Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,418 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat (9358 Views)

Losing Senate Presidency Seat May Be Apc’s Sacrifice For Change – Oyegun / What Nigerians Are Saying About Osita Chidoka & The Vacant Senate Seat / Akpabio Suffers Setback In Bid To Retain Senate Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by fstranger3(m): 4:12am On Apr 12, 2011
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=14577

IYABO, daughter of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, was a pitiable sight yesterday.
Hours after the reality dawned on her that she had lost the senatorial elections in Ogun Central District, she burst into tears.
The whole scenario happened in her father’s palatial mansion in Abeokuta.
Initially, Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, the chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, was optimistic of a good outing, given the position of her father as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees (BOT) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
When the results started trickling in, it was realised that her father lost, even in his Ward 11 in Abeokuta North.
“The last result in the district came in later in the night and it was discovered that her opponent, who is the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) candidate, Gbenga Obadara, had scored 102,389 votes to her 56,312. She burst into tears,” said a source.
The Peoples Party of Nigeria (PPN) candidate, Monday Ijaduoye got 27,187 votes.
The source said her father “and others around” had to console her.

[size=15pt]“Obasanjo assured her that she will be appointed a minister in the next dispensation,”[/size] he said.

In Ogun East Senatorial District, the ACN candidate and former deputy governor, Alhaji Adegbenka Kaka defeated the PDP and PPN candidates, Mohammed Odunowo and Prince Abiodun Odusanya.
In Ogun West Senatorial District, the CPC candidate, Akin Odunsi, defeated the PDP and PPN candidates, Babatunde Fadun and Waliu Taiwo.
Meanwhile, moments after losing the House of Representatives seat, Speaker of the Lower House, Dimeji Bankole, yesterday congratulated his opponent, saying the outcome of the polls reflected the wishes of the people “in our national quest to enshrine an enduring democracy for our nation”.
In a statement signed by his Special Adviser, Communications, Chief Kayode Odunaro, he thanked the electorate for trooping out en-masse to vote for candidates of their choices as representatives and senators, stressing that their action, after the initial hiccups, “demonstrates an abiding faith in democracy as an acceptable and veritable path for the development of our nation”.
Bankole congratulated all the winners in the parliamentary election for their victory, noting that losers should take their losses in good faith as in any such exercise there must be winners and losers.
“For me, the race was not a life and death duel. Of more importance is building, maintaining and developing our democratic institution and processes as a means towards true national development and greatness,” he stated.
The Speaker commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) “and the young men and women of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)” for successfully kick starting the election.
Bankole, however, condemned all those bent on scuttling the electoral process through violence, particularly through bombings, saying no nation has ever made progress through such means in addressing the challenges of national development.
Meanwhile, the governorship candidate of the Peoples Party of Nigeria (PPN), Prince Gboyega Nasir Isiaka, has continued to get endorsements from major stakeholders and various quarters of the state. The latest is from Afenifere, the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, former Finance Minister and a member of the Egba Intelligentsia, Dr Onaolapo Soleye, and other prominent citizens of the Gateway State.

Chief Ayo Adebanjo, who spoke in Abeokuta in the presence of two leading Afenifere chieftains, Pa Reuben Fasoranti and Sir Olaniwun Ajayi, described the structure that threw up Isiaka as “completely Awoist” in all ramifications.
Adebanjo urged all true Afenifere and the people of Ogun State to vote for all PPN candidates in the rescheduled National Assembly, governorship and House of Assembly elections on April 26, 2011 because of their link with Otunba Gbenga Daniel whom he described as a committed Awoist and a major stakeholder in Afenifere.

He said Daniel, throughout his tenure, has performed exceptionally well and as such it was fit and proper for the people of Ogun State to support him in ensuring that the gains of the past eight years are consolidated through a worthy successor in the person of Isiaka.
Soleye said Daniel, like Awolowo, came ahead of his time and has succeeded in changing Ogun State through all round developmental strategy.
He said because of the giant strides and verifiable economic development engendered in the last eight years, it has become incumbent for people of Ogun State to go with Daniel in the unfolding political dispensation.
He said a vote for Isiaka and the PPN would be a vote against politics of egocentrism, greed and bitterness. He, therefore, urged the people of the state to vote massively for the PPN .
Isiaka said he was humbled by the support of major stakeholders, promising not to disappoint the people of Ogun State.
He said having worked with Daniel for more than seven years, it would be easy for him to consolidate the gains of the Daniel era for the benefit of the people and greater glory of the Gateway State.
Daniel, in his response, said the position of the Afenifere and Soleye would ensure “the continuity of good governance, progress and a better future for the children of Ogun State”.
He described the elder statesmen as people of conviction who have always stood for truth in the polity.
Meanwhile, former governor of Ogun State, Chief Olusegun Osoba, said yesterday that Obasanjo was the architect of his own misfortune.
While also reacting to his party’s victory, Osoba declared that the ACN was not ready to form alliance with any political party to win subsequent elections in the state.
The former governor, who spoke with reporters in Abeokuta, also submitted that Nigerians have regained their voice with the outcome of the National Assembly elections.
“Nigerians have regained their voice. Nigerians are talking. What happened yesterday (Saturday) has averted what would have been our loss like what happened in Egypt and what is happening in Tunisia now. That is why the presidential election must be transparent.
“We are not interested in any alliance or merger with anybody or group or any of the political parties on ground in Ogun State. We shall go it alone and by the grace of God, we shall continue to be victorious,” he added.
Speaking further, Osoba attacked Obasanjo for allegedly undermining democracy in the country.
“Obasanjo is down and out. He has become victim of his own creation. I pray for long life for him to witness more genuine democracy,” he stated.
The ACN chieftain, however, lauded Bankole for conceding victory, saying: “he (Speaker) was the one who woke me up this morning with his phone call. He did very well, he conceded victory and congratulated ACN and I was moved to the extent that I immediately took my bath and drove myself down to his house to pray for him because he has done very well.”
Osoba further commended the role played by policemen, soldiers and other security agents during the elections, saying they braced all odds to prevent rigging by some unscrupulous politicians.
Meanwhile, the PPN, in a statement signed by its Publicity Secretary, Raheem Ajayi, commended the electorate for trooping out to exercise their civic duties and for electing the party into the House of Representatives.
Ajayi said: “Despite the fact that the PPN is barely five weeks old in the field, our candidates cleared to contest the elections only last week, and the fact that we did not have known candidates in three out of the seven contested seats, the party still showed great strength.
“And it is important to note that the PDP is virtually dead in Ogun State, with their leading lights as Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, Dimeji Bankole and Lekan Mustapha all gone down.
“For a party that is barely five weeks, winning a seat in the House of Representatives (Egbado North/ Imeko Afon) is a massive success in a state where a 12-year-old party, with all its might, couldn’t win a seat”.
The spokesman urged members of the party to work assiduously for PPN’s victory in subsequent elections, especially during the April 26 governorship election
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:14am On Apr 12, 2011
cant she just rest in her house? damn na by force? afterall them no do better thing for government since 1999 or 2003 or 2007 anyone wey right
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nchara: 4:23am On Apr 12, 2011
point of correction
Losing, not loosing
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by fstranger3(m): 4:25am On Apr 12, 2011
^^^

Thanks! Corrected!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by SweetT1: 4:26am On Apr 12, 2011
Under which Government?? Jonathan will not win if that's what Agbaya is thinking. And under Buhari, she and her Daddy will be sharing a prison cell.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by SweetT1: 4:28am On Apr 12, 2011
Nchara:

point of correction
Losing, not loosing

Dude thanks for that correction, i see so many Nigerians use "Loosing" instead of "Losing". I wonder where they get that from?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:32am On Apr 12, 2011
Donlittle:

cant she just rest her house? damn na by force? afterall them no do better thing for government since 1999 or 2003 or 2007 anyone wey right

The thing tire me. Why cant the witch recognize her root2
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:36am On Apr 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The thing tire me. Why cant the witch recognize her root2
na so we see am oo, i wonder why she no even dey shame, at least her papa get farm, she fit go manage am.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:37am On Apr 12, 2011
Donlittle:

na so we see am oo, i wonder why she no even dey shame, a[b]t least her papa get farm, she fit go manage am.[/b]

ROTFL! She should, she'd make a great scarecrow. tongue
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:40am On Apr 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFL! She should, she'd make a great scarecrow. tongue
lol u knw say them get am for plenty plenty chicken? maybe she dey fear make them chicken no go comot her eye na, na whu knw?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 12, 2011
lol cheesy
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 12, 2011
grin grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by olawalebabs(m): 6:06am On Apr 12, 2011
Donlittle:

cant she just rest her house? damn na by force? afterall them no do better thing for government since 1999 or 2003 or 2007 anyone wey right
which work can she do, they are all jobless, clueless person always seeing governance as a do or die affairs.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by CrudeOil2(m): 6:14am On Apr 12, 2011
She wont get any ministerial position. Its over for her.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Beaf: 6:16am On Apr 12, 2011
I wonder if Osun Defender is worse than Sahara Reporters, or Sahara Reporters is worse than Osun Defender. Its confusing, because both are so damn poor! embarassed
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 6:19am On Apr 12, 2011
Beaf:

I wonder if Osun Defender is worse than Sahara Reporters, or Sahara Reporters is worse than Osun Defender. Its confusing, because both are so damn poor! embarassed
i wonder why yhu always conclude that every damn news out there is poor, even with concrete proof, u always say sumthing
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Aivoyin(f): 12:17pm On Apr 12, 2011
if she determined to be she can be
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Lagosboy: 12:26pm On Apr 12, 2011
Let us vote out PDP so that iyabo does not get back to Abuja o.

OBJ should do her some good by finding a husband for her to keep her busy
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by bisiaet: 12:28pm On Apr 12, 2011
Iyabo for Ministerial appointment?? That would be weird for real.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by blacksta(m): 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2011
Beaf:

Beaf u want to bet  - i dont think u really understand the murky waters of Nigerian politics .  If GEJ returns as president bankole and Iyabo are sure candidates for ministerial positions or somewhere where awoofing can continue.

PDP takes care of family  -placing round pegs in square holes ( a party built on no ideologies  - all na padi padi arrangement)

Did musilu obanikoro not get ambassadorial post
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Ecash1: 12:30pm On Apr 12, 2011
Minister ??.  
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by AljUche: 12:35pm On Apr 12, 2011
Lagosboy:

Let us vote out PDP so that iyabo does not get back to Abuja o.

OBJ should do her some good by finding a husband for her to keep her busy
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by seguno2: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2011
blacksta:

Beaf u want to bet  - i dont think u really understand the murky waters of Nigerian politics .  If GEJ returns as president bankole and Iyabo are sure candidates for ministerial positions or somewhere where awoofing can continue.

PDP takes care of family  -placing round pegs in square holes ( a party built on no ideologies  - all na padi padi arrangement)

Did musilu obanikoro not get ambassadorial post

Just the same way ACN also takes care of family- wife, kids, in-laws and even business associates of Tinubu are all settled in Lagos and other states he controls.
Same story for CPC, ANPP, APGA etc.
All the big parties are the same - six & half a dozen, no difference, no ideology.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Busols757: 12:51pm On Apr 12, 2011
oh sorry dear.  Why don't you take time off to enjoy your money and leave Government for capeble hands (hopefuly)  

I dey laugh o grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 12, 2011
Gbenga Daniel, a committed Awoist ?. This is an insult to the memory of the late Sage, The man, OGD, is everything Awolowo wasn't,

OGD is a tyrant, a ritualist and a sponsor of killer squads.

Check out one of OGD's democratic credentials: He "successfully" used 9 members of the Ogun State House of Assembly to suspend the majority 15 (including the Speaker, who still retains the mace till date). The minority members have been approving several appointments including those of commissioners and membership of local government caretakers' committees, etc. and passing bills (including multi-billion Naira Budgets) inside a room in the Governor's Office, which the Governor has been gleefully "implementing".

On infrastructure, late Awo embarked on enduring projects. Some roads constructed by Awo before independence are still in service today. OGD and his OGROMA constructed roads are sub-standard and death traps. The late SSG to OGD met his untimely death in one of craters on one of OGD "new" roads.

I don't understand while otherwise respected elders like Pa Ayo Adebanjo, Pa Reuben Fasoranti and Sir Olaniwun Ajayi are bent on squandering whatever is left of Afenifere's goodwill on the drowning OGD. We know the desperation of OGD to plant a successor in Ogun State's Government House to cover his dirty deals. There is no hiding place. Judgment day is here!.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by 1025: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2011
who wins the president of nigeria does not settle it all. now we are not going to have a free for all pdp senators. the house will have mixed minds unlike the all pdp affairs we used to have.
apes like iyabo with such an irresponsible background will never have their ways as usual.
for those doubting this story, i will refer you to my state(Imo) where obasanjo in 2007 insisted that eng. charles ugwu wld be the gov. with the resistance of imo ppl, he failed and Eng Ugwu was later made the minister of commerce under yar adua/jonathan. eng. ugwu was the president of Manufacturers association of nigeria under obasanjo and they were the first organisation to endorse obj's third term. again, we had a gov in achike udenwa who was the first gov to endorse obj's third term agenda and thereby avoided the problem of efcc and further was compensated with ministerial appointment.
chief vincent ogbulafor failed in his gubanitorial efforts in abia and was made and minister and the chairman of pdp afterwards.
the idea of iyabo waiting for ministerial appointment is not strange but will never be business as usual no matter who wins.
further more, we still have ivory coast, libya, tunisia, algeria still fresh in our minds so winning a lone does not ensure anything here. because we are waiting.
one useless family always wanting to be everywhere at everytime. the other nigerians have come to look at u shameless faces. obasanjo is so shameless that has become an agent of shame.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by Machine007: 1:12pm On Apr 12, 2011
pls, is baba still laughing ?
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by sledge406: 1:19pm On Apr 12, 2011
Many of you are quick to state issues without getting background facts. Even if she is poised for a Ministerial appointment should Goodluck win, what makes you think she'd be allowed to serve? With the way the NASS Chambers is structered at the moment, if her name is sent there for screening, what do you think will be response of the house (who are claiming now to be the voice of the people)?

Let's see how they get that so-called Ministerial position.
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by bababuff(m): 1:37pm On Apr 12, 2011
The ACN chieftain, however, lauded Bankole for conceding victory, saying: [b]“he (Speaker) was the one who woke me up this morning with his phone call. He did very well, he conceded victory and congratulated ACN and I was moved to the extent that I immediately took my bath and drove myself down to his house to pray for him because he has done very well.”[/b]Osoba further commended the role played by policemen, soldiers and other security agents during the elections, saying they braced all odds to prevent rigging by some unscrupulous politicians.

That's why I like the Yoruba people, they are very good at settling their grievances moving on. Ti elejo ba ti mo ejo lebi, ko ni pe lori ikun le  grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by uglybetty: 1:43pm On Apr 12, 2011
We shall see!!
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by kingWazi: 1:46pm On Apr 12, 2011
i dey laugh oooooo grin
Re: Iyabo Obasanjo Poised For Ministerial Appointment After Losing Senate Seat by andyanders: 1:51pm On Apr 12, 2011
THIS MUST BE A JOKE. MINISTER OF WHAT? "MINISTER OF ROGUES"? TO CONTINUE FROM WHERE SHE AND HER FATHER STOPPED?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Another ‘ojukwu’ Will Go To War If You Touch Ihejirika – Ohanaeze Warns / Dangote's Deep-sea Pipeline project exposes the Lagos crude oil fraud / Borno Massacre: Nigeria Is On Auto Pilot - PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.