Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? (7218 Views)

Poll: The Reason For Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigeria is :-

Tribal: 25% (23 votes)
Political: 24% (22 votes)
Religious: 50% (45 votes)
This poll has ended

Jonathan Spent N3.5tn Pension Fund On Recurrent Expenditure – Oshiomhole / . / Can Someone Explain These Terms "recurrent" & "capital" Expenditure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by rajiade: 7:39am On May 10, 2011
Most time when any form of crisis enrupts in the north people and even the government are very fast as tagging 'religious crisis' without taking time to study the trend and causes of such crisis. Since such crisis has been synonymous to only the northerners despite we have muslims and cristains among them. Even in the south-west where muslims and christains leave mutualy there have been no record of such. Also in the south east where majority are christains and where even majority of them show great despise for other religion there have been no record of such even when few of them are even converting to be muslims and other forms of religion. In other to get to the depth of this debate, we have to put religion aside and study the behaviour, ideology and climatic influence of an average northerner being a christain or muslim.
It is no doubt that all tribes or individual inhabiting the northern hemisphere or the northern region of any country have a treat of aggresivenes.
Secondly, the ideoly of an average hausa man is to dominate and be supreme over other people that are not of his tribe. This makes them see the ideology of other tribe as inferior and would want to enforce theirs. Lets look at some instances. It is not new that in most crisis that have been tagged as religious in the north, the northerners stil go ahead to kill muslims that are not of their tribe and even born their mosque. There has been no crisis of the north in nigeria where a non northern muslim havent been a victim. They are indirectly saying that since you are not from our tribe, all u hold or know is null and void. It is not new that an average hausa man being a christain or muslim would always b reluctant to worship in a gathering where other tribe leads. When it also comes to politics and others, that domineering spirit and superiority complex is also there.
Also an hausa man can be tricky in his behaviours and relation with others. When they have something to get from u, they would be very loyal and would want to win your trust. U would also want tn entrust them with every thing when u are convinced with the behaviours they exercise. But when they have their way, they would be your boss and want to dominate u.
So all their fightings irrespective of the cause is always an aggresive means of wanting to enforce their ideology under the desguise of religion because they know they dominate in the acceptance of a particular religion against other tribes. Whats your opinion
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by vladimiros: 1:55pm On May 10, 2011
you forgot to add stupidity

the North has 10% of Nigeria`s productivity

let me not even go to education where they have high illiteracy

but want to be president when they are a near useless region
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by evamathis: 1:57pm On May 10, 2011
Im not so into politics
but I will say its mostly POLITICAL
The politicians have found illiterate able bodies men /women to carry out attacks in favor of the Politicians.
These sly politicians have found the formular of  mixing Religion and Politics thereby playing on the sentiments of these people These men/women believe everything they hear hook ,line and sinker without having or finding the means to verify the information.

Also poverty plays a major role
If these people can be guaranteed some small cash they are willing to do anything especially if they perceive the enemy is a threat to their religion
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by doctorT(m): 1:58pm On May 10, 2011
Its just a problem of forced marriage in 1914. Northerners always want to dominate and when they don't have their way, they turn it to violence.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Basics007: 2:03pm On May 10, 2011
They cant really be separated from one another. There is a thin line btw these entities for people over there. It usually start as one of the three and it degenerates into all the 3.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:19pm On May 10, 2011
@op
why asking question when you are already knows the answer.
Once you mention ' crisis in the north' the followings goes to your mind
1. Foo.ls
2. Blood sucking basta.rs
3.uneducated to differentiate human and 'ramadan goat or sheep'
4. Following 'order' even if it involves 'kill me  i kill you'
5. Lack of sence of ownership,personal belief.
6. Osama bin laden orientation.
All these are made up of CPC
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by HamidO1(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2011
I honestly think several states have peculiar problems. The unifying factors though are poverty and illiteracy. Consider a state like Niger where the Gwari people will tell you they are the bonafide sons of the soil and claim the hausas are trying to overtake their land or Kaduna where the southern Kaduna man will tell you they settled there first and feel overthrown by the hausas. There is existing tension in several states caused by tribal and religious differences, this is further triggered by the elections where everyone tends to align with his/her tribe/religion. Some politicians even go as far as trying to capitalize on such differences which is very bad.
It's a problem that can be solved with proper education, improved standard of living through job creation which will take jobless and hungry youths off the streets. Not much was done by several state governors in the current dispensation, I honestly hope the incoming dispensation will look at this areas.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Sagamite(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2011
Primarily it is illiteracy (High).

The others are all secondary.

Tribal (low) - there are other tribes in Nigeria and they all live in relative peace.

Political (med) - Yes, the Northern leaders have ruined their people's progress and use them as weapons.

Religious (low) - There are muslims in SW too but they are educated and don't go about hacking people to death.

When people send kids (at the age of circa 4) on a reetarded journey of knowledge (madrassas) where they are dehumanised through abuse and lack of parental love, where they are hardly educated to the standards of civilisation, where they are flogged like wild dogs and they are left to fend for themselves, you get the animals called Almajiri that the Northern leaders have produced.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by HamidO1(m): 2:24pm On May 10, 2011
Basics007:

They cant really be separated from one another. There is a thin line btw these entities for people over there. It usually start as one of the three and it degenerates into all the 3.

Well said.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by sheriffman(m): 2:25pm On May 10, 2011
Its a combination of all of the above OP
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by plappville(f): 2:56pm On May 10, 2011
doctorT:

Its just a problem of forced marriage in 1914. Northerners always want to dominate and when they don't have their way, they turn it to violence.

This is so true, and it has to do with thé religion, trying do dominate by force.
I know that politices is one of thé main reason but Religion is thé first.

Religious (low) - There are muslims in SW too but they are educated and don't go about hacking people to death.
Thé reason is because, they are so few in thé SW, and also other religion in thé SW are not voilence as thé muslim as.dont u think they Will all be killed iif they try to raise alarm?
Théy succèedin thé North because they are majority. Religion has alot to play in thé Lifestyle of thèse Northaners.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Sagamite(m): 3:02pm On May 10, 2011
plappville:

Thé reason is because, they are so few in thé SW, and also other religion in thé SW are not voilence as thé muslim as.dont u think they Will all be killed iif they try to raise alarm?
Théy succèedin thé North because they are majority. Religion has alot to play in thé Lifestyle of thèse Northaners.

Muslims are not few in SW, they are 50%.

In places like Kwara and Osun they are over 60%.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Abiodun234: 3:02pm On May 10, 2011
The problem in the north will persist until education up to secondary school level becomes mandatory in the north (this should take care of the Almangiri ).  A more educated north equal a less turbulent north. The only language an illiterate man understand is violence (Check out 'some' Agberos  grin).
Cheers
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by HamidO1(m): 3:09pm On May 10, 2011
plappville:

This is so true, and it has to do with thé religion, trying do dominate by force.

Sharrap and stop saying what you don't know. Take the crisis in Kaduna that happen in year 2000 as a typical example, many Yorubas(Muslims) lost their lives and more had to relocate to their various states. That was the last major crisis in Kaduna before the one of last month. The one in Jos between Fulanis and some communities there is also religious right
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by plappville(f): 3:16pm On May 10, 2011
Hamid O:

Sharrap and stop saying what you don't know. Take the crisis in Kaduna that happen in year 2000 as a typical example, many Yorubas(Muslims) lost their lives and more had to relocate to their various states. That was the last major crisis in Kaduna before the one of last month. The one in Jos between Fulanis and some communities there is also religious right

HOW about the rise in the numbers of radical islamic sects in the north? these radical sects are mostly used by the politicians, it's a Politics religions combination. so u that knows something keep away from me ok. u dont ve to insult me firs
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by HamidO1(m): 3:39pm On May 10, 2011
plappville:

plappville:

HOW about the rise in the numbers of radical islamic sects in the north? these radical sects are mostly used by the politicians, it's a Politics religions combination. so u that knows something keep away from me ok. u dont ve to insult me firs

What I'm telling you basically is that religion isn't first on the list. If it is religion then there won't be peace now because nothing has changed, there are still churches and mosques standing side by side which means both religions can still exist together. Do you believe education not only makes you a better person but also helps in understanding your religion and teaches you how to relate with people? This tells you that illiteracy which is mostly due to poverty makes this people more aggressive. Sorry for telling you sharrap earlier, didn't really mean it.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by joecrack(m): 3:39pm On May 10, 2011
Unfortunately extreme islam has taken roots in the north and this has blosomed due to illiteracy and poverty,politicians in the region who are the most corrupt and immoral people in this country have been able to roll on this good{bad}will to satisfy their own selfish ambitions because they've undestood that one of the very effective ways to cage their people is through a babaric inhumane concept of almajiri which perpetually keep this people on the down low,but their own kids go to westernize schools and the circle goes on and on.Religious leaders whom 99.9 percent of them graduate from the almajiri process are so daft that they could be tossed to and fro with a few bucks.Its so weird as i write their is 7 day prayer and fasting going on amongst some islamic circles for the death of the kaduna state gov. Patrick yakowa,namadi sambo and goodluck jonathan,their plea is for allah to kill them before the may 29 swearing in.can u imagine.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by daroz(m): 3:41pm On May 10, 2011
All of the above and more, iliteracy and poverty
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by baslone: 4:02pm On May 10, 2011
plappville:

Thé reason is because, they are so few in thé SW,

This is very untrue!
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by tnthommie(m): 4:20pm On May 10, 2011
Its quite obvious that those blood suckers are bein sponsord by some northern elites, lets say no to this unholy marriage,
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by asadss: 4:24pm On May 10, 2011
My fellow Nairalander's stop accusing people like that, if not recently there is no history of crises in north are you people frogot the crisis hapen in your places?
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by plappville(f): 4:29pm On May 10, 2011
baslone:

This is very untrue!

In terms of Nigeria's major ethnic groups religious affiliations, the Hausa ethnic group in the North is 95% Muslims and 5% Christians, the West which is the Yoruba tribe is 60% Christians and 30% Muslim with 10% going to adherents of other African religions while the Igbos in the East and the Ijaw in the South are 99% Christians(Catholics).

[s]Maybe the recent results has made it untrue[/s].

Hamid O:

What I'm telling you basically is that religion isn't first on the list. If it is religion then there won't be peace now because nothing has changed, there are still churches and mosques standing side by side which means both religions can still exist together. Do you believe education not only makes you a better person but also helps in understanding your religion and teaches you how to relate with people? This tells you that illiteracy which is mostly due to poverty makes this people more aggressive. Sorry for telling you sharrap earlier, didn't really mean it. 

I GET UR POINT ABOUT THE ILLITERACY AND POVERTY REASONS.

PEACE!!!
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by kingchild(m): 4:36pm On May 10, 2011
As an Eye witness of the last Mayhem, i think this animals are so crazy they acts like wounded lion, seeking revenge i pray that the Good Lord safe us from the claws.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by plappville(f): 4:42pm On May 10, 2011
asadss:

My fellow Nairalander's stop accusing people like that, if not recently there is no history of crises in north are you people frogot the crisis hapen in your places?  

Is there ever a year we will not hear of crisis in the North? Just take a look at all the cases of religious crisis in the Northern part of Nigeria, just a few i can mention, ,Kano riots of 1991, the maitatsine riots of the 80s,  sharia riots of 2000 that took so many lifes, the Jos religious crisis of 2004 etc.

Yes there are very few crisis in other parts of the Nation, but not as brutal ans are frequent as that of the North.
And reason are very clear.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by ddippset(m): 5:40pm On May 10, 2011
i lived so long in the north. every crisis has a religious undertone. i laugh always when our leaders try 2 fool us and themselves when they say these crises are political. TRASH! the fanatical muslim guy wants all xtians wiped off the earth. if he quarrels with his wife he goes out to set the nearest church on fire or send a dagger tru the closest xtian to him. ALL NORTHERN CRISES HAVE RELIGIOUS UNDERTONES.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 10, 2011
who cares? We the HAUSA/FULANI dont want this your nigeria, how i hope none of our leaders is hungry for this stupid oil money. But people are starting to wake up
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by ddippset(m): 5:55pm On May 10, 2011
DivideUs:

who cares? We the HAUSA/FULANI dont want this your nigeria, how i hope none of our leaders is hungry for this silly oil money. But people are starting to wake up
you are very correct my guy. these greedy leaders have the blood of the slain on their heads. forcing very different people to co- inhabit just because of greed. xtians will continue to be slain in the north and the muslims in the south will continue to go free because the xtians there will spend days contemplating repraisals.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by plappville(f): 6:11pm On May 10, 2011
ddippset:

i lived so long in the north. every crisis has a religious undertone. i laugh always when our leaders try 2 fool us and themselves when they say these crises are political. TRASH! the fanatical muslim guy wants all xtians wiped off the earth. if he quarrels with his wife he goes out to set the nearest church on fire or send a dagger tru the closest xtian to him. ALL NORTHERN CRISES HAVE RELIGIOUS UNDERTONES.

This has been my point, all they do is use politics to cover up. sorry to say, but i think the Hausas has the ARAB blood in thier vains. They dont respect other, but want others to respect and bow for them! shameless barbarians!.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by rajiade: 6:26pm On May 10, 2011
@plappville
plappville:

In terms of Nigeria's major ethnic groups religious affiliations, the Hausa ethnic group in the North is 95% Muslims and 5% Christians, the West which is the Yoruba tribe is 60% Christians and 30% Muslim with 10% going to adherents of other African religions while the Igbos in the East and the Ijaw in the South are 99% Christians(Catholics). .
i dont know where you got your figures from 2009 religious survey 50.4% of Nigeria's population were Muslims, 48.2% were Christian (15% Protestant, 13.7% Catholic, and 19.6% other Christian), and followers of other religions were 1.4%. The core north is largely Muslim, there are large numbers of both Muslims and Christians in the Middle Belt, including the Federal Capital Territory. In the west of the country, especially in the Yoruba land, the population is said to be evenly divided between Muslims and Christians, while in the southeastern regions are predominantly Christians with widespread traditional beliefs, Catholics, Anglicans, and Methodists are the majority with few traditional beliefs, while the Niger Delta region is mainly Christian. So the domination of Muslims in the north does not translate to them oppressing others, if that where to be the case why dint they go after their fellow northerners that are Christians? Also why didn't the majority of south west Muslims oppress their fellow minor Christians in states like kwara, kogi and osun.
I can choose to support the opinion that the level of illiteracy and poverty among the northerners  has a lot to the with this. But nevertheless, its has more to do with the believe of an average northerner that they are superior to other tribes and also that Nigeria is their property so all other tribes irrespective of weather they share the same religion or ideology is inferior and should submit to them.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by kholis(m): 7:12pm On May 10, 2011
From my point of view, It has nothing to do with religion. It is largely political. The Hausa leaders purposely keep on retarding the mentality of the ill-fated militia called 'Almajiris' because such zombies are used to perpetuate violence which is the political culture of the north.

That is why violent lines were spotted in some pre- election political statements of Atiku and Buhari. The north hate it when they are not in power and can kill any number of people to be in power. However, they use religious ethos to propel the uninformed and God-forsaken 'Almajiris' to effect political violence.
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by ak47mann(m): 7:23pm On May 10, 2011
is tribal cus they killed a Yoruba Muslim undecided undecided undecided
Re: Recurrent Crisis In Northern Nigerha; Tribal, Political Or Religious? by nogames: 7:31pm On May 10, 2011
well, i am from Osun state, i dont know were you got your figure that osun is 60% Muslim, Although some area are dominated by Muslims, other area like Ijeshas are christian, even if you go to those area that claimed to be dominated by Muslims. you will find out that the numbers of churches out-weight mosques. Maybe the assertion was based of olden days settlers,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Killed In Fresh Jos Riots / Wike Faults Critics Of Patience Jonathan’s Honorary Degree Award / Us Visit : Buhari Fumbles Again (video) - Igberetvnews.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.