Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Men And Women Are Equal! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men And Women Are Equal! (7146 Views)

Men And Women Divorce Over Sex Starvation / Read A Lady's Take On Woman Claiming Equal Rights With Men + Photo / Why Do Men And Women In Diaspora Come To Naija To Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 5:39pm On Jul 19, 2006
i know damn well that the truck pushers in naija are hardworking and most of them cant read and write.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 5:42pm On Jul 19, 2006
diddy4:

i know damn well that the truck pushers in naija are hardworking and most of them can't read and write.

But they ARE intelligent in their domain. They don't have to be litterates to be considered as intelligent people. That's not what it's about. The fact that you do well in what you do, the fact that you know what to do, the fact that you do what you do and don't screw up are traits of being intelligent. Intelligence isn't about reading and writing.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 5:50pm On Jul 19, 2006
mo ti gbo
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2006
In English? Sorry.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2006
i hear you. my bad. i misunderstood the concept.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2006
Oh. Mo ti gbo. Lol!
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2006
cheesy wink
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Viper(m): 6:53pm On Jul 19, 2006
If i cyber-slap ypou this thread starter angry, which kain equality?
oya run into the kitchen nana nana grin
You ladies should leave us oo and return to your positions, cooking our foods and rubbing our chests when we are tired, i mean cheesy

seriosuly, men are above women we can't help it. It's not our fault cry God made it like that grin
Wetin sef!! angry We were made first naw so wetin! angry
Man is the head no way you can change it.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by faa(f): 7:20pm On Jul 19, 2006
@ Viper

Where did you grow up? Life's changing you know and you don't want to be left behind. I'll advice you to grow up.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 7:35pm On Jul 19, 2006
WesleyanA:

so maybe you should visit a western forum and you might see an increasing female contribution to "serious" threads.

According to Seun, 60% of Nairaland members are based abroad. So what's your point?
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Viper(m): 7:39pm On Jul 19, 2006
faa:

@ Viper

Where did you grow up? Life's changing you know and you don't want to be left behind. I'll advice you to grow up.

I grew up in the bush behind your house cheesy
ok seriosuly you should have noticed my posts was for fun.
But for real though, Women can't be equal to men whether you babes like it or not.
It is this "the world is changing" attitude that is keeping many of you out of marriages.(For those of you that want to marry).
The bible states it: wives, submit to your husbands and husbands love your wifes like the church, something along those lines. Better re-structure your mind-set, our parents weren't stupid.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 7:52pm On Jul 19, 2006
diddy4:

a woman taking care of kids and working a full time job doesnt make her intelligent. no, it makes her hardworking.

Diddy was very correct. @Retro, you can't equate being intelligent with being hardworking. They are two different things. Brain is not the same as Power.

Viper:

If i cyber-slap ypou this thread starter angry, which kain equality?
oya run into the kitchen nana nana grin

*hurries off to the kitchen to prepare pounded-yam and Egusi soup for her Lord* angry angry

goodguy:

WesleyanA:

so maybe you should visit a western forum and you might see an increasing female contribution to "serious" threads.
According to Seun, 60% of Nairaland members are based abroad. So what's your point?

Actually I would say my posts are more than yours in those so-called serious threads e.g. Technology, Business. But since you said you are speaking in general terms, I take a bow out. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 7:56pm On Jul 19, 2006
IAH:

Diddy was very correct. @Retro, you can't equate being intelligent with being hardworking. They are two different things. Brain is not the same as Power.

You need brains to be a truck pusher. Why is intelligence always associated with reading and writing?
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kellorah: 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2006
intelligence is to do with common sense not just going to school and having As
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:02pm On Jul 19, 2006
I mean, it doesn't have to be general. You can be very intelligent at what you do . . . There are different forms/levels of intelligence. A hardworking woman IS an intelligent woman.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kellorah: 8:03pm On Jul 19, 2006
yep! a hardworking woman is an intelligent woman believe it or not
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 8:04pm On Jul 19, 2006
retro:

You need brains to be a truck pusher. Why is intelligence always associated with reading and writing?

No, it's not associated with reading and writing, it's associated with reasoning. When you are pushing a truck you are simply exerting force, energy, work - moving an object from point A to B. Of course, there is the natural intuition/instinct that helps you to know where to move the truck from and to, it does not need any intellectual reasoning.
So instinct is all a truck pusher needs. The higher level is intellectual reasoning. smiley
In short, Brain is different from Power and there's my native proverb that says "Brain is better than Power".
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by faa(f): 8:07pm On Jul 19, 2006
Viper:

I grew up in the bush behind your house cheesy
ok seriosuly you should have noticed my posts was for fun.
But for real though, Women can't be equal to men whether you babes like it or not.
It is this "the world is changing" attitude that is keeping many of you out of marriages.(For those of you that want to marry).
The bible states it: wives, submit to your husbands and husbands love your wifes like the church, something along those lines. Better re-structure your mind-set, our parents weren't stupid.

I don't think they were stupid either. I personally do not think men and women are equal but the upper hand doesn't have to be given to the man. It could swing either way. I think as long as respect is in the equation, equality will be taken with little importance.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:16pm On Jul 19, 2006
IAH:

No, it's not associated with reading and writing, it's associated with reasoning. When you are pushing a truck you are simply exerting force, energy, work - moving an object from point A to B. Of course, there is the natural intuition/instinct that helps you to know where to move the truck from and to, it does not need any intellectual reasoning.
So instinct is all a truck pusher needs. The higher level is intellectual reasoning. smiley
In short, Brain is different from Power and there's my native proverb that says "Brain is better than Power".

Erm, truck pushers in Nigeria are those who put trash in their trucks and recycle it, right? If I'm right, I'll continue.

Now, how's a hardworking mother not intelligent? That's something I'll love to know.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by kellorah: 8:17pm On Jul 19, 2006
lol
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:19pm On Jul 19, 2006
My mom is a hardworking mother, she doesn't work. How does that make her unintelligent?
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2006
retro:

Erm, truck pushers in Nigeria are those who put trash in their trucks and recycle it, right? If I'm right, I'll continue.

cheesy I thought you knew because you cited the example. Anyway, you are right.

retro:

Now, how's a hardworking mother not intelligent? That's something I'll love to know.

My point here is that a hardworking mother is not automatically or necessarily intelligent.

Now do you agree that you sometimes wash plates, clean, etc. and your mind won't even be there? You would be on a manual work yet your mind is elsewhere. That's not intelligence, intelligence involves the mind. It tasks the mind.

From dictionary, Intelligence "the capacity for thought and reason especially to a high degree."

Being able to scrub the floor, wash, push truck etc. is a manual skill, it involves more of the hands(or legs) and less of the brain. Intelligence (intellectual reasoning) involves the mind and brain. Not that you don't use your brain to wash, clean, push truck but you use very little of it. You can't be said to be intelligent when you are only using little of your brain. I would have loved to tell you how the brain itself works in these things but let's save the story for Jesus. cheesy

Hope I was clear enough?

1 Like

Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:40pm On Jul 19, 2006
I thought you knew because you cited the example. Anyway, you are right.

It wasn't my idea. Diddy used them as an example . . . I was actually wondering who they were. Lol

IAH:

My point here is that a hardworking mother is not automatically or necessarily intelligent.

Now do you agree that you sometimes wash plates, clean, etc. and your mind won't even be there? You would be on a manual work yet your mind is elsewhere. That's not intelligence, intelligence involves the mind. It tasks the mind.

From dictionary, Intelligence "the capacity for thought and reason especially to a high degree."

Being able to scrub the floor, wash, push truck etc. is a manual skill, it involves more of the hands(or legs) and less of the brain. Intelligence (intellectual reasoning) involves the mind and brain. Not that you don't use your brain to wash, clean, push truck but you use very little of it. You can't be said to be intelligent when you are only using little of your brain. I would have loved to tell you how the brain itself works in these things but let's save the story for Jesus. cheesy

Hope I was clear enough?

I totally understand you. It's just that, when it becomes a job you do to earn money . . . Oh well, you need to get inside my head in order to understand.

Your point is way more logical and correct than mine.

Kudos *gives flowers* . . . this forum needs more people like you who can explain without getting aggressive.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by IAH(f): 8:42pm On Jul 19, 2006
Thanks. I do understand what you are saying too. I do. cheesy
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by retro(f): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2006
Lol! Yay. You didn't even enter my head! Whoa! *Faints*.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 11:25pm On Jul 19, 2006
IAH:

Actually I would say my posts are more than yours in those so-called serious threads e.g. Technology, Business.

I guess you checked my profile statistics.  I tell you, it's misleading, really.  I'll explain.

Most of my posts (about 90%, out of the over 5000 posts) were made last year.  I usually feel embarrassed most times, whenever I remember those days when I spent most of my time in the Forum games and chatterbox (now offtopic) section of Nairaland.  However, these days, I hardly make any posts at all (as in, contribute actively) under any of these sections, except when it's unusually necessary.

Nonetheless, I do not dispute that fact that you are one of the very few Nairaland females whose posts are never found wanting in the serious-minded boards of the forum and I totally respect (and love like grin) you for that. wink 

To round off my talk, in defence of my past 'unseriousness', I will like you to know that I was a year older just 9 days ago.  Therefore, as Paul said, ". . . I put away childish things." (1 Cor 13:11) grin
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 11:34pm On Jul 19, 2006
@IAH

thanks for the help. i had a very bad headach today and i still have the thing. i just cudnt explain it as u did.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by goodguy(m): 11:43pm On Jul 19, 2006
diddy4:

i had a very bad headach today and i still have the thing. i just cudnt explain it as u did.

After initially admitting that you misunderstood the concept? grin

Ohh. . I didn't know headache affects thinking.  I once had a very terrible headache while in school and we were given a test.  I actually had the highest score in my class when our scripts were marked (straight up 100%!) wink

Also, even as I type now, I am ill but I don't think my illness has reflected in any of my posts. (I've been ill since monday embarassed)

Abeg, don't take this seriously o!  Even though I am serious. grin
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by diddy4(m): 11:47pm On Jul 19, 2006
no kidding man. i dont like to stress myself too much when i aint feeling fine. the best thing to do is to end it and hope someone else helps you out and dats what IAH did.

about your headach and test, try taking a calculus test with a banging headach then tell me how well you did.
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 5:11am On Jul 20, 2006
According to Seun, 60% of Nairaland members are based abroad.  So what's your point?

And maybe most of the few females that do participate in the "serious" boards are based abroad (the west). That's my point.

I've seen threads on this site where the guys get surprised when they see an active female in "their" boards. I don't know about you but i really don't see anything surprising about it.

If you put a male child and a female child in school, they do equally fine in all their academic areas.
It's only when a certain subject portrayed to be a mens only thing that women loose interest. That's why I used the Smith College example as an illustration. It's a "girls only" school, so the women are free to pursue whatever they want w/o restrictions. I probably will become a CEO and boss some men around when i graduate. j/k

nursing is now a "women" only thing so will it be right to say that nursing is less serious than lets say occupational driving?
I don't think any man would even want to become a nurse because it's a "woman's thing" just like many women aren't interested in engineering because it's "for" men.

women and men aren't equal but they should be and they will be with time.
Who knows? women might even overtake men at some point in time and it'll be the men's turn to create threads like these and complain.  tongue
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by WesleyanA(f): 5:16am On Jul 20, 2006
diddy4:

about your headach and test, try taking a calculus test with a banging headach then tell me how well you did.

shocked shocked lipsrsealed
You want to send Goodguy to his early death!!?  shocked
Re: Men And Women Are Equal! by Zahymaka(m): 5:18am On Jul 20, 2006
WesleyanA:

nursing is now a "women" only thing so will it be right to say that nursing is less serious than lets say occupational driving?
I don't think any man would even want to become a nurse because it's a "woman's thing" just like many women aren't interested in engineering because it's "for" men.

Says who? I was having a conversation with my colleague D__ in the library.

'What's your major?' I asked.

'Nursing,' he replied.

I was incredulous. 'Is it interesting?'

'Sure,' he winked. 'Lots of pretty girls.'

And it's true. . . grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? / 1 Year Old Pregnant With Baby (gabby Is This True) / The Pointless 1 Year Old Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.