Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (113608 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:27am On Aug 15, 2012
Somebody is STILL HURTING. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kony1(m): 3:08am On Aug 15, 2012
Shollypopz: AAs and the problem they have with have/has....smh

@Thread: If you are one of the exception, u hv nothing to worry about.
No, we think you guys are wayward, no brain having morons but then again, there are exceptions(lol). Truth be told, Nigerians tend to love and claim those exceptions.
1st sign: He picks a Nigerian name to call you by

In shut, i have a Nigerian friend that is courting an AA that was my roommate in college. She was more or less a sister to me. I kinda made her Nigerian after some time though, the guy is extra crazy about her. She was and still remains an exception to most AAs i've come in contact with. #honestly

In shut there is no need for me to write an essay, he says you're an exception. That's a good thing!
Do most Nigerians think highly of AAs - NO!!

[size=5pt]Another thing i've noticed is i tend to love AAs that went to a predominantly white high school[/size]

The world thinks the bolded part about all of africa, whats your point?

Its always laughable when africans throw insults like that, lol look in the mirror. And the thread starter must be unattractive. BA women are the most attractive of the diaspora. If she was halfway even decent that nigerian dude would be happy just to be in her presence
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by OneNaira6: 11:14am On Aug 15, 2012
Whenever I see Nigerians or any other African throwing jabs at AA or vice versa, I simply laugh.

It is like a kettle pointing at a pot and calling him black.

ROFLMFAO @ some people.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 8:18am On Jun 26, 2013
@EzeUche
AM SOUTH AFRICAN OF GHANAIAN AND SOUTH AFRICAN DESCENT. Let me tell u I agree with the other blogger that you're TRIBALIST, that can be seen in all your posts. What funny for me is that you're a WOMAN

THE TRUETH MY SISTER IS AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE DIFFERENT TO OTHER NEW WORLD BLACKS ARE THEY DESCEND MAINLY FROM UPPER GUINEANS AND BANTU OF ANGOLA-CONGO. Yes Bight of Biafrans were imported to Virginia but they were mainly females and mated with other African groups like Akans,Mandes,Bantus to give birth to MODERN AFRO AMERICANS.

Here a GIFT from SOUTH AFRICA, this book is writen by a reknown African American prof. Holloway.
READ NIGERIAN AND CLEAR THE STREOTYPES.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://faculty.risd.edu/bcampbel/Templates/Templates/holloway.pdf
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 23, 2013
Sincere08: @DaRapture, thank you for your advice.

@EZeUche, why do so many people show hatred toward the Igbo?

Actually, there is no hate against Igbo people. Others are only concious of their stereotypes or traits..... Like they are greedy, quick to call other peoples property their eg Land because they have settled there for some time. When allowed to do business and thrive in other ethnic area, they call their host lazy, they are particularly arrogant- humility is what they don't really have. In Nigeria they are known to cry foul first and accuse others of any misfortune even though this affects all the tribes that makes up the country.
E.g Boko Haram menace is a crisis in the North that claims lives of all the groups in the country, even the northen people who many believed orchestrated the crisis but its the Igbo that will shout of the Fed Govt of trying to extinct Igbo race by not doing more. The Civil war that Nigeria fought againt Biafra, Igbo groups are still known to be demanding Billions of Naira as reparation, after 4 decades.
This in my own knowledge is what I suspect is why other tribe keep a watchful eye on them and that they call hatred and I think they always bring that upon themselves by their public speech. These are my personal opinion, is stand to be corrected.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 3:41am On Aug 26, 2013
k.o.n.y:

How do you figure most celebrity couples arent american born? I must be missing something.

Heidi Klum was born in Germany. I can think of a few more but you got my point.

An American with a foreign accent? Come on man!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 9:25am On Aug 27, 2013
@EzeUche
THE MANDINGOES OF MALI WERE 1ST AFRICANS TO REACH NORTH AMERICA BEFORE COLUMBUS. THEY CAN MAKE NOISE NOT IGBOS.

Even ANGOLANS CAN MAKE NOISE NOT IGBOS.

READ HISTORY MAN.
cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 10:35am On Sep 04, 2013
Igbos STOP LYING.

In South Carolina IGBO MALES SLAVES avoided as they were deamed WEAK,LAZY,SUICIDAL. grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2013
Lol at 2% grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
@Chima
Afro Americans descend mainly from MANDE/Senegambians and BANTUS/Angola-Congo, to a lesser extent AKAN, then Baifrans incl. Bantus from Cameroons and Cross rivers.
Mrs.Chima:
Lol at 2% grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:30pm On Sep 04, 2013
@Chima
ME AND U MUST START A THREAD NAMED
naai-geria VS SOUTH AFRICA DEVELOPMENT.
cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Louisiana slave population.
SHOWS BOTH BANTUS AND MANDES DOMINATED.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
Igbos were USELESS everywhere. cheesy grin grin grin

Not WANTED IN DEEP SOUTH/LOW COUNTRY U.S.A.
LOUSIANA SLAVE POPULATION
BANTUS AND MANDES DOMINATE AGAIN OOO. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 1:41pm On Sep 04, 2013
[b][b]@Chima

FREE LESSONS ON SLAVERY IN USA.

If u wanna see which AFRICAN ETHNICITIES were sent where pls visit this link. It shows everything from North, Central and South America, even West Indies.

Note:The some records are incomplete. Let me complete the puzzle for ya'll.
NORTHERN COLONIES
NY
First slaves were from ANGOLA/CONGO imported imported by DUTCH to NEW AMSTERDAM/NY 1600s.
Then these were later joined by west african groups like MANDES AND AKANS.

VIRGINIA
Was dominated by Biafrans at 38%(some of these were Tivs,Mokos,Hausas,Tikar etc..taken out thru Biafra) and rivals were Senegambia 26.5% and Bantus 20%, then Gold Coast 16%.

SOUTH CAROLINA-GEORGIA
Dominated by Senegambia 43%
Angola-Congo 40%
Then Gold Coast 16%

LOUISIANA
Louisiana was majority SENEGAMBIAN 1719-1760 then replaced by Angola-Congo Bantus onwards 1760-1820.
Senegambia slaves in Louisiana were 30% overall and Bantus 35.6% in 1800s and around 40% in later stages. The process of removal of Mandes by Bantus in Louisiana and South carolina-Georgia is called CONGOLIZATION by Dr Kelvin Roberts in his book.[/b] grin grin grin[/b]
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
ANGOLA BASKETBALL KINGS OF AFRICA. grin grin
Reggie Moore became the 1st African American to represent the COUNTRY OF HIS ANCESTORS MELUNGUENS OF USA. Im told ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS ANGOLA MAKING OBAMA THE 2ND BLACK PRESIDENT OF U.S.A.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Abagworo(m): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2013
kwame tut: [b][b]@Chima

FREE LESSONS ON SLAVERY IN USA.

If u wanna see which AFRICAN ETHNICITIES were sent where pls visit this link. It shows everything from North, Central and South America, even West Indies.

Note:The some records are incomplete. Let me complete the puzzle for ya'll.
NORTHERN COLONIES
NY
First slaves were from ANGOLA/CONGO imported imported by DUTCH to NEW AMSTERDAM/NY 1600s.
Then these were later joined by west african groups like MANDES AND AKANS.

VIRGINIA
Was dominated by Biafrans at 38%(some of these were Tivs,Mokos,Hausas,Tikar etc..taken out thru Biafra) and rivals were Senegambia 26.5% and Bantus 20%, then Gold Coast 16%.

SOUTH CAROLINA-GEORGIA
Dominated by Senegambia 43%
Angola-Congo 40%
Then Gold Coast 16%

LOUISIANA
Louisiana was majority SENEGAMBIAN 1719-1760 then replaced by Angola-Congo Bantus onwards 1760-1820.
Senegambia slaves in Louisiana were 30% overall and Bantus 35.6% in 1800s and around 40% in later stages. The process of removal of Mandes by Bantus in Louisiana and South carolina-Georgia is called CONGOLIZATION by Dr Kelvin Roberts in his book.[/b] grin grin grin[/b]

I don't know your point but as an Igbo from Nigeria, slavery is a chapter in our history which is very regrettable and dealt a blow on us. Igbos till this day are looking for their lost relatives. My grandfather still tells stories passed on by his grandfather on the wickedness of the Europeans and how they connived with some Igbos to sell other Igbos. We lost a lot of family members and were living in fear till the end of slavery.

It is nothing to be proud of or bragged about. Are you sure its not the curse of slavery that is haunting the black man?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:47pm On Sep 04, 2013
VILLAGE OF SPIRITS

To clarify now before I move further, "Bantu" is not an ethnicity but a language group. Originating in the Nok region of Nigeria probably 2,500 years ago, the Bantu were never what is dismissively called a "primitive" culture. Likely by way of Nubia and the Sahel Corridor, presumably ultimately from Egypt, they spread the working of iron and the beauty and complexity of their worldview over rather a large section of Central, South and East Africa from Cameroon to Kenya, from the Cape of Good Hope to Uganda. There are many Bantu languages and many Bantu cultures, and at the same time, they make a fairly coherent whole. They are certainly united around the sacredness of water, and I know of no Bantu culture where water does not play a central role.

[b]Because of his fieldwork in West Africa and among the Dahomean diaspora in Haiti, Herskovits inevitably draws upon his understanding of the way of the water spirits from the sources he lived with. More recent scholarship has shown the overwhelming Bantu shape of African-American culture. It is when one looks at the water spirit tradition through a Bantu lens that the African shape of the black American soul comes into focus.

Before I get to the gist of the matter, let me explain why Bantu culture influenced the culture of the American diaspora to the degree that it has.

I'll begin first with the numbers, the percentages, that mind-numbing and terrifying way that we have come to measure human anguish. Philip D. Curtin estimates that by the end of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, roughly a third of African people lived outside of Africa, making the trade the largest forced migration in human history. About 4.5 percent of these ended up in the American colonies, the United States -- roughly 430,000 people.

A rough estimate is that 40 percent of those sold in the slave ports such as Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia and New Orleans were of Bantu origin. After the trade was made illegal in 1807, the "Congo-Angola region became more and more important because the many channels and small islands at the Congo River's broad mouth made it easier for the slavers to skulk out of sight of patrolling English and American warships," writes Richard Palmer. Well into this century, African-born Bantu speaking ex-slaves still lived in America.

Winifred Vass writes, "For every slave landed alive, others died in intertribal warfare, deliberately instigated for the purpose of raiding, or along the trade route paths worn a meter deep into the earth that I have seen in Zaire. For every slave landed alive, others perished inside the stockades awaiting shipment or in the hold of the ships that made the perilous middle passage across the Atlantic."

After 1700 Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and Mississippi maintained a black majority for over two centuries. Over two hundred Bantu place names in the South give a feel for the extent of the diaspora: Suwanee, Georgia; Loango, Alabama; Tuscawilla, Florida; Kolula Springs, Mississippi; Angola, Louisiana; Zacala, Virginia.

Aside from their numbers, "Bantu speaking slaves from Central Africa," writes Vass, "enjoyed a linguistic unity and ability to communicate with their fellow captives that slaves of West Africa did not share." Michael A. Gomez concurs: "Once removed from the West Central African context and relocated to America, however, the Bantu languages and cultures, their treatment as a single people by their captors, and the need to effect strategies of resistance necessarily encouraged the Congolese-Angolans to see themselves anew and forge ties of community."

These ties of community were further reinforced by the ethnic stereotypes that slaveholders carried about different African peoples. Certain West Africans such as the Mande were thought to make excellent "house negroes." Bantu, it seems, were best fit for working the rice and indigo fields, the short-staple corn and the cotton.

Given their numbers, the commonalities of culture and language and the work that ensured minimal contact with whites, it should not be surprising that the nucleus of black American culture is strongly Bantu. However, there is a final reason, somewhat more complex and rather difficult to state, that ensured a profound and subterranean continuity between Africa and America, and it brings us once again to the mystery of the water spirits.

IN SHORT THOSE WHO STUDIED MUSIC AT UNIVERSITY ABROAD SHOULD KNOW THAT JAZZ AND OTHER AFRO AMERICA MUSIC HAD STRONG BANTU AND MANDE INFLUENCE. Google that as well nigerians.[/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:52pm On Sep 04, 2013
VILLAGE OF SPIRITS
By Dr Micheal Ortiz

http://www.gatheringin.com/moh_waterspirits.html
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kwametut: 2:54pm On Sep 04, 2013
@Abagworo
Thats a STU-PID statement every RACE has been enslaved, even Europeans once enslaved each other. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
kwame tut: Louisiana slave population.
SHOWS BOTH BANTUS AND MANDES DOMINATED.

kwame tut: Igbos were USELESS everywhere. cheesy grin grin grin

Not WANTED IN DEEP SOUTH/LOW COUNTRY U.S.A.
LOUSIANA SLAVE POPULATION
BANTUS AND MANDES DOMINATE AGAIN OOO. grin grin grin

Mr Kwame...you sure have a thing against Igbo people. Your write-ups show you are very biased against the Igbo. Many sources agree that the Igbo people contributed a lot of DNA to the AA population and here you are trying to belittle proven sources.

You have failed to provide us with the links to the sources where you supposedly got your slave trade data from. For what its worth, anybody could open up Microsoft Excel and fabricate any table on african ethnic statistics. Lack of provision of links has helped you fail in proving anything, or your supposed point whatsoever.

I don't need to remind you that your so-called data table are and will continue to be taken with a pinch of salt until you provide sources where you got them from. Other than that, I will deem them as being fabricated.

And explain to me why you should be discussing slave trade issues and propagating your anti-Igbo sentiments on a thread that asked for dating advice?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Lol at 2% grin

grin

Lol. I think we diasporans need to start learning more about our angolan/kongolese ancestry. I have always stated that we ignore central african contributions to our heritage. The fighter spirit in us all over the diaspora was largely inherited by our central african (and akan from ghana) ancestry. Most (notice I said most...not all) of the rebellious slaves throughout continental north america, central, south and the caribbean came from those parts.

Yet we still fail to give them (OUR ANCESTORS...) the credit they deserve.

All in all, you have done an Excellent job kwame tut.

wink I will save those graphs/charts for future reference.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2013
kwame tut: @Chima
Afro Americans descend mainly from MANDE/Senegambians and BANTUS/Angola-Congo, to a lesser extent AKAN, then Baifrans incl. Bantus from Cameroons and Cross rivers.

I believe this.

another nlder and hstar did good jobs showing the senegambian influence and you did with the bantu. smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 04, 2013
And I LOVE how you showed bight of biafra doesn NOT mean only igbo. It also included tribes native to cameroon and other eastern nigerian ppls.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
*Kails*:

grin

Lol. I think we diasporans need to start learning more about our angolan/kongolese ancestry. I have always stated that we ignore central african contributions to our heritage. The fighter spirit in us all over the diaspora was largely inherited by our central african (and akan from ghana) ancestry. Most (notice I said most...not all) of the rebellious slaves throughout continental north america, central, south and the caribbean came from those parts.

Yet we still fail to give them (OUR ANCESTORS...) the credit they deserve.

All in all, you have done an Excellent job kwame tut.

wink I will save those graphs/charts for future reference.

Exactly, without asking for proper references and sources because it suits your ego. You'd rather have fake statistics that supports your beliefs than acknowledge other truths.

Hey! You don't even need to save those images when you could easily create yours. Rush and open microsoft excel immediately, draw up excellent charts for yourself and give Biafra 0.01%. 2% is even too much. I'm surprised Kwame even put Biafra in his fabrication. You could as well, omit Biafra totally out of your charts.wink Mission achieved! grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 04, 2013
Was I talking to you? Or kwame tut?

I dont think I uttered...or shall I say typed anything to you.
Please fly off somewhere.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 04, 2013
*copies the genetic chart*

Thanks again kwame smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:47pm On Sep 04, 2013
*Kails*:
Was I talking to you? Or kwame tut?

I dont think I uttered...or shall I say typed anything to you.
Please fly off somewhere.

grin grin. Copy the fake charts and keep brandishing them without backup sources. That goes a long way further to show that you're not a genuine person and you'd rather propagate lies using fake made-up charts to propel your beliefs.

Up African Americans! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
ytf do you care about what we accept as truth?
What does any of this have to do with you??

Am I missing something here?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 04, 2013
Abagworo:

I don't know your point but as an Igbo from Nigeria, slavery is a chapter in our history which is very regrettable and dealt a blow on us. Igbos till this day are looking for their lost relatives. My grandfather still tells stories passed on by his grandfather on the wickedness of the Europeans and how they connived with some Igbos to sell other Igbos. We lost a lot of family members and were living in fear till the end of slavery.

It is nothing to be proud of or bragged about. Are you sure its not the curse of slavery that is haunting the black man?

Lol.@ the bolded.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 11:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
*Kails*:
ytf do you care about what we accept as truth?
What does any of this have to do with you??

Am I missing something here?

Why shouldn't I care, ma'am? Should lies be propagated instead to massage the egos of people who want to hear it? The truth should always prevail.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
One_Naira: Whenever I see Nigerians or any other African throwing jabs at AA or vice versa, I simply laugh.

It is like a kettle pointing at a pot and calling him black.

ROFLMFAO @ some people.

Gbam.

thank you cool
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 04, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Why shouldn't I care, ma'am? Should lies be propagated instead to massage the egos of people who want to hear it? The truth should always prevail.

The point is it has nothing to do with youI

You do not determine what is fact or fiction because you want to spread this propaganda that we are mostly igbo. We have gone through toooo many times.

The fact of the matter is this Igbos were sent in large bulk to the new world but many...im sorry...MOST died at sea due to murder, drowning, poor health or they committed suicide. Like the kru ppl of liberia, igbos were known to be suicidal.

Majority of the bodies STILL at the bottom of the atlantic (or what is left of them) are ppl who look like you who were sold by ppl looked like them. OK? Now scram.

Thats some igbo truth for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.