Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,371 members, 7,800,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu (5474 Views)

Ikem ​bridge Collapses And Cuts Off Enugu, Benue, Ebonyi Communities (Photos) / 34-year-old Enugu-ebonyi Bridge Collapses / Gov. Obi Launches N300m Road Project In Onitsha. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 3:36am On Jul 09, 2007
This is appalling, how can a bridge that was commission in April cave in in less than 6 months? Somebody has to be held accountable for this mischievous act,

A bridge constructed at the cost of about N300m by the administration of former Governor of Enugu State, Dr. Chimaroke Nnamani, has collapsed.

The bridge built over the Nyaba River was a link to Amaechi, the home town of the former Senate president, Ken Nnamani.

The bridge inaugurated by former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, was built by Marlum Construction Company, a firm in which the ex-governor was said to have substantial interes

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200707091485126
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by naijaway(m): 4:21am On Jul 09, 2007
Unbelieveable, I hope the government probes this and really punishes the perpertuators for a long time.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by GNature(m): 5:14am On Jul 09, 2007
Well, when the foreign contractors are patronized, people criticize the govt for not using local contractors, but when the local ones are used, this is what happens.

The contractors should be mobilized to site and asked to repair or build another bridge with no cost to the government. Period.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 10:56am On Jul 09, 2007
Na wa o! when would we stop cutting corners in this naija?!
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 1:58pm On Jul 09, 2007
This is why I keep saying corruption is deeper than people can realize in Nigeria. This is a multi million dollar contract. and people used cheap labor and material to complete a job that is not safe for society. Someone should be prosecuted for this mess if YAR ADUA want to be in the great books of Nigerians.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2007
Absolutely. building a replacement for free is not adequate the culprits should be punished as a deterrent to others.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Mamajama(m): 2:03pm On Jul 09, 2007
I can guarantee you who ever awarded the contract got a FAT kickback and this is the result of kickbacks and bribery in Nigeria. Thank God no casualties were involved in the colapse
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by ono(m): 2:05pm On Jul 09, 2007
If na Alams award the contract now, and de thing come break yakata like this one, them go say na Naija Delta people with their wahala.

We they watch una.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 2:05pm On Jul 09, 2007
Tell me about it.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 2:27pm On Jul 09, 2007
Julius Berger dey build bridge je-je, Nigerians say no dem must give local engineering firm.

Julius Berger has seen the best roads all over the world. The best roads these local construction firms have seen are the best in Nigeria built by Julius Berger. Then some people will say building bridge is like planting maize.

Anyway, I have said it. Once I enter government, foreign ministers, foreign companies, I say even foreign traditional rulers.

Only those Nigerians like Emeagwali that have gone proven themselves in the world stage can have a say in this country. Mediocrity based on catchement area must stop. It must stop for us to move forward.

Somebody has to spend a long time in jail, and somebody else has to be sacked from the Standards organization of Nigeria.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by otokx(m): 3:30pm On Jul 09, 2007
Spending time in Jail Ke? The government has to recover the money as its a failed project.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 3:49pm On Jul 09, 2007
The government should recover the money, even if it means liquidating the company. But still someone has to go to jail.

And someone has to lose their job at SON.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Backslider(m): 4:20pm On Jul 09, 2007
We should make our universities to set up construction companies. This is a double edge solution.

Example Unilag construction company. The students will be paid a stippen and they will have on the job training.

we have to use our youths to work. This Ajebutter go to school and learn sit in the office should stop. Education should not be a class thing.

We see that corruption will be rife because we don't know our right. The money released for a Project to company registered must be used aright when it not done we should prosecute that person(s). If you add tribe race or any other thing you forming another evil. After all this people never thought of their race or tribe when the were doing the shoddy work
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 6:23pm On Jul 09, 2007
All these people setting up construction companies should first pass through a 3 year course at Julius Berger before their company can be licensed.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by rookie(m): 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2007
Anyway, I have said it. Once I enter government, foreign ministers, foreign companies, I say even foreign traditional rulers.

-- Denex

On the real, give up drugs,  they kill brain cells
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 7:58pm On Jul 09, 2007
@rookie

you have not seen anything yet. Any job opportunity will be awarded to the most experienced and qualified applicant. If at all an Indian spiritualist proves himself more efficient, I will sack a local Ifa Priest and give him the job!
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Oracle(m): 8:10pm On Jul 09, 2007
This is old news.
The Bridge collapsed a long time ago after a heavy downpour.
I normally visit Agbani and i've seen the collapsed bridge.
Although we've been warned to never ply that route

Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 09, 2007
denex:

Only those Nigerians like Emeagwali that have gone proven themselves in the world stage can have a say in this country. Mediocrity based on catchement area must stop. It must stop for us to move forward.

This is further proof that you really are a very ignorant individual sorry to say. Where did Emeagwali prove himself and which world stage? The world you created for urself?
Learn to research before flying to appear smart, here is one more example.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Maleeq(m): 8:41pm On Jul 09, 2007
denex:

If at all an Indian spiritualist proves himself more efficient, I will sack a local Ifa Priest and give him the job!
Very funny!

I used to ply that route while I was in Enugu. The bridge seemed strong enough to last, unshaken for ages. Guess I was so wrong.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by denex: 8:46pm On Jul 09, 2007
Some kain mumu people dey look for attention.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Ifeniyi22(m): 9:26pm On Jul 09, 2007
na wah ooo shocked
300 million Naira down the drain angry
somebody has to pay, the era of nothing will happen MUST end.If the allegation that the ex-governor has vested interest in the construction company is true, then this will be a litmus test for Yar'adua's govt
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 09, 2007
Bridges,buildings collapsing like no mans business.
I hope no one was hurt.
all those theoretical Engineers we have in Nigeria coupled with our culture of cutting corners.

They need to clearly mark the bridges built by local engineers with neon signs
so that those of us who are not ready yet to meet our maker will make a U turn and find an alternate route.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by MP007(m): 9:59pm On Jul 09, 2007
so?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 09, 2007
Why would nairaland not allow me to write U turn with the alphabet "u"?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2007
babyosisi:

They need to clearly mark the bridges built by local engineers with neon signs
so that those of us who are not ready yet to meet our maker will make a You turn and find an alternate route.

he he he. una go wound me with laughter o
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by naijaking1: 10:09pm On Jul 09, 2007
It's a good reason to apply the firing squad.

Though I don't support the death penalty, sqandering public finances by highly placed officials seems to be a good reason to execute somebody, just like in China.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2007
This is old news.
The Bridge collapsed a long time ago after a heavy downpour.
I normally visit Agbani and i've seen the collapsed bridge.
Although we've been warned to never ply that route

This kind bridge wey no survive common tropical rain in only 6 months.
what was it made of ?      

epson salt?
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by miky(m): 10:14pm On Jul 09, 2007
u dont expect the locals engineers to be good all of a sudden do you. however there is more to this than meets the eye, i doubt all that money was used.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by angel101(f): 10:16pm On Jul 09, 2007
miky:

i doubt all that money was used.

U dont say!!
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by t4teens(f): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2007
well since they have the money, let them spend it now abi.
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 09, 2007
If it cost 300million the least they should have done is  add all the parts the structure needed?

Why can't our people do the right thing?

were they adding nnewi type spare parts when they ran out of metals? grin

biko let ndi Nnewi spare me,I have enough pseudo enemies on nairaland and I don't need anymore! rofl
Re: N300m Bridge Collapses In Enugu by babadee(m): 12:42am On Jul 10, 2007
maybe it was a test bridge to test congestion, the real one is yet to be built abi why would a six month old bridge collapse and the coloniial wooden bridge in my friends fathers village still stands after so many years?
lets see what Yaradua would do about it.
ps: anyone noticed tha Musa looks like bugzy siegel? at least the black version

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have Your Say: Is Nigeria Worth Living In? / EXPOSED!!! The Many "Faces" Of Barcanista / Mbaka Drops New Bombshell For Buhari,Soldiers,Looted Funds & More(A MUST READ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.