Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963215 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 15, 2014
shefgodson: pls can u give ma d A-Z of raisin broilers at my backyard for staters as in feedin and vaccine....tanx

100birds for 7-8wks

100DOC x N170 = N17,000

Feeds, 14 bags x N2,700 = N37,800.

Medications/vaccine = N3,000

Others = N2,200

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
agonbello:

100birds for 7-8wks

100DOC x N170 = N17,000

Others = N2,200
good job agon....please is the feed self-milled?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 15, 2014
Good day all... I have read all the contributions on this site from the start to. The end. I have a small poultry in my compound though presently I have 100 6 weeks broilers, I intend moving on to 200 in 2 weeks time when I sell, please can anyone give a. Complete ingredient and how to mix broiler finisher? Please make the english in very term so I can know the ingredent... Thank you all and I hope we all make good money fom broiler sale this coming exmas
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
omoteamac: good job agon....please is the feed self-milled?

Commercial feeds tot self-milled feeds.

If self-milled, will cost btw N1,900 to N2,200 per bag.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by shefgodson: 3:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
agonbello:

Commercial feeds tot self-milled feeds.

If self-milled, will cost btw N1,900 to N2,200 per bag.
which is advisable self miled or commercial
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
shefgodson: which is advisable self miled or commercial

If u have no practical experience in self-milling, commercial is the best.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by shefgodson: 4:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
agonbello:

If u have no practical experience in self-milling, commercial is the best.
tanx, please wat re d composition of d self made...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by egopersonified(f): 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
agonbello:

100birds for 7-8wks

100DOC x N170 = N17,000

Others = N2,200

I have been following this thread since this year and just to 'practicalize' what I learnt, I turned an old book shelve to a cage and bought 5(five) broilers. Have eatten them and i'm buying 20 to rear for xmas. Hopefully next year, I would build my small farm to take 100 to 200. Thanks everyone. Btw, nobody should laugh at my 5 chicks issue ohh.

4 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Emzzy(m): 7:14pm On Sep 15, 2014
Pls can somebody help me in designing my little backyard poultry.4x1.5m area.
should I use zinc or plank? How do I put d net? Should I floor the base? Can I use lantern since we don't always have light? Am trying for broilers
tnx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
egopersonified:

I have been following this thread since this year and just to 'practicalize' what I learnt, I turned an old book shelve to a cage and bought 5(five) broilers. Have eatten them and i'm buying 20 to rear for xmas. Hopefully next year, I would build my small farm to take 100 to 200. Thanks everyone. Btw, nobody should laugh at my 5 chicks issue ohh.

Wishing u all the best in ur quests.

I didn't grin ooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 9:47am On Sep 16, 2014
Pinkielytee:

Thanks FarmTech, may God bless you for your response. You've shared your wealth of knowledge in this thread without withholding anything. Please I also asked some other questions in my post. I'll appreciate if you can help answer them. Thank you again.

1. I want to start with 1,000 layers (DOC) and 1,000 broilers (DOC). From all I've read I see that layers are better in battery cages. So I've decided to share the farm in two sections - raise the layers in cages and raise the broilers in deep litter. Please advise if this approach is also good.

2. Do you know any farm in Port Harcourt? I'll like to visit and see how things are done there and take away some learning points.
3. Do you know the contacts of any vet doctors in Port Harcourt.
4. How can I get competent hands to employ here in Port Harcourt? Is there any website for gtting people to employ? I'll need a farm manager, store manager, and security man.
5. I'll appreciate any other useful advise.

I don't live in PH, but I believe if u go out and ask egg sellers, poultry feed and drug sellers etc, they'll direct you to farms in ur area. When u visit those farms, u can ask them questions like the one u asked.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
egg glut. see egg everywhere. what is happening? May God help us.

we also have OLD Layers for sale in Abuja@850.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
Good pm house!
Pls I need help, my broilers are 5 weeks and 5 days today but I found out this morning that they are sneezing, could it be caused by wood shavings? Although I have administered EST around 9am but this evening, a couple of them are still sneezing. Pls what do I do next?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
icepoint: Good pm house!
Pls I need help, my broilers are 5 weeks and 5 days today but I found out this morning that they are sneezing, could it be caused by wood shavings? Although I have administered EST around 9am but this evening, a couple of them are still sneezing. Pls what do I do next?

Administer drug for Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) for Dem
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by icepoint(m): 6:50am On Sep 17, 2014
@ago bello
Thanks sir, I will do that this morning .
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 3:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
@ Jamp, Farmtech and Agrotconsult thank you. I finally did culture and sensitivity test though stressful as I had to send all the way to Ibadan from Abuja. The result shows my birds has build resistance to a lot of antibiotic, (doxycycline, tylosin tartrate, erythromycin, colistin sulphate, penicillin, amoxicillin, gentamicin and ciprofloxacin etc) the test also shows Salmonella spp, Proteus spp, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. Seriously, I wonder if most of the vet in Abuja really know their job, all they do is bombarding birds with antibiotic. Farmers are constantly told to consult their Vet but how many Vet do we really have? There's egg glut and an increase in price of feed from animal care. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 3:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
Which of d commercial feed is d best for broilers?pls
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:30pm On Sep 17, 2014
huru: @ Jamp, Farmtech and Agrotconsult thank you. I finally did culture and sensitivity test though stressful as I had to send all the way to Ibadan from Abuja. The result shows my birds has build resistance to a lot of antibiotic, (doxycycline, tylosin tartrate, erythromycin, colistin sulphate, penicillin, amoxicillin, gentamicin and ciprofloxacin etc) the test also shows Salmonella spp, Proteus spp, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. Seriously, I wonder if most of the vet in Abuja really know their job, all they do is bombarding birds with antibiotic. Farmers are constantly told to consult their Vet but how many Vet do we really have? There's egg glut and an increase in price of feed from animal care. May God help us.

please i need ur number. send it to chinwedim2006@yahoo.com

so how are the birds doing now.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
huru: @ Jamp, Farmtech and Agrotconsult thank you. I finally did culture and sensitivity test though stressful as I had to send all the way to Ibadan from Abuja. The result shows my birds has build resistance to a lot of antibiotic, (doxycycline, tylosin tartrate, erythromycin, colistin sulphate, penicillin, amoxicillin, gentamicin and ciprofloxacin etc) the test also shows Salmonella spp, Proteus spp, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. Seriously, I wonder if most of the vet in Abuja really know their job, all they do is bombarding birds with antibiotic. Farmers are constantly told to consult their Vet but how many Vet do we really have? There's egg glut and an increase in price of feed from animal care. May God help us.
Oh no. That's why sensitivity test is important. So there are no good vets in abuja? Is there no animal care lab in abuja?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:13pm On Sep 17, 2014
Perpetual459: Which of d commercial feed is d best for broilers?pls
I've allways heard people praising top feed, but supply is inconsistent in my area.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 7:28pm On Sep 17, 2014
jamp: egg glut. see egg everywhere. what is happening? May God help us.

we also have OLD Layers for sale in Abuja@850.
Where is the glut happening? In my area there is scarcity.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
Oh no. That's why sensitivity test is important. So there are no good vets in abuja? Is there no animal care lab in abuja?

@ FarmTech, the Vets I had work with can not call Vet at all and yes no lab at all in Abuja. Most culture and sensitivity test are either sent to Vom (Jos) or Ibadan. It's that bad
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2014
jamp:

please i need ur number. send it to chinwedim2006@yahoo.com

so how are the birds doing now.

The birds are getting better, though still battling with gut problem as most of the mortality this week still has messy vent. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:21am On Sep 18, 2014
huru:

The birds are getting better, though still battling with gut problem as most of the mortality this week still has messy vent. Thanks

send ur number to the email i posted
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:24am On Sep 18, 2014
FarmTech:
Where is the glut happening? In my area there is scarcity.

there is glut here in Abuja. Jos farmers are flooding the market with cheap eggs.

about the vets in Abuja. we dont have good vets, like Huru said, if your birds are sick they will keep suggesting different kinds of antibiotics to you. i must confess there are few i mean few good ones available.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 6:49pm On Sep 18, 2014
oga Huru, am still waiting.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pet01(m): 1:09pm On Sep 19, 2014
ThankGod my birds started laying today at 19 weeks. Its a joy to see all your labor not wasted. Though I'm still giving them grower feed, I'll wait till they reach 25% production b/4 I start them with layer feed.

1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 1:45pm On Sep 19, 2014
pet01: ThankGod my birds started laying today at 19 weeks. Its a joy to see all your labor not wasted. Though I'm still giving them grower feed, I'll wait till they reach 25% production b/4 I start them with layer feed.

Congratulations bruvar!

On to greater accomplishments...

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
please where is fnk? oga wetin happen. we hope all is well with you my brother
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nwogbe: 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2014
jamp: please where is fnk? oga wetin happen. we hope all is well with you my brother
Running a large biz empire no be beans oo. I guess busybody don tie am down...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 8:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
pet01: ThankGod my birds started laying today at 19 weeks. Its a joy to see all your labor not wasted. Though I'm still giving them grower feed, I'll wait till they reach 25% production b/4 I start them with layer feed.
Error!!! Congrats. Pls start giving them layers mash at 3-5% production. Layers mash contain more calcium. which is very important in production and birds health.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 8:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
huru:

@ FarmTech, the Vets I had work with can not call Vet at all and yes no lab at all in Abuja. Most culture and sensitivity test are either sent to Vom (Jos) or Ibadan. It's that bad
A whole Abuja, hmm.

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.