Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped (1221 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped by real4life: 2:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
The plans to scrap NYSC or ask corpers to serve in their own states may be a very wrong move for the following reasons:

1. We will be succumbing to the terrorists and setting a very dangerous precedent. Next will we restructure the civil service and ask all workers to be posted to their states of origin? Then talk of businessmen, the police, military, and so on. There will be a domino effect. I think it is better to be strong and face this National challenge than to chicken out and allow them to win. Let us temporarily suspend the program while we put our house in order and even use this opportunity to better restructure the program.

2. Despite the current setback, it is not in doubt that NYSC is a key component of National integration. It allows Nigerians the best opportunity to learn about their country and fellow citizens. Even here in nairaland it is clear to see how little people from the south know about the north and vice versa.

3. It opens new opportunities as different people see things from different perspectives. I have heard amazing stories of success as direct result of NYSC. During my service year in Kaduna I met an intelligent Yoruba man who not only mastered the art of farming ginger, but also collaborated with some indigenes to teach them the trade and form a very successful ginger export company. He is not going back to his hometown ever that is for sure. I also have a relative who almost cried himself sick when he was posted to Port Harcourt many years ago. Today you will think he is a son of the soil plus he is to say the least very well established there.

(1) (Reply)

Osunonline.org: Nysc Project To Showcase Osun State's Rich Culture / Nysc Secondary Assignment Opportunities / Is Uniben Correction List Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.