Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Please Read - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Read (3877 Views)

Are You A Programmer? Please READ! / Letter From The Moderator - Please Read / Please Read My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Read by Fayimora(m): 5:31am On Apr 18, 2011
I have noticed on this forum that when people have problems, the next thing that follows is one code or the other. This is really wrong. If someone has a problem and you can help, it would be better if you just hint up whoever needs the help rather than giving direct answers.

Whoever needs help should post related code or explain the problem properly. Then you get help(not code) this way you become a good programmer.
Dont take this personal as its just a suggestion.

Little about me:
I am a Computer Scientist based in the UK but I have done a lot of projects. I hate web development/design cause its too easy, No challenge in it. If you wanna see some of ma work then I would provide on request.

I love Java as a programming language as its very flexible and well object oriented. Perl is ma favourite scripting language.

Peace out peeps!!!
Re: Please Read by dellnet: 8:48am On Apr 18, 2011
People come on here with how to do questions. Some people will understand the code better, programming is a practical thing you can explain as much as you want but when you do not support your talks with code you are just saying jibberish.
Re: Please Read by instinctg(m): 10:44am On Apr 18, 2011
thought it was something more sensible this guy has to offer, its better to ignore him since he wants to start a senseless tug of war tongue tongue tongue
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 1:39pm On Apr 18, 2011
Dellnet i fully agree with you but you and i know that code is just given out without explanation Instinct wait till you see what i have to offer.
Re: Please Read by naijaswag1: 3:13pm On Apr 18, 2011
Dont mind all these boiz that run away from Nigeria.If you dont wanna help beginners,get off programming section of Nairaland.How many people have learned programming from you since you started.Web programming is easy? can you develop the underlying api's,all these dull mumu who learned how to program.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 3:24pm On Apr 18, 2011
Wow! thats hard for someone with "swag" in their name. Anyways, how about this. I was born and bred here and have been to Nigeria on a few occasions . Now tell me how dull I am. I took the pain of coming to this forum to make a suggestion and y'all just spitting crap. People say Nigeria cannot bring out good software developers and I always disagree but its getting obvious that its true.

Life is not all about getting answers. What good are you to software design if all you do when you have a problem is just ask for code? Its funny how you guys ain't seeing reason to this. I was going to organize a programming competition with third prize £300. Obviously, you guys don't want me to so am just gonna take ma money back and enjoy maself with it.

NB: I said 300 for third prize and I meant it.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 3:28pm On Apr 18, 2011
Web programming is easy? can you develop the underlying api's,all these dull mumu who learned how to program.

I am currently in a group where we re developing a new programming language. Web programming is EASY!!!!
Re: Please Read by dellnet: 8:03pm On Apr 18, 2011
Fayimora:

Wow! thats hard for someone with "swag" in their name. Anyways, how about this. I was born and bred here and have been to Nigeria on a few occasions . Now tell me how dull I am. I took the pain of coming to this forum to make a suggestion and y'all just spitting crap. People say Nigeria cannot bring out good software developers and I always disagree but its getting obvious that its true.

Life is not all about getting answers. What good are you to software design if all you do when you have a problem is just ask for code? Its funny how you guys ain't seeing reason to this. I was going to organize a programming competition with third prize £300. Obviously, you guys don't want me to so am just gonna take ma money back and enjoy maself with it.

cheesy cheesy
I'm in.
Re: Please Read by segsalerty(m): 10:38pm On Apr 18, 2011
Fayimora:

i dey here for that !
Re: Please Read by talk2hb1(m): 6:43am On Apr 19, 2011
Hello Mr Poster,
You are right by saying we are not helping by given out source code, as a true programmer an algorithm is enough for you, so you can easily transport the same solution to different languages, cos thats what they call real programming. You said web programming is simple, well you might be right but I just want you to understand that, web designing and development is the market demand in Nigeria. If you conduct a poll of how many nigerian progammer have ever developed commercial application using C++ for any company in nigeria believe me the number will be very small, I can program in vb and python since there is more demand for web programmer I have to deviate to web programming, there is even more demand for php programmers than ASP.NET developer so if you are in my situation what will you do?I am sure you change your plan by keeping the less demanded skill as your hobby.
I never study computer science nor have the opportunity to go to computer school but believe me you can't stand me when it comes to programming. I am a final year student Urban and Regional Planning University of Lagos.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 6:51am On Apr 19, 2011
Am really glad you understood what i was talkin about. Am also really grateful for the info about the demand in Nigeria. As a developer, you know that this is really bad as software development should be taken into consideration a lot. It would be nice if we could talk privately. Either via email, a messenger, blackberry or anything else.

I can't stand you in programming! Really?? Why won't i want to meet a guy like you. Hehehe.
Re: Please Read by talk2hb1(m): 7:52am On Apr 19, 2011
facebook ma with talk2hb1@gmail.com
lata I am having lecture now.
Re: Please Read by Otuabaroku: 8:44am On Apr 19, 2011
naija_swag:

Dont mind all these boiz that run away from Nigeria.If you dont wanna help beginners,get off programming section of Nairaland.How many people have learned programming from you since you started.Web programming is easy? can you develop the underlying api's,all these dull mumu who learned how to program.

Your tune of response is total uncalled for. It seems you have beaf with all those boys that ran away from Nigeria. The guy is making a valid point as you can not learn by continuous spoon feeding you any time you have challenge, rather by giving you hint on how to tackle your challenge and you finally overcoming the challenge, you go along way to learn and improve your skills.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 2:59pm On Apr 19, 2011
Thannks for making the point clearer. If you read what's above someone has said web development is the demand in Nigeria. Don't you think its only the demand because they feel Nigerians don't have the algorithmic and analytical skill How long are you going to watch companies go abroad to get software developers. Web development is nothing. Too many in that aspect that's why i just freelance.

Anyways i just hope one day that i would be understood properly.

Peace
Thanks
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 5:03pm On Apr 19, 2011
@talk2hb1 funny enough you are my friend, lol
Re: Please Read by dellnet: 5:50pm On Apr 19, 2011
talk is cheap, are we still on for the prize money?
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 5:51pm On Apr 19, 2011
Depends,  How many are in? Minimum of 20! No web scripting language allowed, Strictly programming languages.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 11:01pm On Apr 19, 2011
Good one megaplaza, Anyways I would setup an online registration for the competition when the time comes. I would not be calling or mailing anyone.

Just so you all know. The competition would be strictly for PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES. No scripting language inclusive.
Need more info then contact me fayimora@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Please Read by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2011
I have noticed on this forum that when people have problems, the next thing that follows is one code or the other. This is really wrong. If someone has a problem and you can help, it would be better if you just hint up whoever needs the help rather than giving direct answers.

i disagree.
i really dont know how much experience you have in this field, nor do i know ur method of grasping
whichever, programming isn't theory, people like me needs to see working examples
even if i can solve it by reading just ur explanation, i may end up learning to secure my code better from your example.

Little about me:
I am a Computer Scientist based in the UK but I have done a lot of projects.[b] I hate web development/design cause its too easy, No challenge in it. [/b]If you wanna see some of ma work then I would provide on request.

I love Java as a programming language as its very flexible and well object oriented. Perl is ma favourite scripting language.

php, asp, java, python, etc scripting or no scripting requires same logical reasoning, and a project you are working on provides the challenge, not the language.

waiting to see you post your contest.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 12:49am On Apr 20, 2011
Ok since not everyone agrees let me use your point to explain what I mean.

Assume some comes and asks, "Please I want to read 20 lines from a file, each containing one integer, sum up the values and print out the result ". How do i go about this. I think I have seen more Java coe on this forum so I would use Java to explain.

Now for me, this is what I would tell that person.
Method 1.

Import a file reader and use it to read each line from a file
     As you read each line, add the value to an accumulator variable.
     Dont forget to parse the value to an int as you read.
     immediately outside the loop print out the value of the accumulator.
     the accumulator can be a variable called sum of primitive type int.

Method 2.

Import a file reader and use it to read each line from a file
     As you read each line, store the value into an array of type int.
     Dont forget to parse the value to an int as you read.
     Immediately outside the loop or in another method,
     Run another loop that sums up all the values in the array into an accumulator variable.
     Outside this loop or in a designated method, print out this value

Now as we all know there are so many ways of tackling this type of problem but I have just elaborated two algorithms.
Now what I have done above is give the person a head start. I have broken down the problem for you into pieces and everything else is easy.
This is not the way people do it on this forum which is wrong. You would not make a good software developer if you cant take a specification and break it down your self. But this takes a lot of time. However, someone breaks the problem down into pieces. You are not even a software developer if you cant use this pieces to build that software. I really don't know if you are are seeing what am pointing out.

If a question like this was asked on this forum, the next thing that follows is something like;

import java.io.*;

class NairaLand
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
int sum=0;
try
{
BufferedReader buffer = new BufferedReader( new FileReader("fileName.txt"wink );
while( buffer.ready() )
{
sum += Integer.parseInt( buffer.readLine() );
}
System.out.println("The sum is " + sum);
}
catch(IOException e)
{
System.out.println(e);
}
}
}

Wel the code would work but what happens if the person comes across a similar problem in a different context. He/she would definitely not be able to solve this because he/she doesn't have the necessary analytical experience required. I just hope you all see the point in what am laying out.

Cheers
Re: Please Read by 0yewale(m): 10:41am On Apr 20, 2011
I totally disagree with what you said earlier on, cause i write and develop with java and i enjoyed it more than anything, but you know programming languages are very tasking and nigerians are very 'lazy' but i tell tell you there are so many developers here, though some of our top companies here still underestimate our capabilities, JAVA I S GOOD AND VERY INTERESTING,
Re: Please Read by csharpjava(m): 11:45am On Apr 20, 2011
@ Poster
Whoever needs help should post related code or explain the problem properly. Then you get help(not code) this way you become a good programmer. Dont take this personal as its just a suggestion.

I disagree with you. With programming the best way to learn is to see the code with good explanation, and then they can develop themselves from there, a lot of people that ask for help here are trying to learn programming. Programming book and videos give you the whole code learning programming is not easy and you need to see the whole code to help you quickly learn.

Your suggestion is good for those who are already gurus in the area they know. Even if these guru want to learn a new language they need to see the whole code before they can master that new language.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 12:18pm On Apr 20, 2011
I never said Java is Bullshit. Java is one of the fastest growing languages now and its very interactive.

Take my example above, after just giving you the code, what do you want to build again??
Re: Please Read by Nobody: 12:22am On Apr 21, 2011
csharpjava:

@ Poster
I disagree with you. With programming the best way to learn is to see the code with good explanation, and then they can develop themselves from there, a lot of people that ask for help here are trying to learn programming. Programming book and videos give you the whole code learning programming is not easy and you need to see the whole code to help you quickly learn.

Your suggestion is good for those who are already gurus in the area they know. Even if these guru want to learn a new language they need to see the whole code before they can master that new language.

seconded

0yewale:

I totally disagree with what you said earlier on, cause i write and develop with java and i enjoyed it more than anything, but you know programming languages are very tasking and nigerians are very 'lazy' but i tell tell you there are so many developers here, though some of our top companies here still underestimate our capabilities, JAVA I S GOOD AND VERY INTERESTING,

i disagree. Lazy ppl exist around the world. laziness is user based and not inherited from location.

lol. Java is good and interesting. Sounds to me like someone saying "Yoruba is good and very interesting"
of course it is, what about Igbo?
Re: Please Read by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 21, 2011
Totally i relate with the poster's post,many here obviously work at organization and post their job issues here,most of them have no intent of learning,they just want to get it to work and claim the author behind it,i have provided codes here, also another point i like to point out to the OP, is that Nigeria is a consumer of Technology not an innovative one,so things like developing a programming language is totally not something you will see here, Yes actually Web Development is relatively easy compared to Desktop Programming and some crazy algorithm that refers you to pick up Mathematical and Physics Textbook but it's what puts food on the table. but however if it's one thing i really hate at nairaland or in developer's is that pride notion.Really i have good knowledge in various languages due to demand however i accept that am not the best because i believe i can learn from someone else who is far better,there's always a better programmer.attitudes like "you can't stand me in programming" or "am better than the world in coding" is totally ridiculous,because ideally a key interesting fact is that Programmers have this urge to share ideas with other and get suggestions,as a programmer you shud always be open to opinions,ideas and suggestion. apart from dhtml,yawa,donpuzo and some few who don't brag. now back to the main discussion, reading codes is actually much more saner than to get the concept,even in all SDK i have touched Qt Comes with Samples,Blackerry Simulator comes with Samples,Android SDK comes with Samples because why we all forgetting to be a professional coders means you at one point will be a noob.i am not ashamed to say i don't know some stuff because lets face it no be my father build the Language.i just dey learn am.lets all be one share ideas and unite.Peace to all Nairaland Programmers.also("Let's be more active this place is getting dry")
Re: Please Read by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 21, 2011
pc guru:

Totally i relate with the poster's post,many here obviously work at organization and post their job issues here,most of them have no intent of learning,they just want to get it to work and claim the author behind it,i have provided codes here, also another point i like to point out to the OP, is that Nigeria is a consumer of Technology not an innovative one,so things like developing a programming language is totally not something you will see here, Yes actually Web Development is relatively easy compared to Desktop Programming and some crazy algorithm that refers you to pick up Mathematical and Physics Textbook but it's what puts food on the table. but however if it's one thing i really hate at nairaland or in developer's is that pride notion.Really i have good knowledge in various languages due to demand however i accept that am not the best because i believe i can learn from someone else who is far better,there's always a better programmer.attitudes like "you can't stand me in programming" or "am better than the world in coding" is totally ridiculous,because ideally a key interesting fact is that Programmers have this urge to share ideas with other and get suggestions,as a programmer you shud always be open to opinions,ideas and suggestion. apart from dhtml,yawa,donpuzo and some few who don't brag. now back to the main discussion, reading codes is actually much more saner than to get the concept,even in all SDK i have touched Qt Comes with Samples,Blackerry Simulator comes with Samples,Android SDK comes with Samples because why we all forgetting to be a professional coders means you at one point will be a noob.[b]i am not ashamed to say i don't know some stuff because lets face it no be my father build the Language.i just dey learn am.[/b]lets all be one share ideas and unite.Peace to all Nairaland Programmers.also("Let's be more active this place is getting dry"wink

lol. well said

let me chip this in.
Developers should not always accept every article they read on blogs here and there. do your research and get your fact.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 12:32am On Apr 24, 2011
Hmm its all good, Erryone at his/her own opinions but lets face it. There is always the right one.

Ciaoo
Re: Please Read by NumberOne2(m): 1:58am On Apr 24, 2011
Whatever happened to "teach a man to fish rather than give him fish"? I've had an experience once. A friend asked for a html code which when a button is clicked it leads to a website. I gave him the code. Guess what? He later asked me for a code that instead of onClick will go to the website, he wanted onClick to a file on his system. WTF? This is what the OP is saying we should avoid.
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 2:03am On Apr 24, 2011
Am really grateful that someone has finally shared an experience. Like I said, imagine you just told him that hee needs to handle the button's event and you told him to look up "onClick" probably with a VERY EASY example. He wouldn't have come to you again with the same problem in a different context. In fact, in a way this is the fault of whosoever is learning. Why do you want a direct solution?

Thanks a lot man for sharing this.

p.s: please wats OP
Re: Please Read by sisqology(m): 4:40pm On Apr 24, 2011
now, i am a fan of this poster, willin to move closer to people like him
Re: Please Read by Fayimora(m): 11:03pm On Apr 24, 2011
@ sisqology
Thanks man, Same here view my profile and add me wherever you can.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Be A Hacker / Chemistry! Help A Brother To Solve These Questions / API To Get Nigeria's State And Cities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.