Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,882 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:20 AM

NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC (1451 Views)

Nigerians Say If NYSC Changed Their LIFE / Things You Must Take To NYSC Camp (october 2015) / Open Letter To NYSC: Where Is The Orientation In The NYSC Camps? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 24, 2011
NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC

Nigerian Students: Rise Up Against NYSC

A Call to Action

NYSC  is a monument to waste bequeathed on this and future generation as a consequence of the militarization of our national psyche and institutions. It is a white elephant project that constitutes a major un-affordable drain on our meager and scarce resources human and material. Nigeria cannot afford the waste and needless drain of resources hence it is now always underfunded and corpers are inadequately cared for or protected.
NYSC constitutes a major disruption in the natural life and evolution of the graduates and their families for whom the government has had little or no contribution to good education. In a society where graduates will wander for years without gainful employment delaying the odious search for gainful opportunities is nothing short of wickedness.

The host communities suffer as well from the disruptive and the distracting effect that deter them from pursing long term stable solutions for the services provided  by corp members.

Then there is the recurrent and needless unbearable loss of human lives at their prime when family dreams and sacrifices for a great future becomes a nightmare. Instead of national unity it fosters national resentment.

NYSC is another scheme to steal away all of our hard earned money. An anachronism that is a hold over from the era where Nigeria was run as an army barrack. Nigeria can no longer afford this foolish and childish approach to nation building.

If Nigeria ns want cut waste in governance and effect a judicious utilization of our resources SCRAPING the NYSC is a good start.
Nigerian students: Take your future in your hands. ORGANIZE PROTEST and even RIOT against the NYSC sham. It is your life and your future.
National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) this is call to ACTION.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by arsenal1(m): 4:11pm On Apr 24, 2011
subscribed
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by petme: 5:12pm On Apr 24, 2011
This is to all those corp members and well meaning Nigerians who feel something urgent should be done about this time-waster and death-trap scheme called Nysc.

In respect of the post above, I welcome all possible advice and strategies that can be used to make sure that our voice is heard.
Something need to be done and it must be urgent, hence the call for contributions on how this revolution can be achieved.

These are my own suggestions, though rudimentary but I welcome advice, criticism and other more revolutionary ideas and suggestions.

1. that a protest march should be organized to the National Assembly.
2.The protest march will primarily involve all those corpers presently serving in Abuja to reduce cost but others from other state can join.
3.The date should be after the election but before swearing-in-ceremony.
4. We the Nigerian student/youth should draw up list of demands that must be met before the continuity of the scheme if it will not be totally scrapped.
5 A committee can be set up to do No 4 task and paste it here on NL for all to criticize.
6. Pending the time the protest march will be organized, all institution of higher learning should be reached and all prospecting corp members for the next batch should be warned not to pick up their call up letter until everyone is satisfied with the scheme.
7. facts and figures that will show the whole world that the scheme is a waste of national health should be posted e.g imagine the fact that each corper outfit cost N70,000. I mean just one outfit o!
8. That Nairalanders and every concerned Nigerian who know who we can get across to that will support our cause should let us know.

Mind you this is just what i can think of now but like i mentioned earlier, all forms of advices, criticism and suggestion are welcome as long as they further this course.

Please do not let us keep silent about this issue and watch this opportunity to do something slip away. I am just a common Nigerian who feel something need to be done and it must be done now!

for all those who feel the same way as I do and who have suggestions on how this can be achieved, this is my email: smartguy0995@yahoo.com .
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by philip0906(m): 5:17pm On Apr 24, 2011
i just hope d sh.it will be scrapped. . .
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by Kilode1: 5:20pm On Apr 24, 2011
jerseyboy:

NYSC  is a monument to waste bequeathed of this and future generation as a consequence of the militarization of our national psyche and institutions.

Period.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by Katsumoto: 5:44pm On Apr 24, 2011
Why was the NYSC created? Was it really to foster unity amongst the various ethnic groups and regions in the nation?

1. Many northern villages and towns are dependent on corpers, mainly from the South for doctors and teachers. No doubt these corpers have saved Northern lives and provided education to Northerners
2. With approximately 8-10 graduates from the South for every Northern graduate, the South supplies the bulk of corpers
3. Most of the corpers who have died or suffered serious injury have been from the South
4. Due to the deplorable transport infrastructure, many corpers suffer mishap on the roads
5. Being easily identifiable, corpers make easy targets for rampaging rioters

It is obvious that the most benefit has gone to the Northern part and it is this same Northern part that continues to maim and kill those who are trying to assist them. It is clear to most that the objectives have not been met in the past few years; in fact, the murder of corpers has only served to increase the hatred Nigerians have for one another.

IF THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT CANNOT GUARANTEE THE LIVES OF YOUTH CORPERS SERVING IN VARIOUS PARTS OF NIGERIA AND IF IT CANNOT PROVIDE SAFE PASSAGE FOR THESE CORPERS TO THEIR POSTINGS, THEN IT CONTINUES TO BE COMPLICIT IN THE MURDERS AND INJURIES.

The following incompetent PRESIDENTS are therefore guilty and complicit in the murder of corpers over the years

1. Gowon
2. Shehu Shagari
3. Buhari
4. IBB
5. ABACHA
6. OBJ
7. Yaradua
8. GEJ
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by oluwabamis(m): 6:06pm On Apr 24, 2011
you can also start a facebook page, which can have additional reach, apart from nairaland. I think you are right. NYSC has benefitted only the north. they dont even appreciate this, instead they are killing the southerners.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by kodewrita(m): 9:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
I guess the NANS officials would be useful in this respect. People in different universities should contact their various SUG presidents or if they cant, they can name them here so that people with contacts to them can find them and get them on this project.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
endorsed!!!!

Scrap the nonesense or make it optional.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by chuks2612: 11:05pm On Apr 25, 2011
nysc should be scrapped immediately.NANS and all corpers,ex corpers,youth organisations must get involved in this campaing.srap nysc now.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by violent(m): 11:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
Nigerian students: Take your future in your hands. ORGANIZE PROTEST and even RIOT against the NYSC sham

I can't believe that amidst several ongoing riots which inevitably has led to loss of lives and damage of millions in property, some dude could still advocate for riots!. . .lawdy lord!
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by shotster50(m): 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
I really do think that the NYSC has outlived its purpose. As with everything Nigerian, there seems to be vested interests here, otherwise it should have long since been scrapped.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by kodewrita(m): 11:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
Please add the title or something similar to your signatures.
Re: NIGERIANS: SAY NO TO NYSC by 1Emmy: 2:22am On Apr 26, 2011
say no to nysc

(1) (Reply)

Nice Places For Nysc Primary Assignment! / NYSC;What Were The Excuses Given By Your School On Why You Weren't Mobilised???. / LOL! Corpers What Is Going On Here? (see Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.