Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

(diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now - Satellite TV Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now (134827 Views)

Latest Tech Multi LNB Satellite Dish (FTA) More Than 150 Free Channels / Dish Sizes For Diff. Satellites Receivable Within The West African Sub Region / Installing A Motorised Satellite Dish System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by dodos(f): 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2011
@ all its amazing the extent to which this thread has grown over the past few days

@ sword

Thanks a million for the invitation to see the project. Was not available yesterday so could not make it. Hope to the next time you send out the invite. Hope all went well. Congratulations and like i said before you guys are showing us the way.

@ newton

Thanks for the formula. It really made light work of the whole calculations. Thanks once again for your response.

@ geometry, sword and newton

I dont think i missed it but none of you talked of the length of the tripod. Is it that one has to use the pythagoras theorem to calculate this since one has the radius, depth and focal point? You see my fear is pythagoras always is a right angled triangle but this is not due to the lnb holder which is circular and therefore prevents it from being a complete triangle.

Hope my point is clear. I await your guidance.
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by swordswifter: 7:57am On Jun 07, 2011
geometry:

@ swordswifter,
from your parameters and properties, your dish seems to be made of metal, i believe that answer the reason for the magnitude of your f/D ratio, 1.02.[ very high] 'fabrication convenience' !. then, if i may ask, how many sections, if you are working on a metal dish.
plz, let me know,  it might help.
goodluck !
@Geometry,
It's of 6 sections.
geometry:

@ swordswifter,
you care for a chat ?. I will be happy to talk to you. Personally.
Thank you.
@Geometry
Sure my brother.I would love to have a chat with you.Send me a mail through this email address so i can give you my correct details.The address is: mens.eric@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by dodos(f): 12:24pm On Jun 07, 2011
geometry:

@ Newtonn,
your tripod = 167.6cm long.
your focal lengh = 123.1cm.
Goodluck ! grin

@ all

I am trying to figure everything out myself now. Anyway am not convinced of the above figure for the tripod. If it is pythagoras you used and did not approximate any value leading to your answer then i think the value for the tripod is wrong. Can you prove me wrong. My calculations which i have rechecked says it should be 175.0863 which i have now approximated to 175.1cm.

Can u prove otherwise.

My parameters were

Focal length : 123.1 cm
Radius : 160 cm

Now remember his depth was 52 cm so take that out of the 123.1 : (123.1 - 52) cm = 71.1 cm

Now using pythagoras: (71.1) squared + (160) squared = (the length of the tripod) squared

Now the length of the tripod = square root of {(71.1) squared + (160) squared}

= 175.0863 cm
approximately = 175.1 cm

Thanks
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by twinskenny(m): 5:48pm On Jun 07, 2011
Nawaoo this is like a maths class
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 10:07pm On Jun 07, 2011
dodos:

@ all

I am trying to figure everything out myself now. Anyway am not convinced of the above figure for the tripod. If it is pythagoras you used and did not approximate any value leading to your answer then i think the value for the tripod is wrong. Can you prove me wrong. My calculations which i have rechecked says it should be 175.0863 which i have now approximated to 175.1cm.

Can u prove otherwise.

My parameters were

Radius : 160 cm

Now remember his depth was 52 cm so take that out of the 123.1 : (123.1 - 52) cm = 71.1 cm

Now using pythagoras: (71.1) squared + (160) squared = (the length of the tripod) squared

= 175.0863 cm
approximately = 175.1 cm

Thanks

hmmm, from what geometry posted, its not easy to get the tripod length,
what to do is to measure ur focal distance form ur dish and cut off the tripod rods.
simple

1 Like

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 10:25pm On Jun 07, 2011
dodos:

@ all

I am trying to figure everything out myself now.  Anyway am not convinced of the above figure for the tripod.  If it is pythagoras you used and did not approximate any value leading to your answer then i think the value for the tripod is wrong.  Can you prove me wrong.  My calculations which i have rechecked says it should be 175.0863 which i have now approximated to 175.1cm.

Can u prove otherwise.

My parameters were

Radius         : 160 cm

= 175.0863 cm
approximately                        = 175.1 cm

Thanks

hmmm, from what geometry posted, its not easy to get the tripod length,
what to do is to measure ur focal distance form ur dish and cut off the tripod rods.
simple
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2011
@ dodos,

you all have not taken to my warning about not going by the THEORY, i mean the diagram that i referred to as theory. I STATED that we should stick to the ACTUAL, the diagram referred to as actual. compare the two diagrams and you will see the reason you not arriving at my answer.
Even when i made a mistake of saying 'stick with the theory' which i latter corrected almost immediately , that we should go by 'actual'.
the values you have arrived at are from THEORY.
THE DIFFERENCE;
SIMPLY DEDUCT THE VALUE OF SCALAR RING FROM YOUR RADIUS BEFORE SQUARING IN YOUR PYTHAGORAS FORMULA. embarassed
LETS GO! wink
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 12:24am On Jun 08, 2011
@ newtonn.

tripod squared = (focal length - depth) squared + (dish radius - scalar ring radius)squared,,,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 12:33am On Jun 08, 2011
@ Dodos

swordswifter's tripod length is within the neighborhood of 259.28 cm wink
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by dodos(f): 10:51am On Jun 08, 2011
geometry:

@ dodos,

you all have not taken to my warning about not going by the THEORY, i mean the diagram that i referred to as theory. I STATED that we should stick to the ACTUAL, the diagram referred to as actual. compare the two diagrams and you will see the reason you not arriving at my answer.
Even when i made a mistake of saying 'stick with the theory' which i latter corrected almost immediately , that we should go by 'actual'.
the values you have arrived at are from THEORY.
THE DIFFERENCE;
SIMPLY DEDUCT THE VALUE OF SCALAR RING FROM YOUR RADIUS BEFORE SQUARING IN YOUR PYTHAGORAS FORMULA. embarassed
LETS GO! wink 

Thanks geometry. I have been able to work it out correctly.

That point about making use of the actual and not the theory has now sunk well

Thanks bro grin grin grin grin
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 7:24pm On Jun 08, 2011

remember pythagoras theorem ?
consider the two diagrams ; i.e theory and actual. stick to the theory. it gives you the actual tripod length with just little adjustment to actual focal length of your parabola [dish:

pytagoras states that; the square of the longest side (h^2 ) of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the rest two sides
( a^2 + b^2 ) . i.e h^ = a^2 + b^2
in the case of the represented diagram ,

h = t,
a = line CB,
c = line AB
FOR CLARITY SAKE, in the actual diagram, there is a value for s , which is the radius of the scalar ring. the same value goes for ku- band lnb holder as indicated in the diagram.
by using my vernier calipers i got scalar ring diameter to be 16.5cm i.e the radius comes to 8.25cm which is (s)
hence; (a) = line CB = radius of the dish - s . i.e [DIAMETER/2] - 8.25CM.
(C) = line AB = focal length - x. i.e f - DEPTH, = f - x,

don't forget x represents how deep your dish is.

Newtonn, do you see why u need to measure your dish depth ?

@geometry,
my question how do you come about 8.25cm for scalar ring?
is 8.25cm the standard size for all scalar rings?
ralph
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 8:19pm On Jun 08, 2011
@ Newtonn, Newtonn, Newtonn.

i have called you three times now !
oya, take your tape and try to measure the diameter of a c-band scalar ring and tell me what value you get. since your calculation is based on the half of it , you divide what you get as diameter by two.
i am repeating this again, 'when i used my vernier calipers i got the diameter of c-band scalar ring to be 16.5cm.'
dividing this figure by two , what do you have ?
in my own case i got half of 16.5cm to be 8.25cm. let us know what you have.
now go to illustrated diagram again, stick with the 'actual', and that is what makes the difference.
i am very sure by now you are laughing.!!!
lol. grin
JUST TAKE YOUR TIME TO WORK ON THE 'ACTUAL' DIAGRAM, HAVE A CRITICAL LOOK AT IT AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT AND HOW DODOS HAS OVER COME THIS SAME PROBLEM.
CHEERS.
BY THE WAY, YOUR CALCULATION SEQUENCE LOOKS VERY GOOD, JUST BEAT THAT OBSTACLE, NOW!
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 8:57pm On Jun 08, 2011
geometry:

@ Newtonn, Newtonn, Newtonn.

i have called you three times now !
oya, take your tape and try to measure the diameter of a c-band scalar ring and tell me what value you get. since your calculation is based on the half of it , you divide what you get as diameter by two.
i am repeating this again, 'when i used my vernier calipers i got the diameter of c-band scalar ring to be 16.5cm.'
dividing this figure by two , what do you have ?
in my own case i got half of 16.5cm to be 8.25cm. let us know what you have.
now go to illustrated diagram again, stick with the 'actual', and that is what makes the difference.
i am very sure by now you are laughing.!!!
lol. grin
JUST TAKE YOUR TIME TO WORK ON THE 'ACTUAL' DIAGRAM, HAVE A CRITICAL LOOK AT IT AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT AND HOW DODOS HAS OVER COME THIS SAME PROBLEM.
CHEERS.
BY THE WAY, YOUR CALCULATION SEQUENCE LOOKS VERY GOOD, JUST BEAT THAT OBSTACLE, NOW!
yeah have over-come my since but am just confuse for 4d scalar ring, cos, i went to a dish maker @my area to buy a LNB holder and what he gave me was local made. have not measure it oooooooooo, i will post the picture of the LNB holder and the measurement of it.
thks
ralph
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2011
@ Newtonn,

to determine an equivalent half the diameter of scalar ring, you measure from the center of the hole on one of the three arms to hold the tripods, to the center of the ring for the lnb. the value should be somehow close to 8.25cm. try it .
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 11:12pm On Jun 08, 2011
that is a measurement on the locally made lnb holder.,,,though there are errors associated with locally made lnb holder are numerous. 1] imperfect lnb position ring. 2] imperfect spacing of the holder arms on the ring. 3] non planar array of the holder arms. and on and on and on.,,,,,,
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by swordswifter: 10:45am On Jun 10, 2011
@Geometry,
What is the essence of the f/D in relation to dish manufacturing and satellite frequencies.*I mean does it have any significance since when you find the focal point,you've found it*
PS: The email i posted earlier was just to allow me get into contact with you so i can send you the details of the other links where you and i can talk freely.I'm still waiting for your mail.Thanks!
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 8:14pm On Jun 10, 2011
@ swordswifter,

f/D ratio is quite important in the designing of a satellite antenna, [dish].; it describes how deep or shallow your your dish is. there are values attach to different purposes for which an antenna is meant. it is the factor that describe the illumination method adopted in the antenna service life. there are different illumination methods for various reasons. i.e to guide against the interference from the ground [ground noise] or ground temperature.
i.e a too flat a dish would accept more ground noise than a deeper dish, while a dish that is too deep would not allow full illumination,,,and that is why we cut lnb especially for Out of-Foot- Print-Signals. because we are looking for a situation to fully bring larger percent of the converged signal to the lnb throat, apart from exposing the probes,.,,,here we are literally explaining 'beam angle'. some would call it apex angle and the rests. but then, the simplest way to understand this is to imaging your lnb to be a torch light placed at the focal point, facing downward, the light from it now is expect to throw light upon the surface of the dish, remember your focal length is fixed, hence, the position of the torch is fixed, adjust the beam so as to cover the entire surface of the dish. this is the lay-man explanation of antenna ILLUMINATION, in visualization, one could reason it out that the further away the torch the easier it is to get the surface illuminated by the torch, and the more difficult it is for a touch too close to the surface to illuminate the dish surface.
From research results, it has being established that there is a critical value of f/D ratio for critical antenna illumination, ,,,and the value is 0.41 . I HAVE EXPERIMENTED THIS VALUE ,AND FOR REASONS, ADOPTED VALEUS LITTLE BIT BELOW AND ABOVE IT WITH VERY VERY GOOD RESULTS. i.e 0.39, 0.4, 0.42 and the extreem i have gone was 0.45. though i experimented 0.6 f/D before but not for TVRO, satellite tv.
i advice anybody in the house to choose 0.4 f/D ratio ,it worked for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by swordswifter: 10:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
geometry:

@ swordswifter,

f/D ratio is quite important in the designing of a satellite antenna, [dish].; it describes how deep or shallow your your dish is. there are values attach to different purposes for which an antenna is meant. it is the factor that describe the illumination method adopted in the antenna service life. there are different illumination methods for various reasons. i.e to guide against the interference from the ground [ground noise] or ground temperature.
i.e a too flat a dish would accept more ground noise than a deeper dish, while a dish that is too deep would not allow full illumination,,,and that is why we cut lnb especially for Out of-Foot- Print-Signals. because we are looking for a situation to fully bring larger percent of the converged signal to the lnb throat, apart from exposing the probes,.,,,here we are literally explaining 'beam angle'. some would call it apex angle and the rests. but then, the simplest way to understand this is to imaging your lnb to be a torch light placed at the focal point, facing downward,  the light from it now is expect to throw light upon the surface of the dish, remember your focal length is fixed, hence, the position of the torch is fixed, adjust the beam so as to cover the entire surface of the dish. this is the lay-man explanation of antenna ILLUMINATION, in visualization, one could reason it out that the further away the torch the easier it is to get the surface illuminated by the torch, and the more difficult it is for a touch too close to the surface to illuminate the dish surface.
From research results, it has being established that there is a critical value of f/D ratio for critical antenna illumination, ,,,and the value is 0.41  . I HAVE EXPERIMENTED THIS VALUE ,AND FOR REASONS, ADOPTED VALEUS LITTLE BIT BELOW AND ABOVE IT WITH VERY VERY GOOD RESULTS. i.e 0.39, 0.4, 0.42 and the extreem i have gone was 0.45. though i experimented 0.6 f/D before but not for TVRO, satellite tv.
i advice anybody in the house to choose 0.4 f/D ratio ,it worked for me.
@Geometry,
Thank you very much my brother.I'll still put my questions here so that many others can benefit.Thank you.*When i'm done with "THE PROJECT"-God willing,i think i'll start working on how to convert mesh dishes into semi-solid dishes.It's just an idea.I hope it becomes a reality*
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 7:29pm On Jun 11, 2011
geometry:

@ Newtonn,

to determine an equivalent half the diameter of scalar ring, you measure from the center of the hole on one of the three arms to hold the tripods, to the center of the ring for the lnb. the value should be somehow close to 8.25cm. try it .

@geometry,
thks very much, u are right.
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2011
@geometry,
here are my setup, kindly check them 4me
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 8:52pm On Jun 11, 2011
@geometry,
here are my setup, kindly check them 4me
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 9:06pm On Jun 11, 2011
@geometry,
pls see my west angle balancing rod, it was done by a local welder
look into it if their no mistake
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2011
@geometry,
from the point of the thread its 20cm long,
the tripod length was 155cm long
all together was 175cm and it's adjustable.
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 9:38pm On Jun 11, 2011
@geometry,
this the hole i wanted to mount the 3.2m dish,
i dig 1feet deep, is it OK or i should DIG more?
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by swordswifter: 11:40am On Jun 12, 2011
Newtonn:

@geometry,
this the hole i wanted to mount the 3.2m dish,
i dig 1feet deep, is it OK or i should DIG more?
thks
@Newtonn,
I can't answer the other questions for you but all i do know is any hole for mounting a big dish(specifically between 1.8m and 3.1m solid or mesh) should be 2ft to 3ft deep so that the weight or strong winds don't cause them to fall and get damaged.
@Geometry,
i've added some pictures to that particular album so you can take a look at it and tell me what you think.Thanks!
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 2:16pm On Jun 12, 2011
swordswifter:

@Newtonn,
I can't answer the other questions for you but all i do know is any hole for mounting a big dish(specifically between 1.8m and 3.1m solid or mesh) should be 2ft to 3ft deep so that the weight or strong winds don't cause them to fall and get damaged.
@Geometry,
i've added some pictures to that particular album so you can take a look at it and tell me what you think.Thanks!

@swordswifter,
thks very much, i will dig it more.
thks
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 4:24pm On Jun 12, 2011
@geometry and swordswifter,
am going for this stargold fuji LNB,,,,,,,
is it the best for my 3.2m fiber dish and will pick-up all nilesat station, both horizontal and vertical polarities?
also some of my friends says 3.2m dish will not pick abu dhabi sport station? that only 4m dish will do that?
is it true?
thks

Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 9:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
@newtonn,

sorry, i can not respond now, give me time.
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 9:34pm On Jun 12, 2011
@newtonn,

pls increase ur hole depth to 1.5ft to 2ft.
do proper cement casting , concrete
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by Newtonn(m): 9:56pm On Jun 12, 2011
geometry:

@newtonn,

pls increase your hole depth to 1.5ft to 2ft.
do proper cement casting , concrete

@geometry
ok i will do as u and swordswifter.
thks
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2011
@newtonn,
sorry for the late response,
ensure the value calculated for the tripod be the measurement of the pipe part, even before bending.
Re: (diy) Design And Fabricate Your Own Satellite Dish Of "all Sizes", Ask How.now by geometry(m): 7:07am On Jun 15, 2011
@newtonn,
your lnb selection seems the best. u can just go a head.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fta Equipment Market. Buy And Sell Fta Equipments Here / Gotv Problem (Many Missing Channels) / STARTIMES DECODER:DO U NEED HELP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.