Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Nigeria Most Influential Monarch - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch (43171 Views)

Ovie Richard Layeguen, Delta Monarch Who Reads Without Glasses / Monarch, Emmanuel Onyeike-Efeizomor, Sleeps With Snake For 5 Days / Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 7:31am On May 01, 2011
In Nigeria, the position of traditional ruler is refered, in the pre colonial era, they wield both the executive, legislative and judiciary power. In the SW, they are called 'second to god' there we have the Alafin of Oyo, Ooni of Ife, Olubadan of ibadan, Ataoja of oshogbo, olofa of offa, Oba of Lagos, Alake of Egba. In the north, we have the sultan of sokoto, emir of gwandu, lamido of adamawa, emir of zauzau, emir of kano, emir of ilorin. In the ss, we have oba of benin, nana olomu of itsekiri, olu of warri. In the se. We have obi of onithsa and others. Who among them is the most influential in term of personality, charisma, wealth, education and connection.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by ezeagu(m): 9:04pm On May 01, 2011
Sultan of Sokoto > The rest.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 6:15am On May 02, 2011
I think he excert more influence on the muslim ummah

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by vincent10(m): 6:49pm On May 02, 2011
Oba of Benin is the most influencial both in pre-colonial and post-colonial times. This was seen in IBB and Abacha's regime. Even till date he does not interfair in politics like other monarch but still honoured.

35 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 1:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
In no particular order, these monarchs stands out in Nigeria
Sultan of Sokoto
Alaafin of Oyo
Ooni Of Ife
Emir of Kano
Oba of Benin
Emir of Zauzau
Obi of Onithsa
Oba of Lagos
Lamido Adamawa
Alake of Egba
etc

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Feb 02, 2012
Their influence is only valid in their respective communities. You can't for instance compare the Obi of Onitsha to the ooni of Ife because of obvious reasons. The Yorubas respect their Obas very much but in Igboland, an Igwe is just like everyone else. The day an Igwe over steps his boundary he will be dealt with severely.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 4:25pm On Feb 02, 2012
afam4eva:

Their influence is only valid in their respective communities. You can't for instance compare the Obi of Onitsha to the ooni of Ife because of obvious reasons. The Yorubas respect their Obas very much but in Igboland, an Igwe is just like everyone else. The day an Igwe over steps his boundary he will be dealt with severely.
I believe it is the Hausas that respect their Emir more even with the yorubas they still deal with their Oba.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Afam4eva(m): 4:33pm On Feb 02, 2012
Yorubas are somewhere in between Hausas and Igbos in respecting their Obas.
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by bingbagbo(m): 6:02pm On Feb 02, 2012
nwanko kanu undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Rgp92: 9:18pm On Feb 02, 2012
Oba of benin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Ybutterfly: 5:18pm On Jun 09, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ undecided
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:04pm On Jun 09, 2012
Rgp92: Oba of benin

Respected only in Benin land....He becomes insignificant the moment he leaves Benin...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:06pm On Jun 09, 2012
olawalebabs: In no particular order, these monarchs stands out in Nigeria
Sultan of Sokoto
Alaafin of Oyo
Ooni Of Ife
Emir of Kano
Oba of Benin
Emir of Zauzau
Obi of Onithsa
Oba of Lagos
Lamido Adamawa
Alake of Egba
etc

How did you arrive at this....I bet you are a Yoruba guy..... Typical trait!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Edomaala: 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2012
olawalebabs: In no particular order, these monarchs stands out in Nigeria
Sultan of Sokoto
Alaafin of Oyo
Ooni Of Ife
Emir of Kano
Oba of Benin
Emir of Zauzau
Obi of Onithsa
Oba of Lagos
Lamido Adamawa
Alake of Egba
etc
Which Alaafin of Oyo are you talking about is it the old oyo or the new one.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by aljharem(m): 8:27pm On Jun 09, 2012
In order

Sultan of Sokoto
Ooni of Ife
Oba Benin
Alafin of Oyo
Shehu of Borno
Oba Eko
Emir of Kano
Atta of Igala
Obong of Calabar

the rest

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:27am On Jun 10, 2012
alj harem: In order

Sultan of Sokoto
Ooni of Ife
Oba Benin
Alafin of Oyo
Shehu of Borno
Oba Eko
Emir of Kano
Atta of Igala
Obong of Calabar

the rest

Very funny....I hope they ignore you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 6:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

How did you arrive at this....I bet you are a Yoruba guy..... Typical trait!!
just present your own instead of condeming others

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by HAH: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2012
if you really know monarchs in Nigeria then you know that the most respected and influencial is Alhaji Ado Bayero emir of Kano
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Abagworo(m): 3:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
Sultan of Sokoto by far. Sokoto Caliphate is the largest traditional area in West Africa under one Monarch. The rest are Chiefs of at most one or two senatorial districts. Like "Oyo", Ibadan, Ijesha, Ife, Benin, Onitsha, Zazau and Kano.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by AndreUweh(m): 8:01pm On Sep 21, 2012
The sultan to me is a religious leader just like Eze Aro and Nri. So in this case minus Sultan, it should be as follows.
Asagba of Asaba
Alafin of Oyo.
Oba of Benin.
Obi of Onitsha.
Shehu of Borno.
Tor Tiv
Etsu Nupe
Obong of Calabar
Olu of Warri.
Olubadan of Ibadan.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by tpia5: 9:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
HAH: if you really know monarchs in Nigeria then you know that the most respected and influencial is Alhaji Ado Bayero emir of Kano

that's quite possible especially given the fact that his domain is under heavy attack these days.
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by olawalebabs(m): 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2012
Any mention of Awujale of Ijebu.
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Crayola1: 3:05am On Dec 10, 2012
None. Because if they had any influence Nigeria would not be the way it is today. Maybe they are part of the problem undecided

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by Mavor: 8:42am On Dec 10, 2012
The Ooni of Ife is not a king, but a caretaker priest. The Alafin of Oyo is numero uno in Yoruba land.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by NegroNtns(m): 8:56am On Dec 10, 2012
I dont know much about the igbo monarchy and their roles...I know the titles but dont have a clue how the titles rank in terms of roles .

For example, using the ones I know.

Ooni of Ife is a Priest-King title and the overall first tier ruler of Yoruba race.

Alaafin of Oyo is the political King of the Yoruba sovereingty (not the race, only the sovereingty) and tributes from all Kings in the commonwealth must go to him.

Omo N'Oba will pay tribute to Ife but not to Oyo. Oba of Lagos must pay tribute to both Bini and Oyo.

In North, Sultan is the Priest-King of all Emirates (not the fulani race and not the hausa race....just the conquered thrones or seat of political power). Therefore, even though the Kanuris are muslims, they do not pay tribute to Sultan. All the Emirates, including Ilorin pay tribute to Sultan but the Yorubas do not.....this is why they have the Balogun.

Each Emirate is autonomous and sovereign and the Emir draws tribute from Sarki (King) of sub domains.

So to rank the monarchs as the op requests will be difficult without first understanding their roles, tiers and functions. You cannot lump a Sarki of Gumel for instance with Emir of Katsina.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by odumchi: 12:18pm On Dec 10, 2012
Andre Uweh: The sultan to me is a religious leader just like Eze Aro and Nri. So in this case minus Sultan, it should be as follows.
Asagba of Asaba
Alafin of Oyo.
Oba of Benin.
Obi of Onitsha.
Shehu of Borno.
Tor Tiv
Etsu Nupe
Obong of Calabar
Olu of Warri.
Olubadan of Ibadan.

Eze Aro is not a religious leader.
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:00pm On Dec 10, 2012
[ aquote author=odumchi]

Eze Aro is not a religious leader.[/quote]

I was gonna correct that,too....Eze Nri and the Sultan is the only are the only Kings\religious leaders we have in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns: I dont know much about the igbo monarchy and their roles...I know the titles but dont have a clue how the titles rank in terms of roles .

For example, using the ones I know.

Ooni of Ife is a Priest-King title and the overall first tier ruler of Yoruba race.

Alaafin of Oyo is the political King of the Yoruba sovereingty (not the race, only the sovereingty) and tributes from all Kings in the commonwealth must go to him.

Omo N'Oba will pay tribute to Ife but not to Oyo. Oba of Lagos must pay tribute to both Bini and Oyo.

In North, Sultan is the Priest-King of all Emirates (not the fulani race and not the hausa race....just the conquered thrones or seat of political power). Therefore, even though the Kanuris are muslims, they do not pay tribute to Sultan. All the Emirates, including Ilorin pay tribute to Sultan but the Yorubas do not.....this is why they have the Balogun.

Each Emirate is autonomous and sovereign and the Emir draws tribute from Sarki (King) of sub domains.

So to rank the monarchs as the op requests will be difficult without first understanding their roles, tiers and functions. You cannot lump a Sarki of Gumel for instance with Emir of Katsina.

Get off your high horse,Ode....Well,I'm at work right now but I will confront your post later.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Most Influential Monarch by NegroNtns(m): 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2012
odumchi:

Eze Aro is not a religious leader.

Odumchi, has your Eze term started?

Can you please educate us on the Igbo monarchs, titles, roles and tiers.

thank you. By the way, you and a few other people here are only ones I respect as Igbo and will approach to learn from. So my inquiry is a serious one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African Script / Alaafin Of Oyo Younger Wife, Ajoke Slays In Arabian Outfit / 2017 Isese Festival At Igbogbo, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.