Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,050 members, 7,807,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? (3545 Views)

He is offended by my way of greeting - advice needed / I'm Somali Why Do Blacks Get Mad When I Say That I'm Not Black? / Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Kreyolbobo: 6:33am On Apr 06, 2011
To many Blacks outside of Africa, being called an African is an insult? who is to blame the media or the elders? Why is everything of disgust associated with Africa?
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Thirst4Lif: 7:59am On Apr 06, 2011
African Americans insisted on the name themselves so I don't think you're referring to them.

Blacks outside of Africa

Where are these Blacks located?
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by lovelylady: 7:43pm On Apr 07, 2011
Kreyolbobo:

To many Blacks outside of Africa, being called an African is an insult? who is to blame the media or the elders? Why is everything of disgust associated with Africa?

Do you really see it like that? I have never seen it as people being insulted or offended for being called an African. People have pride in who they are and where they come from. They all have their own distinctive cultures and like to be identified as such. I can't speak for everyone but thats just how I see it.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 07, 2011
lovelylady:

Do you really see it like that? I have never seen it as people being insulted or offended for being called an African. People have pride in who they are and where they come from. They all have their own distinctive cultures and like to be identified as such. I can't speak for everyone but thats just how I see it.

I agree with you, as an afro-trini i have no problem with being called african as in my ethnicity. However i am really proud to be a trini so if someone thinks that i'm from Africa i will simply correct them and let them know that 'african is my ethnicity but trini thats my nationality'. It has nothing to do with being insulted, ashamed or whatever.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 07, 2011
just one of those things @ topic.

just like your thread title says, they're non-african blacks.

no biggie, imo.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by NYWM1(m): 9:38pm On May 13, 2011
caribchic:

I agree with you, as an afro-trini i have no problem with being called african as in my ethnicity. However i am really proud to be a trini so if someone thinks that i'm from Africa i will simply correct them and let them know that 'african is my ethnicity but trini thats my nationality'. It has nothing to do with being insulted, ashamed or whatever.
Caribchic, I have a friend who is an Afro-Trinidadian woman. Just like you, she refers to her ethnicity as African, especially in the context of distinguishing from Trinidadians of Indian descent.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by TribalLord(m): 6:02am On May 14, 2011
For many blacks in America we were basically given the impression of a Africa that is primitive and cannibalistic that was uncvilized. So growing up in a western culture being directly and indirectly conditioned. Anything of africa was something to be ashamed about. This is why you will hear the term nappy be used in a negative conotation.

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 23, 2012
Because of the stereotypes that's one reason but people like this one:

tpiah!:

just one of those things @ topic.

just like your thread title says, they're non-african blacks.

no biggie, imo.

account the reason for the rift BIG TIME!! that particular comment is not the issue,
the person is.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by tpia5: 12:28am On Jan 24, 2012
please bang your ugly head against a wall if people like me are preventing you from being called african.

humans are discussing, pig dey put mouth.

beast of no nation.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by tpia5: 12:35am On Jan 24, 2012
when i was asking this goat why she spends all her waking moments on a nigerian site [dont know if all the AA and jamaican sites have shut down], the senseless mods were busy deleting my comments.

see una lives now?
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by darmeelare(m): 12:39am On Jan 24, 2012
am proud 2 b 9ja, ask y cool cheesy smiley

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 2:57am On Jan 25, 2012
Snapping turtle.

BEAST of all nations  tongue. You this menopausal fo0l. Cannot produce children but all over NL talking shiet tongue Instead on coming on here EVERYDAY, [size=18pt]as a senior citizen[/size], you ought to be doing something constructive with your sad life. Older than my mother but on the internet 24/7 with 500 different accounts. Mad @ the world because you have yet to be toasted (though you look it!  tongue). Ebola infected silver back gorilla. I mean REALLY though, look @ yourself. tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 3:05am On Jan 25, 2012
AS USUAL! i submit and your "online" light comes on.

Jobless scunt!  grin
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by tpia5: 3:06am On Jan 25, 2012
what is it with these witches and children!!!!

k'oloun gba igi mo enu gbogbo yin o!!!
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 3:10am On Jan 25, 2012
tpia@:

what is it with these witches and children!!!!

k'oloun gba igi mo enu gbogbo yin o!!!

kjdojojo efjoejfoejd gjojg

to you too trick.  tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:10am On Jan 25, 2012
AA's WANT to be called African. But they are nothing more than mixed breeds. cheesy
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by anonymous6(f): 5:30pm On Jan 25, 2012
Kreyolbobo:

It depends actually but I have noticed what you said especially with african americans and Black latino's however I have seen some who are proud to be called african but I have to be perfectly honest besides their ethnicity historically they are not culturally African any more, they have their own cultures; Caribbean Black's have their own culture, Black Latino's have their own culture and the same with Black americans, their so far removed from Africa now. Almost all don't know their tribe of country they are from in Africa, all they know is that their ancestors are from the continent of Africa and that's where it ends. I have witnessed many Black americans refuse to be called African because of the reason I just stated above, even disgraced presidential candidate Hermain Cain refuse to call himself African. The reasons behind it can be both their elders and Media from my experience.

Besides that why should Africans really be concerned about this, they have nothing to lose either way. If this were people born in the western world from african parents then I would understand your concern but with Black diasporians, well they have the right not to be called african because culturally they are not any more and africans shouldn't even be surprised by this any way.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 25, 2012
Once you are black, you are African. Period. Yeah I have had issues with the subject in the past but at the end of the day that statement is real. Whether or not someone likes it wants to admit it, its true. Whether or not you can identify a "tribe" means nothing. Nor does language or "culture" as there is no such thing as a "unified african culture".

PAGAN 9JA:

AA's WANT to be called African. But they are nothing more than mixed breeds. cheesy

And thank God we are mixed. One of the few positive things that occurred as a result of slavery is our mixed heritage.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:27am On Jan 26, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

Once you are black, you are African. Period. Yeah I have had issues with the subject in the past but at the end of the day that statement is real. Whether or not someone likes it wants to admit it, its true. Whether or not you can identify a "tribe" means nothing. 

stop trying to underestimate our tribes all the time, you AA foolz. we are proud of our tribes that have helped preserve our culture, dignity, morals and respect for elders. you think you are so modern and superior to us tribesmen, YOU ARE WRONG. we are poor but we are happy. you are rich but your lives are so messed up. you ra.pe each other and your divorce rates are so high, etc.
your men dont respect your woman. at home they sexu.ally abuuse their wife and daughter and outside they do it to other women (and men). almost 1 in 4 AA women are abused. even oprah winfrey was abused.

you dont have any culture. your tribe is the DRUG PO.RN XTIAN GANG TRIBE! yes that is your culture and tribe. cheesy

MsDarkSkin:

Nor does language or "culture" as there is no such thing as a "unified african culture".
'

im glad you realised that. go tell your AA brothers in the Rascism section, who are parading around like fools talking about unified black race, when they are so heavily mixed and arent even African. the carib fellows are even more heavily mixed with indian natives.  angry tongue

and im not black. I AM DARK BROWN.

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by DaRapture: 5:03am On Jan 27, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

stop trying to underestimate our tribes all the time, you AA foolz. we are proud of our tribes that have helped preserve our culture, dignity, morals and respect for elders. you think you are so modern and superior to us tribesmen, YOU ARE WRONG. we are poor but we are happy. you are rich but your lives are so messed up. you ra.pe each other and your divorce rates are so high, etc.
your men dont respect your woman. at home they sexu.ally abuuse their wife and daughter and outside they do it to other women (and men). almost 1 in 4 AA women are abused. even oprah winfrey was abused.

you dont have any culture. your tribe is the DRUG PO.RN XTIAN GANG TRIBE! yes that is your culture and tribe. cheesy

'

im glad you realised that. go tell your AA brothers in the Rascism section, who are parading around like fools talking about unified black race, when they are so heavily mixed and arent even African. the carib fellows are even more heavily mixed with indian natives.  angry tongue

and im not black. I AM DARK BROWN.

cheesy You're a damn fool, continue on entertaining me with your words of wisdom, my servant.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Zilja(f): 9:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

I’m an AA however; I’m not mixed breed but I am proud of my black heritage.

There’s always a discussion as to why AA’s are on this board.

Many of your men are migrating from Nigeria to America, sending money (back home) to help the poor as you so stated. Marring our women just to receive papers to stay in the country and someday bring you here. Your men, who come to this country, lie and cheat their way into this modern society and, system but yet you have nerve to demean us. You benefit from what he sends home in one way or another. It is only fair that AA’s learn as much as we can in any way we can about your culture and traditions. I can’t speak for the other AA’s on this board, but I have learned a lot just reading the post. I see some of you think you are the greatest gift that God has created. We were all created in his image. In lieu of allowing yourself to be better, maybe you need to lift 1 another up no matter where we are from.

My people perish from a lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by DaRapture: 10:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
Zilja:

I’m an AA however; I’m not mixed breed but I am proud of my black heritage.

There’s always a discussion as to why AA’s are on this board.

Many of your men are migrating from Nigeria to America, sending money (back home) to help the poor as you so stated. Marring our women just to receive papers to stay in the country and someday bring you here. Your men, who come to this country, lie and cheat their way into this modern society and, system but yet you have nerve to demean us. You benefit from what he sends home in one way or another. It is only fair that AA’s learn as much as we can in any way we can about your culture and traditions. I can’t speak for the other AA’s on this board, but I have learned a lot just reading the post. I see some of you think you are the greatest gift that God has created. We were all created in his image. In lieu of allowing yourself to be better, maybe you need to lift 1 another up no matter where we are from.

My people perish from a lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6

undecided WHOA, slow down, you give that Fool too much acknowledgement, he's here for our entertainment, just laugh and pass. wink
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Zilja(f): 11:40pm On Feb 03, 2012
DaRapture:

undecided WHOA, slow down,  you give that Fool too much acknowledgement, he's here for our entertainment, just laugh and pass.   wink

J^^^ got cha!  lipsrsealed
just saying   grin
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by MrsChima(f): 11:53pm On Nov 23, 2012
Why do Africans get mad when they are called black
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by basra: 5:39am On Nov 25, 2012
Am glad people call me somali and not african or black.

African typically along with black means ugly.

example. you have such african features.

also Being called Somali/ethiopian is a compliment.

if i tell a nigerian, omg you look somali...they take that as a compliment.

if you tell a somali/ethiopian that they look nigerian or ghanian etc. its an insult.

dont believe me? go ahead and try it out.

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Horus(m): 2:27pm On Nov 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLq4gyTCzxs

Peter Tosh - African

[size=17pt]Lyrics of the song[/size]

Don't care where you come from
As long as you're a black man, you're an African
No mind your nationality
You have got the identity of an African

'Cause if you come from Clarendon
(You are an African)
And if you come from Portland
(You are an African)
And if you come from Westmoreland, you're an African

So don't care where you come from
No mind your nationality
You've got the identity of an African

'Cause if you come Trinidad
(You are an African)
And if you come from Nassau
(You are an African)
And if you come from Cuba, you're an African

No mind your complexion
There is no rejection, you're an African

'Cause if your plexion high, high, high
If your complexion low, low
And if your plexion in between, you're an African

No mind denomination
That is only segregation, you're an African

'Cause if you go to the Catholic
(You are an African)
And if you go to the Methodist

(You are an African)
And if you go to the Church of Gods, you're an African

No mind your nationality
You have got the identity of an African

'Cause if you come from Brixton
(You are an African)
And if you come from Weesday
(You are an African)
And if you come from Wingstead
(You are an African)

And if you come from France
(You are an African)
And if you come from Brooklyn
(You are an African)

And if you come from Queens
(You are an African)
And if you come from Manhattan
(You are an African)

And if you come from Canada
(You are an African)
And if you come from Miami
(You are an African)

And if you come from Switzerland
(You are an African)
And if you come from Germany
(You are an African)

And if you come from Russia
(You are an African)
And if you come from Taiwan
(You are an African)
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Goop: 12:01am On Nov 26, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

This has got to be the biggest case of the pot calling the kettle black I have ever seen in my entire life, especically considering African men worldwide are pound for pound considered the most barbaric, deranged, child-r&pe-happy, apes to ever walk this earth. Why do you think it's so hard to get your visas approved to enter the civilized world? And I don't know where you pulled that bogus stat out of your ass about AA men sexually abusing children(Of course, it happens, but I know for certain that's it's not statistically 1 and 4), but since you brought it up lets take a look at how Ape Escaped Nigerian men handle their women & girls

According to a recent study conducted in the Osun and Oyo states in Nigeria, 80% of the 3,118 female students surveyed had experienced sexual abuse. That puts the number of students who have experienced sexual abuse at 2,500 or higher in the two states, a staggering statistic. Of those who had been abused, 31% had experienced abuse before the age of 13, and 80% before the age of 18. Many had experienced abuse in their own homes, at the hands of people who the young women might easily trust: family members, teachers, religious leaders, neighbors, and male friends, among others.
http://www.openequalfree.org/nigerian-school-girls-experience-high-rates-of-sexual-abuse-troubling-statistics/15501

Happy? Yeah, I bet you animalistic, two-faced, billa-bong, f&cks do put on that fake sh*t-grinned smile, in the wake of all this debauchery happening in the newly-dubbed kidnap captial of the world known as Nigeria . The same creepy, deceitful, sh*t-eating, grin that you use when you engage in 419 scams against innocent people, and other acts of criminality at home and ABROAD! So, while you "noble" tribesmen keep telling little girls that it's "tradition" for you to deflower and steal their innocents from them, so they don't go to the authorities(like Nigerian police even do sh*t anyway), you'll continue to have your precious natural resources siphoned by large foreign firms and corps like Exxon, and look at your greedy leaders tucked away, in some enclosed subdivision from you low class primitive tribe apes who are being exploited.

1 Like

Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by MrsChima(f): 11:30am On Nov 26, 2012
Lawd!
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by kannymoore(m): 1:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
Well, if i were a black guy from Paupa New Guinea or an Australian Aborigine or from the Maldives Islands and I'm being referrred to as an African, I might certainly take offence you know....lol!
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by kannymoore(m): 1:26pm On Nov 26, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Once you are black, you are African. Period...."

erm... @ MsDarkSkin... I'm not so sure about that bit o... Cos despite the austrailian aborigines dark skin and all, they arent refererred to as Africans in any way....and ditto the dark guys from Paupa New Guinea too.
Re: Why Non-africans Blacks Get Offended When They Are Called "african"? by Nobody: 5:00am On Nov 28, 2012
ok

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Kambarin, Koma And Jibu Tribes In Nigeria Who Don’t Wear Cloths. / It Looks Like I Need To Go Back To Naija / Why Are Ijebu People Always Stingy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.