Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? (33114 Views)

SCAM ALERT : Is Wakanow.com A Fraud? / My Wahala With WAKANOW.COM And Ethiopian Airwways / Wakanow Nig LTD Shabby Service. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by shaddie(m): 11:34am On Apr 12, 2011
Hi Nairalanders, I intend to travel for vacation in the summer and I have 3 destinations in my mind. In all my previous travels (business or pleasure) I purchase my tickets from the airlines directly and also make direct arrangement with the hotels (I just don't believe in online payment). This time around however, while trying to beat the summer rush and hike in fares associated with the season, I did my window shopping online, booked the airline with the best fares, rushed to bank, withdrew money and quickly dashed to their office to make payment. I was however disappointed when they told me at the counter that the actual fare is far higher than what's on their website. the difference was quite significant that I aborted my plans.

On my way back, as I was thinking, I remembered the several advertisement I had seen in the national dailies about wakanow.com and on getting back to the office, I visited their website and confirmed that their fares are quite cheap including the hotels, airport pick-ups etc. I however don't have any information about them. I'm therefore calling out on Nairalanders who have had any sort of experience with them to help out cause the money involved here is huge and is not something I'll want to gamble with.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Shinatu: 10:26am On Apr 13, 2011
The fact that they are unable to deliver the exact fare quoted on their website gives a bad feeling.
or are u given the option of buying the ticket online immediately at the specified fare?
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Vicjustice: 4:53pm On May 11, 2011
What airline do you wish to book, and by the way, where is your destination? I might offer some help if you need it.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by reindeer: 7:37am On May 12, 2011
the only thing making me uncomfortable is the new usernames supporting this undecided
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 19, 2011
Support from new usernames gives me that sinking feeling too. . .
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by JeSoul(f): 2:53pm On May 19, 2011
reindeer:

the only thing making me uncomfortable is the new usernames supporting this undecided
Plucked the thought right outta my head lol.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by DisGuy: 1:31am On Jun 29, 2011
I read about the company on some business website.

for those that have used their service or those that work there on this thread, is it possible to do everything online including payment without having to call customer service once you have your card

how are the tickets delivered or can one pick them up at the airport or email?

Compared to traditional methods of buying ticket are they cheaper?
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by AjanleKoko: 10:27am On Jun 29, 2011
I have met some of the guys behind wakanow.com professionally. They are an organization that exists, if that's what scares people. They are an actual set up.
I have never used their services personally. I do know they organized a tour for SA 2010, and have something planned for the London Olympics as well.

They do support e-payment on their site. Interswitch, Mastercard, E-Tranzact I think. Not sure about Visa.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by DisGuy: 7:23pm On Jul 06, 2011
Cool

Looks like straight up expedia Nigeria, hope they are marketing it well
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by saintbajar(m): 10:58am On Jul 08, 2011
i once used them. to book with south africa airways.

and they were very ok for me,
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by OpsE1: 11:11am On Jul 08, 2011
I used them just early this week to book UK tickets and the response wasn't bad though I have not used the e-tickets they sent
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by OpsE1: 1:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
I recommend those guys they are good.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by shola2k: 10:22am On Oct 05, 2011
@Chelseabmw i see your level of ignorance and shortsightedness on your post "dats a scam site. . .

poster, pls use only wakanow.com". I wont even engage in a discussion with you on this
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by blank(f): 12:30pm On Oct 06, 2011
So any feedback? Shaddie, how did it go?
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by licious001: 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
hello everyone, this site was really helpful to me.............i used wakanow recently for my visa, hotel booking, flight etc..............I HAD A GREAT TIME IN DUBAI........THEY WHERE SOOO HELPFUL.THUMBS UP TO WAKANOW!! wink
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Jaku: 12:20pm On May 10, 2013
Am a long time follower of various threads on Nairaland for 6yrs now. But i think i should make a clear awareness about the fraudulent act of Wakanow.com before other innocent people fall victim. Have used their services 3times within a short period of 2months traveling out of Nigeria. But the scam unfolded when i missed my flight,in request to change date i was told the ticket can not be USED. I contacted SAA and i was told the ticket was not purchased with the company name "Wakanow" rather it was bought by another individual.Knowing clearly i paid directly into Wakanow's account i called but each time i make a complain, the call is dropped. I tried email but they won't reply.

Note: Underneath the ticket, the term & condition states " Ticket None Refundable - Date change /no show fee applies".

Fraudulent strategy:-

They purchase ticket as individual with hidden conditions unknown to you.
They promise you good customer service, but its nothing to write about

Lesson learned:-

NEVER deal with wakanow.com if they don't bleed you today, they will bleed you tomorrow out of your hard earned money.

4 Likes

Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 10, 2013
I do not really know about other experiences but i used wakanow in booking my flight and they have never failed me. To each his own anyways.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Firefire(m): 8:02pm On May 10, 2013
Jaku: Am a long time follower of various threads on Nairaland for 6yrs now. But i think i should make a clear awareness about the fraudulent act of Wakanow.com before other innocent people fall victim. Have used their services 3times within a short period of 2months traveling out of Nigeria. But the scam unfolded when i missed my flight,in request to change date i was told the ticket can not be USED. I contacted SAA and i was told the ticket was not purchased with the company name "Wakanow" rather it was bought by another individual.Knowing clearly i paid directly into Wakanow's account i called but each time i make a complain, the call is dropped. I tried email but they won't reply.

Note: Underneath the ticket, the term & condition states " Ticket None Refundable - Date change /no show fee applies".

Fraudulent strategy:-

They purchase ticket as individual with hidden conditions unknown to you.
They promise you good customer service, but its nothing to write about

Lesson learned:-

NEVER deal with wakanow.com if they don't bleed you today, they will bleed you tomorrow out of your hard earned money.

@ Jaku,
So sorry about your experience. However, I have used WAKANOW 3 times and I have this to say.
1. First Time: I book a ticket to Dubai (7th Dec ’12 – 7th Jan ’13) I called them and they confirmed my price, I did an online bank transfer into their UBA account from my own UBA UDirect. I called them to inform them of my payment. So annoying they told me the price has increased with some thousands (like 3k) I still found the price fine by me as I cross check also on the Airline website directly. My guy travelled and he needs to do a change of date on his ticket in Dubai, he makes some payment and adjusted his returning date. (Airline – ETHIOPIAN Airline)
2. I made the second booking on WAKANOW for a friend also to the UK on British Airways (26th Feb. – March 4th 2013). I did go to British airways website and I updated the guy’s details. He travelled and came back successfully. I could have as well done my direct booking on the British Airway website but is a condition that you must bring the Card you use to book the ticket along with you while boarding. So the difference is not much so I use Wakanow. (Airline – British Airline)
3. Last 3 weeks I did another booking on Wakanow to Dubai and the journey was fine no problem. (Airline – Qatar Airline) 15th April – 21st April 2013.
All this are my personal submission. The e-ticket sent to me has this address:
WAKANOW LIMITED DATE 14FEBRUARY13
PLOT 8 ELEGUSHI BEACH ROAD BOOKING REF 3FHKZA
IKATE ROUNDABOUT
LEKKI PENINSULA
NIGERIA
TELEPHONE:
EML:

These posts represent my personal experience with Wakanow and not subject to any query; but I could provide all emails, ticket to support all this if in doubt. So be guided accordingly!
However, you are advised to act best in your own interest.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by mujeebt99: 5:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
Wakanow is pure 419ers. They quote their fake prices on their website. After booking and making payment into their bank account, they call and notify you that u have to pay more money, that the ticket fare has gone up. When u compare the money to what is on the airline site, u discover it is a total lie. Imagine their fake PNR number could expire less than 1 hour after booking on their site; when you can genuinely hold a PNR of klm,ba,delta,emirate,etc for atleast between 48 hours to 72 hours. These wakanow.com cheated me and I believe they will dearly pay for it. "4dzlec" that was their fake PNR. I know their might have agent, worker/staff on NL because I can read comments on some people trying to speak good of you. for where NA LIE. investigate on my CASE via your fake PNR u gave me. WAKANOW NA MODERN ONLINE THIEF OOOO.

1 Like

Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Lagishan: 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2013
Statistics suggest that when customers complain, business owners and managers ought to get excited about it. The complaining customer represents a huge opportunity for more business. Zig Zigler.
Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by Angeljay(f): 11:34am On Aug 12, 2013
mujeebt99: Wakanow is pure 419ers. They quote their fake prices on their website. After booking and making payment into their bank account, they call and notify you that u have to pay more money, that the ticket fare has gone up. When u compare the money to what is on the airline site, u discover it is a total lie. Imagine their fake PNR number could expire less than 1 hour after booking on their site; when you can genuinely hold a PNR of klm,ba,delta,emirate,etc for atleast between 48 hours to 72 hours. These wakanow.com cheated me and I believe they will dearly pay for it. "4dzlec" that was their fake PNR. I know their might have agent, worker/staff on NL because I can read comments on some people trying to speak good of you. for where NA LIE. investigate on my CASE via your fake PNR u gave me. WAKANOW NA MODERN ONLINE THIEF OOOO.

Take it easy, please read my post on another thread - Wakanow Nig LTD Shabby Service. - Travel - Nairaland: I believe they will do something about your case if you ask nicely... these things happen. As for my experience with Emirates: A customer service agent asked me to pay into an account and I was latter told it was a wrong account because my travel date was close by and I was asked to pay another 250k for me to claim my booking. I was refered to the supervisors and he categorically told me there was nothing he could do about it. I was told that I will get my refund 2 weeks after. I had to cancel the program I was going for and that cost me some. I am not saying we should take shit, but we should understand that they are humans just like you and I, but we can still try our best to get them to do the right thing and I don't think we can achieve that by calling names. You can go to their office if need be, as long as you have all your evidence. WAKANOW please threat you customers right... Nija please lets do things right....
Find my previous post below -

First of all I'd like to say that given the fact that this is the first time we have an agency that is aspiring to be world class in Nigeria, we should give kudos to the founder of Wakanow for the initiative. I must say that some of us who are fast in condemning this achievement have very personal reasons.... If you are a competitor to Wakanow on this thread, let me plead with you to find other means to achieve market leadership than painting your competitors black, if possible learn one or two things from them and avoid their mistakes, that way you'll achieve your goals.

Secondly Wakanow, I honestly admire your initiative but I won’t say I am thrilled. I expected you to take advantage of Nigeria's notoriety for poor services, in order to achieve market leadership. Truthfully, I have never used your services but my reason for being on this thread is because I am trying to. I must say that I am quite reluctant because I am presently finding it difficult to reach your phone lines in order to confirm the validity of my bookings, before I proceed to pay. I also noticed that you do not truly have 24hrs customer service because yesterday evening, I was first in line for more than 30mins and had to hang up after wasting so much airtime. In addition to some complaints on this thread that seems genuine, I have therefore concluded that your biggest problem is Customer Service and I don't think you'll get it right if your Customer service department do not sit up.

If you incur debts for your customers by not responding to their request to change travel dates or attending to their bookings and payments ASAP, you are giving people more reasons not to patronize travel agents. In my many travels, I have noticed that the reason why some airlines or travel agencies are better than others is just because of the efficiency of their customer service... Nobody wants stories on a journey, nobody wants to spend above their budget on travel, unless it brings fulfillment. Even when there are issues every passenger wants to know that someone is on their case and is doing everything to the best interest of the passenger. For instance, even though I've had some unfortunate experiences with Emirates, I still prefer to fly them instead of their competitors. Why? Because anytime I call Emirates office, especially their headquarters customer service line in Dubai, I repeat anytime and without waste of time, they answer and they do something about my case. Even if I don't get a favorable result, that speed of response gives me the assurance that I matter.

Wakanow, if you want to get it right re-orientate your customer service on the potential of every customer at least that’s what IATA customer service program teaches. May be you should make those IATA courses a bases for employment and look for ways to ensure staff compliance. If you are having problems with your present phone company, change them or use several (at least that’s what works in Nija - to be truly mobile you must have MTN, airtel, GLO... God help us). Travel agency requires 24hrs prompt and efficient services... Ogas at the top, don't be bureaucratic, monitor your frontline staff and ensure they are doing things right if you want to make a difference in this tough industry (travel and tourism industry is not for the faint hearted).

Finally, for those on this thread, lets appreciate Nija content... and a word of advice to other travel and tours agencies, Nigeria is big enough for all, in fact you haven't taken advantage of half of the potentials of this populous nation, instead of wasting time trying to rubbish your competitors, work harder, be innovative and take advantage of the big market, maybe someday you could become a world class like those in the developed nation. If you keep saying awful things about your competitors you will lose potential clients to airlines.

So can you stop competing and give travelers reasonable information about using Wakanow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please, How Reliable Is Wakanow.com? by babalo1: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
[b][/b]Please and please do not fall for wakanow scam, they are a bunch of scammers, i tried booking with them took my money, no ticket.

(1) (2) (Reply)

South African Man Gets His Nigerian Visa & He's Excited / Man Escapes Deportation From Sweden The Second Time By Crying Inconsolably / Bank Manager In Nigeria Or Gateman In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.