Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963291 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ayorin: 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
MANUAL FOR MUSHROOM PRODUCTION
The manual is intended as training and information guide tool for those seeking to venture into oyster mushroom production and those already engaged in mushroom production and would like to improve their skills.
It will give you insight of oyster mushroom production to small-scale farmers who seeking to be involved in such a venture. For farmers to understand more about mushrooms as fungi, a general description of mushroom biology and mycology is also provided in this manual. It also summarises the materials and methods used for producing oyster mushrooms, humidity and temperature control, pests and diseases and their control; harvesting, grading and packaging. Proper hygiene regimes required for successful mushroom production will be highlighted at different production stages.
How to market the final mushroom or value added also provided.
Please you can contact me through
ayorin2003@yahoo.com

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eazycool1: 9:15am On Aug 01, 2014
Hi guys

I have over 90 big sized healthy cockrels all over 6months old. I have selected a few for my breeding programme which is really thriving. However, I would like to sell off the rest. Would be selling them off at a very affordable price, definitely lower than market price. Please kindly contact me on 08092784702 or babzii88@yahoo.com if interested. Also if you have contacts for someone who can buy in bulk please kindly forward some contacts to me. My farm is in Lagos Badagary.
thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jedisco(m): 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
jamp: @jedisco, the cost of egg differs from one location to another. In enugu some farmers sell egg for 500 while some sell 600. In jos you get a different price too.in Abuja farmers sell eggs for 600/650

As for ur second question; which of them do you have passion for? For me the two are profitable so let your passion be the determining factor .

Cheers

Thanks.
I have passion for both though with a slight bias for poultry. But I would like to start with one and use the income from it to build the other. So you see why the one with more profit is quite important.

Also, does anyone know where I can get good DOC in kaduna?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 5:49am On Aug 02, 2014
For the experienced farmers in d huz. Is there really egg glut or its as a result of the rainy season which is affecting virtually all other sectors that has led 2 a slight drop in price of egg?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 5:49am On Aug 02, 2014
For the experienced farmers in d huz. Is there really egg glut or its as a result of the rainy season which is affecting virtually all other sectors that has led 2 a slight drop in price of egg?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:38am On Aug 02, 2014
It depends on your location. Here in abuja the demand for egg is high after the ramadan fast. Try and look for new environment and market ur egg.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 11:26am On Aug 03, 2014
jamp: It depends on your location. Here in abuja the demand for egg is high after the ramadan fast. Try and look for new environment and market ur egg.
Ok, thnks.
Again, a friend's black layers of 15wks just started dying in an alarming rate abt a week plus now. He has tried many drugs to no avail. He got them from zartech. Pro in d huz pls what do u suggest this guy do? He is virtually seeing all his cash go dwn d drain. Their poo is almost gud just small of watery brown and whitish poo at times.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Nwogbe:
Ok, thnks.
Again, a friend's black layers of 15wks just started dying in an alarming rate abt a week plus now. He has tried many drugs to no avail. He got them from zartech. Pro in d huz pls what do u suggest this guy do? He is virtually seeing all his cash go dwn d drain. Their poo is almost gud just small of watery brown and whitish poo at times.

Tell ur friend to visit the nearest lab for test. The test will reveal the actual cause and the right vaccine/drug to use.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 05, 2014
My birds are few days shy of 15 weeks, one or two already dropping egg, is it not too early? everything alright?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hoskeymani(m): 12:09pm On Aug 07, 2014
Thanks to u all for ur useful contributions to this educative & informative thread.........Please I would like to venture into Comercial layers farming. I seriously need mentoring because I know it requires guidance,assistance & experince. I reside within Enugu State. Please, can anyone render help to me ?
Email: hoskeymani@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2014
hoskeymani: Thanks to u all for ur useful contributions to this educative & informative thread.........Please I would like to venture into Comercial layers farming. I seriously need mentoring because I know it requires guidance,assistance & experince. I reside within Enugu State. Please, can anyone render help to me ?
Email: hoskeymani@gmail.com

The better way to start is to visit farms closer to you, ask questions and take measurements of structure to the capacity you can bear. Besides insure you are well boxed-up with money before you hit the race. Kudos

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2014
safex101: My birds are few days shy of 15 weeks, one or two already dropping egg, is it not too early? everything alright?

Safex101 I don't think they started too early, mine are 13 weeks now, when I bought them as doc I noticed some were bigger than others which mean they may not all be the same age and as such likely differ in production time. Congrats all the same and good luck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davinci7: 2:37pm On Aug 07, 2014
AkayTopsy: Farmers in the house!!! I appreciate all your contributions, thanks for keeping this thread alive. Below is my 'picstory' I hope it will inspire someone out there. Start small and learn along the line.

I started with 10 broilers ......

Then....20.

Now I have a stock of 100 broilers in a self built 'battery cage'.

I already bought three plots of land and God willing construction of the poultry house will start next week after reviewing all the quotations and alternative ideas before me.

I intend to start with 1000 birds.

@jamp pls I'd like to have a 1-on-1 chat with you. I also reside in abuja.

Please can u send me ur number? i sent you a mailbor i can give you mine through the same means.Thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cola: 4:34pm On Aug 07, 2014
It's so sad we lost more than 30 pages of valuable information to the nairaland meltdown.
If anyone by chance has a saved copy or a pdf copy of the thread just before the attack, you could pls be kind enough to share with us all.
We'd be grateful

hi fnk,

fnk:

I am still queuing up for this odor elimination system, though I am only focusing on broilers at the moment but I will like to also go into layers, but why I haven't done it is the odor palaver, I have enough space on my land to do layers, but my concern is that I don't want to be a nuisance to my neighbors, so with this system and if it works, I won't have to go buy another land in the boonies somewhere just to do layers. So I will get with you as time goes on to inspect experimental farm you talked about and we go from there.

sir, if you'd be kind enough to allow me, I'd really like to visit your farm
I really would love to learn from your broiler farm if I can get an appointment with you

If you are not in the country, you could facilitate the visit for me with your men on the farm.

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks and God bless.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:49pm On Aug 07, 2014
Has anyone experience mortality due to changing the saw-dust for the birds. I just lost 0ver 70 birds (over 1.3kg) and they suspected that an infection could have occurred due to the new saw-dust.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davinci7: 9:35am On Aug 08, 2014
cola: It's so sad we lost more than 30 pages of valuable information to the nairaland meltdown.
If anyone by chance has a saved copy or a pdf copy of the thread just before the attack, you could pls be kind enough to share with us all.
We'd be grateful

hi fnk,

sir, if you'd be kind enough to allow me, I'd really like to visit your farm
I really would love to learn from your broiler farm if I can get an appointment with you

If you are not in the country, you could facilitate the visit for me with your men on the farm.

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks and God bless.

Pleaee, House,i am also in serious need of any know. safe odour control for poultry. I will be most grateful if anyone can profer solution. Thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:50am On Aug 08, 2014
davinci7:

Pleaee, House,i am also in serious need of any know. safe odour control for poultry. I will be most grateful if anyone can profer solution. Thank you

one major way is to keep the litter dry. Avoid water spillage. I had same challenge recently and I tried to stop d source of water spillage. Am still observing d situation. Will report back later

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by milkydaddy(m): 10:21pm On Aug 08, 2014
Greeting 2 all my potential and amiable farmers in d huz.Wat may be d posible cause of diz,out of 50 layers in my farm,only 5 are laying?i nid ur view i av read all d thread though
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 9:30am On Aug 09, 2014
fnk: Has anyone experience mortality due to changing the saw-dust for the birds. I just lost 0ver 70 birds (over 1.3kg) and they suspected that an infection could have occurred due to the new saw-dust.

Did the dead birds shows any symptom of infection?

If NO,
then the mortality is due to stress they were exposed to during the time you're changing their litter. Broilers are very fragile animal, hence the new method requires the farmers to spread new sawdust on the old litter in order not to stress them much. Stress kill broilers faster than infection.

If the above is the case, I think the farm manager/workers were a little bit careless to handle the situation. The tired birds/about to die ones noticed immediately after the litter were changed should've been removed from the pen,pouring cold water on and allow to remain in highly ventilation house or outside the pen area(or under electric fan)for few hours.

You will be surprise to see them recuperated after few minutes.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by torlarhh: 10:11am On Aug 09, 2014
@davinci7: the best way to control odour is to pay attention to the layers feed composition. there are couple of farmers that are experienced in preparing feed formulars that won't in anyway affect the output of the birds.Will find out more from the farmer that I knw whose poultry does not smell a bit..for advice and get back to you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 10:41am On Aug 09, 2014
davinci7:

It's quite very easy to have a odourless poultry if you're dealing with broilers. Laying birds on the other hands,requires more effort to curb the odour the litter might be generated.

BROILERS- the life circle is small,hence allow you to remove entire litter,pack it in the hole dug and burn it completely down using the petrol.

LAYERS- construction pattern of your floor is the key. To avoid excessive odour, a sloping elongate free water passage should be make under each battery cage. This will allow daily flushing of the birds waste drops to the extreme un-plaster covered big hole.

For the deep litter system, make sure the litter is always dry,don't allow spillage of water, so that it would be very easy to be completely burn down (using a lot of petrol)in the hole dug.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tundeiab(m): 12:56pm On Aug 09, 2014
fnk: @ Bb life, When I lived in South America, my we had a poultry there, and last year in Nigeria a friend wanted to go into the business with me, before we can move on I decided to do a research in Nigeria to see it's viability, I lived in VGC then, so I made a coop that can hold up to 50 birds, I got 10 layers and 25 broilers. And I documented everything that I was doing everyday. I bought the feed and the day old from old Agege motor road. And watched and documented my findings. I moved my family back to the U.S and I am currently in the U.S but hoping to come back to Nigeria and then go into poultry since my research was positive. So I don't have any farm you can visit, after my project, I gave away the bird to people to get their reaction as to the size and taste of the meat. And everyone something positive to say. At 18 weeks, the layers started laying, the eegs were small at first but started getting big a few weeks later. I killed some and gave away the rest because I was moving back to the U.S. Now the big deal here in my case is the discovery of a solution that keeps them healthy, grows well, and taste great because there were no any use of chemically treated water or medications for the birds. So with my solution, I don't have to worry about bird flu and mortality issues faced by poultry farmers. This is my competitive advantage when I eventually get into the industry. Now if I had bought more bird looking at economic escale the cost could be lower. My total estimated cost to raise a bird from day old to 2.5kg in 7 weeks was N563.60. this includes everything, feeding, lighting, management, the cost of the day old chick, etc. and on this tread someone explained that depending on who is buying from you, you can sell the birds for between N650 to N850/kg which is not bad.

So, you can play with some of this numbers and some other numbers that have been stated in this tread. Good luck
Hello sir. I don't mind having your email. Mine is abiolatunde1@mail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 1:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
Who knows about supreme chicks? When is the best timing for buying broiler DOCs against xmas and how much will it cost to feed 200 broilers from day old to maturity n hw many weeks will this take. My target is Xmas
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by egopersonified(f): 2:42pm On Aug 09, 2014
yemmit90:

[quote author=torlarhh][/quote]

I have 4 weeks old parents c.ock that I rear in my backyard and I noticed some of them are pooping reddish poop, is this cocci and what is the best solution and prevention. Thanks. Pls anyone can reply.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by austinsmat(m): 5:23pm On Aug 09, 2014
Thanks everybody I learn a lot
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2014
Tundeiab:
Hello sir. I don't mind having your email. Mine is abiolatunde1@mail.com

I tried to email you but it kept coming back.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 10:04pm On Aug 09, 2014
yemmit90:

Did the dead birds shows any symptom of infection?

If NO,
then the mortality is due to stress they were exposed to during the time you're changing their litter. Broilers are very fragile animal, hence the new method requires the farmers to spread new sawdust on the old litter in order not to stress them much. Stress kill broilers faster than infection.

If the above is the case, I think the farm manager/workers were a little bit careless to handle the situation. The tired birds/about to die ones noticed immediately after the litter were changed should've been removed from the pen,pouring cold water on and allow to remain in highly ventilation house or outside the pen area(or under electric fan)for few hours.

You will be surprise to see them recuperated after few minutes.

I was told that they where pooping out blood. But they are okay now though after giving them dime medication.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tundeiab(m): 2:27am On Aug 10, 2014
fnk:

I tried to email you but it kept coming back.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tundeiab(m): 2:31am On Aug 10, 2014
[quote author=fnk]

I tried to

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:29am On Aug 10, 2014
fnk:

I was told that they where pooping out blood. But they are okay now though after giving them dime medication.

that means they had coccidiosis

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 5:35pm On Aug 10, 2014
jamp:

that means they had coccidiosis

What should be the quickest response or medication to tackle coccidiosis please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.