Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery (50702 Views)

Dalai Lama Condemns Attacks On Muslims by Buddhist Monks / Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastry / Letter Of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Nobody: 6:25am On Apr 27, 2011
In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad (s) granted a Charter of Privileges to the monks of St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It consisted of several clauses covering all aspects of human rights including such topics as the protection of Christians, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is presented below.

This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.
No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.
The Muslims are to fight for them.
If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).

http://www.islamic-study.org/saint_catherine_monastery.htm

47 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 27, 2011
This is what ISLAM is really about not what some misguided disillusioned extremists potray it to be.

27 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by onyengbu: 6:29am On Apr 27, 2011
That is quite revealling.
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 27, 2011
I tnk dis s anoda NL dilusion! Does dis document realy exist? Den y do muslims kill christians, burn and loot churches, especialy n northern nigeria? I tnk all most islamic leaders n northern nigeria are headng straigt fo hell, fo misguidng dere folowers

7 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Dave6: 8:00am On Apr 27, 2011
@OP
Thanks a lot. I intended posting this message here on NL.
The message is being spread by True Muslims via sms and emails.

All those who would adhere to violent and hate messages issued by certain politicians and misguided imams should really review their ways.

And Muslims should stand up and challenge those who always tend to 'abuse' their religion in the name of claiming to be muslims.

5 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by 13volts(m): 8:06am On Apr 27, 2011
@ abibio. That was great. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by onyengbu: 8:08am On Apr 27, 2011
This is the real jihad. Enlighten the people and let them know it is almajiri and not ur religion that is bad!

4 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by deols(f): 8:36am On Apr 27, 2011
@op, can u pls provide the reference to ds?

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Thatdave(m): 8:46am On Apr 27, 2011
uptill now no imam has denounced the northern blood shed as unislamic. giving references to the quran. on national news paper or television! the true muslims are afraid. those to wage the true jihad have no balls. 4uk islam.

8 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by gists: 8:52am On Apr 27, 2011
deols:

@op, can u pls provide the reference to ds?
@deols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0SsRmC6O5k

onye_ngbu*:

This is the real jihad. Enlighten the people and let them know it is almajiri and not your religion that is bad!
@onye_ngbu
The problem is 99.99% of Nigerian christians especially the ones on nairaland have made up their mind on what they want to think about Islam. No matter what you say or prove you show have little to no effect. But their is no harm in continuing to try for people who have the true knowledge, persuading skill and patience. The likes of myself have given up on them and whatever, they choose to believe is their cup of tea.

21 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Jaideyone(m): 9:25am On Apr 27, 2011
^^churches were burnt and xtians killed and the people responsible call themselves muslims and they claim to be fighting for islam. It's nt jst wat we chose 2 believe. It's wat is happening.

34 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by gists: 9:30am On Apr 27, 2011
Jaidey-one:

^^churches were burnt and xtians killed and the people responsible call themselves muslims and they claim to be fighting for islam. It's nt jst wat we chose 2 believe. It's wat is happening.

And mosques were not touched and non-christian southerners were spared abi? Sounds like you are only concerned about your brethren and not human life generally. And don't know that there are christian northerners killing muslims too.

19 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by maclatunji: 10:21am On Apr 27, 2011
Have we not always told you that the problem we have in Nigeria is failure of Political leadership? However, I think some Christians prefer the picture of the Almajiri as the poster boys for Islam because it makes them feel better about themselves. Unfortunately, they are just helping to misinform already misinformed Children who do not know what Islam is all about with dire consequences of course.

Lesson: Do not spread hate of any individual or group lest that hate boomerangs to consume you. You can be firm and not tolerate depravity but do it for the purpose of maintaining law and order and not just for the reason of hate!

15 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by gists: 10:32am On Apr 27, 2011
@maclatunji
Just watchout what some irrational, hate spreading xtians will say shortly even after reading the message. They are very annoyingly predictable

6 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Bassey131: 10:36am On Apr 27, 2011
Try these:

www.cyberistan.org/islamic/charter1.html

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtiname_of_Muhammad

www.paklinks.com/, /488968-prophet-muhammads-pbuh-letter-to-monks-of -st-catherine-monastery.html

www.yursil.com/, /prophet-muhammad-as-letter-to-the-monks-of-st- catherine-monastery/ -

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by tpia5: 11:18am On Jan 13, 2013
gists:
Just watchout what some irrational, hate spreading xtians will say shortly even after reading the message. They are very annoyingly predictable

yet there are no replies, hidden posts or deletions after your allegation.

hope you learned something about tolerance.

also about not being on the same page with people.

12 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by tpia5: 11:21am On Jan 13, 2013
btw, not sure why this isnt in muslim section.
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Ngwakwe: 11:58am On Jan 13, 2013
On whose authority was he issuing those orders seeing that Sinah is in Africa and he came from Arabia to command the people who he believed was also serving the One God

See Conquest and Colonialism of the first order.

1 Like

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by uromicom: 1:12pm On Jan 13, 2013
must arab people get bear bear me don tıre for all these mallam face self grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by talk2D: 1:14pm On Jan 13, 2013
Nairaland i hail o
Why would u bring a post of April 2011 to us on January 13,2013(a Sunday).Anyway,
Glory be to God
I love all religion of peace & love.
God is LOVE.
Shout out to the Christian,Muslim,Jewish,Buddah and many more.
Just do good to ur fellow brothers and sisters.

8 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by zangiff(m): 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
if so, then why the hatred on christians ?

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by SlyIg(f): 1:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
Nigerian's Islamic Religion is no longer what their Mohammed and Allah want them to do but what the Northern leaders like Buhari, IBB and the likes want them to do.
Naija Islam had been adultrated since...
Pure Islamic is only practised outside Naija.
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Pacesetter2: 1:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
gists:

And mosques were not touched and non-christian southerners were spared abi? Sounds like you are only concerned about your brethren and not human life generally. And don't know that there are christian northerners killing muslims too.
Can you tell the percentage?...muslim killings are mainly reprisal orinavoidable for them...dont know if you get my point

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by TeeSeven(m): 1:21pm On Jan 13, 2013
This just goes to show that islam is undoubtedly the most self-contradictory, irrational and confused ideology on the face of the planet.
Islamabad indeed
smh.

19 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by tpia5: 1:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
talk2D: Nairaland i hail o
Why would u bring a post of April 2011 to us on January 13,2013(a Sunday).
Glory be to God
I love all religion of peace & love.
God is LOVE.

Just browsing and reminding my muslim brethren of these things.

Didnt need to open a new thread when this was already there.

1 Like

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by talk2D: 1:25pm On Jan 13, 2013
tpia@:

Just browsing and reminding my muslim brethren of these things.

Didnt need to open a new thread when this was already there.
It's no prb.I'm a Christian and i love the Happy Muslims.Enjoy ur weekend.

1 Like

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Arysexy(m): 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
This goes to show that they were persecuting xtians and non-muslims. No smoke without fire! Muhamed can not wake up and start sending letter to the Monks. Possibly the muslims were persecuting them and destroying their places of worship and d monks wrote him before this reply. Still shows the intolerance of muslims even in the era of muhamed.

13 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2013
One question.. Why then do the muslims hate d christian so much? (Boko haram intention, if u change religion you're a goner)

In my opinion, its propaganda or to save face-probably deceit. That's my opinion and I may b wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by tpia5: 1:28pm On Jan 13, 2013
talk2D:
It's no prb.I'm a Christian and i love the Happy Muslims.Enjoy ur weekend.

What's a happy muslim?

Enjoy yours also,
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Kingslaw(m): 1:29pm On Jan 13, 2013
What are we then talking about? Which everway,happy sunday to all the Christian and Muslims all over the world! One love and unity is all we need.

2 Likes

Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 13, 2013
Are you it was Muhammad that wrote that?
So who introduced Jihad?
Re: Prophet Muhammad's Letter To The Monks Of St. Catherine Monastery by Kingslaw(m): 1:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
kiss[color=#006600][/color]

all the muslims say "I hear"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Three American Lecturers In Atiku's University Convert To Islam In Adamawa. PICS / Baptist College Changed Dress Code To Accomodate Hijab In Australia / Man Beaten For Sleeping Unclad In A Mosque And Using Quran As Pillow (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.