Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:43 PM

Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? (12491 Views)

Celebration Of Victory In Government House Yenagoa Bayelsa State (Photos) / 5 Popular Nigerians Who Died At The Verge Of Victory (Photos) / Ben Bruce: Buhari Showing Signs Of Helplessness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 17, 2011
Correct me if you will, the election seemed like a North Vs. South War.

Would GEJ had won if the SW/ MW nations had not voted for GEJ?
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:12am On Apr 17, 2011
No, GEJ would not have won without support from the SW.

No matter what people are saying on NL, there is a North vs. South dichotomy.

And the same would go if GEJ did not get the SE votes.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Kobojunkie: 5:16am On Apr 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Correct me if you will, the election seemed like a North Vs. South War.

Would GEJ had won if the SW/ MW nations had not voted for GEJ?

Of course not. If anything, the S Westerners should be congratulated for stepping away from the stereotype and voting in large numbers for a candidate that is outside of their ethnicity. Jonathan is not a S Westerner and his running mate is not even from the SW. They did not vote along party lines considering ACN rules in most of the S Western states today. That is a big deal! grin cheesy
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:18am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

No, GEJ would not have won without support from the SW.

No matter what people are saying on NL, there is a North vs. South dichotomy.

And the same would go if GEJ did not get the SE votes.

Thanks.

Don't mean to sound Ethnocentric, but. . . but I believe throughout this election process, the SW nation were the smartest. The fact that they could vote out PDP because of their incompetence, yet vote GEJ for "change" is something to commend. My people really want change. . . . exposure to the outside world, I suppose.

Eyin  omo Yoruba, e ku re o!!! I'm just so happy that we're making efforts. You ppl made me cry because of the hope I've been witnessing these past weeks.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:19am On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Of course not. If anything, the S Westerners should be congratulated for stepping away from the stereotype and voting in large numbers for a candidate that is outside of their ethnicity. Jonathan is not a S Westerner and his running mate is not even from the SW. They did not vote along party lines considering ACN rules in most of the S Western states today. That is a big deal! grin cheesy

Exactly.

Some few Nigerians that gathered together today (mostly non-Yorubas) said the same thing. I am so proud of my people sha!! I am proud of NIgeria in totality too.

We are getting there.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:22am On Apr 17, 2011
The question we should be asking ourselves is would the SW have voted for GEJ if there was a Yoruba who was running president for a MAJOR party.

As sjeezy rightfully said, GEJ would have no chance if a Yoruba was running for president.

Either way, I am happy that the SW made the right choice.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Kobojunkie: 5:25am On Apr 17, 2011
The candidates

* President Goodluck Jonathan/Mohammed Sambo, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP
* Muhammadu Buhari/Tunde Bakare, Congress for Progressive Change, CPC
* Nuhu Ribadu/Fola Adeola, Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN
* Pat Utomi/Lawal Funtua, Social Democratic Mega Party, SDMP
* Dele Momodu/Yunusa Tanko, National Conscience Party, NCP
*Ibrahim Shekarau/John Odigie-Oyegun, All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP
* Akpona Solomon, National Majority Democratic Party, NMDP
* Chris Nwaokobia, Liberal Democratic Party, LDP
* Chris Okotie, Fresh Democratic Party. FDP
* Ebiti Ndok/Galadima Samari, United National Party for Development, UNPD
* Iheanyichukwu Nnaji/Kadijat Abubakar, Better Nigeria Progressive Party, BNPP
* John Dara, National Transformation Party, NTP
* Mahmud Waziri/Clement Eze, People for Democratic Change, PDC
* Nwadike Chikezie, Peoples Mandate Party, PMP
* Peter Nwangwu/Mani Ibrahim Ahmad, African Democratic Congress, ADC
* Rasheed Shitta-Bey, Mega Progressive Peoples Party, MPPP
* Yahaya Ndu, African Renaissance Party, AFP
* Ambrose Awuru/Ibrahim Abdullahi, Hope Democratic Party, HDP.

Considering there were 17 Presidential Candidates and some of them Yoruba's it is clear the Yoruba's deserve to be congratulated for being the bigger group this time around.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:26am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

The question we should be asking ourselves is would the SW have voted for GEJ if there was a Yoruba who was running president for a MAJOR party.

I'd say, as a muslim and a Northerner, Buhari was more similar to the Yorubas than GEJ (who is a minority, whose militants have disturbed Ondo state just months before this election). . . .yet the SW nation still voted for GEJ in large numbers.

If this was a tribalistic call, the SW nation would have voted for Buhari/Ribadu than for GEJ.

On FB, a Yoruba woman (NLer) asked ppl to vote for BB, the same Yoruba people told her off. "GEJ for change" "GEJ for anti-corruption" "GEJ for the Youth". This is not a tribaslistic call. This is our call for change.

Let me be real, I didnt want GEJ. But since I dont live in Nigeria to think my opinion matters to ppl that live there live, then I have to give in and say the majority opinion rules.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:26am On Apr 17, 2011
If Dele Momodu is your example, a man who could not win in his own area, then your statement is non-started like usual.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

As sjeezy rightfully said, GEJ would have no chance if a Yoruba was running for president.

Because sjeezy said it does not mean it is.

Plz, post the poll result of the election and this thread and calculate the diff in margin between ACN votes and PDP votes. Then you'd understand.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:29am On Apr 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'd say, as a muslim and a Northerner, Buhari was more similar to the Yorubas than GEJ (who is a minority, whose militants have disturbed Ondo state just months before this election). . . .yet the SW nation still voted for GEJ in large numbers.

If this was a tribalistic call, the SW nation would have voted for Buhari/Ribadu than for GEJ.

On FB, a Yoruba woman (NLer) asked ppl to vote for BB, the same Yoruba people told her off. "GEJ for change" "GEJ for anti-corruption" "GEJ for the Youth". This is not a tribaslistic call. This is our call for change.

Let me be real, I didnt want GEJ. But since I dont live in Nigeria to think my opinion matters to ppl that live there live, then I have to give in and say the majority opinion rules.

How is Buhari/Ribadu similar to the Yoruba? In religion yes partly, but that is about it.

The North has never been aligned with the SW in politics.

I don't know why the Yoruba should be congratulated over other Southern groups.

Why do people expect Igbos to support an Ijaw? Since many Igbos see Ijaws as saboteurs of Biafra. Igbos being able to unite and support a minority, is something that should be commended as well. Or is Goodluck Jonathan Igbo now?
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

How is Buhari/Ribadu similar to the Yoruba? In religion yes partly, but that is about it.

The North has never been aligned with the SW in politics.

I don't know why the Yoruba should congratulated over other Southern groups.

Why do people expect Igbos to support an Ijaw? Since many Igbos see Ijaws as saboteurs of Biafra. Igbos being able to unite and support a minority, is something that should be commended as well. Or is Goodluck Jonathan Igbo now?

In similarities. . . . would you say the northerners are similar to Yorubas than the Ijaws? Do Yorubas even SEE the Ijaws in political matters.

When it comes to tribal politics, you'd see Yorubas/Northerners either head vs head or head with head. It's those two groups. So one would have expected the Yorubas to feel more affiliated with Buhari.

Oh plzzzz. . . . dont bring the Igbos into this discussion. I dont want my thread littered with unnecessary sentiments.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:35am On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Considering there were 17 Presidential Candidates and some of them Yoruba's it is clear the Yoruba's deserve to be congratulated for being the bigger group this time around.

I didnt even see this. This is why I like you jare.

Weren't ppl shouting that Yorubas would vote for Ribadu/Buhari since they both had Yoruba VP candidates? Werent they calling Yoruba tribalists?
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:37am On Apr 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

In similarities. . . .  would you say the northerners are similar to Yorubas than the Ijaws? Do Yorubas even SEE the Ijaws in political matters.

When it comes to tribal politics, you'd see Yorubas/Northerners either head vs head or head with head. It's those two groups. So one would have expected the Yorubas to feel more affiliated with Buhari.

Oh plzzzz. . . .  dont bring the Igbos into this discussion. I dont want my thread littered with unnecessary sentiments.

The Yoruba have never been united with the North unless you are talking about the Nigerian Civil War. That is the only time.

Yorubas have always been in the opposition.

Why do you think it took so long for a Yoruba to be president. Where were Northerners when Abiola's election became annulled?

Can you show me where the North and the Yoruba have ever been united? I can tell you when the Igbos have been united with the North though. . .
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by AljUche: 5:42am On Apr 17, 2011
ileke-idi

you are very right

congratualations SWers for being detribalized unlike other nigerians

good one yorubas
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by real4life: 5:43am On Apr 17, 2011
Has Jonathan won? This is news to me.

There were only two candidates that had any chance to win this election: Ijaw Goodluck and Hausa Buhari. Yorubas had a choice to make between these two.

The majority of them voted for Jonathan but many also voted Buhari. Fair game. But believe me if a son of theirs whom they LOVE was a major contender, 100% of them would have voted for him.

Jonathan will get some Hausa votes but Buhari may not get a single Ijaw vote. Big deal. If Buhari was the incumbent president it would be the other way round.

Bottom line; no tribe should claim to be less tribal than others based on this election.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:45am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

There were only two candidates that had any chance to win this election: Ijaw Goodluck and Hausa Buhari. Yorubas had a choice to make between these two.

The majority of them voted for Jonathan but many also voted Buhari. Fair game. But believe me if a son of theirs whom they LOVE was participating, 100% of them would have voted for him.

Jonathan will get some Hausa votes but Buhari may not get a single Ijaw vote. Big deal. If Buhari was the incumbent president it would be the other way round.

Bottom line; no tribe should claim to be less tribal than others based on this election.

Gbam!
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by jason123: 5:45am On Apr 17, 2011
I have always said Yorubas are not and will never be tribalist. I have lived among them and I can say that confidently. The tribalist yoruba propaganda came form a source (we all know who) which had hate for Swesterners/MWesterners, in fact, southerners in general.
The Yorubas have once again demonstrated maturity in this contraption called Nigeria even though they were the ONLY group that voted against it during our Independence.
I doff my hat for the Yorubas. They skillfully selected their leaders yet voted for who they think is the best person to be the president without any hint of bias or prejudice.

@Ileke-idi,
I think the Yorubas have more in common with the Ijaws than Hausas especially the Western Ijaws.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I really wish Buhari a resounding victory against all odds. cool
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Kobojunkie: 5:45am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

The majority of them voted for Jonathan but many also voted Buhari. Fair game. But believe me if a son of theirs whom they LOVE was a major contender, 100% of them would have voted for him.

99% of that does not make sense! undecided undecided
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by cantell(m): 5:48am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by AljUche: 5:50am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

@bold

u are contradicting yourself

the must detribalised people in nigeria as of today are the SW and NE people

that is a fact
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by real4life: 5:50am On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

99% of that does not make sense! undecided undecided

Thats okay. At least it made sense to someone else.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:52am On Apr 17, 2011
Alj Uche:

@bold

that is a fact

The poster of the comment made a lot of sense. And he is correct. \

If you don't agree, then attack his point instead of regurgitating the same garbage we have been hearing today.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by real4life: 5:53am On Apr 17, 2011
Alj Uche:

@bold

that is a fact

How?
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

Define majority in numbers. . . compare majority of GEJ's vote to those of Buhari's and other Yoruba candidates on that presidential polls.

Ok, my bad, GEJ has not won in Nigeria, but he has won the SW with overwhelming votes. . .  .

Compare the rsult of the SW to that of SE and N. Compare the numbers of SEasterns who voted for GEJ (because he's an Easterner) and that of SW that voted for Yoruba candidates/ Candidates with Yoruba campaign mates.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 5:56am On Apr 17, 2011
^^^

The old East is dead. You can't say the SE vote was tribalistic, because Jonathan is an Ijaw, not an Igbo.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Kobojunkie: 5:56am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

Thats okay. At least it made sense to someone else.

For it to make sense to anyone, the person would need to ignore many of the disconnects contained. You tried to show an ethnic group, which clear stepped out of it's comfort zones to vote enmasse for a candidate that was not even from it's zone, as ethnically bigoted as other groups by making some false claims.

a) From what we got yesterday, CPC did not get a significant number of votes from the South West so it cannot be claimed that religion played a part

b) ACN got whooped in most ACN states, so ethnicity and party alliance played no big role

c) PDP cleared in  most all the areas  . . . many areas recorded zero votes for CPC, so it is safe to say that S West voted in large numbers for a party and group not local to it's region
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by real4life: 5:59am On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

For it to make sense to anyone, the person would need to ignore many of the disconnects contained. You tried to show an ethnic group, which clear stepped out of it's comfort zones to vote enmasse for a candidate that was not even from it's zone, as ethnically bigoted as other groups by making some false claims.

a) From what we got yesterday, CPC did not get a significant number of votes from the South West so it cannot be claimed that religion played a part

b) ACN got whooped in most ACN states, so ethnicity and party alliance played no big role

c) PDP cleared in most all the areas . . . many areas recorded zero votes for CPC, so it is safe to say that S West voted in large numbers for a party and group not local to it's region

Quite frankly this makes no sense to me
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by EzeUche(m): 6:01am On Apr 17, 2011
real4life:

Quite frankly this makes no sense to me

She never makes sense. Sometimes it is best to ignore her. She is notorious for her circular arguments.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 6:02am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

The Yoruba have never been united with the North unless you are talking about the Nigerian Civil War. That is the only time.

Yorubas have always been in the opposition.

Why do you think it took so long for a Yoruba to be president. Where were Northerners when Abiola's election became annulled?

Can you show me where the North and the Yoruba have ever been united? I can tell you when the Igbos have been united with the North though. . .

One does not have to be united . . . . Yorubas and Northerners have been politicising together. One would say that while many regions practice corruption, Yorubas and Northerners practice their own together. They know how to play each other.

If the Yorubas wanted to vote for tribalism, they would not have voted for GEJ.

1. Yorubas are similar to a Northerner in religion

2. Those two live together and have acculturated each other

3. The other two presidential candidates had Yoruba running mates

4. ND militants terrorized Yoruba regions ; Lagos and Ondo a few weeks before the election.

and many more other cases.

Igbos have been united with the North? In Politics? Aren't Igbos saying the North are marginalizing them? That the North are stealing their oil funding? etc.
Under which rising sun have the North and Igbos been united?

Why are you trying so hard to push Igbos into this discussion. Look oh, I dont want you ppl saying we're discussing you because we're jealous or hate you. Comot Igbos from my lovely thread today. This is focus on he Yorubas, Period.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Kobojunkie: 6:03am On Apr 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Compare the rsult of the SW to that of SE and N. Compare the numbers of SEasterns who voted for GEJ (because he's an Easterner) and that of SW that voted for Yoruba candidates/ Candidates with Yoruba campaign mates.

Earlier last year, the South Easterners decided not to field a candidate for the presidential elections, as some of the States decided they needed to instead focus their energy on bettering local politics. This was about the same time the Ibo leaders started looking for Presidential candidates to throw the Ibo weight behind. I remember at one time there was a back and forth on how supporting Jonathan would not necessarily benefit ibos, since according to many of here, he is not Ibo. But as time went on( Probably with money changing hands), Ibo leaders became less divided on throwing the Ibo support behind Jonathan(we are talking of months before Jonathen even officially declare he was runnning). I remember many Ibo leaders coming out to plead on Jonathan to run for Presidency.

Now, we all know that towards the election, the voice of Ibo leaders grew louder and louder on who they would vote for and many of the reasons given have been more ethnically lined. You barely read of reasons that had to do with tangible support given the ibo leaders by the Jonathan group. This call grew stronger, even up till last week.
Re: Would Gej Be Showing Signs of Victory Without The Sw Votes? by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

She never makes sense. Sometimes it is best to ignore her. She is notorious for her circular arguments.

Dont make me get rude. Behave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Picture Of An SSS Agent Vs CIA Agent / Abia State Govt Set To Commence Phased Redevelopment Of Ariaria Market / Ado Doguwa: Nigerians Must Be Allowed To Take Up Arms & Defend Themselves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.