Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:01 PM

Bura Folktales - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bura Folktales (2070 Views)

4 Amazing Folktales Told By The Igbos / Brief History And Culture Of Babur/ Bura People. / Names Of Animals In Bura/babur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bura Folktales by ektbear: 10:29pm On Apr 22, 2011
The Bura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bura-Pabir_language) are an ethnic group in Borno and Adamawa States in Nigeria. Here is one folk tale from their culture:

FIRST FOLK TALE: THE FROG AND THE MOUSE

OBJECTIVES:
a. To appreciate friendship with members of other clans.
b. To appreciate people who live in different environments from our own.
c. To learn not to trust too far.
d. To learn that a killer will soon be killed.

There was a frog and a mouse that were very good friends.  Their friendship grew sweeter and sweeter.  They did not have the same kind of houses to live in.  The mouse lived in a hole in the ground and the frog lived in water.  The frog could live in water, but the mouse could not live in water.  When they wanted to visit, the frog would have to come out of the water.  When their visit was finished, the frog would hop back into the water, and the mouse would run back into his hole in the ground.
One day the frog came out to visit with the mouse.  Wickedness entered into his heart.  He got some string and tied his foot and the mouse's foot together.  He was just in play.  Then the frog jumped back into the water with their feet still tied together.

The mouse could not live in water, and it died.  After a while the mouse bloated and came to the top of the water.  A hawk saw him and, with a swoop, took both the dead mouse and the live frog up into the air.  The hawk alighted in a tree and ate both of them.  They both met death.

There is a Bura parable which says, "Let a man dig the hole of wickedness shallow because, perhaps, he will fall into it himself."
https://www.msu.edu/user/hamza/Folktale1.htm

Here is a website which has many more folktales from this group:
https://www.msu.edu/user/hamza/BuraFolktales.htm

If there are any Bura on this site (or non-Bura who know more about them), feel free to jump in and post additional information.
Re: Bura Folktales by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:10pm On Apr 22, 2011
Nice fable. I'll check out a few more.

1 Like

Re: Bura Folktales by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:19pm On Apr 22, 2011
This is a good one:

TWENTY-FIRST FOLK TALE: WISDOM, FOOD AND WEALTH
OBJECTIVES
a.  To show that where wisdom is, food and wealth may also be found
b.  To appreicate how these three travelelrs come to every person.
c.  To show how foolish man is.
d.  To learn that a busy man needs and wants wisdom

One day wisdom., food and wealth started on a journey.  As they went along they came to a man sitting under a tree.  The man said, "Where are you going?"  They said, "We are hunting a place to live." The man said, "As for me, I want wealth to live with me." Wealth said, "You are a dumb man.  If you had chosen wisdom, all three of us could have lived with you. But you have chosen me.  This cannot be, because if I lived with you without wisdom, you could not have me long."

They started off again and they met another man.  The man said, "Where are you going, young man?" They said, "We are hunting a place to live." The man said , "I believe that I would like to have food live with me."  Food said, "You are not clever.  If you had chosen a certain one of us, all of us would live with you.  But look, you have chosen me.  Do you think that you could keep me?  No, you could not keep me.  Let us go on."

Farther on they came to a man who was working.  He said, "Where are you going today?"  They said, "We want a place to live." The man said, "I would like for wisdom to live with me."  Food said, "If you have chosen wisdom, then I will live with you, too.  I know that you will be able to take good care of me." Wealth said, "If you have chosen wisdom, then I will live with you, too.  I know that you will be able to take good care of me."  All three lived with him because he made a good choice.
Re: Bura Folktales by ektbear: 10:32pm On Apr 24, 2011
I liked this one: https://www.msu.edu/user/hamza/Folktale4.htm

Kind of a romantic adventure. Maybe the kernel of a movie script in there smiley

(1) (Reply)

Other Pre-colonial Igbo Writing Systems? / Paul Kagame Opportunist Or Psycho? / How The Word "Oba" Came Into Existence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.