Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,773 members, 7,798,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (962136 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pathology(m): 2:02pm On Dec 08, 2014
samshoz:
Oga Henry, cost to raise Cockerel and Broiler per bird?

what is the problem if attached to the fence

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2014
pathology:

what is the problem if attached to the fence
Ventilation can be very poor. And that means respiratory diseases.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tducks2003: 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2014
Please I need a help on how to write a proposal in establishing a poultry farm. Someone wana help but I need a proposal. Pls u can send a template or a full example to my email: tducks30@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:41pm On Dec 08, 2014
utchlady:

But you once said you got your on formula which is virus shield and you gave it to your birds (in water) and they didn't die., haba

Because someone is rasing a few bird, that doesn't make him a farmer. That is what I meant, a lot of us here can not beat our chest and say that "yeah I sm a farmer" bev no me now, my poultry is on about 2 acres, what a good size slaughter house to defeather, and package the birds. I have six people working on my farm and for the amount of birds that I raise and the irregularities on it, I can not say that I am a real farmer. Some that is my point. The research you talked about was only with 25 broilers and 10 layers, so will you call me a farmer with any experience with just that exposure.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Dublin12: 1:03am On Dec 10, 2014
Hi everyone, have been following this blog for quite a long time. Presently, I am starting up a small poultry farm with my brother in Edo state. although, I am not on ground in Nigeria but, have made a lots of research regarding poultry business in Nigeria.
We are going for layers. Starting with a thousand birds. The birds arrive today and we are brooding them in my car park hoping to transfer them to the temporary shed we are constructing in the compound. This is test run for my brother to get some experience. If everything goes well, then we can then build a proper poultry house that can hold three thousand birds. We are documenting all our expenses regarding the cost of the farm. I will upload some pics soon
Hi everyone, happy new year. Below is the progress of farm. Chicks are 3wks old and they're doing fine. We're using uac feeds chic mash and we have used 12 bags of 25kg so far. Although, we have recorded 12 lost. But, they're doing fine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 2:12pm On Dec 10, 2014
Dublin12:
Hi everyone, have been following this blog for quite a long time. Presently, I am starting up a small poultry farm with my brother in Edo state. although, I am not on ground in Nigeria but, have made a lots of research regarding poultry business in Nigeria.
We are going for layers. Starting with a thousand birds. The birds arrive today and we are brooding them in my car park hoping to transfer them to the temporary shed we are constructing in the compound. This is test run for my brother to get some experience. If everything goes well, then we can then build a proper poultry house that can hold three thousand birds. We are documenting all our expenses regarding the cost of the farm. I will upload some pics soon
Nice project. It would be better if you create a new thread. We would follow u better that way.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 8:49pm On Dec 10, 2014
Dublin12:
I am starting up a small poultry farm with my brother in Edo state. although, I am not on ground in Nigeria.
We are going for layers. Starting with a thousand birds. This is test run for my brother to get some experience.

A thousand birds from day old are lot much for test run, pls involve an experience farmer to avoid calamity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ay50dblues(m): 12:19am On Dec 11, 2014
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ay50dblues(m): 12:22am On Dec 11, 2014
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 10:22am On Dec 11, 2014
Is there electricity on the farm?
Is access to the farm motorable during the rainy season?
Hope you dont have issues with omo onile as regards the farm?
Kindly respond to the enquiries.
ay50dblues:
regarding my earlier post.I have also fenced half of the 1.5 acres with 2 coaches of blocks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ay50dblues(m): 2:25pm On Dec 11, 2014
Hi Guys
sorry i listed the farrm for sale because i was sad about my experience. i want to take things slow and shut down any farming activity on the farm for now and sell of the birds. as i said the cost of starting the farm was 3.5m and i am getting offers from nairaland users for 500k. thats a real bad offer. i might as well dash the farm to the needy if thats the only offer on ground
when things settle i will relist the farm for sale definately cuz i dont want to do farming business ever again
thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rubris4u: 6:28pm On Dec 11, 2014
Sorry for your experience. I am interested in buying the farmland installmentally at the price you listed, 150k/month. Is it still available?
ay50dblues:
Hi Guys

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by adeorojo: 5:38am On Dec 12, 2014
Thanks for your post on layers . pls i need a guide on number of weeks my pulet surpose to stay under heat. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AreaFada2: 6:17am On Dec 12, 2014
ay50dblues:
Hi Guys
sorry i listed the farrm for sale because i was sad about my experience. i want to take things slow and shut down any farming activity on the farm for now and sell of the birds. as i said the cost of starting the farm was 3.5m and i am getting offers from nairaland users for 500k. thats a real bad offer. i might as well dash the farm to the needy if thats the only offer on ground
when things settle i will relist the farm for sale definately cuz i dont want to do farming business ever again
thanks
Is there nobody else you can ask to run the farm?

Options

(1) Employ someone n pay him monthly to run it
(2) Give someone to manage and share profit 2:1, you taking 2 parts.

Let a family member like dad/mum police the activities there.

Trustworthy people are hard to find these days.

I have experienced great losses doing things in absentia too.

Key is to plan very well before you start otherwise the person you give doesn't share the passion and motives that made you start poultry farming. He's just there to embezzle your hard-earned money.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by utchlady: 3:16pm On Dec 15, 2014
Eggcelent:

What specifically do you desire from this "consultant"?

I. i want to build a poultry house and it is on my father-inlaws land but he wants a relative of theirs to build it and the man has give me a quotation of about 392 thousand (mason labour 60k, capentry labour 45k) it seems outrageous. he says it will take 500 birds (the relative)

2. I don't know whether to use a deep litter or cage system.

3. I want the person to start with me from day one cos this is a hard earned money and i dont want it to wate o.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 4:38pm On Dec 15, 2014
utchlady. Ok. If I understand you, you'll want the consultant to be physically present with you. In that case, I can't be of help. Meanwhile, if you are having doubts about the quotation given, I'll suggest you collect the listed items from the carpenter/contractor and visit the market for your own survey. However, you can always contact me at "eniitanemmanuel@yahoo.com" if there is anyway you wish me to assist. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AreaFada2: 9:48pm On Dec 15, 2014
utchlady:

I. i want to build a poultry house and it is on my father-inlaws land but he wants a relative of theirs to build it and the man has give me a quotation of about 392 thousand (mason labour 60k, capentry labour 45k) it seems outrageous. he says it will take 500 birds (the relative)

3. I want the person to start with me from day one cos this is a hard earned money and i dont want it to wate o.

It depends on location and nature of plot, if clearing and levelling need to be done, etc.

A relative built a pen housing about 500 birds. It can take up to 600 actually. It was built within a fenced compund, on the free plot next to their house. A couple of months back, it cost about 170k for material n workmanship. In Edo State.

The birds are growing well.

The problem with letting a relative or in-law's relative do it for you is that it's difficult to bargain. He may cheat you big time and still claim 10 years from now that he did at a great discount.

If he does a shoddy job, you will be careful about complaining for fear of offending your in-law.

I generally avoid that in-law or relative thing if possible. I want to be able to hire and fire, and complain bitterly if I don't get value for my hard earned money.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 8:14am On Dec 17, 2014
Good day experts in the house. My layers will be 23 weeks old tomorrow Thursday and one of them just drop egg today meanwhile my battery cage just arrive today too. Hope is not too late to transfer them to battery cage now, and won't affect their production capacity. Can i still deworm them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
hello fellow farmers, I have these set of broilers, 2kg, 2.5kg, 3kg, 3.5kg and 4kg. but I don't know much to sell each set. because these is my first time of selling broilers. PLS I need ur advises on correct prices to sell them.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 19, 2014
Hello house, anybody that needs CHI specific day old chicks should contact me. We can get it for you within 48hrs of booking instead of the normal long time waiting. My contact is 08038619766.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 7:51am On Dec 19, 2014
doctormalik:
Hello house, anybody that needs CHI specific day old chicks should contact me. We can get it for you within 48hrs of booking instead of the normal long time waiting. My contact is 08038619766.

how much? and can u deliver to Benin and Abuja.

what is the total cost?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 19, 2014
@ trueigbo, the quantity you want to buy will determine the kind of transportation we will arrange, and yes we can deliver to Benin and Abuja. Pullet is 205 if you need it urgently. Call me on 08038619766 for further discussions.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 12:44pm On Dec 19, 2014
You are meant to deworm your (laying) birds once in 2 months. That means you can still deworm them. Also, there is no harm in moving them into cages now. That will even reduce your expenses on medications in the long-term. Besides, the eggs will be neater. The only downside is the possibility of a few killing themselves in the bid to escape from the cages. However, they will get used to it within 3 days. Success.
samuel25:
Good day experts in the house. My layers will be 23 weeks old tomorrow Thursday and one of them just drop egg today meanwhile my battery cage just arrive today too. Hope is not too late to transfer them to battery cage now, and won't affect their production capacity. Can i still deworm them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by knowledge4(m): 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Do poultry farming especially layers chicken farming and you will not regret it...Guaranteed!
Do not listen to those who tell you that it is an impossible business or a gamble.It is monumental ignorance to say so.That story belongs to the past.These days, many are doing it better informed and are getting better results without stress.
You will do well in it if you know the variables that make it work and put the right structures in place.
Layers Chicken farming for egg production is one of the most viable small scale businesses in Nigeria and the easiest to set up
The market for eggs is guaranteed in Nigeria. It is a large and inexhaustible market.
The demand for eggs is above the supply.The poultry business is a growing market far from saturation
For valuable free details about the potentialities in chicken farming in Nigeria and how to set up and operate profitably,visit the 1st signature below
With N1million, you can start with 500 layers.Half million naira for the fixtures and half million naira for the operating/running cost. One person can handle a 500 layers chicken farm if he is hard working.
A healthy layers chicken will lay eggs daily for more than a year and you will sell the layer chicken at the end of egg production for N1000.00

You can also do broiler chicken farming for meat production
They can be sold at 7 weeks old @ N900.00 minimum
U may rear up to 12-14 weeks and sell during Christmas for N3000.00
If you know the right feeding techniques for broilers, you are sure to make 75% to 100% profits
Rearing them for Christmas, start from mid September to 1st week October and by mid December, they are matured for sale

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by knowledge4(m): 6:24pm On Dec 19, 2014
fishleg123:
hello fellow farmers, I have these set of broilers, 2kg, 2.5kg, 3kg, 3.5kg and 4kg. but I don't know much to sell each set. because these is my first time of selling broilers. PLS I need ur advises on correct prices to sell them.
Thanks

Don't you know your cost of production?
And the ruling market price?
And your intended margin?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 10:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
fishleg123:
Thanks
What we did was to go see what the people in the market are sell, knowing our estimated cost of goods produced, we add our margin and sell, we even sell to those who are reselling as well.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
knowledge4:
Do poultry farming especially layers chicken farming and you will not regret it...Guaranteed!
Do not listen to those who tell you that it is an impossible business or a gamble.It is monumental ignorance to say so.That story belongs to the past.These days, many are doing it better informed and are getting better results without stress.
You will do well in it if you know the variables that make it work and put the right structures in place.
Layers Chicken farming for egg production is one of the most viable small scale businesses in Nigeria and the easiest to set up
The market for eggs is guaranteed in Nigeria. It is a large and inexhaustible market.
The demand for eggs is above the supply.The poultry business is a growing market far from saturation
For valuable free details about the potentialities in chicken farming in Nigeria and how to set up and operate profitably,visit the 1st signature below
With N1million, you can start with 500 layers.Half million naira for the fixtures and half million naira for the operating/running cost. One person can handle a 500 layers chicken farm if he is hard working.
A healthy layers chicken will lay eggs daily for more than a year and you will sell the layer chicken at the end of egg production for N1000.00

You can also do broiler chicken farming for meat production
They can be sold at 7 weeks old @ N900.00 minimum
U may rear up to 12-14 weeks and sell during Christmas for N3000.00
If you know the right feeding techniques for broilers, you are sure to make 75% to 100% profits
Rearing them for Christmas, start from mid September to 1st week October and by mid December, they are matured for sale

Boy! while you sound very encouraging, those of us already in the game know that there is a lot of work involved ooo and a lot of challenges. I am not saying that it is not lucrative ooo, but work de well well. To tell you the truth, You are in for a big one if it is your only source of income, because almost in your first year you won't even see your profit, not that you are not making money, but you won't see it, because there is always one thing or the other that is making you to put the money back into the business. I will say, give yourself 2 to 3 years to work out the kinks in the production and sales process.

This has been my experience, when I have chicken for sale, I don't have ready customers, and when I have customers, I don't have chicken ready. Now it will take time to build us sales outlet and then have constant production to meet the sales demand. For me, I think next year will be much better, we have gradually started getting orders from different sources, and we have our own frozen chicken outlet, two of those and we will be starting a BBQ joint of our chicken along Ado road in Ajah. If we can sell at least 20 grilled chicken per night, that will put us at sales of about 600 birds monthly, and our two frozen outlet, can generate another 200 sales per month that will give us about 800 birds and we have some other supplies here and there to keep us going. So, with our cycle, we know that we need to raise at least about 1000 birds per month. And you know what, you make better rattail profit with your own sales outlets. when we see how our first branded BBQ joint goes, we will duplicate it in other areas, If we have 10 locations that sales at least 20 birds per night, that along can keep out farm going and we can make good money for our birds. eateries are killers, they will ask to buy your birds at N650/kg and on credit. I think we are going to do well this season, we have been receiving orders, we have broilers that was 5kg and 6kg dressed, they are like turkeys.

Good luck guys, hope you all have a wonderful sales season.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 20, 2014
@fnk.
i like ur business acumen.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 20, 2014
utchlady:

how many blocks at what price? sand and stone at what price.
how many bags of cement at what price?
how many piecesof wood at what price?
transport to farm house?

u can use ur eyes and calc the no of days to finish d work and multiply it by the daily rate of mason and brick layer in ur area.

you can also get another quote from another source and compare. Then haggle to the least amount.

since its your father inlaws land, if the diff btw his source and other quote is not much, allow his guy to do it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laidyy(f): 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2014
Kutunban:
Hello farmers, I'll will be doing the unusual for those poultry farmers who find commercial feed too expensive for them.
Well I'll be posting feed formulae their nutritive values for farmers who can source these ingredients at a cheaper price for their birds.
Happy successful farming

Broiler starter 23%CP all measurements in kg
Maize 62.5
SBM 25.5
Beniseed 5.0
Blood meal 3.0
Bone meal 3.0
Vit prmx 0.5
Salt 0.5

Maize 50.60
SBM 5.0
CSC 35.5
Beniseed 5.0
Bone meal 3.0
Oil 0.4
Bit prmx 0.25
Salt 0.25

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laidyy(f): 1:04pm On Dec 27, 2014
Please experienced farmers I really want to start making my broiler's feed can someone please help me?
And please I want to know the meaning of: CP percent , SBM and
CSC in feeds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.