Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! (15951 Views)

As Traditional Dance Going Extinct In Nigeria… / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Trendy Ibo Guys Rocking Traditional Dance In Amsterdam! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 07, 2011
Here we go! kiss kiss
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 07, 2011
Traditional (SS, I think)

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6OcIiYNnrE?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 10:53pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 07, 2011
Love this video kiss

I miss Nigeria, chai! I want to go HOME cry cry cry

This is for my Idanre Yoruba people in the house
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMGa3F1meWM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 07, 2011
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 07, 2011
Nupe for NC Nigeria. They say they're northerners, but they dress as Yoruba people. undecided

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBEIq93pk-c?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 07, 2011
More from Nupe.

Has anyone noticed that most Muslim songs have that very high tone? Why is that?

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-2iHPHhDk?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by amor4ce(m): 3:32am On May 08, 2011
The histories of the Nupe and Yoruba peoples seem to be intertwined. For instance, Yoruba oral tradition has it that the Igunnuko Festival as celebrated in Yoruba land has Nupe roots. Also the first person (or something like that) to wear a dress was a Nupe king. I read about these a while back and I think (not sure I remember correctly) it is one of the Ifa narratives.

How about some Badagry dance videos, the ones involving that big drum. Any dance lessons? I know there are some dance steps that royalty in Yoruba land, or at least Ijebu land, are required to learn for certain occasions. Are you aware of their names and do you have the YouTube links?
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by ezeagu(m): 3:55am On May 08, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Love this video kiss

I miss Nigeria, chai! I want to go HOME cry cry cry

This is for my Idanre Yoruba people in the house
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMGa3F1meWM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

This one is nice. That house must be very old.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by bayosgirl(f): 4:31am On May 08, 2011
Beautiful. I want to visit Nigeria so bad.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 5:18am On May 08, 2011
amor4ce:

The histories of the Nupe and Yoruba peoples seem to be intertwined. For instance, Yoruba oral tradition has it that the Igunnuko Festival as celebrated in Yoruba land has Nupe roots. Also the first person (or something like that) to wear a dress was a Nupe king. I read about these a while back and I think (not sure I remember correctly) it is one of the Ifa narratives.

How about some Badagry dance videos, the ones involving that big drum. Any dance lessons? I know there are some dance steps that royalty in Yoruba land, or at least Ijebu land, are required to learn for certain occasions. Are you aware of their names and do you have the YouTube links?

hmmm, intereting. Do you think you'll be able to dig up a source for that Nupe-Yoruba relation? I've always heard the Nupe consider themselves Northerners (Hausa-Fulanis-Kanuris etc).

I'm sure that each Yoruba royals have their dance because each Yoruba states (or towns) have their culture dance; we call them[i] Ijo Ibile [/i]. I'm not too sure about the royal ones so I cant get into much details about it.

Badagry dance I found online

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyu3cTFrP8w?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Ok, I think it's about time we start recording high quality cultural dance on Youtube. So hard to find any nice quality ones.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 5:23am On May 08, 2011
More from Badagry

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqOyQ1vPr4A?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:19am On May 08, 2011
I really feel for you guys abroad. you are truly missing a lot.

You are talking of dance what about varieties of Nigerian dishes prepared in purely Nigerian homes and kitchens.

I cant live abroad cause i cant feed on those leaves and pounded meat and various other rubbish i see on movies!

Imagine staying 2 months without swallowing Akpu/poundo and bitterleaf soup or amala with ewedu! Gosh hunga go kill me if even atempt to live abroad!

Una wey dey live abroad dey try! I swear una dey try!
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by ezeagu(m): 5:30pm On May 08, 2011
There are Nigerian restaurants wherever many Nigerians stay abroad. Also, there are many shops that import Nigerian ingredients from Africa.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by amor4ce(m): 12:37am On May 09, 2011
Here's a video of the Bariba people dancing. It is said that IBB is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY-1Gm8P3Lk

I read something like their system of traditional kingdoms being similar to that of the Yoruba.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by namfav(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2011
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 10:36pm On May 28, 2011
namfav:

fulani

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T59SY8KpGDw?fs=1&hl=en_GB[/flash]

Interesting. . . . I've always wondered, why do Islamic regions (no necessarily the same language) always have that high toned voice while singing?
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by namfav(m): 10:59pm On May 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting. . . . I've always wondered, why do Islamic regions (no necessarily the same language) always have that high toned voice while singing?

its just the style of how our music, to tell you the truth sometimes it is the production, if you look at the other muslims like the mandinka and wolof their music does not sound like this
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 28, 2011
namfav:

its just the style of how our music, to tell you the truth sometimes it is the production, if you look at the other muslims like the mandinka and wolof their music does not sound like this

What was she singing about?

And I saw various modes of dressing and styles, do you often dress like that?
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by namfav(m): 11:11pm On May 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What was she singing about?

And I saw various modes of dressing and styles, do you often dress like that?

she is sing that GOD will keep all fulani together whether from mali, guinea, senegal, niger, nigeria, burkinabe, cameroon etc. that we are all 1 of the same wherever we may go

most of those clothes in the video are bororo, us we don't wear like that, but there are some (like in some in the first 20 seconds)  in the video who we wear like
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Egbagirl(f): 8:27pm On May 29, 2011
ezeagu:

There are Nigerian restaurants wherever many Nigerians stay abroad. Also, there are many shops that import Nigerian ingredients from Africa.

The restaurants are ridiculously expensive and so are the stores! Its expensive to eat Nigerian food at least where Im at in the midwest.

But @topic: Im thinking of teaching a couple of Nigerian dances to one of the dance groups we have on my campus and Im defo checking out these videos!!!

@Ileke-Idi, Graçias! O se gidi gan ni!
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Ngodigha: 11:04pm On May 29, 2011
Some interesting stuff.
Re: Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! by Ngodigha: 11:06pm On May 29, 2011
Another interesting stuff.

(1) (Reply)

I Never Said Benin Owned Lagos – Oba Akiolu / Annang. / The Relationship Between The Isoko And Ndiigbo( Ukwuani-anioma).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.