Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? (19492 Views)

Why A Woman Should Not Wait Too Long To Marry Or Settle Down? / How Long Is The Hair On This Beautiful Indigenous Brazilian Woman(photos) / How Long Is Good Sex? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 28, 2021
Skeptically, many persons hold the opinion that what is meant to be will be. Also, that something that will turn out well, will give you signs right from the first moment. Though in practice, this is rarely the case.

Evidently, great feats and landmark achievements are built from gradual efforts and persistence. I know that you might be wondering what all these is about. Relationships! This is our focus for today.

How long should or can a relationship or engagement last before official plans are concluded for final settlement or alternatively but rather sadly, before the towel is thrown in.

We have heard stories of partners dating for more than five years. I have even heard a ten year old relationship. I believe you are also contemplating what is on my mind. What in heavens name are these guys doing for ten years together still on the platform of dating, engagement or courtship? Anyway, let me keep my personal bias aside actually and see how we can answer this question objectively.

How long is too long for a relationship to last?

There are some crucial reasons why relationships get prolonged. However, we are going to move straight to tackling how long two individuals should be together before either settling together or parting ways. So let us look at what could influence the decision to act either to halt the union or finally consummate it.

How to Determine How Long is too Long

Most rational persons do not just take decisions rashly. A whole lot of persons have their perceived reasons for doing certain things. Though to outsiders a relationship might seem to have outgrown it’s viability, but for those involved might have their own concrete reasons. So, let us look at why an extended relationship keeps going and why it should end.

Whether or not you truly love yourself One key sustainer of relationships is love. If the love is still strong and the emotions are freely flowing as they should, then might not be wise to terminate this relationship.

At least, there is still something holding you two together. In this case, it may not really matter how long you have known yourselves or been together already, as far as the necessary ingredients are still intact.

Conversely, if everything is dry and emotions are being forced, I believe you know where the door is. If the odds are favourable or not What way do you feel about this your partner and the relationship? Does it look like the conditions are supportive? Is everyone telling you to keep faith and hold on? ( though people may often times be wrong). Does it seem like you two have been lost to reality or things are still cool? With these questions and the kind of answers you have for them, one should be able to tell if the relationship should be sustained or aborted.

If you have lost sync with reality and the odds are really against you, the you might need to make a shift. If things are finally taking shape or not It might be that one reason for all the long years was one target or another. With the passing years, how much have you guys moved closer of reaching these targets?

Maybe the man was waiting for you to be done with school, is this happening anytime soon or have you finished school since but nothing? Has he gotten the job that he was hunting for all along or he just passed and interview? They may have been conditions that held both partners and prevented them from taking action previously.

However, a careful consideration of the current state of things and the progress made in these areas will show whether or not you guys should hold on or quit. Whether the vibes and energy are still flowing or not Has your relationship turned lethargic and draining as the years keep adding up? Does this union still deliver in its promises or are things constantly falling apart? Do you still get the thrill and butterflies that you used to get initially? How stale and stagnated the relationship is should be a signal to the partners whether to work keep it or cut their losses are move on.

There is absolutely no gain in holding on to shattered dreams. Not need crying over spilled milk it is always said. Therefore, you may not be able to find expressly certified criteria in deciding the length of a relationship. There are no generally developed roles about it and as such no officially stated duration of any union. Yet, a careful consideration of the state of any relationship and an assessment of its components will help one decide what should be done with such a relationship.

Outrightly, no one can condemn a relationship because it has lasted for too long or too short. In reality, there are crucial reasons that may be responsible for this. However, it is wise to keep alert with the direction of flow of any relationship. This will enable the partners take informed choices and give such a union purpose and meaning.

Thus, deciding how long is too long is totally the duty of the parties concerned.

Source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/05/28/how-long-is-too-long-for-a-relationship/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Kastonkastroll(m): 7:10am On Jun 28, 2021
Doesn't matter how long. Some relationships might last for four years before marriage while the marriage itself wont last up to a year. Some of our parents never did anything like relationship before they tie the knot and you will find out till today their marriages are still intact.

And op dont kid yourself, In this our modern time, only love doesn't sustain any marriage. You'd be surprised that majority of girls only want to marry because of the financial security that comes with the marriage. Know this and know peace

202 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by donbachi(m): 7:30am On Jun 28, 2021
A second if u sense danger,greed,selfishness,lies and deceit.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Armyof1: 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
K
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Offpoint1: 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
Minimum 7 years and maximum 15 years...

Thanks

9 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by seunny4lif(m): 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
I had a long distance relationship for 2 years and it’s was crazy cheesy
Calling her and if she is not picking can cause a lot of 2 weeks fighting.
Mine will be online on FB and yet wouldn’t pick my calls or call me.
I was in love but it was driving me crazy angry angry

Fast forward to a 1 year later again, I promised myself, not to call her again grin and I deleted all her contacts on my phone but only for me to broke my promises, I was calling and texting her for not picking.
It’s was hell. angry
Fast forward grin
I wicked her back by get married and having my own family angry

Wetin una dey think grin
Na her I marry oooh grin cheesy and we have 3 kids now.
God forbid I do long distance relationship again cheesy
That thing was a punishment jooor cheesy

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by bigdammyj: 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Noted
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by eddynaira125: 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
24hours

2 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by deolurexy1(m): 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Anything way pass two years na over do

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by iamphilips(m): 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by IBILEmayweather(m): 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
tongue

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by fergie001: 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2021
Kastonkastroll:
Doesn't matter how long. Some relationships might last for four years before marriage while the marriage itself wont last up to a year. Some of our parents never did anything like relationship before they tie the knot and you will find out till today their marriages are still intact.

And op dont kid yourself, In this our modern time, only love doesn't sustain any marriage. You'd be surprised that majority of girls only want to marry because of the financial security that comes with the marriage. Know this and know peace
Financial Security takes maximum %. (for the babes); so the men like me are catching up.

Societal Pressure follows

Then...I love my husband or wife

6 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by christianEze: 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2021

3 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Calmthunder(m): 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2021
It's like a market place, some come on time and go on time. Some come on time and go late. While others go late and come back on time.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Profamir(m): 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2021
I'll comment later. Let the elders talk first.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by IJOBA11: 1:20pm On Jun 28, 2021
angry
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by lagusboyyy(m): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2021
In my own opinion, as long as it will result in peaceful and loving marriage.

Its better to be late and perfect, than to be fast and horrible.

The marriage institution in this present day is so messed up, judging by all the deaths, bitterness and divorce going on lately.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by maureensylvia(f): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2021
It really depends on the person.
Up to you

Some people are together for l
years without getting married.
That’s quite crazy to me because at that point you know whether or not you want to get married to this person.
Then at the same time, not everyone cares to get married (but to those who do…that’s a long time).

To me, too long would be after 4 years. If he’s not proposing after 4 years or if you guys haven’t even discussed marriage then…you gotta start asking some questions guy...

If a lady pauses her life for more than 4yrs for a man and they don't finally get married, it may be difficult for that lady to move on with her life. So 4yrs max is advisable for a relationship.

I deal in Agro commodities, location Kano state. Distribution worldwide.
For more Enquiries... Check out my signature

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by iamyemiakins(m): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2021
Aseju ni relationship, friends with benefits ti tó

5 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by chinonsoso: 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2021
Use your discretion
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Nehyooh(m): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2021
Here to learn !
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Savedday: 1:22pm On Jun 28, 2021
9ja girls are out to add more burden to your life instead of softening it.

In mosdii voice: They are all useless..... All of them!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Splendorgirl633(f): 1:22pm On Jun 28, 2021
How will you keep one hanging for long? 1 year is enough.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Mannylex(m): 1:23pm On Jun 28, 2021
wow
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Topmaike007(m): 1:23pm On Jun 28, 2021
Knack her kpekus till you turn baba born boy
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by hakym619(m): 1:23pm On Jun 28, 2021
5minuite.

Nonsense, wo my food don dey burn make I go turn am �

3 Likes

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by design106: 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
cool
1 month.
Anything after that na just endurance.

1 Like

Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by cardoctor(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
1 minute to 100 years.
Re: How Long Is Too Long For A Relationship? by Akpuobi1: 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2021
W

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Signs That Indicate You Are Masturbating Too Much / The 10 Top Secrets To Make A Girl Want You / See Boobs! Pretty Lady Remove Her Pants & Bra, Twerk, Exposing Her Private Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.