Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics (3661 Views)

Buhari Gave The Golden Eaglets N20,000 Because They Are Mostly Igbos / Nigeria Is Now The New Bride Of The World! / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Abagworo(m): 11:08am On Apr 08, 2011
I must warn that this is more or less a personal conclusion made based on both history,personal experience and internet.

Whether we Nigerians like it or not the Yorubas have over the years made themselves the final determinants of any critical stage in Nigerian politics.I have tried to wonder why it remains so even when the Igbos match them in population and education.I somehow tend to believe that the SE is not politically developed like the North and SW.

A lot of us are politically blind and usually end up joining the band wagon and reducing our political relevance.Afenifere refused to come out and endorse anyone.Even Arewa remains neutral in the whole saga while Ohaneze has endorsed Jonathan 3 times.I am so sure that they would have done same for any incumbent.

I would not re-visit history but I can bet at the moment that the SW is the determinant zone for Presidential elections.This makes them the golden bride.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Akanbiedu(m): 11:26am On Apr 08, 2011
well
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by WilyWily12: 1:02pm On Apr 08, 2011
Nay true, all hail the Fraudulent tribe.
Yorubas The Golden Chameleon of Nigerian Politics
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 08, 2011
wilywily have you tried wily.wily yet.

what's your normal pretending id btw cos this one is obviously only for your psycho side.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 08, 2011
[WilyWily:

show me where ibo have made landmark contribution to the development of Nigeria ?
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Sunofgod(m): 1:35pm On Apr 08, 2011
Flip-Floppers (Awolowos's) no doubt,
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by jason123: 1:45pm On Apr 08, 2011
[WilyWily:

Such bitterness! SMH! A jealous person NEVER progresses!

@ Topic

I really do not think its the yorubas alone. The SS has also graduated from the school of politics with a first class. For some reason, I think the SS now understands Nigeria more. There level of understand may not be on par with the SW or North but they certainly have a better view of Nigeria now, politically speaking.
In as much as this election will determine the future of Nigeria, the 2015 election will be much more important than this because it will ask us, as a nation, some very fundamental questions.
Firstly, does zoning still stand OR did we just elect OBJ and GEJ to appease the SW and SS If zoning does not stand, ware we going to vote on tribal/ regional lines and if this will be the case, is it not better splitting the country than allowing the North to win every presidential election?And if Zoning does stands, will an Igbo man be the president after GEJ even though GEJ is being pictured as an Igbo man now? Was GEJ playing politics with his identity the  lastly are Nigerian going to ever vote an igbo man as the president of Nigeria in our generation

Secondly, if GEJ does not keep to his manifesto (as most politicians do not keep to it anyways undecided), do we still have hope as a nation Should the youths revolt against the elites for oppressing them If that happens, will the revolution be de-tribalised Will some people not be partial to their kinsmen?? And if that is the case, are we not going to have a 1966 on our hands. Moreover, this might be worse because, if a youth-wise-revolution happens, it means the center is weak!

All in all, after GEJ, what next? 2015 Until then, I guess! God help us all!!!
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by jason123: 1:52pm On Apr 08, 2011
Sun of god:

Flip-Floppers (Awolowos's) no doubt,

[WilyWily:

Why are you guys bitter, angry and jealous? A few months back, the Ndigbo nation was the "beautiful bride". Instead of your leaders to choose the best option for you, they chose to sell it for name affiliation, money and all sorts ( no offense please). So when your western brothers kept quite and played their game, they got the results they wanted and you are here crying foul?? C'mon, be mature!

Definitely, the west still has some Awolowo tricks with them. As awo said before he died, " when other leaders are playing and doing all sorts, we(awo and his men) are in a room thinking about the best interest of our people and Nigeria". That is what is being practiced here.

Long story short, they played they game right and got the results, the SS played their game right and got the results, every other region, better luck next time! No sarcasm intended but just the blatant truth!
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by kodewrita(m): 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
As has already been said elsewhere. we are naturally businessmen and we try to get the best possible.

Commiting to a price too early spoils the bargaining.

But at the end of the day, I believe the southwest will be voting Jonathan.

Lagos will vote him and still vote Fashola.

The other PDP governors will feel the wrath of the southwest (the same way AD chieftains were serially toppled last time they misbehaved).
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by jason123: 2:55pm On Apr 08, 2011
kodewrita:

As has already been said elsewhere. we are naturally businessmen and we try to get the best possible.

Commiting to a price too early spoils the bargaining.

But at the end of the day, I believe the southwest will be voting Jonathan.

Lagos will vote him and still vote Fashola.

The other PDP governors will feel the wrath of the southwest
(the same way AD chieftains were serially toppled last time they misbehaved).

That is the reality!
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by seal777(m): 3:21pm On Apr 08, 2011
Igbos re generally bussiness inclined hence they sold their political future, gud business indeed.

Keep focus, dont derail the thread.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by EzeUche(m): 3:30pm On Apr 08, 2011
seal777:

Igbos re generally bussiness inclined hence they sold their political future, gud business indeed.

I guess you do not understand the political economy. Business and politics are intertwined. However, more money equals more power. This is common throughout the world.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by seal777(m): 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2011
@eze uche,
NIGERIA IS A CASE STUDY, MORE MONEY MORE PROGRESS.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by isalegan2: 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2011
OP,
I'm not sure about the conclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yorubas are politically savvy. It's all that palace intrigue of yesteryear, you know. smiley
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by udezue(m): 4:21pm On Apr 08, 2011
Silly thread by a foolish anti-GEJ person. Supporting GEJ is selling our birth rights? lol I bet if we did for Buhari it wont be, abi? Ijaw ppl, Igbos, Efiks in SS have also sold their birthrights. I wonder why you chose to not target them but SE alone.

Guy just zip it. GEJ 2011

We already know Jason's opposition is borne out of his dislike of the Ijaw who have been kicking Itsekiri punk asses up and down Warri.
Make una go transformer.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by EzeUche(m): 4:25pm On Apr 08, 2011
Abagworo is an Igbo efulefu. He is the sell out. I understand Eziachi's POV, but Abagworo mind has been clouded.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Dede1(m): 4:41pm On Apr 08, 2011
@POST

It is an indelible truth that opinion could be a terrible thing which everybody unfortunately had one. The post by Abagworo contradicts every relevant aspect of recorded events. From 1951 to 1959 elections and most recently in 1999, the Yoruba’s politics of tribalism had remained inconsequential. I shall not give the honor of “golden bride” of Nigerian politics to Yoruba like the author of this thread had done but could part with audacious gamblers.

Politics in Nigeria could be whatever an onlooker termed it but I would say unequivocally the political shenanigans from Yoruba land is pure tribal and grandstanding. In addition, I should also add that Yoruba people are the most politically savvy group of people in Nigeria.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by ektbear: 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
I dunno about the golden bride stuff. I'd prefer the term "kingmaker". . . sounds less effeminate  grin

Anyway, I think the key thing is that the ACN has built a strong political base, and is poised to greatly increase it this election cycle (Akwa Ibom, Benue, Kwara, Oyo, Ogun are all possibilities.) When you have a political base, you can negotiate on your own terms and win concessions. But if you just join the mainstream party, they can use and abuse you anyhow.

It didn't come cheaply, btw. The damage of OBJ starving Lagos of funds was probably very significant. But sometimes you have to make sacrifices and take a principled stand to build something greater.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Musiwa13: 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
there is no free and fair election in nigeria.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by jason123: 5:47pm On Apr 08, 2011
udezue:

Silly thread by a foolish anti-GEJ person. Supporting GEJ is selling our birth rights? lol I bet if we did for Buhari it wont be, abi? Ijaw ppl, Igbos, Efiks in SS have also sold their birthrights. I wonder why you chose to not target them but SE alone.

We already know Jason's opposition is borne out of his dislike of the Ijaw who have been kicking Itsekiri punk asses up and down Warri.
Make una go transformer.

You got it wrong. I have actually left tribalism and started facing issues head on. I have no beaf with the Ijaws. The are my fellow state men and I should and will not generate hatred for them. In fact, I have not said anything here to imply that I hate the Ijaws, far from it!!!

My analyses were simply fair and blunt. You may not like the tone of it but cannot completely disagree with it.

Dede1:

@POST

It is an indelible truth that opinion could be a terrible thing which everybody unfortunately had one. The post by Abagworo contradicts every relevant aspect of recorded events. From 1951 to 1959 elections and most recently in 1999, the Yoruba’s politics of tribalism had remained inconsequential. I shall not give the honor of “golden bride” of Nigerian politics to Yoruba like the author of this thread had done but could part with audacious gamblers.

Politics in Nigeria could be whatever an onlooker termed it but I would say unequivocally the political shenanigans from Yoruba land is pure tribal and grandstanding. In addition, I should also add that Yoruba people are the most politically savvy group of people in Nigeria.

I agree with most of what you typed except tribalism. They have not in any way or form practiced tribalism. If so, there will be no igbo and hausa appointments in Lagos. If you can case your mind back to Jakande's era in Lagos, that was tribalism (in my POV) but not know. Also, They have members in Edo, delta, Benue, North and more recently Akwa-ibom. I personally like their ideology since it is based on development and progress but I dislike the God-fatherism by Tinubu and I sure most people including yorubas dislike that aspect of ACN, other than that, I love the party.
I believe ACN is NOT a tribal party and not a Yoruba party. It cannot dictate the way Yorubas vote, if it did, the love for Buhari will not be there at the first place.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by jason123: 5:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
udezue:

Make una go transformer.

BTW, you have to agree that none of these groups endorse GEJ three times, no?
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by alex101(m): 6:04pm On Apr 08, 2011
This OP is the biggest fool ever know to mankind! angry

At a time like this, I wish I can lay my hands on the efulefu and take him to Tiajuana, Mexico with me. There in Tiajuana, I will personally supervise the

dissolution of this fool in acid. As a matter of fact, I shall recommend for the "stew maker" to dissolve Abagworo alive in the 'acid tub'.

It's GEJ, yorubos are/shall everly remain inconsequential cool
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

What a load of crap! What is inconsequential is your naive postulations. Yorubas have never and will never be onlookers in their own affairs. If that is tribalism or grandstanding, I will advice your people to a cue from us and be tribalistic as well.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Dede1(m): 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2011
jason123:

I agree with most of what you typed except tribalism. They have not in any way or form practiced tribalism. If so, there will be no igbo and hausa appointments in Lagos. If you can case your mind back to Jakande's era in Lagos, that was tribalism (in my POV) but not know. Also, They have members in Edo, delta, Benue, North and more recently Akwa-ibom. I personally like their ideology since it is based on development and progress but I dislike the God-fatherism by Tinubu and I sure most people including yorubas dislike that aspect of ACN, other than that, I love the party.
I believe ACN is NOT a tribal party and not a Yoruba party. It cannot dictate the way Yorubas vote, if it did, the love for Buhari will not be there at the first place.

If you had paid rapt attention to dates and elections of era quoted in my previous post, you should have no choice but agree with the deductions made in the post. Yoruba land, except Lagos, is a comfortable abode for tribal politics. As for appointments of Igbo stocks into governmental positions in Lagos it is a latecomer because Zik, in 1954, appointed a Yoruba son the press secretary to government of eastern region.

Again, Yoruba would rather boycott an election than support a political party with non-Yoruba flag bearers
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by mbatuku1: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2011
I spit on this thread!

Abagworo, are you OUK? You are acting like his sold-out as-s grin

Ohaneze, did an incrdible job this time around. I think on the contrary the Igbos are the determinant of this election.

You never know what is up their sleeves. Look at what they did in many of the major cities in the country by registering more than even the locals. That is what is called being politically savvy.

Igbo's only problem is the bargage from the loss of the war, and Igbo presidency being a big deal.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 08, 2011
Dede1:

If you had paid rapt attention to dates and elections of era quoted in my previous post, you should have no choice but agree with the deductions made in the post. Yoruba land, except Lagos, is a comfortable abode for tribal politics. As for appointments of Igbo stocks into governmental positions in Lagos it is a latecomer because Zik, in 1954, appointed a Yoruba son the press secretary to government of eastern region.

Again, Yoruba would rather boycott an election than support a political party with non-Yoruba flag bearers

Can you please define tribal politics for us?

'Again, Yoruba would rather boycott an election than support a political party with non-Yoruba flag bearers'

You know that is a blatant lie! Anyway, that is your stock in trade.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by mbatuku1: 6:36pm On Apr 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

I recently observed that in the SE, parties are veiwed as mere platform ffrom which candidates can launch their political aspirations, and as such partie have equal footing, whereas in the SW people are cajoled into belonging to a particular party. I'll define such elevation of a single party in the SW as tribal politics.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 08, 2011
mbatuku1:

I recently observed that in the SE, parties are veiwed as mere platform ffrom which candidates can launch their political aspirations, and as such partie have equal footing, whereas in the SW people are cajoled into belonging to a particular party. I'll define such elevation of a single party in the SW as tribal politics.

People are cajoled? Is it a crime in the South West to challenge a dominant party?
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Dede1(m): 6:43pm On Apr 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

What a load of crap! What is inconsequential is your naive postulations. Yorubas have never and will never be onlookers in their own affairs. If that is tribalism or grandstanding, I will advice your people to a cue from us and be tribalistic as well.

First, you are such an insignificant political minnow to give political advice to my people.

Second, the only time a son of Yoruba ascended to the apex position through Nigeria’s electioneering process, block vote of Yoruba was not involved and remained inconsequential till today. In 1999 general election, Yoruba rode with AD and three months after the election, the Yoruba political party called AD ceased to exist. This is what I meant by political gambling encouraged by tribalism.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Abagworo(m): 6:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
mbatuku1:

I spit on this thread!

Abagworo, are you OUK? You are acting like his sold-out as-s grin

Ohaneze, did an incrdible job this time around. I think on the contrary the Igbos are the determinant of this election.

You never know what is up their sleeves. Look at what they did in many of the major cities in the country by registering more than even the locals. That is what is called being politically savvy.

Igbo's only problem is the bargage from the loss of the war, and Igbo presidency being a big deal.

You and my other Igbo brothers calling for my head are part of the problem.Remember Ohanaeze endorsed Obasanjo's 3rd term.Infact since I was born Igbo's have never opposed any incumbent.I am in no way suggesting that we must oppose but we need to form a political force that will restore our relevance.

Buhari is sweeping the NW while Jonathan is sweeping the SS/SE,so we have the SW as the determinant zone.We should also take note that NW has 8million more voters than SS/SE.Buhari is therefore already leading with 8million voters.Assuming the other regions are shared equally,Jonathan needs SW to cover the 8million deficit.
Re: Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics by Dede1(m): 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

'Again, Yoruba would rather boycott an election than support a political party with non-Yoruba flag bearers'

You know that is a blatant lie! Anyway, that is your stock in trade.

Example of tribal politics could be viewed through the legacy of Awolowo from the formative years of Egba Omo Oduduwa which gave rise to Action Group to UPN to AD and to ACN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What The Fxck Is Wrong With Nigeria-Soldiers Without Body Armour Or Helmet / Solution To Boko Haram, Religious And Ethnic Killings In Nigeria / Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.