Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption (5425 Views)

Jonathan Lacked Will Power To Fight Corruption – Edwin Clark / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance. / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by MAYOWAAK: 11:40pm On May 08, 2011
Nuhu Ribadu, the presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria and former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, has quietly relocated to Afghanistan to assume duties as a member of the Anti-Corruption Monitoring and Evaluation Committee in that country.

Ribadu was appointed to the position by the United Nation's Department for International Development (DFID) in Afghanistan, in December 2010.

The former EFCC boss started work in Kabul last week. His schedule will take him between the cities of Kabul and Kandahar on a regular basis.

Text of Team Ribadu's Press statement:

The Presidential candidate of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, today begins a three-week country governance audit of Afghanistan as part of a six-man international monitoring team set up by the United Nations under the “Afghanistan Anti-Corruption Monitoring and Evaluation Committee.”

Mr. Ribadu left Nigeria for Afghanistan last Tuesday, May 3; joined five other team members in Dubai; and traveled into Kabul at the weekend where they are expected to fine-tune the strategy of curbing corruption in the troubled country.

The committee’s duties, according to briefing papers from the Department of Foreign International Development, DFID, and the United Nations Development Programme office, include a review of the social, political, economic and cultural conditions giving life to corruption in the country, which they tag “drivers of corruption,” and a sustainable proposal on how to curb the crime and moral ill that has ravaged the image and international standing of the conflict ridden country.

Aside from offering best “approach and principles” of fighting corruption, on a legal basis”, the monitoring team, according to its mandate, is also expected to propose ways of ensuring that international aid and development financing to Afghanistan meets with the country’s “national priorities.”

Afghanistan (ranked 176th) is the third most corrupt country, with a CPI (corruption perception index) of 1.4 according to Transparency International, with only Somalia (178) and Myanmar (176) ranked worst. Nigeria is ranked 134 with a CPI of 2.4 among the 178 countries ranked

Members of the committee who were appointed late last year commenced work on April 21 with a teleconference on the task at hand and how to achieve their mission.

The monitoring and evaluation is expected to help the Afghanistan government in its fight against corruption and also guide the international community on how best to relate with the country.

Though the committee is expected to complete its work in two years, media aide to Mallam Ribadu, Ibrahim Modibbo, said that the task will not affect Mr. Ribadu’s national priorities and his continued commitment to the growth and development of Nigeria.

“It is Mr. Ribadu contribution to the global fight against corruption that has gotten him this recognition. This will however not deter him from playing his roles as a responsible citizen and political leader in our country.”

“You know, his party, the ACN, controls six states and Mr. Ribadu will do all he can to ensure that the governors of those six states bring the dividends of democracy to their people in order to let Nigerians know that the ACN is the best party to rule the country” he added.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/ribadu-moves-kabul-afghanistan-fight-corruption
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Beaf: 12:37am On May 09, 2011
Many of us will never believe a word out of Sahara Reporters, so here's an alternative:

Also in attendance at the meeting was the presidential candidate of the party in the just concluded presidential election, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
At the meeting, Ribadu informed party members of his intention to take up his UN job on anti-corruption in Afghanistan.
He bade the party goodbye and sort their permission to return to his UN job, which he held before returning to the country to run for the presidency.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/acn-plans-regional-development-commission-for-s-west-edo/90970/

Its bye bye to politics for Ribadu.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Blazay(m): 2:06am On May 09, 2011
Good riddance!
We know you cannot succeed legitimately in Nigeria. . .

[size=20pt]Anti Corruption Czar fails in Nigeria whooo hooo!!![/size]

cheesy
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by AChigozie1(f): 4:33am On May 09, 2011
Blazay:

Good riddance!
We know you cannot succeed legitimately in Nigeria. . .

[size=20pt]Anti Corruption Czar fails in Nigeria whooo hooo!!![/size]

cheesy

Why do you say that?
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by AChigozie1(f): 4:36am On May 09, 2011
[size=20pt] shocked Afghanistan is dangerous, if I was him, I would rather stay in Nigeria fighting corruption.  Why go and help another nation, when your own needs help?   [/size]
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Blazay(m): 4:39am On May 09, 2011
That is to tell you how 'confused' the 'mallam' is. cheesy
The dude irritates the crap ourra me I tellya. . .sanctimonious pig! Ibori's money was not good enough for him. . . .but Bola "Asiwaju" Tinubu's cocaine/meth lab's money was as good as pure gold to run his campaign. Glad he was used and dumped. What a scumbag!

A.Chigozie:

Why do you say that?

When he fought corruption. . .corruption fought back and chased his arzzzzzzzze to Torah Borah caves of Afghanistgan to be the new Osama Bin Ladin!
Mu he he he he he

Fake ant-corruption fighter! I thought Ibori's going to jail in the UK would make him the president of Nigeria for life?

So all that wahala he made was to end up in a place like Afghanistan. . . not even another African country?
He should have gone back to the UK to drive his taizi jeje.
Shiooooooooor!
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Jenifa1: 5:23am On May 09, 2011
congratulations to him. I wish him all the best with the UN
the man had become a political hostage in his own country for attempting to fight corruption.

he has joined the ranks of people like wole soyinka, achebe that are all serving  and contributing to foreign institutions because they are not welcome in their own home country

Nigeria will never learn.
we reject the good and embrace the bad leaders.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Blazay(m): 5:37am On May 09, 2011
Hmmmm!
We don hia!

*chewing my chin-gum yam-yam-yam-yam. . . .KPAI!!!*

(in ma 'gbelekhua' mode of operation) cool
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Demdem(m): 8:06am On May 09, 2011
I honestly wish him the best. he would have been more useful in your country.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Gbawe: 9:58am On May 09, 2011
Demdem:

I honestly wish him the best. he would have been more useful in your country.

I think so too but , in the end, he may just not be interested in working for a GEJ Government. I think he could have remained here to work on building a political base and forging alliances, with an eye on the future, but the need to get out , for now ,  may have been too much for a core technocrat who , as I have stated repeatedly , is involved because of patriotism like Gani Fawehinmi, Fola Adeola , Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili  et al.

It was the same with Okonjo Iweala and Ezekwesili. They answered the call to do their bit but , IMO , left with frustration and perhaps regret at not getting the chance to do more. This move for Ribadu , if true , at the very least, proves that he made no deals with GEJ otherwise he would be enjoying a 'juicy' portfolio in Nigeria rather than working for the UN in Afghanistan. It also proves that Ribadu was not involved because of money as folks touted . He will certainly be very well paid as a UN advisor but he could literally opt to be Part of GEJ's GNU  to make billions if he is a shallow and materialistic person .

Anyway , from what we gather , this UN assignment will run for a year or two . Hope Ribadu will head back after that to get involved . People may not see it , but we need more high-worth technocrats , sought the World over, like Ribadu , Fola Adeola and Okonjo-Iweala et al, involved more in our politics rather than the numerous political jobbers and retrogressive AGIPS (like David Mark) who stand for nothing in particular and are never principled enough to do what is best for Nigeria. I wish Ribadu the best in his endeavours.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by mbulela: 10:40am On May 09, 2011
Gbawe:

involved more in our politics rather than the numerous political jobbers and retrogressive AGIPS (like David Mark) who stand for nothing in particular and are never principled enough to do what is best for Nigeria. I wish Ribadu the best in his endeavours.

sometimes i think that the likes of David Mark and Ojo Maduekwe have done more harm to this country than Ibori and Abacha.
these AGIP men are most dangerous cos it is difficult to quantify the harm they do.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by mbulela: 10:40am On May 09, 2011
please add Jerry Gana to that list.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Gbawe: 10:54am On May 09, 2011
mbulela:

sometimes i think that the likes of David Mark and Ojo Maduekwe have done more harm to this country than Ibori and Abacha.
these AGIP men are most dangerous cos it is difficult to quantify the harm they do.

Indeed , my brother. Folks can call Ribadu whatever name they like but there is no doubt in the minds of most Nigerians that he means well. Those who are the real problem , deserving of name-calling and far more, are the deleterious politicians who deliberately slow us down so that the "owners of Nigeria " can continue to profit from the the way Nigeria is. No one typifies that more than David Mark, Tony Anenih, Bode George , Ahmadu Ali et al. I am highly dissapointed that GEJ endorsed a second tenure for David Mark as Senate President . The man is enemy of progress numero uno. Highly anti-people politician same as many of his ilk mentioned above. He has taken on a humble mien for now but give him time and he will become the biggest enemy to the Presidency if Jonathan wants a proactive Senate President who will lead the lobbying for the quick passage of progressive bills.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by rasputinn(m): 10:55am On May 09, 2011
Blazay:

That is to tell you how 'confused' the 'mallam' is. cheesy
The dude irritates the crap ourra me I tellya. . .sanctimonious pig! Ibori's money was not good enough for him. . . .but Bola "Asiwaju" Tinubu's cocaine/meth lab's money was as good as pure gold to run his campaign. Glad he was used and dumped. What a scumbag!

When he fought corruption. . .corruption fought back and chased his arzzzzzzzze to Torah Borah caves of Afghanistgan to be the new Osama Bin Ladin!
Mu he he he he he

Fake ant-corruption fighter! I thought Ibori's going to jail in the UK would make him the president of Nigeria for life?

So all that wahala he made was to end up in a place like Afghanistan. . . not even another African country?
Shiooooooooor!

grin grin grin grin grin
Walahi o boy you no be better pessin @ all,ah ah pity the mumu Ribadu na
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Mariory(m): 12:17pm On May 09, 2011
Blazay:

Mu he he he he he

Shiooooooooor!

That's funny, considering this man is recognized and respected worldwide. He works for the UN in top positions. And you are here on nairaland laughing at him? Who is fooling who? Between the both of you, who is really winning? grin
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Beaf: 12:37pm On May 09, 2011
Gbawe:

I think so too but , in the end, he may just not be interested in working for a GEJ Government. I think he could have remained here to work on building a political base and forging alliances, with an eye on the future, but the need to get out , for now , may have been too much for a core technocrat who , as I have stated repeatedly , is involved because of patriotism like Gani Fawehinmi, Fola Adeola , Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili et al.

It was the same with Okonjo Iweala and Ezekwesili. They answered the call to do their bit but , IMO , left with frustration and perhaps regret at not getting the chance to do more. This move for Ribadu , if true , at the very least, proves that he made no deals with GEJ otherwise he would be enjoying a 'juicy' portfolio in Nigeria rather than working for the UN in Afghanistan. It also proves that Ribadu was not involved because of money as folks touted . He will certainly be very well paid as a UN advisor but he could literally opt to be Part of GEJ's GNU to make billions if he is a shallow and materialistic person .

Anyway , from what we gather , this UN assignment will run for a year or two . Hope Ribadu will head back after that to get involved . People may not see it , but we need more high-worth technocrats , sought the World over, like Ribadu , Fola Adeola and Okonjo-Iweala et al, involved more in our politics rather than the numerous political jobbers and retrogressive AGIPS (like David Mark) who stand for nothing in particular and are never principled enough to do what is best for Nigeria. I wish Ribadu the best in his endeavours.

Lol!

ACN frustrates the pants off Ribadu. . . And they blame GEJ!! Damn!
Errm, how does that work? shocked
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Basics007: 12:39pm On May 09, 2011
He meant well for his fatherland but his lack of political base made him a puppet in the hands of cunning politicians. The likes of Ribadu can never survive in Nig political scene just like Gani.
Mallam wishing u well in all ur future endeavours
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Lagosboy: 12:48pm On May 09, 2011
Basics007:

He meant well for his fatherland but his lack of political base made him a puppet in the hands of cunning politicians. The likes of Ribadu can never survive in Nig political scene just like Gani.
Mallam wishing u well in all your future endeavours

This is the song i have been singing on NL right from the time Ribadu signified interest in the presidency, I have debated with my pal Gbawe wink on the issue several times.

You cannot as an agent of change win the presidency in Nigeria without a political base on your own turf. Ribadu was hasty and came out of this adventure badly bruised. However i wish him well in what he knows how to do best fighting corruption. His 2 years sojourn to Aghansitan might mean, there will be no visible presidential opposition from ACN. Again, it might have been better for Ribadu to start building a political base in the north with Buhari right now. All i can see is Ribadu returning to Nigeria in 2013/14 and the ground dynamics might have changed and he will lose out again. Having said that, Ribadu needs to feed his family which means the job migh be a good idea for his personal self.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by proudly9ja(m): 1:00pm On May 09, 2011
Good job Ribadu, not everyone is inpolitics because they can't get jobs elsewhere.

@ Gbawe, this is kind of an off the topic question but seeing you are an ACN man, I will like to have your opinion on what you think will happen to Lagos after Fashola.

I ask this question because Im kinda worried that unfortubately in Nigeria today, we still have the 'messaih' mentality of solving problems and so while we should be building institutions, we glorify individuals. If someone (even under ACN), without the drive and vision of Fashola, takes over Lagos, would we not be going back to square one?

As an insider (I think?), is Fashola doing enough to make sure that things people are seeing in Lagos today will outlive his tenure? Put it in mind, that there was once a Jakande in Lagos too who Lagosians praised to high heavens but we all know what happened to Lagos after him.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by ak47mann(m): 1:04pm On May 09, 2011
rasputinn:

grin grin grin grin grin
Walahi o boy you no be better pessin @ all,ah ah pity the mumu Ribadu na

na woman blazay be undecided undecided
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 09, 2011
Ribadu carry go jor, na only mouth your haters get. I like your worldview perspective.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 09, 2011
the light of this man is really shining for is fight against corruption, nice Ribadu more experience for you, God will see you through
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by 1025: 1:19pm On May 09, 2011
good for ribadu. if this man insists on fighting corruption in a pdp led govt in nigeria, he will end up destroying the little remaining goodness in him.
how can pdp which is a symbol of corruption involve someone or pay someone to fight against them(pdp - corruption).
my prayer for u ribadu is that the criminality u got urself involved here in nigeria under obasanjo will not push u into bombs there in afghanistan.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by oderemo(m): 1:25pm On May 09, 2011
the light of this man is really shining for is fight against corruption, nice Ribadu more experience for you, God will see you through

am sorry oh, y cant that same GOD see him thru in nigeria.?
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by ManTJ1(m): 1:30pm On May 09, 2011
I wish Him well cheesy
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by kabarka(m): 1:32pm On May 09, 2011
Gbawe:

I think so too but , in the end, he may just not be interested in working for a GEJ Government. I think he could have remained here to work on building a political base and forging alliances, with an eye on the future, but the need to get out , for now ,  may have been too much for a core technocrat who , as I have stated repeatedly , is involved because of patriotism like Gani Fawehinmi, Fola Adeola , Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili  et al.

It was the same with Okonjo Iweala and Ezekwesili. They answered the call to do their bit but , IMO , left with frustration and perhaps regret at not getting the chance to do more. This move for Ribadu , if true , at the very least, proves that he made no deals with GEJ otherwise he would be enjoying a 'juicy' portfolio in Nigeria rather than working for the UN in Afghanistan. It also proves that Ribadu was not involved because of money as folks touted . He will certainly be very well paid as a UN advisor but he could literally opt to be Part of GEJ's GNU  to make billions if he is a shallow and materialistic person .

i believe you in totality.This the real truth.

ACN made in-road even in place where they did not clinch governorship.

And also  i believe ribadu's political future is strong and bright.If he succeed in this assignment,his chances will be high.

I wish him well.
We need people that have accomplished in life to man positions of authority in nigeria.
REAL TECHNOCRATS
Gbawe:

i believe you in totality.This the real truth.

ACN made in-road even in place where they did not clinch governorship.

And also  i believe ribadu's political future is strong and bright.If he succeed in this assignment,his chances will be high.

I wish him well.
We need people that have accomplished in life to man positions of authority in nigeria.
REAL TECHNOCRATS
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Gbawe: 1:37pm On May 09, 2011
proudly9ja:

Good job Ribadu, not everyone is inpolitics because they can't get jobs elsewhere.

@ Gbawe, this is kind of an off the topic question but seeing you are an ACN man, I will like to have your opinion on what you think will happen to Lagos after Fashola.

I ask this question because Im kinda worried that unfortubately in Nigeria today, we still have the 'messaih' mentality of solving problems and so while we should be building institutions, we glorify individuals. If someone (even under ACN), without the drive and vision of Fashola, takes over Lagos, would we not be going back to square one?

As an insider (I think?), is Fashola doing enough to make sure that things people are seeing in Lagos today will outlive his tenure? Put it in mind, that there was once a Jakande in Lagos too who Lagosians praised to high heavens but we all know what happened to Lagos after him.

Lagos is very important for the ACN.  All I can say is that merit will ensure that it is someone competent , already contributing to the good work in Lagos, who will succeed Fashola . There will not be a repeat of the 2 steps forward and 4 steps backward politics common in Nigeria. I think many are too focused on the stories peddled on the net by mischief-makers .
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Gbawe: 1:47pm On May 09, 2011
babaearly:

Ribadu carry go jor, na only mouth your haters get. I like your worldview perspective.

Thank you O jare !!! There are many involved in our politics who are of no use in Nigeria (eg Atiku) let alone being sought outside Nigeria. Yet their fans are here making noise as if Ribadu is anywhere near the loser those they support are .

What will the likes of Atiku, Alao Akala, Gbenga Daniel, Dimeji Bankole and co be doing if GEJ does not find them 'something'? Ribadu , like Okonjo-Iweala and Ezekwesili, strolls into an International position only available to a small sphere of technocrats and some people are here making noise as if he was ever (like Atiku) one of those "do or die" politicians whose fate is made or marred by an election win or loss. Comical seeing folks laughing at themselves.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by kabarka(m): 1:49pm On May 09, 2011
fashola shld be wise enough to groom a few succeesors that will be fully acceptable to all party member not some persons that will be imposed on the members

ACN should'nt risk losing lagos.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by beejaei: 2:02pm On May 09, 2011

I think so too but , in the end, he may just not be interested in working for a GEJ Government. I think he could have remained here to work on building a political base and forging alliances, with an eye on the future, but the need to get out , for now , may have been too much for a core technocrat who , as I have stated repeatedly , is involved because of patriotism like Gani Fawehinmi, Fola Adeola , Femi Falana, Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili et al.

It was the same with Okonjo Iweala and Ezekwesili. They answered the call to do their bit but , IMO , left with frustration and perhaps regret at not getting the chance to do more. This move for Ribadu , if true , at the very least, proves that he made no deals with GEJ otherwise he would be enjoying a 'juicy' portfolio in Nigeria rather than working for the UN in Afghanistan. It also proves that Ribadu was not involved because of money as folks touted . He will certainly be very well paid as a UN advisor but he could literally opt to be Part of GEJ's GNU to make billions if he is a shallow and materialistic person .

So true and articulately put.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by Gbawe: 2:08pm On May 09, 2011
kabarka:

fashola shld be wise enough to groom a few succeesors that will be fully acceptable to all party member not some persons that will be imposed on the members

ACN should'nt risk losing lagos.

Contrary to what folks think , Fashola will have an input in identifying a candidate who will carry on all the good work being done after the Lagos Governor leaves the State. It is a formula that worked well in producing Fashola himself and the entire Party is aware of that. Just leave internet theorist who know nothing , in reality, continue to display fantasy , at odds with reality, with their noise portraying Tinubu as an uber powerful "fascist" ala Mussolini.
Re: Ribadu Moves To Kabul, Afghanistan To Fight Corruption by LongOne1(m): 2:44pm On May 09, 2011
Of all countries, why Afghanistan?

Wish him good luck though, hope he uses tact and diplomacy when fighting corruption, before he gets blown sky high.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AWOLOWO'S CRIMES AGAINST IGBOS / Igbo Vs Yoruba. / The Chategories Of People Who Don't Want Igbos In SW/NORTHERN NIGERIA...#FACTS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.