Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,418 members, 7,808,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

I Am 30. Should I Marry Him - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Am 30. Should I Marry Him (2163 Views)

Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him / I was Locked In a Room For 7 Months and forced to marry Him: Wife tells judge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by zayzee(f): 1:34pm On May 06, 2011
The story below was written to me for publication in Business Hallmark Newspaper. She is seeking advice from readers and I thought I could also post it here and get more advice to publish in the newspaper for the troubled lady. Please read.

In a month, I will marry my fiancé of five years. I have always looked forward to marrying him but now that it is going to happen, I am really scared. Somewhere deep down, I feel I am making a big mistake because the reason why we finally have a marriage date isn’t because we sat down and planned our future but because I got pregnant.

I admit my fault in all that has happened to me. The pregnancy isn’t the only mistake I have made with Jide but I feel I have no options left and no one to help me. My family can hardly help themselves.

The beginning of our relationship was good and it was impossible not to fall in love with Jide. He was kind, loving, caring and everything I wanted in a man. He was interested in my future and helped with me get admitted into the Lagos State University to do a part time programme. Because my family lived in Badagry, I moved in with Jide as his place was closer to my school. Occasionally in the beginning, I noticed some traits I didn’t like. Jide would stay out late, girls would call him at odd hours, and when I confront him, he would get angry and pick fights with me. Later he would appease me with gifts and for a while, such incidents wouldn’t repeat themselves. At a point, I think I might have decided to turn a blind eye to the things I didn’t like, knowing that he loves me and he takes good care of me.

My relationship with other members of his family wasn’t exactly excellent, but okay. While his mother never exactly received me coldly any day, she wasn’t exactly warm. My not being Yoruba wasn’t an issue because two of her other sons where seriously involved with non Yoruba girls.

Jide, like his three brothers, do business with their mother and she gives them money. But business soon went bad and I suggested he got a job since he studied engineering but Jide refused and said his mother would not like it. I had to remind him he wasn’t getting any younger at 33 to wait for his mum to give him money before he could feed. He pushed the discussion aside and left for Abuja where he said he had a business to execute. In the eighteen months Jide stayed in Abuja, I only saw him twice when he came down for weekends to meet with his mother. In those months he was away he found little excuses to fight. Then he returned to Lagos late last year with no money and told me he was duped. We weren’t at peace because of fights and his late nights and calls from girls. What’s more, I would find huge sums of cash once in a while in his pockets and when I ask where from, he would get angry because I wasn’t supposed to find out. And in the wink of an eye, the money is all spent and he is asking me for money. I got a job that pays N20, 000 and Jide believes our future is stable on this lean salary. He visits prophets for solutions and never wants to talk about marriage because his mother asked us to hold on till she has enough money to throw a big party.

I should have ended this relationship when he was in Abuja, when it was very obvious he had side activities going on, and when my friends were telling me the writing on the wall was clear, but I didn’t because I thought of the years we have been together and how he was in the beginning. In hoping he would change, I endured the misery until I discovered I was pregnant. During the first weeks, I nursed a deep anger and resentment towards him. Now, I’m five months pregnant and we are getting married in a month time but I am scared things will only get worse. He has no job, and no intention of getting one. His mother does not talk to me and my soon to be groom plays lottery with whatever money he gets from where I don’t know. I am 30, what other options do I have?

Please, advice me.
Ese
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 1:47pm On May 06, 2011
I'll advise you to marry him. If worse comes to worst, you can always walk out, but at least your baby will have a name. Close your eyes and do if for your child.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

I'll advise you to marry him. If worse comes to worst, you can always walk out, but at least your baby will have a name. Close your eyes and do if for your child.

shocked shocked shocked

You are kidding . . . right undecided
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 2:13pm On May 06, 2011
Ujujoan:

shocked shocked shocked

You are kidding . . . right undecided

Not! Women in worse situations have married the man!! This guy is bad news but he fathered her pregnancy and that baby needs a name! Trust me, single motherhood is a bad place. At least a separated/divorced mother doesn't sound so bad and the child gets to keep his dad's name! He/she will thank his mother one day for the sacrifice!!

Or, do you have a better suggestion?
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

Not! Women in worse situations have married the man!! This guy is bad news but he fathered her pregnancy and that baby needs a name! Trust me, single motherhood is a bad place. At least a separated/divorced mother doesn't sound so bad and the child gets to keep his dad's name! He/she will thank his mother one day for the sacrifice!!

Or, do you have a better suggestion?

A bad father is worse than none . . . . No child should be made to pass through such an unstable situation.

And guess what? the baby already has a name . . . hers!

Damn chauvinists!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 2:21pm On May 06, 2011
Ujujoan:

A bad father is worse than none . . . . No child should be made to pass through such an unstable situation.

And guess what? the baby already has a name . . . hers!

Damn chauvinists!

Lol. Ever heard of the word BAST-ARD?? How's that for a name? Some kids grow up wishing they knew their father, or had one, or have been acknowledged by one. They are a month from the wedding and she's having cold feet, so what? Things could get better. And if not, there's the option of leaving. But if she decides not to marry him, she has no options at all.

And if thinking every child deserves to bear their FATHER'S FAMILY NAME, makes me a "chauvinist", then I'll gladly become one!!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 06, 2011
@Topic

If she marries this man she has made the biggest mistake of her life
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

Lol. Ever heard of the word BAST-ARD?? How's that for a name? Some kids grow up wishing they knew their father, or had one, or have been acknowledged by one. They are a month from the wedding and she's having cold feet, so what? Things could get better. And if not, there's the option of leaving. But if she decides not to marry him, she has no options at all.

And if thinking every child deserves to bear their FATHER'S FAMILY NAME, makes me a "chauvinist", then I'll gladly become one!!

There is a 'father' and there is a 'sperm donor' . . . In this OP's case, the child has the latter!

A man like him can NEVER be a true father to his child! IMO.

Besides, what's in a name . . . undecided
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 2:35pm On May 06, 2011
Ujujoan:

There is a 'father' and there is a 'sperm donor' . . . In this OP's case, the child has the latter!

A man like him can NEVER be a true father to his child! IMO.

Besides, what's in a name . . . undecided

What makes you think marriage and fatherhood won't settle him down?? A baby has a way of healing a lot of wounds. He just might be redeemable. If she doesn't try, she'll never know. And guess what? She can always leave if she wants. That's the up side!!! If she doesn't marry him, it'll always be a matter of "what if"??

Besides, she's thirty and pregnant. Not exactly able to be choosy, or what do you think??
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by truely9ja1(f): 2:40pm On May 06, 2011
zayzee:

The story below was written to me for publication in Business Hallmark Newspaper. She is seeking advice from readers and I thought I could also post it here and get more advice to publish in the newspaper for the troubled lady. Please read.

In a month, I will marry my fiancé of five years. I have always looked forward to marrying him but now that it is going to happen, I am really scared. Somewhere deep down, I feel I am making a big mistake because the reason why we finally have a marriage date isn’t because we sat down and planned our future but because I got pregnant.

I admit my fault in all that has happened to me. The pregnancy isn’t the only mistake I have made with Jide but I feel I have no options left and no one to help me. My family can hardly help themselves.

The beginning of our relationship was good and it was impossible not to fall in love with Jide. He was kind, loving, caring and everything I wanted in a man. He was interested in my future and helped with me get admitted into the Lagos State University to do a part time programme. Because my family lived in Badagry, I moved in with Jide as his place was closer to my school. Occasionally in the beginning, I noticed some traits I didn’t like. Jide would stay out late, girls would call him at odd hours, and when I confront him, he would get angry and pick fights with me. Later he would appease me with gifts and for a while, such incidents wouldn’t repeat themselves. At a point, I think I might have decided to turn a blind eye to the things I didn’t like, knowing that he loves me and he takes good care of me.

My relationship with other members of his family wasn’t exactly excellent, but okay. While his mother never exactly received me coldly any day, she wasn’t exactly warm. My not being Yoruba wasn’t an issue because two of her other sons where seriously involved with non Yoruba girls.

Jide, like his three brothers, do business with their mother and she gives them money. But business soon went bad and I suggested he got a job since he studied engineering but Jide refused and said his mother would not like it. I had to remind him he wasn’t getting any younger at 33 to wait for his mum to give him money before he could feed. He pushed the discussion aside and left for Abuja where he said he had a business to execute. In the eighteen months Jide stayed in Abuja, I only saw him twice when he came down for weekends to meet with his mother. In those months he was away he found little excuses to fight. Then he returned to Lagos late last year with no money and told me he was duped. We weren’t at peace because of fights and his late nights and calls from girls. What’s more, I would find huge sums of cash once in a while in his pockets and when I ask where from, he would get angry because I wasn’t supposed to find out. And in the wink of an eye, the money is all spent and he is asking me for money. I got a job that pays N20, 000 and Jide believes our future is stable on this lean salary. He visits prophets for solutions and never wants to talk about marriage because his mother asked us to hold on till she has enough money to throw a big party.

I should have ended this relationship when he was in Abuja, when it was very obvious he had side activities going on, and when my friends were telling me the writing on the wall was clear, but I didn’t because I thought of the years we have been together and how he was in the beginning. In hoping he would change, I endured the misery until I discovered I was pregnant. During the first weeks, I nursed a deep anger and resentment towards him. Now, I’m five months pregnant and we are getting married in a month time but I am scared things will only get worse. He has no job, and no intention of getting one. His mother does not talk to me and my soon to be groom plays lottery with whatever money he gets from where I don’t know. I am 30, what other options do I have?

Please, advice me.
Ese

don't marry him,he will never settle,hope he is not into yahoo-yahoo.
How can you dated a guy that can get a job but relies on him mother
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by truely9ja1(f): 2:41pm On May 06, 2011
@ poster
sorry ,I mean cant get a job
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

What makes you think marriage and fatherhood won't settle him down?? A baby has a way of healing a lot of wounds. He just might be redeemable. If she doesn't try, she'll never know. And guess what? She can always leave if she wants. That's the up side!!! If she doesn't marry him, it'll always be a matter of "what if"??

Besides, she's thirty and pregnant. Not exactly able to be choosy, or what do you think??

marriage is not some experiment you get into to 'test waters' . . . If you are not at least 80%, no need to even try!

If women could accept that marriage doesn't change people, many won't be having the problems they are having now.

If she marries him now, she'll keep worrying about her real baby and her baby husband.

She's 30, single and pregnant . . . at least she's not married to some loser! undecided
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 2:54pm On May 06, 2011
Ujujoan:

marriage is not some experiment you get into to 'test waters' . . . If you are not at least 80%, no need to even try!

If women could accept that marriage doesn't change people, many won't be having the problems they are having now.

If she marries him now, she'll keep worrying about her real baby and her baby husband.

She's 30, single and pregnant . . . at least she's not married to some loser! undecided

That's true. But you're still only thinking about secondary stuff like he's jobless, unfeeling etc. But raising a baby without its father is not good at all. With all his faults, he's ready to marry her. That in itself is a good sign. He also wants to claim his child. Another good sign. And marriage CAN change some men. First of all she can spend less time writing long stories about her life and focus on working on her man/future marriage.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by agabaI23(m): 2:58pm On May 06, 2011
Ese

This is my opinion do not marry him

This guy does not have a mind of his own. He is still attached to his mothers apron string. He probably asks for his mothers permission before he makes love to you. He is lazy and does not want to work hard.  A 33 year old man who thinks N20k from her woman is a solid base in Nigeria is yet to grow up and living a ba kwome life style. he has no shame nor pride. He believes in luck and lottery. He does not know how to manage money. His kind of person will squander the lottery money before you say Jack Robinson even if he wins itI am not sure he loves you.

It is bad enough that he is cheating and what is worse is that he does not have a plan for his future.

If you do not marry him, your child still has a father except you think he is the last option for you have to get married.

Ese run!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

That's true.  But you're still only thinking about secondary stuff like he's jobless, unfeeling etc. But raising a baby without its father is not good at all. With all his faults, he's ready to marry her. That in itself is a good sign. He also wants to claim his child. Another good sign. And marriage CAN change some men. First of all she can spend less time writing long stories about her life and focus on working on her man/future marriage.

Did you miss the part where he visits prophets and gambles his life away?

What happens when they tell him to bring his first son for sacrifice    undecided

And don't think that a man wanting to marry a woman is for any reason a 'good sign' . . . . maybe he thinks that will assure his daily meals even after a baby has been added to the family!  undecided
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 3:03pm On May 06, 2011
Ujujoan:

Did you miss the part where he visits prophets and gambles his life away?

What happens when they tell him to bring his first son for sacrifice    undecided

And don't think that a man wanting to marry a woman is for any reason a 'good sign' . . . . maybe he thinks that will assure his daily meals even after a baby has been added to the family!  undecided

Like I said, he's bad news. No denying that. But no one is beyond redemption and you know what they say: the devil you know. . . . .
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ifyalways(f): 3:04pm On May 06, 2011
Sun story  . . .probably fiction.

When they marry,where are they gonna live,how wud they feed,her 20K/month?Jide's mum ?why does she want to marry him now or ever?cos she is 30,she is pregnant or she dated him for 5 years  undecided

If I were the babe,the marriage thing wud be put on hold now,If she could wait for 5 years,waiting a few more years won't kill her.Why rush in now when its very glaring that the guy is NOT yet ready for either commitments,marriage or being a daddy?

I'm not saying she should severe all ties with the guy and have the baby all by herself,NO ! .They can still continue whatever they have/share without necessarily getting married,let's see if truly the arrival of a new baby would sober up and slap Jide back to reality/his senses.

Its never too late to do a wedding or get married but it's always very hard to get out.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 06, 2011
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Bawss1(m): 3:46pm On May 06, 2011
Marriage is a union that has far reaching consequences. It should not be entered into unless both parties are fully aware of the stakes and are united in their quest for spiritual development. The requirements for any marriage to be a success include (but are not limited)  love, respect, and trust. With this understanding in mind one can get a glimpse of the seriousness of this institution and realize that entering into it on account of a baby or pregnancy or age is a very wrong move. To do so will be to cave in to societal pressure at the expense of true happiness and a defeat of the real purpose of marriage.

In plain words - get married for the right reasons, a baby isn't one of them.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ada24: 5:39pm On May 06, 2011
ragdollz:

[b]
What makes you think marriage and fatherhood won't settle him down?? [/b]A baby has a way of healing a lot of wounds. He just might be redeemable. If she doesn't try, she'll never know. And guess what? She can always leave if she wants. That's the up side!!! If she doesn't marry him, it'll always be a matter of "what if"??

Some men cannot be changed by fatherhood or marriage. Just because the woman marries the man it will not mean the man will be a good father, is it not better to have a happy single mom showering love on this child than a depressed mother and uncaring and unsupportive father.

The woman should not marry the man - what is name - she can give the baby his name married or not - see me see trouble o!!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by dayokanu(m): 6:03pm On May 06, 2011
Superstory
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by tpia5: 9:08pm On May 06, 2011
it was impossible not to fall in love with Jide

I moved in with Jide as his place was closer to my school.

Occasionally in the beginning, I noticed some traits I didn’t like.

At a point, I think I might have decided to turn a blind eye to the things I didn’t like, knowing that he loves me and he takes good care of me.

Now, I’m five months pregnant and we are getting married in a month time

alrighty then.

@ topic

this is serious.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by francisj(m): 10:00pm On May 06, 2011
'you don carry bel-le ' so what advise are you looking 4,
just marry am 4 the sake of the unborn baby
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by agabaI23(m): 10:10pm On May 06, 2011
Another advice

Put off the wedding until your child is 2 years. but you are not getting younger.

Just call it quits sha!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by shilling(f): 7:09am On May 07, 2011
Absolutely agree with ifyalways.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Odunnu: 7:25am On May 07, 2011
Run run run far away from that marriage jor,you'l end up dead if you prove headstrong!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by no1madman(m): 8:09am On May 07, 2011
E get as e be!
He still dey suck his mama's bosoms
He's not even faithful. . .
wahala dey!
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by ragdollz: 10:05am On May 07, 2011
OK, don't marry him to give his baby his name: marry him because OBVIOUSLY you love him and can't imagine yourself with someone else. How do I know this? Even after all he's done to you, you are already one month to marrying him. So why trouble us when you've made up your mind already?? SMH
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by OAM4J: 10:25pm On May 07, 2011
Dont marry him now. wait and see if things will change for the better after the baby is born before you decide.

but menn this is damm too close, just take courage and shift the wedding. Good luck.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by GL(f): 8:19pm On May 08, 2011
ragdollz:

shocked shocked shocked

@OP,

don't marry him because you're 30, no need to waste the rest of your youth fretting over a guy you know has nothing to offer you & your baby.
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by vanillaz: 12:36pm On May 09, 2011
Re: I Am 30. Should I Marry Him by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 09, 2011
what the hell?!?!?! does this really require an answer!?!??!
if you want to see hell firsthand, marry this man. if you enjoy peace of mind and sanity, don't.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can There Be Anything Worse In A Marriage Than A Married Couple Cheating? / www.wivestownhallconnection.com / How Can I Make My Son Study Like His Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.