Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? (7281 Views)

Who Said English Is Easy: Try This / Who Said That ENGLISH Is Easy Answer This Question / Who Said English Is Easy Fill This Blank With Yes Or No (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by PrinceRaj1: 12:12am On Apr 18, 2011
Hello Nairalanders,

I have been hearing this statement since the 1990's especially around when I was doing my WAEC.

When people are unable to pass their exams they say "it's not how far but how well", and I have always thought it was a loser's statement.

I could be wrong, but I have been searching for the wise man who is being quoted to have said that.

The statement is not attributed to anybody at all, but surprisingly people still say it everyday.

Confucius didn't say it, Aristotle dint say it, its not in the bible and its not even attributed to a Bob Marley or Fela, who could have been high on something.

It does not make sense to me, I am just wondering if it does to anyone apart from those who say it when they fail or lose.

I can imagine if a football team say such if the team plays well but drops out in the first round of a world cup competition. How well can that be when going far up to the finals and winning was their in the game.

Can an employee say such if still is at the same level and income after many years of doing a job? How well can he be when inflation has overtaken is income. Even messenger job get senior position. Head Messenger, chief driver, Master Chef.

A baby cant be a baby forever, size, position or income must change.

For all those who quote this statement to relief themselves when they fail, please snap out of it.

Atleast if you are going to quote something or follow a believe, follow one that makes sense or aleast is attributed to a wise man.

Do you have information about this loser statement "it's not how far but how well"? please let me know.

Thanks
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by bonetalk(m): 5:50am On Apr 18, 2011
@OP, your observation is okay, but what is the right statement to be saying?
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by whyx06(m): 8:34am On Apr 18, 2011
@ OP, d statement is just meant to give a COURAGE TO D LOSERS ,
@ Gbenga, I tink d stment shud b left like dat so to encourage d loose in other nt to commit SUIcIDE, ,,
Thankz at all.
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by PrinceRaj1: 7:28pm On Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for your contribution. It is honest understandable that people say it for consolation.

But I have seen it abused such that people proudly say it, and are comfortable with failure once they say it. Its not that I pass all my WAEC papers at once, and first time was in SS2 and I had f9 in physics and chemistry, I am not saying I have never failed, failing is a part of learning, learning that you do not know enough pass is very important. It make go back to learn those thing which you did not know.

You should go and take they syllabus again and set you target to pass.
Go back to you pass questions and practice, prepare yourself for another opportunity to pass.

If you take consolation in failure saying such statements you are giving up mentally on the fact that you should pass and progress in.

It sounds like you are saying its not important that that I pass , its only important that I do the exam well.

Pass exam - how far
Do exam (as many times as possible) - how well.

Though in truth, doing an exam many times is not well. There is nothing well about it. Its a challenge you need to tackle with all you might.

Dont ever give up on yourself. You are born to pass. If science in JAMB is too hard, go for councelling and change your course to social science or arts, find another profession you want to do.
Its better you are a success in accounting than a failure in Physics, you are better a well celebrated fashion designer, Interior decorator, Contractor, trader then a failed chemist or mathematician or frustrated teacher, or unemployed engineer, agronomist. A successful farmer is better than a civil engineering graduate lookin for a job.

Start going into courses that will give you self employement. Jobs are very scarce in Nigeria.

They dont even teach how to become business owner schools, univeristy and co.

Please think about it, live is really about how far and how well. You cant live your life giving up how far for how well. You should go far with the hope that it will be well.

Thank you
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by quest003: 8:52am On Apr 19, 2011
dnt twist. Losers are everly shy and wil not make such statemnt, not even 2 liven up self but only those who are sympathetic to their cause or those who ve sucesfuly scaled thru a similar situatn does say so in order 2 encorage dem.
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by PrinceRaj1: 9:33am On Apr 19, 2011
I have heard people make this statement for years, yes, I have heard people say to someone who failed, but I have heard more people who failed saying it, and saying it boldly with a conviction that what they are saying make sense.

I am sure I am not the only one who as heard or seen this. I have heard this over the last 18 years before writing up this topic. Its not a debate or argument. Its from experience.
Re: Who Said "it's Not How Far, But How Well" ? by Rebe24: 12:37pm On Mar 04, 2015
A good one will be "It's not how far you fall, but how high you bounce that counts" By Zig Ziglar.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

World Teachers' Day: Why The Worth Of The Teaching Profession Depreciates / Fuoye Post Utme Result Is Out / Vcs Of All The New Federal Universities Removed

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.