Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! (1978 Views)

Ooni Of Ogunwusi's Sisters At The Burial Of Their Grandmother / Olori Of Ife, Wuraola Pictured With Her Sisters-in-inlaw / What Are You? Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by amat: 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2007
hi all this is urgent ,please can someone tell me how to say '' u mean the world to me '' in ibo language ,i am a yoruba babe dating an ibo guy cool cool cool cool
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by ghettochyk(f): 6:58pm On Jul 13, 2007
why can't you just say it in English?

anyways, i don't think the meaning would be exactly the same or even make sense if you say it in Igbo.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by cuteass1(f): 8:14pm On Jul 13, 2007
amat:

hi all this is urgent ,please can someone tell me how to say '' u mean the world to me '' in ibo language ,i am a yoruba babe dating an ibo guy cool cool cool cool

EEya, what a touching gesture. Hope your boyfriend appreciates the length you went just to put a smile on his face. That's what i all love, keep it up dear. And do not hesitate to return with another question if you got one, we'll always be at your beck and call wink

As regards your question, "you mean the world to me", cannot be directly translated to Igbo, but to get real close, you could say "I bu uwam" [/b]which literally means [b]"you're my world"

*remember the "I" in the sentence should be pronounced as an "E" in english and not the english "I" when you're referring to yourself.

I wish you both luck!! cheesy

ghettochyk:

why can't you just say it in English?

Hey sis, no need to go all offensive on the girl, its a free world and I guess that means she has the right to express herself in whatever language she damn pleases.

Afterall people learn spanish for fun, their english speaking ability still intact wink I personally find her request a cute one!!
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by initiator(m): 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2007
Wow i wish i had a girl like u amat. I think 'ibu uwam' would do like earlier advised.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by initiator(m): 9:52pm On Jul 13, 2007
Wow i wish i had a girl like u amat. I think 'ibu uwam' would do like earlier advised.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by ghettochyk(f): 1:34am On Jul 14, 2007
cute-ass:

Hey sis, no need to go all offensive on the girl, its a free world and I guess that means she has the right to express herself in whatever language she damn pleases.

so you call that "going all offensive on the girl"? did i deny her of any rights? hmm, ok.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by cuteass1(f): 1:55am On Jul 14, 2007
ghettochyk:

so you call that "going all offensive on the girl"? did i deny her of any rights? hmm, ok.

It seemed you didnt approve of her wanting to know how its being said in igbo . . but i guess i coulda misunderstood you, sorry if thats the case, wasn't my intention wink
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by ghettochyk(f): 9:55pm On Jul 15, 2007
cute-ass:

It seemed you didnt approve of her wanting to know how its being said in igbo . . but i guess i coulda misunderstood you, sorry if thats the case, wasn't my intention wink
no problem. I wuda also suggested "I wu uwa m" but I was skeptical if it would have the same effect as it does in English. Well, now dat she got it, it would also be nice if she could find an Igbo person to pronounce it for her in person so she cud say it the right way.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by darfur(m): 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2007
@ amat

you can tell him "bia ebe a ekwensu a"  cheesy  it means . . . ."my life i owe to you"  cheesy  best wishes cheesy
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by chiogo(f): 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2007
lmao.

@topic, u can tell him another one which is similar to cute-ass', "I bu ifenine n choro" means "u are everything i want"
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by cuteass1(f): 5:59am On Jul 16, 2007
darfur:

@ amat

you can tell him "bia ebe a ekwensu a"  cheesy  it means . . . ."my life i owe to you"  cheesy  best wishes cheesy

angry Very not-so-funny suggestion . . she's not Igbo remember, such jokes are too expensive.

Dear @ poster, what he suggested means "come here, you satan" grin

ghettochyk:

no problem. I wuda also suggested "I wu uwa m" but I was skeptical if it would have the same effect as it does in English. Well, now that she got it, it would also be nice if she could find an Igbo person to pronounce it for her in person so she cud say it the right way.

You're absolutely right wink
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by initiator(m): 2:58pm On Jul 16, 2007
@ darfur,
am holding my ribs.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by darfur(m): 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2007
@poster,
ibo is not uniform. what i gave you is from my dialect cheesy these other ibos are not from my village. in my village, bia ebe a ekwensu a means i owe my life to you. . . .hoha
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jul 16, 2007
Hmm, even I know 'Ekwensu' means devil / satan?
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by Tats(m): 4:19pm On Jul 16, 2007
Siena:

Hmm, even I know 'Ekwensu' means devil / satan?

I know that too. Suprised no igbo person has written about @Darfur's post  grin
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by amat: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2007
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLIES ,THEY WERE REALLY SWEET,CUTE ASS AND CHIOGO THANKS SO MUCH ,I CALLED HIM UP YESTERDAY AND TOLD HIM ''I BU U WAM '' AND HE WAS SO HAPPY ,I COULD FEEL THE SMILES COMING FROM HIM .THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
I REALLY LOVE THIS GUY AND CONTRARY TO WHAT I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT IBO GUYS ,HE IS SO SO SO SO SO COOL.
DARFUR ,THAT WASN'T A NICE ONE ,I THINK YOU SHOULD ENCOUAGE INTERTRIBAL RELATIONSHIP RATHER THAT DISS IT.
CUTE-ASS AND CHIOGO ,THIS IS TO U SISTERS kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss.
TAKE CARE I WOULDN'T HESISTATE TO MAIL YOU IF I NEED MORE HELP.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by darfur(m): 11:39am On Jul 17, 2007
@amat
this is sexism angry . is it b/c i'm male that you refused to acknowledge my contribution to ur ibo studies? i gave you what i know from my own dialect and u just went ahead to diss me and my dialect. this is why we ibos are never united. my fellow ibos have dissed my dialect and have told amat that i am being mischeivious whereas i was just trying to help by introducing another version of ibo

those guys are not from my village. go to my village and you'll see our own dialect grin
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by toshmann(m): 6:38pm On Jul 18, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin i go die o o o o this darfur guy must be crazy

chei, abegi grin
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by cuteass1(f): 11:21pm On Jul 18, 2007
Tats:

I know that too. Suprised no igbo person has written about @Darfur's post grin

I did dear, just scroll up a l'il bit and pay more attention this time wink

amat:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLIES ,THEY WERE REALLY SWEET,CUTE ASS AND CHIOGO THANKS SO MUCH ,I CALLED HIM UP YESTERDAY AND TOLD HIM ''I BU You WAM '' AND HE WAS SO HAPPY ,I COULD FEEL THE SMILES COMING FROM HIM .THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
I REALLY LOVE THIS GUY AND CONTRARY TO WHAT I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT IBO GUYS ,HE IS SO SO SO SO SO COOL.
DARFUR ,THAT WASN'T A NICE ONE ,I THINK YOU SHOULD ENCOUAGE INTERTRIBAL RELATIONSHIP RATHER THAT DISS IT.
CUTE-ASS AND CHIOGO ,THIS IS TO You SISTERS kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss.
TAKE CARE I WOULDN'T HESISTATE TO MAIL YOU IF I NEED MORE HELP.

You're very welcome dear! Just ask, and we'll be running at your service. Hope things work out for both of you just fine, take care cheesy
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by chiogo(f): 11:57pm On Jul 18, 2007
@Amat, u're welcome, girl. anytime.
Re: Help My Ibo Brothers And Sisters ! by Soundmind(m): 11:26am On Jul 25, 2007
You may not get the exact meaning of that in Igbo language but will get alot very close to that in English.
U mean the whole world to me - I bu uwa m
- So gi ka m nwere n'uwa
- Na gi ka uwa m jedebere

wdz ( we diri gabazie) - an so on

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Language And Outdated Numerology / Photos From Sultan Of Sokoto's 10th Anniversary / Anambra Is The Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.