Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,450 members, 7,781,304 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:05 PM

Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice (12644 Views)

Rivers Police Confirm Arrest Of Chinyere Igwe For Vote-Buying (Photos) / Tinubu With A Placard, Demands Justice For Uwa, Tina And Jennifer (Photo) / IGP Redeploys Dandaura Mustapha, Rivers Police Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Updating9JA: 6:21am On Apr 12, 2021
A 30-year-old woman, Mrs Joy Ihunwo, who was allegedly brutalised by operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Rivers State Police Command, has said she lost her pregnancy after the incident and is calling for justice to be served.

The woman was arrested alongside her husband, who is the head of a vigilante group in the Diobu area of Port Harcourt following a petition against him over alleged illegal activities by his group.

Joy, while speaking to our correspondent in Port Harcourt on Sunday, said she had gone for a pelvic scan at the Rivers State University Teaching Hospital and the results showed that she had lost the pregnancy.

The scan result dated April 10, 2021 was sighted by our correspondent and Joy called on the human rights community and Nigerians to assist her to get justice.

Narrating her ordeal, Joy stated that she was at home on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, when policemen from the Anti-Kidnapping Unit came looking for her husband, who is the Chief Security Officer of the Rumu-Elechi community in Mile Three, Diobu, Port Harcourt.

She said despite arresting her husband, Mr Godstime Ihunwo, and about seven of his vigilante members, some of the cops broke into their apartment, allegedly beat her with the butt of their guns and took her away to their office alongside her husband and his and the vigilante members.

She added, “Now, the pregnancy I was carrying when they broke into our home and assaulted me has disappeared. I was crying and begging them to leave me that I was pregnant. They called me a thief and said I would give birth to a premature child.

“I was crying and asking them why they were treating a pregnant woman that way. One of them pushed me; another slapped me and pushed me out of the door, forced me inside their car and said I was an armed robber, and they took me to their office. While we were at their office, I told them that the pregnancy was disturbing me; they said I was crying for nothing and that I would give birth prematurely there.

“Later that evening, they took me in their vehicles back to the house. When we got there, the door was locked. They broke the padlock, opened the gate and entered our house. They ransacked the house, stole my phones and N150,000. They also stole the money that husband wanted to use to pay his boys.

“They even took phone chargers, MP3 music players and wrappers. I am calling on female lawyers and human rights activists to come and help me. Look at the scan result. Imagine a pregnant woman losing her baby because of Nigeria police.”

Meanwhile, a lawyer with the Centre for Basic Rights Protection and Accountability Campaign, Jane James, has called on the police authority to carry out a thorough investigation into the complaints of the victim.

James stated, “It was because of the alleged brutality on her that she lost the pregnancy. Her husband was the one they were looking for and in the process, they arrested her. It is not as if they didn’t see her husband.

“They arrested her along with her husband even when her name was not on the petition. Now, she has lost her baby as the scan result showed. It was a battery as a matter of fact.

“So, we are calling on the police authority that there should be thorough investigation of all the police officers connected with the incident. We want justice not just served, but to be seen to have been served.”

When contacted, the spokesman for the state police command, Nnamdi Omoni, said, “Let her (Joy) make a formal report and the Commissioner of Police will look into it accordingly.”

https://punchng.com/woman-allegedly-brutalised-by-rivers-police-loses-pregnancy-demands-justice/

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by JaeSoon: 6:29am On Apr 12, 2021
Haaa there is serious problem in this country

Get Responsive Website | Ecommerce | Blog | Corporate Website | with Hosting & Domain + SEO. Just For 30k ▶➡️ Check Signature For WhatsApp Contact

1 Like

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by donbachi(m): 6:32am On Apr 12, 2021
She should press for murder charge..they murdered her baby.

9 Likes

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Dwaynestefan: 7:21am On Apr 12, 2021
The Littlest Chance you get to leave this country, my brothers and sisters

Run!!!!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by thesicilian: 7:21am On Apr 12, 2021
Unfortunately she won't get any justice. Nigeria is a mess.

When contacted, the spokesman for the state police command, Nnamdi Omoni, said, “Let her (Joy) make a formal report and the Commissioner of Police will look into it accordingly.”
Translation: I will not get up from my chair and investigate my corrupt officers until the victim makes an official report

17 Likes

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by crossfm: 7:22am On Apr 12, 2021
Nigerian police is far from being our friends.

A typical case of a dog who eat the bone chained around it's neck.

1 Like

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Graysons: 7:22am On Apr 12, 2021
They should list the names of the officers who brutalised her, i want to check something.
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by punisha: 7:22am On Apr 12, 2021
Not a police check point on the roads anymore because these cowards ran for their lives but definitely are still abusing their jobs at d slightest opportunity.

Not a single effort to rebuild their image.

Now tell me why people won't rejoice when UGM and co. keep killing them like chickens?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by dahnimoh(m): 7:22am On Apr 12, 2021
Chai
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by leadedge: 7:23am On Apr 12, 2021
I do hope she gets justice

6 Likes

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by tolumizzy(m): 7:23am On Apr 12, 2021
Na their way... Wicked soul
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by nuhu2018(m): 7:23am On Apr 12, 2021
And the country keep going back
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by AwkaFinest: 7:24am On Apr 12, 2021
Op what is Rivers Police. Does Rivers State have police of its own? All this una caption self..

15 Likes

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by spartan50(m): 7:24am On Apr 12, 2021
Nigerian hungry police
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by paddyofboss(m): 7:24am On Apr 12, 2021
Buhari wont see this one
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Noahusirado(m): 7:25am On Apr 12, 2021
its time for civil war, let's make Nigeria be like china
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by MaryamUmar2020: 7:26am On Apr 12, 2021
shocked
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Seniorwriter(m): 7:26am On Apr 12, 2021
#NoToBadGovernament
#EndPoliceBrutality
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by TANID(m): 7:26am On Apr 12, 2021
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Hez143(m): 7:27am On Apr 12, 2021
lawlessness by this men in uniform is just too much!!! #endpolicebrutality
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Graysons: 7:27am On Apr 12, 2021
AwkaFinest:
Op what is Rivers Police. Does Rivers State have police of its own? All this una caption self..
No mind them and the funny thing is, most of the police officers in Rivers state are not even from Rivers State.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by yusluvad(m): 7:27am On Apr 12, 2021
Indeed justice must be served...
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Alejoas(m): 7:28am On Apr 12, 2021
shocked
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by lastmessenger: 7:29am On Apr 12, 2021
This why some of us pray for UGM with tears and Blood for The LORD to protect them from harm
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by explorer250(m): 7:29am On Apr 12, 2021
the police men involved should be dismissed, arrested and charged for their crime.
This kind of injustice and abuse of power is the reason the people have lost the trust they had in the police
hi, I am Clinton, a fullstack web developer. If you need custom website that can send emails and SMS to your customers, integrate payment gateway like paystack etc chat me up on 0 80 .79 .41 :37:.38 or email me. Contact details on my profile

3 Likes

Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by cococandy(f): 7:31am On Apr 12, 2021
I just want to cry for her
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by anyamashima(m): 7:32am On Apr 12, 2021
How sure she is that it is not fulani Herdsmen on police uniform trying to impose it on Police forces ?
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by zombieHUNTER: 7:33am On Apr 12, 2021
Wike has a hand in this......
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by inumidun2010(m): 7:33am On Apr 12, 2021
Dem don start again
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by Offpoint1: 7:33am On Apr 12, 2021
No such thing as "justice" in Nigeria, unless she's well connected.
Re: Woman Reportedly Brutalised By Rivers Police Loses Pregnancy, Demands Justice by DecentFriend(f): 7:34am On Apr 12, 2021
God please help all of us in this country!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed Elected Vice-president Of UN World Tourism Organisation / Wike: I Will Flog and crush small boys / Edo 2024: PDP Praises Shaibu For Withdrawing Lawsuit Against Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.