Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Kwara Governorship Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kwara Governorship Debate (1091 Views)

Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) / Lagos Governorship Debate: Candidate Performace Ratings By Premium Times / Gbemisola Saraki joins Kwara governorship race; set to battle brother again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kwara Governorship Debate by bilms(m): 2:29pm On Apr 12, 2011
here is an argument between the people of kwara state about the best man for kwara.

Rowland Olonishuwa
In our search for freedom in kwara state we shld not be sway by money or the frenzy excitement that abounds in our polity. Gbenga Olawepo is a trusted and tested man, committed to moving Kwara 4ward. Let's vote 4 him.

Okeke Izuchukwu Job: This Igbomina voice i hear

o
Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi: Yes, he is very much on his own on this

Okeke Izuchukwu Job: Fatai must take it, whether true or false we must not discourage Bukola from the change that has started,

o
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: Gbenga is the authentic man for freedom

o
Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi: fake man, you mean to say?

o
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat:: be objective, when u accuse a man of a claim, u prove it, what do u mean by fake?

o
Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi: Go check his antecedents as National Deputy Secretary of PDP, then we can talk after that

o
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: i know abt this, what abt it?

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat
You may have the wrong idea about him but here is a brief of what happened as a member of PDP, At the first PDP elected convention in August 1999, the businessman cum politician, Olawepo, was elected Deputy National Publicity Secretary. As, a member of the National Executive Committee of the ruling party, he acquired the reputation of being a fearless and honest leader who spoke the truth to power. He advocated for adherence to party constitution and internal democracy in party administration, transparency and accountability in governance. In an administration that was initially distracted by executive- legislative squabbles, though he was close to the President, he publicly upbraided his dictatorial tendencies while supporting his anti-corruption crusade. He was also on top of efforts to make the leadership of the National Assembly accountable. He was committed to a set of ideals no matter whose horse was gored. ‘’His tenure in that capacity is easily remembered for the principled stand he took at a time when individual selfish interests constituted the looming albatross of the PDP. He personally fought against a ploy hatched by top national officials of the party to extend the tenure of party officers in contravention of the party statutes. The interesting irony in his position is that he would have been one of the beneficiaries had it succeeded. The furore and dust which that incident generated can be said to have contributed to his ouster from office and the eventual travails he suffered in PDP; such rare triumph of personal principle over a tempting political opportunism marked him out as a politician for the future’’.[20]

Although he was returned to his office after a protracted court battle, a long bitter struggle over constitutionalism internal democracy and due process has been ignited in the party leading to the resignation of a number of founding fathers including Olawepo from the party as it grew increasingly anti-democratic with its officials acting increasingly with impunity. The crises in the PDP, however, brought to fore the best of Olawepo, which could not be ignored by his critics. Speaking about Olawepo, the present Foreign Minister of Nigeria and former National Secretary of the PDP, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, notes, ‘’the lives of people like Olawepo should inspire us to speak well of ourselves. Gbenga is an inner driven person not afraid to stand alone, not afraid to be unpopular, not afraid to hold a view. A man who is inner driven listens to the music of his own universe, listens to the applause of the spirit inside that have etched out an horizon, which he must conquer and moving in that direction, he takes the lead and others follow who can see the horizon with him, of such is the stuff of history, of such is the stuff of greatness., Olawepo, was elected Deputy National Publicity Secretary. As, a member of the National Executive Committee of the ruling party, he acquired the reputation of being a fearless and honest leader who spoke the truth to power. He advocated for adherence to party constitution and internal democracy in party administration, transparency and accountability in governance. In an administration that was initially distracted by executive- legislative squabbles, though he was close to the President, he publicly upbraided his dictatorial tendencies while supporting his anti-corruption crusade. He was also on top of efforts to make the leadership of the National Assembly accountable. He was committed to a set of ideals no matter whose horse was gored. ‘’His tenure in that capacity is easily remembered for the principled stand he took at a time when individual selfish interests constituted the looming albatross of the PDP. He personally fought against a ploy hatched by top national officials of the party to extend the tenure of party officers in contravention of the party statutes. The interesting irony in his position is that he would have been one of the beneficiaries had it succeeded. The furore and dust which that incident generated can be said to have contributed to his ouster from office and the eventual travails he suffered in PDP; such rare triumph of personal principle over a tempting political opportunism marked him out as a politician for the future’’.lthough he was returned to his office after a protracted court battle, a long bitter struggle over constitutionalism internal democracy and due process has been ignited in the party leading to the resignation of a number of founding fathers including Olawepo from the party as it grew increasingly anti-democratic with its officials acting increasingly with impunity. The crises in the PDP, however, brought to fore the best of Olawepo, which could not be ignored by his critics. Speaking about Olawepo, the present Foreign Minister of Nigeria and former National Secretary of the PDP, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, notes, ‘’the lives of people like Olawepo should inspire us to speak well of ourselves. Gbenga is an inner driven person not afraid to stand alone, not afraid to be unpopular, not afraid to hold a view. A man who is inner driven listens to the music of his own universe, listens to the applause of the spirit inside that have etched out an horizon, which he must conquer and moving in that direction, he takes the lead and others follow who can see the horizon with him, of such is the stuff of history, of such is the stuff of greatness.

Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi :
If you know what he did during those times, like you claim, then you will probably rate him just the same as Bukola and co. And not begin to describe him as a man of integrity, an original man, and what have you. Na the same bus carry them with the sarakis of this world. There is a big question mark on Olawepo's integrity. The same way we cannot trust Bukola, no one is sure, going by what is known of this your man, that we can trust him. And again, Olawepo shoot himself in the leg by running an ethnic card. What as Igbomina got to do with whether or not I will support him. I am from emirate, if he convince me to support him, why not? A student from KWASU just told me that Belgore promised them free education or a reduction in school fees. Now, that is a very realistic campaign which can make me vote for Belgore, coupled with the history and performance of his party, especially in Lagos.But what did your Olawepo promised in his campaign? " I will create 5000 jobs within 2 years". Now, ask yourself, is that realistic? Can you create something out of nothing? Which industries is in place in Kwara that you are going to create 5000 jobs from? That is a clear dearth of original thought from your so-called original man. We would end up hearing stories from him after winning elections, and propably an appeal to youths to go work in Shonga farm. I guess that is what the promise of the 5000 jobs is all about. Isn't it?

o
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: huh, y are u diverting the question u asked, u claimed he did something as d secretary and i told u what he did, so if u no another thing, say it.

o
Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi: I have read all these performance and track record gimmick on KWARA CHRONICLE. At least, I have some background in Journalism, and I know how packagin and Public Relations works. So, I describe my pay master as a "fearless man who speak truth to power". And so? Does that truly make him one?

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: About the job, yes Belgore promised free education, But i am surprised you are yet to know that in gbenga olawepo's manifesto since 2007 till date there was always a free education in it. for primary and secondary school. and drastic reduction of the state university fee. it was his manifesto in 2007 to create a state university b4 bukola did it, but in an unreasonable way which is far from helping the people.
17 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
o
Muhammed Funsho Abdullahi: I am not diverting. Youw were not telling me what he did. Rather, what you have just given to me is Olawepo's PROFILE. I have just given you an instance in his campaign that shows he is as empty as most politicians of his generation. Now, let's be frank, because this conversation is getting interesting. I have met Olawepo a couple of times, and I think he is an intelligent man. I was a student in UNILORIN when he was invited by ABSSS to deliver a paper, he was then in PDP, and I think he is quite intelligent. But intelligence is not enough. All those things I was referring to that he did while in PDP, I heard them from sources that I may not wish to quote. So, let's leave Olawepo's personality out of this and talk of issues. Now, let's assume for a moment that you are the Campaign Manager for Olawepo, please tell me four strategic issues that have dominated his campiagn prior to this election. I am listening

o
Abdult But am sure u re not aware of the Debate organized by Labour in kwara state for all governorship candidate? let me tell what happened. Gbenga Olawepo read his manifesto and mentioned free education and free health care for under 18 and over 60 years old people, 400,000 jobs to be created in four years. Belgore read his manifesto as free education and all sort., so when d question came, u said free education and all, how do u intend to create free education and other free things u mentioned in ur manifesto since kwara does not have money as widely published, Dele Belgore was unable to explain, he was asked how much does kwara earn, how much will it cost to do all the free things he mentioned but all he keeps saying was that kwara has money. When Gbenga olawepo was asked, he said Kwra receives 190b in four years from fed acc, apart from excess crude, igr, and other, according to him the kwara internal generated revenue as at 2009 was 1.9b, creating free education and health will cost 34 billion, and creating 400,000 jobs in 4 years will cost 60billion in 2007 and 84b now, he gave all fact and figures on his manifesto, infact he gave all attendant a blue print of his program for everyone to see. i saw the blueprint and i confess that Gbenga is the real messiah kwara need. he said further, if the figures i gave is wrong, we have the comminioner of finance here now a contestant, he should say if i gave wrong figures.
Re: Kwara Governorship Debate by bilms(m): 3:04pm On Apr 12, 2011
#
Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: I do not understand ur question ,but let me asnwer the little way i understand it. Good to hear you ask this question. I am not his Campaign manager, but what i know is that, I know of his empowerment program for women, were he gave over 1000 women non interest loan for business. i know about the training workshop he organized for artisans prio to this election year.

what can u say about Dele's program prio to this election time?

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: u talked about kwara chronicle, but i talked about wikipdia encyclopedia, a reserach done by individual personality by a research
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbenga_Toyosi_Olawepo

all references inclusive

Muhammed: correct one! Now you are talking. I am beginning to say OLAWEPO is the man, already. But let's carry go

Abdulrazaq O Hamzat: I really appreciate u as a person who is driven by facts. i will urge to pass this message across to friends and family to join hands in making kwara a great Place to be. One love

(1) (Reply)

Seun Needs Attention. . And Maybe A Babe? / Election Appeals To Supreme Court In Great Risk / Abu Darda Arrested Not Abu Qaqa- The SSS Has Someone Else In Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.