Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,648 members, 7,801,888 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? (17390 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by myvuitton: 4:08pm On May 07, 2011
I have a second class (lower division) in Electrical/electronics engineering from FUTO and I want to do a master's degree program in Petroleum Economics OR Energy Economics in USA OR Canada ONLY, however :

1. I'm not properly enlightened as to the PARTICULAR universities i should do my master's program in order to increase my chances of bin recruited from there or herein by Top multinationals Oil&Gas companies here in Naija,so i would appreciate lists of American and Canadian Universities in a Scale of preference.

2. Which of these two programs do you think will give me a BETTER edge in all ramifications.

i would really appreciate it if y'll professionals in the Oil&gas sectors give me a detailed orientation and advice on dis cos I'm so confused right now.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by AjanleKoko: 6:37pm On May 07, 2011
Well . . .
First off, I'm not in the oil and gas sector, but I think I can reasonably advise.

You have a 2:2? You're not likely to be admitted to many good schools in the US, and even fewer schools in Canada for a masters in engineering.
Petroleum/Energy Economics? You're not a business or economics grad.

I think you need to do a lot more research, long and short.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by oyewolejos(m): 4:15am On May 08, 2011
Texas A&M University

Univ of Texas

Stanford University

Colorado School of Mines

Univ of Oklahoma

Louisiana State Univ-M[b]ultinational companies do hire Grads from here every year[/b]

Univ of Tulsa

Penn State Univ

New Mexico Institute of Technology

But take into consideration that all these schools are quite expensive
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by myvuitton: 3:53am On May 10, 2011
@ Mr Ajanle, And who says one cant switch career, afterall itz an engineering managment course so i'm still on point and i knw what i want.
@ Mr oyewo , Thanks for the tips,i appreciate.
Nothing on canadian universities?
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 12, 2011
Stay on ur electrical line. Forget d oil industry, too crowded. I also think ur combination doesnt fit, wuld hav suggested a full petroleum engr course not econs, cos of ur background. I studied petrol engr, U.I so i knw wat am sayin.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by haydesh: 8:28pm On May 12, 2011
If you really 'desperate' about Oil & Gas (for the money), then go for it. Energy Economics would be a better option IMHO

However, you should be thinking of your (life long) career. Gaining experience and becoming a chartered engr (CEng, Pr Eng, Engr , ) gives your career a stamp.

You can still leverage that with green/environment matter and/or energy economics as you wanted. They only spice up your career.

Though i've ventured into IT, but as a CEng, I'm still able to gain certain credibility and a foot into management.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by X2X(m): 7:19am On May 13, 2011
myvuitton:

@ Mr Ajanle,  And who says one cant switch career, afterall itz an engineering managment course so i'm still on point and i knw what i want.

Isn't that a bit rude? Since you know what you want, why bother asking? How is petroleum Engineering or Energy Economics a "engineering managment course"?

I am an oil sector insider and was in a similar situation to you at some point (albeit BEng 1.1 in Elect/Elect Engineering + Msc 1.1 in Petroleum Engineering). I am afraid to let you know that AjanleK's advise (quoted below) is the best for your situation.

AjanleKoko:

You have a 2:2? You're not likely to be admitted to many good schools in the US, and even fewer schools in Canada for a masters in engineering.

I think you need to do a lot more research, long and short.

Kip on rockin!
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 7:32pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hi All, I'd appreciate if I could have someone advise genuinely on this. I also have a 2:2 in Chemical Engineering, bt all the Petroleum Engineering schools in Canada dnt subscribe to my "kind"- sadly. Is there some program I can enroll in to stand me in good stead? Or a better one than I'm in? is there no hope? cry
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by yamakuza: 1:40pm On Dec 15, 2011
^ seems theres no hope.

Think glocal.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 1:43pm On Dec 15, 2011
What's "glocal"?
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by yamakuza: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2011
Think Global, Act Local.

Enroll in a local institution for now and do ur PhD abroad.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by DisGuy: 2:34pm On Dec 15, 2011
na wa o, is the Oil and Gas sector in Nigeria under employing or something

Phd just to enter this oil and gas

Sure graduate schemes shouldnt be the only entry route, they should have alternative entry routes for HND, lower qualified and non 'oil n gas' graduates

kunlewoye:

Hi All, I'd appreciate if I could have someone advise genuinely on this. I also have a 2:2 in Chemical Engineering, bt all the Petroleum Engineering schools in Canada dnt subscribe to my "kind"- sadly. Is there some program I can enroll in to stand me in good stead? Or a better one than I'm in? is there no hope? cry

how about an Msc in europe- 1 year, then transfer to USA for american/Canadian MSc
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 3:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
Tx folks, I reali apprcte ur inputs. Dis guy, exactly hw to go abt dat? Some schools dnt do transfers, man.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by DisGuy: 3:37pm On Dec 15, 2011
kunlewoye:

Tx folks, I reali apprcte your inputs. Dis guy, exactly hw to go abt dat? Some schools dnt do transfers, man.

it's not a transfer per se, basically you are applying with an Msc/PGD to make up for the entry criteria 2.1+
but you'll still do two years

How are certs from other region outside UK/USA in nigeria, AUS, SA etc etc
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by AjanleKoko: 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2011
Dis Guy:

na wa o, is the Oil and Gas sector in Nigeria under employing or something

Phd just to enter this oil and gas

Sure graduate schemes shouldnt be the only entry route, they should have alternative entry routes for HND, lower qualified and non 'oil n gas' graduates

how about an Msc in europe- 1 year, then transfer to USA for american/Canadian MSc

They do have alternative entry options for HND and lower qualified technical graduates.
I'm not sure PhD is required. Just people going overboard.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 8:26pm On Dec 15, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko, the entry options which are, ? All I want is to have my M.Sc done in Canada as to improve my chances of getting on a good perch in d industry and also to witness firsthand how things are done appropriately. I dnt want it to be d same way I had my first degree in Chem Engr. Finance really isn't the problem here. I want Canada. I'm tryin to avoid the US as they ask for too many requirements, in my own opinion
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2012
@Dis guy, are you saying I should do a pre-master's in the UK then use the boosted CGPA to apply to an MSc program with the Canadian schools? Is that possible and how many people do you know who have done the same thing?
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by tanimola22: 8:02pm On Mar 05, 2012
I don't know if you would like to try one of IFP`s partners, a petroleum school in Russia called Gubkin. If you do want to try, the link is here http://www.gubkin.ru/en/international/1798.pdf

Gubkin University of Oyel is one of the affiliates of IFP Petroleum School, Paris. Other affiliates are Texas A&M, Colorado School of Mines, Houston, Oklahoma University and co. I think they have a diploma program there. Check it out.

T22
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by mcnepow(m): 7:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
T22, I hail. u just mentioned affiliates of IFP (France), pls what is your opinion on IPS (port harcout)? Other inputs will be highly appreciated. tanx.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by tanimola22: 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
mcnepow:

T22, I hail. u just mentioned affiliates of IFP (France), pls what is your opinion on IPS (port harcout)? Other inputs will be highly appreciated. tanx.

Yeah, how body?

Yes, I did mention IFP. IPS is great too. It is designed to resemble IFP in many ways, and many oil companies now sponsor people to study there. The only limitation I see with IPS is the restricted exposure to opportunities. You know, people who attend IFP are exposed to both local and foreign oil companies, including the ones in Saudi(Aramco), Norway, France, US, Russia etc, while IPS students are, in a way, restricted to the MNOCs in naija. Of course, IFP should be chosen if there is a choice to be made between IFP and IPS. However, IPS carries the day if no such choice exists.

Rumors from the mouths of naija engineering grads have it that some MNOCs in naija go to places like IPS to recruit people.So IPS is not a bad idea too. Meanwhile, I once had an interview with the chair of petroleum economics at IFP. He boasted to me that 99.2% of their graduates get employed on the spot by the world's top multinational oil companies. This has been the reason why I have always encouraged people to try IFP if they have the money. This absolutely does not mean that other places like IPS and co are bad.

T22.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by mcnepow(m): 8:15am On Mar 07, 2012
M gud and Thank you for the input, highly appreciated. wink
So any idea about how the IPS runs with regards to the award of the Total scholarship - is it that if you pass the entrance exam, you are automatically entitled to the scholarship?
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by tanimola22: 11:17am On Mar 07, 2012
No problems.

Get invited, pass entrance tests and ace oral interviews. And, although getting the scholarship is great, it does not guarantee a job offer from Total.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 11:30am On Mar 07, 2012
tanimola22:

This has been the reason why I have always encouraged people to try IFP if they have the money.

Hi Tanimola! This particularly strikes me from your post. I tried the link and read all of it but there are really no specifics on funds, minimum academic requirements and the sort. I graduated with a 2:2 in Chem Engrg btw and intend to put-in for Pet/offshore(subsea) Engrng. I have tried schools in Canada, UK, Norway but almost all have their min requirement 2;1 and above. This has led me to start thinking about perhaps trying one of these educational agencies as they have more experience and may be able to offer invaluable advice on going about this. Albeit I have been told most of them will rip one off!!
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 11:31am On Mar 07, 2012
Obviously I'm still trying to learn to post on here, smiley
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by tanimola22: 12:16pm On Mar 07, 2012
Hi Tanimola! This particularly strikes me from your post. I tried the link and read all of it but there are really no specifics on funds, minimum academic requirements and the sort. I graduated with a 2:2 in Chem Engrg btw and intend to put-in for Pet/offshore(subsea) Engrng. I have tried schools in Canada, UK, Norway but almost all have their min requirement 2;1 and above. This has led me to start thinking about perhaps trying one of these educational agencies as they have more experience and may be able to offer invaluable advice on going about this. Albeit I have been told most of them will rip one off!!

Give these Gubkin people a call and ask them all the questions in your mind. If I were in your shoes, I would just apply and wait for the outcome. I can't see anywhere they said students must pay application fees. Just apply to them and let's see what the outcome will look like. You only spend time to apply, not money.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by mcnepow(m): 12:37pm On Mar 07, 2012
tanimola22:

No problems.

Get invited, pass entrance tests and ace oral interviews. And, although getting the scholarship is great, it does not guarantee a job offer from Total.
I know it doesn't guarantee a job, just interested in further knowledge.
Do you have an idea how the Total scholarship works??
And is the certificate comparable to that of an international masters - say one from RGU?
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 1:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
tanimola22:

Give these Gubkin people a call and ask them all the questions in your mind. If I were in your shoes, I would just apply and wait for the outcome. I can't see anywhere they said students must pay application fees. Just apply to them and let's see what the outcome will look like. You only spend time to apply, not money.

T22.

I was actually referring to the educational agencies here in Naija, not the Gubkin folks. I have a 2;2 class of degree and would like to know which considerably good schools would accept someone like myself, or rather, would have a Pre-master's/Qualifying degree(as it is known by in Canada) program to boost my CGPA (3.14/5.0). I will definitely try the Gubkin one, bt won't take a foolhardy approach by trying ONLY that option; I want others in the UK, Canada or Norway as well.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by jaybee3(m): 1:53pm On Mar 07, 2012
^^^^
Dude, how many of these universities have you actually applied to?
I have pointed you to some good 2 tier universities in the UK that will gladly accept your grade.
Don't be lazy, call these guys up and apply

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=141689.msg10338350#msg10338350
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by jaybee3(m): 2:01pm On Mar 07, 2012
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by jaybee3(m): 2:05pm On Mar 07, 2012
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by tanimola22: 2:22pm On Mar 07, 2012
kunlewoye:

I was actually referring to the educational agencies here in Naija, not the Gubkin folks. I have a 2;2 class of degree and would like to know which considerably good schools would accept someone like myself, or rather, would have a Pre-master's/Qualifying degree(as it is known by in Canada) program to boost my CGPA (3.14/5.0). I will definitely try the Gubkin one, b[b]t won't take a foolhardy approach by trying ONLY that option; I want others in the UK, Canada or Norway as wel[/b]l.

That is true.
Re: Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? by kunlewoye(m): 2:24pm On Mar 07, 2012
@ Jay Bee. Did you say lazy?!! I have applied to Dalhousie, Uof A, UCal, uni of Regina, Memorial University in Canada. I got to talk to an admissions officer each time and those pple were very curt during correspondence making me think Master's abroad aint for 2:2 @ all. In the UK I av tried Newcastle(where I was referred to their agent here in Naija), Aberdeen, HW, Cranfield, some I can't even remember! I tried NTNU and Stavanger in Norway as well. I am everything but lazy, mate, even with a job dat takes 12hrs+ of my time daily + weekend sometimes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Do Micro-Finance Banks Pay At Entry Level? / Itil Vs Prince 2 Certification / Hardship In Nigeria: 35k Salary Earners, How Are You Surviving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.