Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,929 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation (34954 Views)

Condoms, Guns, Cigarettes From German Submarine Sank During WWII (Pics) / WWII Plane Recovered From Black Sea After Crashing 77 Years Ago(Pics) / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:04am On Mar 15, 2021
Hello Nairalanders!

This post might be helpful for Nigerians living in diaspora or looking to vacation in the USA.

Let's me first say, I absolutely love "NOLA" as we here in the states fondly refer to New Orleans - it's literally a melting and such a fun city. The city simply does not sleep, and pretty much anything goes!

I recently visiting New Orleans, Louisiana on a “foodie tour” for 4 days. You might ask “what is a foodie tour”? It’s when you travel to a destination specifically to taste and sample local foods (and cocktails). Louisiana is a southern state and their cooking techniques clearly were passed down from our ancestors in Western Africa and France.

By way of history, Louisiana purchased African slaves and was part of the slave trade. We had the opportunity to visit the Whitney Plantation Museum. The Whitney Plantation Museum is the only museum in Louisiana with an exclusive focus on the lives of enslaved people. Many of its decedents can be linked back to Western Africa – a few we traced back to Nigeria, specifically Igbo and Yoruba tribes, although I’m sure there were other tribes.

I like to share this experience with you because many to travel to the USA yet bypass the southern states which you may have lineage through. It’s definitely eye opening (and painful) to see some of the conditions your ancestors had to live in and endure. However it’s our history and part of who we are.

We also visited the National WWII Museum which was quite interesting and educational as well.

If you would like to see about my travels, learn about budget travel tips, feel free to follow me on Instagram @MsTravelinDiva_ and YouTube MsTravelinDiva_.

Safe travels and I hope you enjoy!

First set of pictures is from my hotel. We lodged at the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:07am On Mar 15, 2021
Lobby and other areas within my hotel Ritz Carlton New Orleans

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:10am On Mar 15, 2021
Acme Oyster Bar

We enjoyed oyster shooters (oyster with vodka, you drink all in one shot)

Char-grilled Oysters and Fried Crab Fingers

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:14am On Mar 15, 2021
Cocktails at Back Space Bar. This drink was called “Paper Plane”!

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:16am On Mar 15, 2021
Bevi Seafood

Excellent seafood, we sample crawfish and a catfish po-boy sandwich. We also enjoyed and very strong cocktails called “Hurricane”!

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:18am On Mar 15, 2021
Neyows is a black owned restaurant and we sampled, grilled red fish, fried chicken, carrot soufflé, seafood gumbo, red beans and rice.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:21am On Mar 15, 2021
Victory is another black owned restaurant.

We enjoyed a drink called the Sazerac (bourbon based drink)

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:22am On Mar 15, 2021
We enjoyed desert at hotel

Cheese charcuterie board
Beignets
Banana Bread Pudding

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:24am On Mar 15, 2021
Red Fish Grill on the famous Bourbon Street! We sampled: BBQ Oysters, round of Oyster Shooters (cocktail), Fried Catfish Bites

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by akinjideace(m): 1:25am On Mar 15, 2021
Awesome cuisine!!!

I'm a web developer, with 8 years experience. I'd you have an idea to transform into digital solutions, let's work. I'm available.

12 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:27am On Mar 15, 2021
Visited Tropical Isle Bar for their famous drink called the Hand Grenade!

We also sample Banana Pudding desert at Red Fish.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:30am On Mar 15, 2021
Me and my hubby enjoying our Hand Grenade and New Orleans. The cocktail inside the syringe is filled with a vodka and rum Jell-O shot!

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:32am On Mar 15, 2021
The Whitney Plantation Museum

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:33am On Mar 15, 2021
More pics from Whitney Plantation.

Names of slaves and the cuff that attached to slaves necks when they arrived.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:35am On Mar 15, 2021
More pictures from Whitney Plantation

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by akinjideace(m): 1:36am On Mar 15, 2021
Mstravelindiva:
The Whitney Plantation Museum

The third image is our traditional mortar and pestle here in Nigeria. That plantation has a whole lot of history in there. cry

I might go emotional whenever I visit.

27 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:37am On Mar 15, 2021
More pics from Whitney Plantation.

This is in reference to the 1811 German uprising in Louisiana and the punishment suffered for those captured.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:39am On Mar 15, 2021
National WWII Musuem in New Orleans

7 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:46am On Mar 15, 2021
akinjideace:

The third image is our traditional mortar and pestle here in Nigeria. That plantation has a whole lot of history in there. cry

I might go emotional whenever I visit.

Understand, I left in tears but I’m grateful I went. I’m black and proud, and it was good to see just what my ancestors endured. Unfortunately they don’t teach this in American schools, even though it’s part of our history.

I’m my ancestors wildest dream, and they didn’t die in vain because Black Lives Matter!

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 1:48am On Mar 15, 2021
National WWII Musuem in New Orleans

5 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by akinjideace(m): 1:58am On Mar 15, 2021
Mstravelindiva:

Understand, I left in tears but I’m grateful I went. I’m black and proud, and it was good to see just what my ancestors endured. Unfortunately they don’t teach this in American schools, even though it’s part of our history.

I’m my ancestors wildest dream, and they didn’t
die in vain because Black Lives Matter!

Right! Even in the whiteman's world, black people are indispensable and valuable as much as we need them. We black people are intellectuals, blessed and excellent. The best they can do is to preserve the memories and let love lead. Whatever happened back then was the trend in the world back then. Humanity has moved on. Love should come first. No race is superior, nothing like pro-blacks, white supremacy, it's all against humanity. The world should come together as one.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Legalcriminal: 3:57am On Mar 15, 2021
Everytime I go through NL post seeing people enjoying outside the country.

ME:
Abi make I hang on aero plane too!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 4:07am On Mar 15, 2021
akinjideace:

Right! Even in the whiteman's world, black people are indispensable and valuable as much as we need them. We black people are intellectuals, blessed and excellent. The best they can do is to preserve the memories and let love lead. Whatever happened back then was the trend in the world back then. Humanity has moved on. Love should come first. No race is superior, nothing like pro-blacks, white supremacy, it's all against humanity. The world should come together as one.

Very well said friend! Very well said!

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by TWoods(m): 5:17am On Mar 15, 2021
Wow! My wife and i have talked about doing the plantation trip from Houston... this is an inspiration. Been to the WW2 museum on a work trip.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 5:24am On Mar 15, 2021
TWoods:
Wow! My wife and i have talked about doing the plantation trip from Houston... this is an inspiration. Been to the WW2 museum on a work trip.

YES friend, you should definitely go and visit the The Whitney Plantation. It’s emotional yet educational and inspirational. Finally a museum from the victims point of view. We were so grateful and happy we went. One of the highlights of my trip! grin

Houston isn’t too far away from NOLA, plus they got amazing food, some of the best live jazz bands playing everyday and a lit nightlife! Oooooo Bourbon street is an adventure in itself!

8 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by ipobarethieves: 8:07am On Mar 15, 2021
cool

1 Like

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by LMS1(m): 8:40am On Mar 15, 2021
Mhen! Looking At Those Pics At Some Point Made Me Wonder If I Was In Instagram But I Then Realise It's Still Nairaland cheesy
Gudus To You Op, You Travel To Anywere At Will.
You Are Such A Legitimate Hushpuppy grin
But Like Someone Said Earlier Watch Your Weight," E Be Like You Too Like Food" Or Perhabs You Are Mainly A Food Tourist. grin

3 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by abiona36622: 8:45am On Mar 15, 2021
Lobby and other areas within my hotel Ritz Carlton New Orleans
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Reex12(m): 9:34am On Mar 15, 2021
Mstravelindiva this is lovely keep up the goodwork I love your posts, it gives vibes of abroad

7 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 2:46pm On Mar 15, 2021
Reex12:
Mstravelindiva this is lovely keep up the goodwork I love your posts, it gives vibes of abroad

Thank you friend!
Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by gnykelly(m): 11:50pm On Mar 15, 2021
I don

21 Likes

Re: My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation by Mstravelindiva: 12:26am On Mar 16, 2021
gnykelly:
I don't think I can forgive the whites for this atrocities. 300 good years a whole race was subjected to a level below an animal

Understandable. It’s definitely a tough pill to swallow.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gombe State Roads And Other Structures (pictures) / Amaechi Being Searched At Lagos Airport (Photo) / Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.