Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,768 members, 7,798,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (82) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (962127 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 7:39pm On Nov 26, 2014
Gozychuks:
I have about 200 broilers they r 10wks old now and not well grown. They consume 175kg per. Week. How can I boost their immune system n growth. Whithin 3wks.

My dear, you're terribly underfeeding your birds, at 10 weeks of age 200 broilers should consume at least 282 kg of feed. Improve their feeding and also add vitalyte or any other multivitamin to their water, you may never make up for lost time but you'll surely stop their decline and thereby reduce your loss.
In case of next time please refer to this webpage -http://www.homesteadorganics.ca/meat-chickens.aspx- for a table on the expected feed consumption per bird and the expected weight per week.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2014
valarinz:

My dear, you're terribly underfeeding your birds, at 10 weeks of age 200 broilers should consume at least 282 kg of feed. Improve their feeding and also add vitalyte or any other multivitamin to their water, you may never make up for lost time but you'll surely stop their decline and thereby reduce your loss.
In case of next time please refer to this webpage -http://www.homesteadorganics.ca/meat-chickens.aspx- for a table on the expected feed consumption per bird and the expected weight per week.

Thanks

I av actually increased it to 250 kg per week. I can't afford more than that. They r actually 192 birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Brineharry: 9:02pm On Nov 26, 2014
Hello gr8 farmers. Pls who is into frozen poultry production as am lookin towards dat direction. How profitable is it?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 7:30am On Nov 27, 2014
Gozychuks:

I av actually increased it to 250 kg per week. I can't afford more than that. They r actually 192 birds

Guess you've made the error from when they were Day Old chicks. Broilers have a marginal rate in weight gain. They lose their ability to gain considerable weight as they grow older. You should feed them ad libtum from DOC till you get your market weight.

Cut your losses and move on. Next time, rear inky what you can afford to feed fully (no rationing). Note that it will take you around 6-7 weeks to attain 2kg weight and they should have co aimed between 3.8kg - 4.5kg of feed in that time frame depending on your level of skill in their management.

All the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 8:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
House,how many days would egg stay before it get spoilt especially for this hot weather?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:14am On Nov 30, 2014
Perpetual459:
House,how many days would egg stay before it get spoilt especially for this hot weather?
egg can stay up to 2wks. in this hot season try n sell ur eggs as soon as possible or krep it in a cool place.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Perpetual459: 2:22pm On Nov 30, 2014
jamp:

egg can stay up to 2wks. in this hot season try n sell ur eggs as soon as possible or krep it in a cool place.
thanks,my boss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 11:26pm On Dec 01, 2014
fnk:
Take time and go through the tread again, someone have already given that breakdown. From my research the breakdown that I used to feed my birds from day old to get them to between 2.5kg to some of them at 3.5kg within 7-8 weeks was N313.60/bird. with this info, you can multiply it by the number of birds you want to raise. The advantage though that I had was that I discovered a solution that I call Virushiled. that was what I used in place of any medication. At day old, I put a few drops in their mouth, and I repeat that again two more time within their first week. And I have a mixture of the solution in the water they drink through out the 7 weeks.
My result was that I had zero mortality, the birds grow fast because there wasn't any bacteria, or any virus in their system to stall their grow and course them to eat more. No any chemical in their system through the water they drink that can also have adverse effect on their growth and development. No medication or hormone that can affect the taste of the bird. What I had at the end of 7 weeks was some of the birds weighing about 3kg and 3.5kg, taste like free range birds and no fat. The bone of the birds were a lot stronger than the typical poultry bird. I give one to a franchisee of Mr. Bigs, she ate it call call me back and said that "she has not eaten any chicken like this before"

So, if you ad the cost of medication, it might cost you a little more than N313.60/bird, shouldn't be a whole lot though. So the breakdown for me was that to get a bird to about 2.5kg, the bird will need about 4kg of food. With this info, you can work out the cost of the bag of feed in your area and the number of birds you want to raise.

Good luck.

Hi, Please i want to start one about 500 birds but point of lay. Since i started reading this thread today i realised that some people made it by starting with day old chick. What is your advice and how can you assist me please. I already have someone who said he will grow the birds from day old to point of lay and sell it to me a t 1000 naira each. please i need serious advice before i waste my savings.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 12:02am On Dec 02, 2014
fnk:

Done.
Please I need the doc sef.. I'm a dog breeder . Wanna go Into poultry soon. Papylove07@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 8:06am On Dec 02, 2014
Gozychuks:
I have about 200 broilers they r 10wks old now and not well grown. They consume 175kg per. Week. How can I boost their immune system n growth. Whithin 3wks.
if I get u right, that's 125g average per bird per day? That's so small, gabbage in gabbage out your bird will give you what you give to them I guess your under feeding them could be the reason they are not performing well.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 8:09am On Dec 02, 2014
laposta:

Guess you've made the error from when they were Day Old chicks. Broilers have a marginal rate in weight gain. They lose their ability to gain considerable weight as they grow older. You should feed them ad libtum from DOC till you get your market weight.

Cut your losses and move on. Next time, rear inky what you can afford to feed fully (no rationing). Note that it will take you around 6-7 weeks to attain 2kg weight and they should have co aimed between 3.8kg - 4.5kg of feed in that time frame depending on your level of skill in their management.

All the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 8:11am On Dec 02, 2014
laposta:

All the best
. So so on point, when you see a practical man you can easily tell, ve experienced this so many times, but I always shift blames until I learnt.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 10:07am On Dec 02, 2014
Tmex:
if I get u right, that's 125g average per bird per day? That's so small, gabbage in gabbage out your bird will give you what you give to them I guess your under feeding them could be the reason they are not performing well.
What's the appropiate quuantity. They r improving am giving them 250kg. I just want to know how best to boost performance whitin the next 3weeks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 12:02pm On Dec 02, 2014
Gozychuks:

What's the appropiate quuantity. They r improving am giving them 250kg. I just want to know how best to boost performance whitin the next 3weeks

Give them as much as they want to eat. NO RATIONING
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 12:23pm On Dec 02, 2014
laposta:

Give them as much as they want to eat. NO RATIONING
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2014
Gozychuks:

I think you should buy PKC(palm kernel cake) or fishmeal and mix in with their feed, PKC is cheaper though, I believe they aid with weight gain.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 3:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
valarinz:

I think you should buy PKC(palm kernel cake) or fishmeal and mix in with their feed, PKC is cheaper though, I believe they aid with weight gain.
Where can I get it
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2014
valarinz:

Thanks What's the measurement to use
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 5:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
laposta:

Ask for a quote...a trial will convince you...

I am asking for a quote here.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 6:43pm On Dec 02, 2014
Hello House,

I am about starting my own poultry, this thread actually actually encourage me to go ahead. Now i need support, advice, where and contact to get POL. CAGE FABRICATOR...ETC
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 6:56am On Dec 03, 2014
utchlady:

I am asking for a quote here.

Price per unit varies depending on the number of units you're interested in purchasing and cost of transportation depends on the location you're transporting to.

As a result of these, it may be impractical to give a quote here. But as in indication, a locally assembled cage with 120 birds capacity cost N55,000. That's the market rate but you'll surely get a discount if you part with more details regarding your needs.

Please send an email to hola-ologe@hotmail.com

We look forward to hear from you.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
Gozychuks:

Thanks What's the measurement to use

Sorry for my late reply, I haven't been online lately, you should ask your feed dealer about it they usually sell per kilo, I buy 1kilo for 80naira over here bat Abuja
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 10:29pm On Dec 04, 2014
valarinz:

Sorry for my late reply, I haven't been online lately, you should ask your feed dealer about it they usually sell per kilo, I buy 1kilo for 80naira over here bat Abuja

bros can I ve ur email. I need to talk to u. Plssss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 12:50pm On Dec 05, 2014
Please i need a consultant, i don't want to make mistakes. Please if you are interested let me know.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 3:45pm On Dec 05, 2014
Trueigbo:

bros can I ve ur email. I need to talk to u. Plssss

Kk, valarinz@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Kutunban: 9:08pm On Dec 05, 2014
Hello farmers, I'll will be doing the unusual for those poultry farmers who find commercial feed too expensive for them.
Well I'll be posting feed formulae their nutritive values for farmers who can source these ingredients at a cheaper price for their birds.
Happy successful farming

Broiler starter 23%CP all measurements in kg
Maize 62.5
SBM 25.5
Beniseed 5.0
Blood meal 3.0
Bone meal 3.0
Vit prmx 0.5
Salt 0.5

Maize 50.60
SBM 5.0
CSC 35.5
Beniseed 5.0
Bone meal 3.0
Oil 0.4
Bit prmx 0.25
Salt 0.25

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 9:21pm On Dec 05, 2014
valarinz:

Kk, valarinz@yahoo.com

bros I sent u mail. Pls respond.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tmex(m): 10:33pm On Dec 05, 2014
utchlady:
Please i need a consultant, i don't want to make mistakes. Please if you are interested let me know.
At your service
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ezo4fta(m): 1:59pm On Dec 06, 2014
One of my broiler died today. When I cut it up,i notice that the liver was way bigger than a normal liver. Please why is the liver so big(what could be the cause)?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 11:01am On Dec 07, 2014
fnk:

Biafran Soul, Sorry ooo I never said that I am a farmer, go back to all my post, i said that I ran a research and I shared my result with some people here. I come here to learn so that when I am ready to start my own farm I would have learn and know where to go to in order to get what I need. This tread is full of great people giving great ideas.

This is not a tread where you attack each other. I have not tried to sell you anything or to take anything from you, lets show respect to each other as we all try to learn from one another.

But you once said you got your on formula which is virus shield and you gave it to your birds (in water) and they didn't die., haba

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:11pm On Dec 07, 2014
ezo4fta:
One of my broiler died today. When I cut it up,i notice that the liver was way bigger than a normal liver. Please why is the liver so big(what could be the cause)?
It is a liver disease, caused by varieties of factors including much medications. I'll suggest you get "Superliv" or "Bioliv" - whichever is readily available at your end. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:13pm On Dec 07, 2014
utchlady:
What specifically do you desire from this "consultant"?

(1) (2) (3) ... (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.