Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,347 members, 7,780,933 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:47 AM

Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence (1488 Views)

Army Warns Personnel To Be Active, Gives Shoot-At-Sight Order / Soldiers Get Treated To A Buffet In Damaturu (Photo) / 18 Soldiers Get Death, Jail Terms Over Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 9:45am On Apr 08, 2011
SECURITY yesterday topped preparations for tomorrow’s National Assembly elections as the various agencies of the Federal Government unveiled measures to ensure law and order during the exercise.

The military, whose men are to patrol the streets but keep a distance from the polling centres, yesterday ordered its personnel to shoot on sight any political thug attempting to foment trouble.

The police also warned anyone with intention to cause trouble during the exercise to review their stance, as no unruly behaviour would be tolerated from any quarter.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44142%3Asoldiers-get-shoot-on-sight-order-in-fresh-assault-on-polls-violence&catid=1%3Anational&Itemid=
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 9:47am On Apr 08, 2011
Is this really democracy? for all want of a free and fair election, there is no way a shoot at sight order should be given against the citizens of Nigeria. Another stupid order from whoever.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by satani22: 9:56am On Apr 08, 2011
I agree with u judging by the fact that most of the uniformed men in Nigeria are 'Animals' might decide to use their weapons on innocent citizens all in the name of shoot at sight order
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 08, 2011
monkeyleg:

Is this really democracy? for all want of a free and fair election, there is no way a shoot at sight order should be given against the citizens of Nigeria. Another silly order from whoever.

Have you ever seen where those political thugs with their dane guns and pump action rifle storm any polling booth before ? If you have,you wouldn't be criticizing the order.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 10:17am On Apr 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Have you ever seen where those political thugs with their dane guns and pump action rifle storm any polling booth before ? If you have,you wouldn't be criticizing the order.

My brother I have, but this is not a case to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Innocent people are going to get caught up in this craziness. And I dont agree that this is the best way to go about securing the place. Not in a democracy, there is the potential for it to escalate and we know what will happen then. Intelligence based policing is a better approach. I totally condemn this, I can also bet you this might discourage people from coming out to vote for the fear of being caught up in any cross fire. Bad move in my opinion
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Dave6: 10:34am On Apr 08, 2011
It is very necessary.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Justcash(m): 10:42am On Apr 08, 2011
Hmmmmm! It is good o! As long as the soldiers direct the bullets to the right people. Soldiers with happy fingers should not partake o!
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 08, 2011
monkeyleg:

My brother I have, but this is not a case to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Innocent people are going to get caught up in this craziness. And I dont agree that this is the best way to go about securing the place. Not in a democracy, there is the potential for it to escalate and we know what will happen then. Intelligence based policing is a better approach. I totally condemn this, I can also bet you this might discourage people from coming out to vote for the fear of being caught up in any cross fire. Bad move in my opinion
most politicians across all the political parties arm youths to snatch ballot boxes especially where the opposition is leading.this move is targeted at those thugs and not the innocent people coming out to cast their votes.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 11:22am On Apr 08, 2011
Well, let use hope that they show decipline, because the consequences could be terrible
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 08, 2011
There is no point over-classifying this issue.the order is necessary atleast it will reduce electoral violence.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by ifyalways(f): 11:46am On Apr 08, 2011
Using a gun to kill a mosquito.

If I were around,this order might make me decide to stay indoors.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by maclatunji: 11:49am On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

You scare easily, don't you?
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 11:52am On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

Exactly my point. This has the potential to frighten people away. Nigerian millitary and police services have a reputaion of indicipline, how do you control this reckless order.

I think it is wrong. It is only in Nigeria we call millitary to police our elections what does that say of us, and give then a free reign with shoot at sight orders. Wrong move
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by ifyalways(f): 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2011
maclatunji:

You scare easily, don't you?
Yes I do.

Just got off the phone now,my bros in Abuja won't be voting.According to him,soldiers are like pure water sachet all over the street and besides school(Uni Abuja) is in full session,he and most of the other students registered at the east/west during sch. vacation.

monkeyleg:

Exactly my point. This has the potential to frighten people away. Nigerian millitary and police services have a reputaion of indicipline, how do you control this reckless order.

I think it is wrong. It is only in Nigeria we call millitary to police our elections what does that say of us, and give then a free reign with shoot at sight orders. Wrong move
@Bolded,my fears.

hmmn  undecided
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 08, 2011
You guys should just cool down. . .there was never anytime tension was not high at the polling centres in every elections due to the armed thugs who scared voters away to conduct their rigging.don't get too hyper because of he soldiers cuz it is the only remedy against ballot snatching since the police are not up to the task.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by ifyalways(f): 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

You guys should just cool down. . .there was never anytime tension was not high at the polling centres in every elections due to the armed thugs who scared voters away to conduct their rigging.don't get too hyper because of he soldiers cuz it is the only remedy against ballot snatching since the police are not up to the task.
OK

I pray and wish everything turns out fine.Amen.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by seal777(m): 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2011
Accordin to thn UN,Nt even gbagbo of ivory coast deserves a shot at sight order.

If we want military rule i think we should opt for it cos shoot at sight order is undemocratic.

When politicians re stealing, importing guns and bullet proof vests, they re shot at bt easy to shoot at citizen they can arrest them for trial.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 08, 2011
seal777:

Accordin to thn UN,Nt even gbagbo of ivory coast deserves a shot at sight order.

If we want military rule i think we should opt for it cos shoot at sight order is undemocratic.

When politicians re stealing, importing guns and bullet proof vests, they re shot at bt easy to shoot at citizen they can arrest them for trial.

The imported arms are used by the same greedy politicians to scare people away but until something is done about the arms,the soldier remains the best option even in ivory coast UN army go on patrol and yet,there are still recorded cases of violence.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by Pharoh: 2:49pm On Apr 08, 2011
This is very welcomed, anyone trying to cause trouble or rig the election should be shot immediately.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by ayomifull(f): 5:09pm On Apr 08, 2011
ifyalways:

not might here it actually will make me to stay indoors. It is very scary to allow such in a country like ours where killing is not a big deal. What about missed targets and accidental discharge? Imagine the pandemonium if people just hear a gun shot even from afar
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by xreal: 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2011
What then is a sane person like me(who is not willing and will NEVER die for Nigeria) doing at any polling centre?
This is not democratic.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2011
This cannot be justified. They had over 6months to create an special election security team comprising of the different forms of police, well trained with decent kit. But no they would rather unleash this on Nigerians. Quote frankly people will stay indoors
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by timbuktwo: 6:38pm On Apr 08, 2011
so basically nobody can rig. unless you are PDP, in which case it's fine.

Despite the stance of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika that the military will not be used to intimidate or harass politicians as well as electorates during the elections, the reverse has been the case in his own community, Ovim in Isuikwuato L.G.A. of Abia state as his younger brother, Okey Ihejirika is alleged to have been on the loose with the batch of soldiers attached to the community for security, attacking, threatening and beating up those who are said to belong to other political parties other than the PDP.

Inside sources in the area confirmed that the younger Ihejirika who runs a Guest House said to be owned by his brother is obsessed with power since the appointment of the COAS , as such he is leading the campaign for the return of the state governor, Theodore Orji and other PDP candidates in the area. The communities around are said to be under siege as the opposition is almost being stifled. The major opposition parties in the area include PPA, LP, APGA,CPC AND ACN.

Reports have it that Okey Ihejirika has been seen campaigning alongside his kith and kin who claim that President Goodluck Jonathan may terminate the appointment of the COAS if another political Party wins in the area. Prior to the failed Saturday elections, Okey was on a campaign train urging the people to cast their vote for the ruling PDP in other to protect his brother’s appointment. He has repeatedly ordered soldiers to beat up anybody who does to the contrary. This was also evidenced on Saturday during the NASS elections where soldiers stationed in his ANCCO Guest House, Ovim were said to have beaten up the agent of the Labour Party who had insisted that the actual number of persons accredited should be recorded. The young man, Nnanna Kanu who also hails from the same community with the Ihejirikas was thoroughly beaten by the soldiers who were told he was working for Noel Okorougo, the Senatorial candidate of the Labour Party for Abia North who also hails from the same Local Government with the COAS. In the next LGA where the PPA seems to be upstaging the PDP, story is the same as soldiers again on the orders of Hon. Nkeiru Onyejeocha and Senator Uche Chukwumerije also beat up agents and supporters of the PPA candidate for the House of Representatives, Chris Odinaka Igwe.

The opposition Parties seem to be posing for war with those who are said to be riding on the back of the COAS. Though it is not yet certain if the relations of the Army Chief are acting on his orders, but there are confirmed reports that his residence has in the past weeks played host for PDP chieftains including the state governor who is alleged to be parting with a reasonable percentage of his security vote in order to secure the military backing. Gov. T.A. Orji is said to be backed by armored military tankers and personnel while on campaign in the state and that is said to have angered the people of the state who have vowed to push him out of office.

Meanwhile, the Ovim community is said to have witnessed an unprecedented number of strange youths referred to as thugs and are said to be kept at the ANCCO Guest House alongside the dreaded Bakassi cult group known as Abia State Vigilante Services who are under the payroll of the state governor. Some of the hired thugs are also said to have been brought in by the Transition Chairman of the Local Government Council, Timothy Onwuka who is said to be working for Gen Ike Nwachukwu, a chieftain of the PDP in the area and a native of Ovim. He also provided logistics and housing for the thugs in a desperate bid to stop the rival PPA former governor Orji Uzor Kalu who is running for the Senate in the area as well as another daughter of Ovim, Oby Ndukwe who is also flying the flag of the rival PPA for the Isuikwuato Constituency in the State House of Assembly. The PPA candidate though is a cousin of the COAS but she is said to be opposed by Gen Ihejirika and the immediate family members who see her alliance with the PPA as an affront to the PDP government of President Jonathan that appointed Ihejirika into office.
Re: Soldiers Get Shoot-on-sight Order In Fresh Assault On Polls Violence by monkeyleg: 7:04pm On Apr 08, 2011
There you have it, and some people claim this is a good idea.

(1) (Reply)

Azikiwe And Ojukwu, Who Is The Leader Of The Igbos? / Igbodefender Asks For Anioma State / Boko Haram And The Disintegration Prediction Of American Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.