Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) (26413 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Onepeople: 10:11am On Mar 22, 2021
Iegendhero:

I think this Nobel prize really dealt with the psyche of you guys.

You can’t fight destiny. Achebe was a legend on his own but he never won the Nobel prize in literature.

That is a truth that will live forever and no matter how much envy and pain people like you voice out against Prof. Soyinka, truth cannot be changed!
stop taking the opinion of that idiot seriously,mostly of this idiot have no business with the igbo tribe ,all they do is to create division among southern region.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Onepeople: 10:13am On Mar 22, 2021
Beremx:
This is not necessary. Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka are not enemies so don’t make them one. Both men are legends
you they mind the foolish idiot, all he does is to spew hate all the time.
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by lastempero: 10:20am On Mar 22, 2021
One of a kind!!!
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by firstratedcitiz(m): 10:21am On Mar 22, 2021
"Unless the penis dies young, it will surely eat bearded meat."

"We often stand in the compound of the coward to point at the ruins where a brave man once lived."

"Among the Ibo the art of conversation is highly regarded, and proverbs are the palm oil with which words are eaten."

Some of Chinua Achebe's words taken from his two greatest books, Things Fall Apart and Arrow of God. I doled my cap off for this great literary giant after reading his first novel at Secondary School. This man had a peculiar way he formed his words.

I love Wole Soyinka too but I'd always pick Achebe first. Unlike Soyinka, Achebe would not bother with grandiloquence, that is use of high-sounding words. His novels are all written in plain and simple English but always often punctuated with anecdotes, proverbs, idioms in a very unique African form. That's Chinua Achebe for you.

Reading Soyinka's books requires a bit of work on its own and one would need a dictionary to proceed along the pages. With Achebe, however, you wouldn't bother with the dictionary. The words in his novels all come off neat and easy, like a hot knife slicing through thick butter.

May his soul rest in peace.

9 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by prodev9993: 10:22am On Mar 22, 2021
Rest on Legend
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by MufasaLion: 10:22am On Mar 22, 2021
Onepeople:
stop taking the opinion of that idiot seriously,mostly of this idiot have no business with the igbo tribe ,all they do is to create division among southern region.

Exactly!.
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Nmezor(f): 10:28am On Mar 22, 2021
Rest on Sir Chinualumogu Achebe.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Ghozky(m): 10:31am On Mar 22, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Happy birthday

Niggarrr, u don high dis early momo
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by OyinO: 10:32am On Mar 22, 2021
China Achebe robbed of his Nobel Laureate award because he exposed the Western imperialism elements and forces in his THINGS FALL APART BLOCKBUSTER. Rest in Power and Return in Power.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by BSdetector: 10:42am On Mar 22, 2021
The chief propagandist and history revisionist himself. Good riddance.
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by eveninnewspaper: 10:50am On Mar 22, 2021
Her father's daughter.
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by PataAlhajaKeji(m): 10:53am On Mar 22, 2021
Achebe's best work remains "Things Fall Apart" ... a very good novel. His other works ain't too fantastic.

The Nobel prize is given to literary works with depths and esotericity. Achebe's work ain't deep and esoteric. Why do you think great Novelists like Dan Brown, Frederick Forsyth, John Grisham aren't considered for the Nobel prize?

Soyinka had an array of excellent, deep and complex works. Try reading "Death and the King's Horseman" and "The trials of Brother Jero". I'm sure you'll drop it after the first page. grin

Achebe's strongest forte was Prose while Soyinka was an all-rounder. A Dramatist, a Poet and a Novelist extraordinaire.

Juliusmalema:
It's been long.

Winning Nobel prize doesn't make one the Jagaban of African Literature.....

This man really knows how to play with words...

Continue Resting in the bosom of our Lord.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Tabbaz(m): 11:02am On Mar 22, 2021
The world will never forget you. Legend!
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 22, 2021
PataAlhajaKeji:
Achebe's best work remains "Things Fall Apart" ... a very good novel. His other works ain't too fantastic.

The Nobel prize is given to literary works with depths and esotericity. Achebe's work ain't deep and esoteric. Why do you think great Novelists like Dan Brown, Frederick Forsyth, John Grisham aren't considered for the Nobel prize?

Soyinka had an array of excellent, deep and complex works. Try reading "Death and the King's Horseman" and "The trials of Brother Jero". I'm sure you'll drop it after the first page. grin

Achebe's strongest forte was Prose while Soyinka was an all-rounder. A Dramatist, a Poet and a Novelist extraordinaire.

Go and look yourself at the mirror then come back. Then laugh again in pain.

All these sermon Just to explain Darkness to men...and 55 pages of drama..

Inferiority complex.

next.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by iddonla: 11:13am On Mar 22, 2021
Onepeople:

u are very correct
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by PataAlhajaKeji(m): 11:20am On Mar 22, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Go and look yourself at the mirror then come back. Then laugh again in pain.

All these sermon Just to explain Darkness to men...and 55 pages of drama..

Inferiority complex.

next.

Werey! grin

I thought I was conversing with a normal person.

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 22, 2021
PataAlhajaKeji:

Werey! grin

I thought I was conversing with a normal person.

Chinua Achebe is true to his pen while Soyinka is more of politics.

How many countries of the world reads Soyinka novel meant for Drunkards and people living in other planets.

How many languages has his Jargons of a novel been translated to?

White beards is not a definition of intellect. Soyinka is good in cult related activities.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Arinze624: 11:26am On Mar 22, 2021
Ọdọgwụ Nwoke,,
Ka mkpụrụ obi Sir Chinua Achebe zuru ike na ndukwa, Iseeeeee.

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Bloggersp: 11:31am On Mar 22, 2021
All this tribal folks comparing Achebe to Soyinka should have a re-think The last time i checked the former is not among africa's top 10 writers >:
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by BSdetector: 11:46am On Mar 22, 2021
Juliusmalema:

Chinua Achebe is true to his pen while Soyinka is more of politics.

How many countries of the world reads Soyinka novel meant for Drunkards and people living in other planets.

How many languages has his Jargons of a novel been translated to?

White beards is not a definition of intellect. Soyinka is good in cult related activities.

As far as we're concerned igbos will always come second to Yoruba's. Achebe was a mediocre writer whose over glorified works were only read by his clannish kinsmen, apart from writing a few books he ran off abroad like all Igbo men do offering no real value to his homeland politically or socially.

Soyinka wasn't just a writer but a revolutionist both literally and politically who rubbed shoulders with the likes of Fidel casto, he was a man with balls who slept in jail because of his beliefs, even after winning the noble prize he continued with his activism, even to this day in his old age Soyinka is still active in the affairs of Yoruba land and proved a vocal supporter of Amotekun....comparing him to a failed history revisionist who died a vegetable in a wheelchair is a crime against humanity.

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by capatainrambo: 11:49am On Mar 22, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr

Happy birthday
lol òde it's not his birthday grin
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by PoliteActivist: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2021
Deborah98:
Legends don't die....
He's just resting..

He is physically Dead, but immortal in other ways
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by JJBROS(m): 11:58am On Mar 22, 2021
The Jagaban and Ogbufie of literature
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2021
BSdetector:

As far as we're concerned igbos will always come second to Yoruba's. Achebe was a mediocre writer whose over glorified works were only read by his clannish kinsmen, apart from writing a few books he ran off abroad like all Igbo men do offering no real value to his homeland politically or socially.

Soyinka wasn't just a writer but a revolutionist both literally and politically who rubbed shoulders with the likes of Fidel casto, he was a man with balls who slept in jail because of his beliefs, even after winning the noble prize he continued with his activism, even to this day in his old age Soyinka is still active in the affairs of Yoruba land and proved a vocal supporter of Amotekun....comparing him to a failed history revisionist who died a vegetable in a wheelchair is a crime against humanity.

Fave Kwara state and solve your hijsb crises.

next.

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by VULCAN(m): 12:25pm On Mar 22, 2021
While the work of your beloved Buhari has promoted peace and stability among Nigerians abi?

Mtscheww

Resurrection212:
I'm not sure if this man will ever rest well. He work not promote peace and stability among Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by jayworld15(m): 12:36pm On Mar 22, 2021
Iegendhero:

You can’t fight destiny. Achebe was a legend on his own but he never won the Nobel prize in literature.

That is a truth that will live forever and no matter how much envy and pain people like you voice out against Prof. Soyinka, truth cannot be changed!

The greatest novelist of all time, Leo Tolstoy was never given any Nobel prize. He is considered to be the greatest and his work Ana Karenina is considered by many as the greatest work of literature. I appreciate awards but they’re don’t overtly determine one’ s true greatness. Award is just one piece among many that determine it.

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by Bryan88(m): 12:36pm On Mar 22, 2021
Ogidi nwelu mmadu!!! RIP Legend

1 Like

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by plot697: 12:37pm On Mar 22, 2021
Rest in peace, legend of African literature
Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by JastSiryin(m): 1:58pm On Mar 22, 2021
Iegendhero:

I've got nothing against them both and strongly believe this shouldn't even be a subject of discussion.

There are many great authors and playwrights who never won a peace prize.

The area of art is very subjective. They're both great men in their own right. Their works speak for themselves.

I've hardly seen anyone raise this argument without having a bigoted intention. It's really sad. We really have issues

2 Likes

Re: Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) by BLoomfrancs(m): 2:17pm On Mar 22, 2021
PataAlhajaKeji:

I read those boring reads and there aint nothing special in them. He won the Nobel prize because of his leaning as an activist and one who exalted the western civilization and modernization over traditional African values.

Chinua Achebe on the flip side was going to win the prize if not for his sharp criticism of Conrad's work the "Heart of Darkness". Nobody is complaining about some award. Till date, Achebe is the most celebrated literary icon in Africa.

Avail yourself of the knowledge of what I just said and go read Chinua Achebe's criticism of that racist bullhead called Conrad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Diary Of A Stingy Sex Addict / Soyinka Risks Jail Term If He Cuts The Green Card: Legal Expert / A Critical Background Of Lonely Days By Bayo Adebowale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.