too confident okay?

It's even possible that the husband is also aware of her AS status before marriage. They got married with the hope of raising AS/AA children. Some couples who got blinded with love took this risk. Since their plan turned out this way, of course, they needed to come up with a story so the world won't blame them.

That being said, you should speak with a medical practitioner if your assertions are correct.

242 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by felong(m): 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
It's a spiritual case

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by MisterGrace: 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
1. There could be things that she alone knows that others don't.

2. This issue is very complicated since you said the child is actually hers.

9 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Simplebeauty: 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
undecided
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Mopolchi: 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
Oluwole and signs genotype naim dem dash you before ni

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Zico5(m): 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
That's why God is the ultimate in life. I can't call this error but just pure hands of God to show that he is the omnipotent. I married 12 years ago. I knew that I am AS but did not even bother to ask my wife for good 3 years. I was really afraid when she told me she is AS and she is ready to go along with me despite knowing I'm also AS. I wish to back off but my relatives and my pastor encourage me to go ahead. Upon advice and counter advice we eventually married. The first few years were really tense especially when I gave birth to my daughter. If u are of little faith please don't do it o. A little cold like this can lead to hypertension. I promise God that if the second child is a boy I won't give birth again. Thank God he is a boy. The boy was sick last year and my wife secretly did their genotype without telling me. I was really afraid cos she kept the results for six months. I instantly asked her to bring it "Eekan lomokurin nku". Though I have no fear about the first daughter because she is already 10 and in JSS 2 class but I'm afraid for the boy. Low and behold I opened it. They are both AA to God glory. Well, my advice is that don't try it if ur faith can carry it. But I think some situation is better left to God to handle. Error can happen here and there. As well, what will u do if ur child is deaf and dumb. May God almighty guide us right.

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by NoToPile: 8:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

And all the 7 tests confirmed she was AA prior to the child's diagnosis, but after diagnosis the result turns to AS? How very convenient

If one lab can make a mistake, 7 random substandard labs can also make the same mistake. That's my point.

There's no point trying to prove if the woman is Inocent or guilty.

My own friend also felt she was AA, done tests and all that. We went to do free medicals at military hospital as corpers that's how result said AS, she challenged the result that its not possible, the lab re-ran the test and it was still AS. Her only saving grace was her fiance was also AA, seems they also had to go and reconfirm that too before they eventually got married.

15 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by JovialJune(f): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:

Then tell us what you feel is jittery that made her do the test 7 times na, doing multiple tests is not out of place, abi don't you know how some stupid labs dish out wrong test results at will? Tell us what you feel, let Op inform abi question the lady, then give you feedback, abi?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by optimusprime2(m): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
Since alot of things in this story sound curious already, amongst other tests and analytics,

Paternity test is required...

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by SILVERLINES: 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
cheesy
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by EmmaOgbu(m): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
It is either the woman is not saying the truth or the village people.

7 tests from both government and private labs.
Am a Medical Laboratory Scientist, I know what am saying.
Genotype test is not a test you can just do within few minutes and zoom, the result is out.

20 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thundafire: 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
wink

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
Make una pet am well, she go tell una the truth.
Bribe her if neccesary

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by RRodwave(m): 8:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
cry

Na who to blame

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Family Welcomes First Daughter Since 1885 - After 138 Years with pictures / Man Buys Venza For His Mother After Selling Her Car To Travel Abroad / Cobra And Monitor Lizard Killed In A Bed Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.