Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,340 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:23 AM

Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP (28483 Views)

Satumari: North-East Will Vote For Northern Presidential Candidate / APC May Re-open Sale Of Forms To Allow More Northern Presidential Hopefuls / Charles Idahosa: Oshiomhole Wants To Be VP To A Northern Presidential Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by bolaayenimo: 6:54am On Mar 22, 2021
Temidayo Akinsuyi

LAGOS – Indications emerged on Sunday that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will adopt the report of its commit­tee set up to review why the party lost in the 2019 presidential election and recommend solutions on how the party would return to power in 2023.

The 14-member committee, head­ed by Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State, had recommended that the presidential ticket of the party be thrown open to all regions instead of resorting to a zoning arrangement, a position which has greatly angered Southern stakeholders in the party.

But speaking in a chat with Daily Independent, a chieftain of the party who is a member of the Board of Trustees (BoT), said the party would adopt the committee’s report as there is “a great likelihood that majority of PDP stakeholders want the ticket to be zoned to the North­ern part of the country”. ­

According to him, in the spirit of justice, equity and fair play, it would be unfair to consider the South again for the ticket having spent over 13 years out of PDP’s 16-year reign in power.

“The committee has done its job and it is left for the stakeholders to look at the recommendations they have made dispassionately and come up with a position, but I can tell you with certainty that the report will be adopt­ed.

“They are arguing that rotational presidency is the way to go based on the ar­rangement of the party’s constitution.Fair enough, yes, but cur­rent circumstances will not make that possible because that arrangement was altered in 2010 during the Yar’Adua presidency.

“Now, the PDP, before we were pushed out in 2015, has spent 16 years in power. Of the 16 years, the South used 13 years and some days. Former President Uma­ru Musa Yar’Adua, who took the Northern slot in 2007, only spent two years and 25 days before his demise.

“His deputy, Goodluck Jonathan, from the Southern part of the country, completed their tenure and had another four years (which Yar’Adua may have gotten if he had contested for a second term).

“With that, the South used 13 years and some days out of the PDP’s 16 years’ reign. So, with this explanation, on what grounds will the PDP zone it to the South again? Logic demands that it goes to the North. Which re­gion produced the last presi­dent and presidential candi­date under the PDP before the party lost power? We all know it was the South. That means, it should go back to the North if it is on the strength of fairness that some Southern stakeholders are canvassing.”

Also speaking, a member of the party’s National Work­ing Committee (NWC), who asked not to be named, said for strategic reasons, the PDP may need to field a Northern presidential candidate if it is serious about returning to power in 2023.

He, however, said rather than excluding any region, the party may adopt the com­mittee’s report by throwing open the ticket to all aspirants from all parts of the country so that the best among them will emerge as the flag bearer of the party.

“I believe that for strategy reasons, the PDP cannot af­ford to push the presidency to the South if, indeed, we are serious about returning to power.

“If the ruling party zones to the South and PDP does the same, the reality is that the APC will emerge victorious because they already have the edge as the ruling party.

“If the PDP fields a North­ern presidential candidate and the APC fields a south­erner, the PDP will have the advantage because the North has the voting strength and all other indices that count during elections. The belief is even that if the PDP fields a Northern presidential candidate, the APC members from the North will support him.

“We all know what hap­pened in 2015 when the APC fielded President Muham­madu Buhari and some PDP members from the North sup­ported and worked for him in the background. The PDP is looking for strategic reasons to win the 2023 presidential election and, by so doing, we can’t afford to zone to the South.

“But for fairness, we won’t exclude any region, and that is why the committee has de­cided to leave it open.If a popular Southerner wins the primary, then good luck to him, we will all sup­port him.

“The issue is that the Southern PDP members know that they stand no chance in the open competi­tion and that is why they are insisting on zoning so that no Northerner will compete for the ticket with them. All they want is to have it on a platter of gold. I doubt if that will happen.”

Rivers State governor, Nye­som Wike, at the weekend said if zoning the PDP presidential ticket to the North will cause the party to win the 2023 gen­eral election, he would sup­port the decision.

The governor, who shared this view during an inter­view with BBC Pidgin at the Government House, Port Harcourt, explained that the reason why the PDP had not taken a final decision on whether its presidential can­didate for the 2023 general election should be from the North or South of the country is because stakeholders are still strategizing on the best options that would guarantee the party’s victory in the polls.

He stated that the PDP was keen to take over power in 2023 and was not in a hurry to give the ruling APC a glimpse of its strategy to wrest pow­er from it in the next general election.

“I am from the Southern part of Nigeria. I will be hap­py if power returns to the South, but if PDP will win the 2023 presidential election by zoning the presidential ticket to the North, I will not be op­posed to it,” Wike said.

https://www.independent.ng/why-we-prefer-northern-presidential-candidate-in-2023-pdp/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Monogamy: 6:55am On Mar 22, 2021
grin

Life is indeed unfair... Baboon dey work, monkey dey chop

126 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Nwodosis(m): 6:56am On Mar 22, 2021
For me, the constitution should be amended for Buhari to continue with third term until all understand the agenda of the Fulanis.

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Nobody: 6:57am On Mar 22, 2021
Useless Fifil

3 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by MajesticKris: 6:57am On Mar 22, 2021
That's if Nigerians remain speechless...
You guy's think we are fools Bahh...

No wahala we are waiting for that 2023...

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by juvewalex(m): 6:57am On Mar 22, 2021
Useless people.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:02am On Mar 22, 2021
Head or Tail...That IPOB and Secessionist Party Called The PDP Will Never Win Any General Election..

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:02am On Mar 22, 2021
MajesticKris:
That's if Nigerians remain speechless...
You guy's think we are fools Bahh...

No wahala we are waiting for that 2023...

Bros Nigerians would accept anything,
If you are not ready to FIGHT then accept slavery in good faith,
The foolish people waiting for 2023 would be soooo disappointed because they won't get more than VP position,
The Fulanis desperately need to be president in 2023 so as to consolidate on all the lands they grabbed during Buhari's regime!
How seemingly educated people can't see it is amazing to me

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by IPOBTERRORISTS(f): 7:14am On Mar 22, 2021
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Formularcr7: 7:15am On Mar 22, 2021
Asiwaju 2023

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Cooldiipo(m): 7:15am On Mar 22, 2021
smiley politics is a game of number, the north can continue to rule forever because they are the majority according to the books; but may i appeal to them to never give us anybody in the mold of Buhari. I for one knows you have brilliant mind, i have read about many amazing northerner who are outstanding and progressive. Don't just send them to waste away at NNPC, CBN and come. Do you need external battery and powerbank for laptops, phones etc. Ten hours plus guaranteed and twenty four hours of usage very possible! Recommend to your friends.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by wwwihy: 7:22am On Mar 22, 2021
“The issue is that the Southern PDP members know that they stand no chance in the open competi­tion and that is why they are insisting on zoning so that no Northerner will compete for the ticket with them. All they want is to have it on a platter of gold. I doubt if that will happen.”

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by illicit(m): 7:23am On Mar 22, 2021
I never sure the one wey I go support self....
Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by AsomughaChuks02: 7:25am On Mar 22, 2021
They want to give the ticket to Atiku. Even northern minorities including kanuris will not vote for a fulani man again talk more of the south. PDP is really underestimating their own foolishness.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by princemillla(m): 7:33am On Mar 22, 2021
Pdp will not smell the gate of aso rock let alone win. People are even looking at them like messiah come 2023 but with this show of poor tactics and reasoning it shows they r not ready to even run head to head with apc

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by IgweOfNnewi: 7:34am On Mar 22, 2021
Igbos come and listen

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Nobody: 7:36am On Mar 22, 2021
Previously, as a Yoruba APC supporter who assumed Northerners are honorable, I would have said it is a PDP matter that does not concern me. With what APC is doing too I am now convinced it is really not about dedication to political Party for Northerners.

It is about holding on to power and thus control of Nigeria. The Behaviour of Buhari and other Northerners in the APC shows they are not honorable, just and equitable. They have no enduring commitment to the Party beyond what they want to use it to achieve.

Every Southerner should key into the idea of Nigeria separating. We should go our separate way than for a Northerner to lead Nigeria a day after Buhari's tenure ends.

Let us separate and renegotiate how we will all interact socio-economically in future as it appears that is the only way the North will be put in it's place so it it does not continue to drag all of us towards total paralysis or failure it is fast heading towards.

110 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Rugaria: 7:38am On Mar 22, 2021
All these will lead to a split. Those who want to govern perpetually will then have their countries to govern non stop. Any spurious attempt to get the north, under any guise to continue post 2023 is nothing but a laughable attempt at internal colonialism..

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Monogamy: 7:49am On Mar 22, 2021
Rugaria:
All these will lead to a split. Those who want to govern perpetually will then have their countries to govern non stop. Any spurious attempt to get the north, under any guise to continue post 2023 is nothing but a laughable attempt at internal colonialism..

Are you giving all this threats to your darling party, Pdp?

grin

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by wwwihy: 7:53am On Mar 22, 2021
OneTemplate:
Previously, as a Yoruba APC supporter who assumed Northerners are honorable, I would have said it is a PDP matter that does not concern me. With what APC is doing too I am now convinced it is really not about dedication to political Party for Northerners.

It is about holding on to power and thus control of Nigeria. The Behaviour of Buhari and other Northerners in the APC shows they are not honorable, just and equitable. They have no enduring commitment to the Party beyond what they want to use it to achieve.

Every Southerner should key into the idea of Nigeria separating. We should go our separate way than for a Northerner to lead Nigeria a day after Buhari's tenure ends.

Let us separate and renegotiate how we will all interact socio-economically in future as it appears that is the only way the North will be put in it's place so it it does not continue to drag all of us towards total paralysis or failure it is fast heading towards.
Forget about APC , the topic here is PDP .... Don't rub it in....

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 22, 2021
Rugaria:

Absolutely. Regardless of problems groups in the South have with each other, the thinking "let North rule forever rather than this region have it" is not tenable as it surely means the death and destruction of us all. Nigeria is going down fast and ensuring the South is as troubled as the North, eventually, will surely be the plans of some Northern leaders. They are wicked like that and are the same people sponsoring terrorism, death, banditry and mass kidnapping against their own people and children.

In case some Southerners are ignorant of the development, the USA has just warned us they ISIS and AL Qaeda are planning to terrorize Southern Nigeria. Ordinarily this news would not cripple the mind, as there are ways Nigeria can protect herself, but under this government or any other Northern one we are all toast if ISIS and ALQaeda have evil designs on the South.

If only for the sake of self-preservation, and not even principle, all Southerners should vehemently stand against any plans for a Northern Presidency in 2023.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Rugaria: 7:56am On Mar 22, 2021
Monogamy:

Are you giving all this threats to your darling party, Pdp?

grin

I never told you PDP is my darling party. I can't remember Igbos appropriating PDP as their darling party the same way you guys in the west did with APC. Not even APGA.
You are just projecting your fanciful wishes on me. PDP rigs elections in the east. Every easterner will tell you this. It's always a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea during elections. In 2015, it was a choice between a not so perfect PDP candidate in Goodluck Jonathan and a very tribal and radically polarizing candidate of the APC in Buhari.. For the discerning, it was an easy call! The East went with the devil the whole country already knows.. You chose your fulani messiah in the west. . With the benefit of hindsight, we all know who made the right call.... Yet, you will still taunt to no end. That's so unfortunate...

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Nobody: 8:01am On Mar 22, 2021
wwwihy:

Forget about APC , the topic here is PDP .... Don't rub it in....

Guy, see the big picture for once. Too much fire on the mountain, moving downward rapidly, for this mischief from anyone who is from the South.

Many events of late should show southerners it is not about PDP or APC for Northerners. It is about holding on to power any way possible to continue their regressive domination of Nigeria.

If we Southerners do not begin having the same outlook of focusing on the overall survivalist picture , and continue bickering about APC or PDP, then North will get away with their plans and it is eight more years of misery, death and backwardness for us all.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Monogamy: 8:02am On Mar 22, 2021
Rugaria:

I never told you PDP is my darling party. I can't remember Igbos appropriating PDP as their darling party the same way you guys in the west did with APC. Not even APGA.
You are just projecting your fanciful wishes on me. PDP rigs elections in the east. Every easterner will tell you this. It's always a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea during elections. In 2015, it was a choice between a not so perfect PDP candidate in Goodluck Jonathan and a very tribal and radically polarizing candidate of the APC in Buhari.. For the discerning, it was an easy call! The East went with the devil the whole country already knows.. You chose your fulani messiah in the west. . With the benefit of hindsight, we all know who made the right call.... Yet, you will still taunt to no end. That's so unfortunate...

I can't remember Igbos appropriating PDP as their darling party

Hahahahahaha... How did Pdp get all the votes they have been getting during presidential election with such high %? Why keep on rigging for party that do not have your interest at heart

Since 1999, 95% of SE states have been governed by Pdp governors..

What quickly went wrong with this denial?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Rugaria: 8:08am On Mar 22, 2021
OneTemplate:

Absolutely. Regardless of problems groups in the South have with each other, the thinking "let North rule forever rather than this region have it" is not tenable as it surely means the death and destruction of us all. Nigeria is going down fast and ensuring the South is as troubled as the North, eventually, will surely be the plans of some Northern leaders. They are wicked like that and are the same people sponsoring terrorism, death, banditry and mass kidnapping against their own people and children.

In case some Southerners are ignorant of the development, the USA has just warned us they ISIS and AL Qaeda are planning to terrorize Southern Nigeria. Ordinarily this news would not cripple the mind, as there are ways Nigeria can protect herself, but under this government or any other Northern one we are all toast if ISIS and ALQaeda have evil designs in the South.

If only for the sake of self-preservation, and not even principle, all Southerners should vehemently stand against any plans for a Northern Presidency in 2023.

Looking at it from another angle, I will say that for you to get the kind of consensus needed to uproot the suffocating fulani hegemony in Nigerias politics, this kind of daredevil political event needs to happen! Maybe folks need to be insulted before they resolve to push back.. The devide and rule tactics employed by the northerners in the past worked because they were very good at slicing the country into different portions and then going further to dangle some carrots for some while employing scorched earth policies for others. What is about to happen with this attempt to hyjack power for ever is that the whole south and maybe the North Central too will be put under the firing line.. It may help to rouse the collective dignity of those sections that were always okay with limited benefits handed to them by the northerners in the past... And if everyone down south decides that "enough is enough", this insulting attempt at fulani domination will be brought to it's knees quite quicker than most of us think..

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Rugaria: 8:13am On Mar 22, 2021
Monogamy:

Hahahahahaha... How did Pdp get all the votes they have been getting during presidential election with such high %?

Since 1999, 95% of SE states have been governed by Pdp governors..

What quickly went wrong with this denial?

Which party should they have voted for in 1999? Your Yoruba party, the AD? How many Igbos have you Yorubas voted for in a presidential election since the inception of Nigeria? Should we be perenially be voting for you while you find it convinient to find excuses to avoid voting for any igbo candidate? You guys framed Jonathan as an igboman in order to assemble enough base hate against the poor guy! Why is it a taboo for you to vote an Igbo since1960 and why do you sound so frustrated that they attempted to reciprocate that gesture!?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by wwwihy: 8:14am On Mar 22, 2021
Gov Umahi is being proving right.....day by day

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by celeiyke: 8:16am On Mar 22, 2021
We say No to another northerner

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Cosbyrich: 8:20am On Mar 22, 2021
lol

The only thing North wants to cling to is 'power' which their incapacity cannot manage.
When you put a dull individual up there to rule you and he brings in lots and lots of dullies like him from his tribe and put them in strategic positions.
The capacity to move those institutions forward for growth is absent, so they begin chop and clean mouths even the capable ones from other tribes who are under will,of course,eat and clean mouths with them.
So the cycle continues.Help! Help!Help!
Some intelligent mumus who have been brainwashed with cow meats will still die to bring back failures.North cannot give what they do not have.

By the grace of the Almighty,there will not be anything called Nigeria in 2023.

There will be .....
Yoruba nation.
Igbo nation.
Hausa nation

And everybody will live happily ever after according to their desires.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by Monogamy: 8:21am On Mar 22, 2021
Rugaria:

Which party should they have voted for in 1999? Your Yoruba party, the AD? How many Igbos have you Yorubas voted for in a presidential election since the inception of Nigeria? Should we be perenially be voting for you while you find it convinient to find excuses to avoid voting for any igbo candidate? You guys framed Jonathan as an igboman in order to assemble enough base hate against the poor guy! Why is it a taboo for you to vote an Igbo since1960 and why do sound do frustrated that they attempted to reciprocate that gesture!?

How many Igbos have you Yorubas voted for in a presidential election since the inception of Nigeria?

Ojukwu,the Biafra hero that contested for presidential election, how many votes did he get from SE region?

How many credible and acceptable candidates have SE region presented during the election circle?

Perhaps, 2011 did not exist in you guys calendar when the Yoruba people rallied around for GEJ to win his first official term.

And btw, if you guys didn't fit deem to support and vote for presidential candidates from your region, SE, how do you expect others to do same?

Are Moghalu, Oby Ekwezile Kanuri?

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by wwwihy: 8:21am On Mar 22, 2021
OneTemplate:

Guy, see the big picture for once. Too much fire on the mountain, moving downward rapidly, for this mischief from anyone who is from the South.

Many events of late should show southerners it is not about PDP or APC for Northerners. It is about holding on to power any way possible to continue their regressive domination of Nigeria.

If we Southerners do not begin having the same outlook of focusing on the overall survivalist picture , and continue bickering about APC or PDP, then North will get away with their plans and it is eight more years of misery, death and backwardness for us all.
Bros forget all those noise...they are the making of opposition, media and politicians that loose out from the power equation. We know there are challenges of insecurity but the most favoured Region in Nigeria in terms of development under Buhari is South West. What South West is getting under Buhari, we never had 10% of it under Obasanjo....

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Prefer Northern Presidential Candidate In 2023 — PDP by SweetiliciousD: 8:22am On Mar 22, 2021
NgeneUkwenu:
Head or Tail...That IPOB and Secessionist Party Called The PDP Will Never Win Any General Election..

Lol. I know you are working so hard to defend your pay per post allowance. Continuuuuuuu.

Ọ ga-eme gị fuum n'anya!!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Off To Private London Visit After Paris Summit / Boko Haram Overpoweres Soldiers In Maiduguri Raid / Kashim Shettima Rocks Tinubu Style Cap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.