Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,499 members, 7,770,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:07 AM

Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? (25394 Views)

A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? / A Yoruba Name For A Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 5:13am On Jun 04, 2011
I don't know why she is so angry all the time, truly,
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:55pm On Jun 12, 2011
this baysogirl has so much attitude. tpia@ was jus givin ideas.  i wonder wat these jobless white men are doin in Nairaland.n i thought dey was tired aa rap.in our country already. i suggest she thoroughly mark her whole body with ritual incisions n tribal markings with aa sharp razor n sum good indigo, in order to prove her ""love"" to her husband. and also she whip herself thoroughly n howl at d moon n donate aa 100 thoroughbred cattle to her husband. that gnna please her husband arrigh.  cool

[img]http://3.bp..com/_w4xcR4-kC_c/TGBJutlSQYI/AAAAAAAAAn8/hSK0j7M4uhU/s1600/Mujer_escarificada_en_al_regin_yoruba.jpg[/img]
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by ikooko(m): 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2011
Firstly, I like to commend the interest shown by bayosgirl in Yoruba's culture, whatever motive is her personal issue.
Secondly, some contributors are indirectly mixing Yoruba culture with foreign culture. I may be new to NL but my culture is not alien to me as a Yorubaman with experience in traditional practices if you know what i mean.

For the purpose of education, Tattoo is not alien to Yoruba culture at all, in fact it has been part of Yoruba tradition all along. if we had not embraced foreign culture more than ours, this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

Tribal marks and Tattoo are two different things in Yorubaland. while tribal marks is applied for identification sake to differentiate between the several tribes and states, tattoo is for the purpose of fashion and belief.
Tattoo is perceived to be unpopular because our culture frowned at nudity, only the immediate family members/group can see it and it is common among the female folks. In most cases, it is done to either show adulthood of females, or to show status, strength, royalty, family title. etc etc.

I have seen traditional tattoo in the form of Yemoja, Ose sango, skulls, bird, snake, lizard, calabash. though they are not as beautiful as we have in modern days, but clear enough to pass a message. Tattoo are done using wood spikes, cashew fluid, ashes and fire.

In my family in Ondo state, our tatoo is a sign of a sword, because my we are warriors, my friend from Owu abeokuta has skull of a Ram as their.

Please lets embrace our culture tightly and encourage those that are interested.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 9:10pm On Jun 20, 2011
e ma sa ku ntori obinrin.

development should be your priority for now:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=694731.msg8553824#msg8553824
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Ishano: 9:05am On Apr 28, 2016
Some of us Yorubas are so ignorant of our own culture sha! Amazing. Tattoo has long been part of the Yoruba culture for thousands of years but given how large the tribe is not all Yoruba territories believe in the system nor know the true meaning behind it. My Grandmother from Ogun state, was covered with them.

That being said a true son of Yoruba and Orisha believer should know 'Ori'/ 'orii' (Means Destiny Not head) or 'Ona' ( A map/destiny). Very similar to.Fulanis and Peul people of Benin Republic. Also, look up some pictures of Yorubas from the early 1900s and later. Do not let foreign beliefs deprive you from Knowing your history. That's all, you're welcome.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Salihu Tanko, Emir Of Kagara Is Dead / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates 1 Year On Throne. Obasanjo, Soyinka, Igbinedion Attend / Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.