Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,475 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:23 AM

Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? (25392 Views)

A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? / A Yoruba Name For A Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 8:03am On May 10, 2011
So, I am recently married to a Yoruba man who I am madly in love with. smiley I'm fascinated and enamored by his culture, and lately I've been thinking about getting a tattoo of some tribal art. I'm thinking an interlacing pattern or a bird (since birds seem to be an important symbol in ancient yoruba culture.) I would probably have it done on one of my feet or below my shoulder blade. Anyway, I have not been able to find any good examples online to show a tattoo artist, can anyone help me out with some links? Or pics of your own tattoos? TIA for any replies.

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 2:13am On May 11, 2011
Tribal marks, not tattoos.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 2:18am On May 11, 2011
Nah, I don't want to cut my flesh. smiley
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by BABE3: 6:24am On May 11, 2011
This is pretty cute and feminine. smiley

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by aloyemeka2: 11:44am On May 11, 2011
Never give a mark on your body because of a man or love. It is a very stupid move.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 12:58pm On May 11, 2011
bayosgirl:

Nah, I don't want to cut my flesh. smiley

thought you said you loved him.

so you can still hold back in some areas?

and in what way does a tattoo not cut your flesh?

anyway, you can tattoo one of the various yoruba deities like sango, etc. Just be sure to add the name so people can know who it is.

undecided

one has to wonder if the man would like to see you tattoo something "yoruba " on yourself? undecided
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by InkedNerd(f): 8:46pm On May 11, 2011
Perhaps you could try these smiley

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by InkedNerd(f): 8:50pm On May 11, 2011
Last pic wink

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 11:05pm On May 11, 2011
Poster

any particular reason why you prefer to symbolize your own yoruba with birds instead of other things like cocoa, trees, etc.

Just curious.

Do you have other ids here?
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 1:24am On May 12, 2011
tpia@:

thought you said you loved him.

so you can still hold back in some areas?

and in what way does a tattoo not cut your flesh?

anyway, you can tattoo one of the various yoruba deities like sango, etc. Just be sure to add the name so people can know who it is.

undecided

one has to wonder if the man would like to see you tattoo something "yoruba " on yourself? undecided

Wow, I didn't expect this much hostility!!!! I would say if you have a problem with tattoos, or (horrors!) white people tattooing themselves with African symbols then you should GTFO this thread. But to answer your questions,

1. Tribal markings are not the same as tattoos. One is digging a blade deep into the skin to produce scars; the other is injecting ink in the skin with a very fine needle. I've seen tats done in Nigeria and I believe they use a different method than we do in the U.S. and Europe. The tattoos here use a finer instrument and they don't bleed. Honestly it's my body and if I feel comfortable with one and not the other it's my business. !

2. He's not thrilled with the idea of tattoos in general - we are Christians and he interprets the Bible quite literally which says not to mark yourself. But the Bible also talks about stoning people to death and offering a rape victim to her rapist as his wife, so one has to think about interpreting everything in the Bible literally.

2 Likes

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 1:26am On May 12, 2011
tpia@:

Poster

any particular reason why you prefer to symbolize your own yoruba with birds instead of other things like cocoa, trees, etc.

Just curious.

Do you have other ids here?

I didn't say I was set on birds. I just mentioned them as a possibility. I also like the interlacing patterns found on baskets and clothing.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 2:55am On May 12, 2011
I think you need to drop the attitude.

You came on the thread to announce you're getting a tattoo of a bird because to you, that symbolizes ancient yoruba culture.

Are you an orisha worshipper from overseas because the way you quickly jumped up to claim christianity only further serves to confirm my suspicion that you know exactly what you're doing and what you're implying.

I dont buy the bug- eyed peaches persona, sorry.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 2:58am On May 12, 2011
Excuse me, I think you're the one with the attitude here. Wtf does "bug eyed peaches persona" mean, anyway? If you don't like me for whatever reason, why do you insist on continuing to post here?

2 Likes

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 2:59am On May 12, 2011
And why not ask your so-called husband for ideas abi what concerns others with whatever you decide to do to yourself in the name of getting a man.

And the yoruba thing is tribal marks, not tattoos, as you should know if you indeed studied "ancient yoruba culture" (whatever that is) so if the thing is shacking you just get those.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:01am On May 12, 2011
Wetin person no go hear for this world.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 3:03am On May 12, 2011
"So-called husband" , "In the name of getting a man, " I'm MARRIED, sweetheart. Even if I wasn't, this tattoo or anything I decide to do to myself has nothing to do with pleasing anyone else. Hence why I really don't care about your insults. If I find a pattern or design I like, I might get it. And I'll feel proud of it.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 3:08am On May 12, 2011
I'm not an "Orisha worshipper." I just happen to think foreign cultures/religions are cool. I always have. Is that OK with you? No? Ok. I don't give a f***.

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:09am On May 12, 2011
Helloo?

How does any of it concern me?

I've suggested cocoa or palm oil but if you like you can choose something from equatorial guinea or switzerland and label it ancient yoruba culture.

Not my problem unless of course you open thread to discuss it.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:12am On May 12, 2011
Seems to me like what you're trying to do is sell market and you don see mugu.

It might put you in a better light if you simply came clean and said that's what you have in mind.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 4:08am On May 12, 2011
tpia@:

Seems to me like what you're trying to do is sell market and you don see mugu.

It might put you in a better light if you simply came clean and said that's what you have in mind.

Me, mugu? Go back to your 419 omo alee ni e.

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by InkedNerd(f): 6:11am On May 12, 2011
bayosgirl:

Me, mugu? Go back to your 419 omo alee ni e.

bayosgirl, I gotta give it to ya. Ya got a lotta moxie. I see that you hold you own. Do whatever you like with your body just as long as your happy and ok with it. You have my full support wink

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:10am On May 13, 2011
So this f.ool knows the meaning of 419 and omo ale.

Ee ma roloshi.

Didnt take too long for your ugly face to be uncovered now did it.

Were.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 5:08am On May 13, 2011
Bleep OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am no longer responding to this thread. angry
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 5:26am On May 13, 2011
Talk about ugly face, nice picture you got there.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Nobody: 5:42am On May 13, 2011
bayosgirl:

bleep OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am no longer responding to this thread. angry

chill. Its okay,.

I've never heard of a Yoruba tattoo tho. All we have are tribal marks, and the practice of tribal marks are fading anyways. There are largely expressed tribal marks and then there are small cute ones.

No Nigeria ethnicity has a specific "tatoo", it's not even part of our culture.

For a tattoo that is close to anything Yoruba and one that is of a bird, you can get a white bird, I guess. Or you could have a tattoo of Yoruba orange waist beads around your tummy and ankles. Or you could have a tattoo fo famous Yoruba shekeres (pix below)

[img]http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/85699/85699,1265700151,1/stock-photo-portrait-of-an-african-american-woman-wearing-traditional-african-clothing-and-holding-a-shekere-in-46768759.jpg[/img]

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 6:50am On May 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

chill. Its okay,.

I've never heard of a Yoruba tattoo tho. All we have are tribal marks, and the practice of tribal marks are fading anyways. There are largely expressed tribal marks and then there are small cute ones.

No Nigeria ethnicity has a specific "tatoo", it's not even part of our culture.

For a tattoo that is close to anything Yoruba and one that is of a bird, you can get a white bird, I guess. Or you could have a tattoo of Yoruba orange waist beads around your tummy and ankles. Or you could have a tattoo fo famous Yoruba shekeres (pix below)

[img]http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/85699/85699,1265700151,1/stock-photo-portrait-of-an-african-american-woman-wearing-traditional-african-clothing-and-holding-a-shekere-in-46768759.jpg[/img]

Thanks for a decent and civil reply, I'm normally a polite, reserved person, but I'm frankly shocked that anyone would be offended at the suggestion of a complete stranger getting a tattoo that has some cultural/religious significance. My husband said that if any foreigner was interested in his culture, he'd be delighted. We can only guess that this person must be racist against white people. I had naively assumed that all Nigerians were as open and accepting as my husbands family is to me, but I guess not.

Yes I know tattoos aren't a part of the Yoruba culture, I just thought having a symbol tattooed on me would be cute. But it's unlikely I'll go through with it, anyway. If I want to make the art a part of my/our life, I might just decorate with some masks and such in the house.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 11:01am On May 13, 2011
I think anyone with sense would realize there must be something wrong with the way you presented yourself here.

In some cultures, givimg the thumbs up sign is considered offensive, so if you go to such a place and start giving thumbs up to everybody in sight, i guess it's racism when you get negative feedback.

If you posted this type of thread and didnt get the kind of answer you were looking for, then shouldnt it be obvious to you that something is wrong with your original premise. However, i might be giving you too much credit here.

I believe tattoo are a personal thing and even yorubas themselves do not get "yoruba" tattoos but rather whatever tattoo they feel reflects what they want. So i dont know why you feel people are obliged to dance to your tune when they dont know what the heck you're talking about. And i do not know or care what colour you say you are- besides i am also white- so spare me the sob story. Sneaky thing. Didnt i say before that you know exactly what you're doing, with your multiple ids.

Iwin.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 11:03am On May 13, 2011
So now you admit knowing tattoos arent a part of yoruba culture.

See how your story changes with every post.

Rubbish.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by ezeagu(m): 4:35pm On May 13, 2011
Tattoos are part of some Nigerian ethnic groups.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by jason123: 10:54pm On May 13, 2011
This [b]Tpia @[/b]of a person has some serious problems mehn!! lol! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Egbagirl(f): 4:26am On May 16, 2011
ahahahahahahahahhahah I cant stop laughing!!!! tpia@ totally cracks me up!

But seriously at poster, if your husband is against tattoos, then why are you still going ahead to get one?? This might just be asking for trouble from your husband. It might be your body but then dont forget he is still the head and i mean he kinda owns your body if you know what I mean?. But that is up to you to decide sha. Its between you and your man. but really talk about it with him first because he might not be as excited as you when you show up at home with a tat on your shoulder.

Im not sure what you mean by birds seem to be an important symbol in ancient yoruba culture. Ive never heard of them. Fellow NLders, pls enlighten me if there is something about my culture that I do not know.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by okooyinbo(m): 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2011
@Bayosgirl! Actually, tattoos are a part of Yoruba customs. It is no more common with the modern day Yorubas. That's the reason someone would claim it is not a part of Yoruba culture. The young people sha. In my years of sojourn on this planet earth, I have seen quite a lot of Yoruba women with tattoos. However, it is not comparable to want you get in the West. Yoruba tattoos are/were mostly (religiously) symbolic and not artistic. And yeah, we got the "ethnic" marks too, But there were (are still) certainly tattoos in Yoruba culture.

I think I recently watched a film on youtube where an authority in cultural thing was discussing the difference of tattoos and "ethnic" marks in the Yoruba context. I just cant recollect the name of the clip.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Salihu Tanko, Emir Of Kagara Is Dead / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates 1 Year On Throne. Obasanjo, Soyinka, Igbinedion Attend / Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.