Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? (3750 Views)

THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 / Welcome To The Village Where They Drink The Same Water With Goats (PHOTO) / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by redsun(m): 9:39pm On Apr 27, 2011
Why are alcohol and cigarette not part of the vices of nigerian women?Unlike other women in the other parts of the world,even closer home,southern africa where drinking and smoking among women is just as normal and outrageous as of men.

I am sure the reason why we have less disable birth in nigeria even with the porous pregnancy and maternity care is because on relative terms,women don't expose their unborn babies to the dangers of alcohol and cigarette.

Nigerian children are always very healthy at birth even with the poverty and hopelessness.It is only when they are born that they are expose to man made(establishment)dangers that kills most them at high rates,infant mortality.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by toyemz(f): 9:45pm On Apr 27, 2011
@poster

generalising statement oh

some nigerian women drink and some nigerian women smoke
some nigerian women drink and smoke
while some nigerian women do neither

depends on what catches one's fancy
my take
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BloodShed1: 9:48pm On Apr 27, 2011
I don't know ANY Nigerian woman anywhere, be it in Nigeria, here (UK) or in America that smokes or drinks.

And that's probably the only good thing I see in Nigerian women generally.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by redsun(m): 10:00pm On Apr 27, 2011
It is not part of nigerian women social agenda to drink and smoke,unlike what you have here in england,even among southern african women here,alcohol and smoking are things they look forward to.

Does not drinking make nigerian women less romantic,adventurous and wild?Because alcohol can change moods and make women go wild sometimes.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BloodShed1: 10:02pm On Apr 27, 2011
You like women that smoke

That's the most unattractive thing a woman can do. smoking is just, URGH,
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by toyemz(f): 10:05pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^^
wow
are you guys serious?
I swear i grew up knowing some women drowning Guinness at functions and that is in Nigeria!
smoking yes, but not openly and a very minute percentage
pls you guys girls do smoke and drink in Nigeria ,it is no longer a  strange thing

it exists
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BABE3: 10:07pm On Apr 27, 2011
Me I drink o cheesy--- I mean I don't get drunk, but I love drinks (NUVO kiss)! I don't do shots and all. That one pass my power.

oK so, Nigerian women (in general) don't drink and smoke because, most of "us" weren't brought that way.

In Nigerian culture (in general), we find drinking and smoking repulsive, in relative to the western culture!
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by Phate07(m): 10:14pm On Apr 27, 2011

Nigerian girls DO smoke and drink. Fact!
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BloodShed1: 10:18pm On Apr 27, 2011
I've never seen Nigerian girls smoke in person, only in movies/tv.

Smoking is freaking nasty though, I don't see why anybody does it at all. As for drinking, yeah, but I've never seen a Nigerian woman just go all out like some of the women over here.

I mean, there are enough things wrong with most of them already HAHAHAHA!!
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by AndreUweh(m): 11:27pm On Apr 27, 2011
Phate07:

Nigerian girls DO smoke and drink. Fact!

Thet don't, those that do are less than 1%. In the U.K, the few Nigerians that are involved in this shameful attitude are the U.K born Nigerians.
In Nigeria, most who smoke are found in the hotels and clubs.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by chiogo(f): 11:35pm On Apr 27, 2011
^^ Hehe, where else do people go to smoke and drink? ==> clubs, bars. .

@topic, umm I've seen grown women, mothers too back home who drink, mostly beer though. Smoking. . .maybe not.
Over here, anyone who parties(a lot) drinks. FACT. grin So, you'd have to go to such settings - parties, clubs, etc to see. But I'd say naija girls don't get piss-drunk as is the norm here, probably the culture thing. Some are just careful 'cause word gets around esp. in places with a high concentration of Nigerians.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by tpia5: 11:44pm On Apr 27, 2011
Lets get a few things straight here.

Poster, the fact that somewhere along the line, you popped out of a nigerian woman's lower end, doesnt give you the right to open your sh1tty mouth anyhow and start saying "nigerian women".

Ok?

Face your blasted front and ignoble future and consider your lineage cut off from anything to do with nigerian women, kapish?

No be america you dey? Consider yourself a black american and do not let your frigging balls ever jump in your mouth to say "nigerian women".
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by Nobody: 12:11am On Apr 28, 2011
redsun:

Why are alcohol and cigarette not part of the vices of nigerian women?Unlike other women in the other parts of the world,even closer home,southern africa where drinking and smoking among women is just as normal and outrageous as of men.

I am sure the reason why we have less disable birth in nigeria even with the porous pregnancy and maternity care is because on relative terms,women don't expose their unborn babies to the dangers of alcohol and cigarette.

Nigerian children are always very healthy at birth even with the poverty and hopelessness.It is only when they are born that they are expose to man made(establishment)dangers that kills most them at high rates,infant mortality.

are u for real?? first off nigeria has one of the highest death rate among children under 5 in the world, more women statistically die in childbirth than anywhere else in the world apart from India. Disabled children ummmmmmmmm that could be cos they are dumped in orphanages and shunned by family members - don't get it twisted abeg.

Nigerian women drink, i have seen many nigerian women (born and bred in naija) drinking.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by denzel2009: 12:20am On Apr 28, 2011
Blood_Shed:

I don't know ANY Nigerian woman anywhere, be it in Nigeria, here (UK) or in America that smokes or drinks.

And that's probably the only good thing I see in Nigerian women generally.

Duh, Tonto Dike's oesophagus is like a coal chimney.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BloodShed1: 1:15am On Apr 28, 2011
denzel2009:

Duh, Tonto Dike's oesophagus is like a coal chimney.

Really? Didn't even know she smoked.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by BloodShed1: 1:19am On Apr 28, 2011
chiogo:

^^ Hehe, where else do people go to smoke and drink? ==> clubs, bars. .

@topic, umm I've seen grown women, mothers too back home who drink, mostly beer though. Smoking. . .maybe not.
Over here, anyone who parties(a lot) drinks. FACT. grin So, you'd have to go to such settings - parties, clubs, etc to see. But I'd say naija girls don't get piss-drunk as is the norm here, probably the culture thing. Some are just careful 'cause word gets around esp. in places with a high concentration of Nigerians.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Even in clubs and bars I've been to, I've never seen a Nigerian girl smoke, not once. I did take that into consideration you know, so don't insult me, please. Of course people drink at bars and clubs but I've never seen a Naija woman get absolutely wasted drunk before.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by bokohalal(m): 1:27am On Apr 28, 2011
Northern Nigerian women smoke more than the women down south.The reverse is the case for drinking alcohol.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by denzel2009: 1:30am On Apr 28, 2011
Blood_Shed:

Really? Didn't even know she smoked.
Yep, she smokes with every orifice she's got.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by nanidee(f): 2:50am On Apr 29, 2011
@ OP, your generalization is not correct.

You may be right to say most Nigerian women you have come across neither drink nor smoke, but to generalise this is going a bit too far, because the truth is that there exist a fair number of Nigerian women who drink and smoke.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by redsun(m): 11:15pm On Apr 29, 2011
Of course i am not generalizing.I mean on average,on relative terms with what you have in a fast pace society like britain,women have gone crazy.

Alcohol consumption and smoking among women in britain are just as bad they are in men,they are health hazards,killing many people annually and costing the health service and the system in general billions of pounds annually.

I can't think any of my female relatives that drinks and i have so many of them,for real.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:51pm On Apr 29, 2011
lol

People are fighting stereotypes just for the sake of fighting a stereotype, even when the stereotype is positive.

I guess that might be a good thing. Generalizations should usually be avoided.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by tpia5: 12:41am On Apr 30, 2011
I believe what people are fighting is this drug addicted demon of a poster, not necessarily any sh1t he types.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by redsun(m): 12:51am On Apr 30, 2011
tpia,you are way deep in dark to accept the facts of life,a true reflectiion of nigeria itself,living in denial for the sake of the fear of truth and analysis.

tpia@:

I believe what people are fightingis this drug addicted demon of a poster, not necessarily any sh1t he types.

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 01, 2011
@Poster,
Have you ever lived in Northern Nigeria,where lots of Women smoke cigarettes openly.
Down South Women consume a lot of alcohol openly.
For you to say you have NEVER seen a Nigerian girl/woman that smokes makes me conclude you are a wind up merchant.
Good day.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by kieryn(f): 4:32am On May 02, 2011
I drink at least three to four times a week. But to smoke i would be consider an ashawo so that one i wont try.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Women Drink And Smoke? by chiogo(f): 1:19am On May 03, 2011
Blood_Shed:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Even in clubs and bars I've been to, I've never seen a Nigerian girl smoke, not once. I did take that into consideration you know, so don't insult me, please. Of course people drink at bars and clubs but I've never seen a Naija woman get absolutely wasted drunk before.
My post was def. to the person above me. And we're saying the same thing. . .mostly.

(1) (Reply)

Eku'le Ati E K'aabo / Witch Caught In Benin City / See Why This Nigerian Man Married His Own Mother.. The Reason Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.