Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,811 members, 7,802,610 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart (4202 Views)

Truck Carrying Frozen Chicken Spills Content After A 3-vehicle Collision / TSA Freezes Interbank Market, Bank Transactions FROZEN!! / Dangote's Brother Sani's Accounts Frozen Over N5.2bn Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by igbogolo: 3:15pm On May 10, 2011
I am seriously thinking of a fresh vegetable mart. Its very difficult getting fresh stuff in Nigeria seriously. The carrots we eat are all shrivelled, tomatoes are all rotten and badly preserved. poorly handled and full of germs.

I am wondering if there is any opportunity for a frozen food vegetable market in Nigeria. I know there are a lot of vegetables wasting in the country but I think people may just patronise properly preserved and fresh vegetable stores. Or are we just content picking rotten and nutritionally deficient fruits and vegetables?

What do you think?
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by Pukkah: 8:08pm On May 15, 2011
It's a good idea but you should NOT forget to factor power (electricity) into your business plan.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by igbogolo: 9:55pm On May 15, 2011
My Dear,

As if you know what my friend and i are just discussing. i no wan buy petrol die on top cold carrot. nigeria sef worry no light nothing. how i wan begin sef transport carrot from Jos?

Me sef I don tire oh
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by mayjil: 10:48pm On May 15, 2011
Na small small, one day we too go de where we supos de. with constant electricity these things can be done.

Let us not give up
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by oderemo(m): 11:14am On May 16, 2011
the preservation/frozen buss. is a huge avenue to ginger grin the economy, its actually a trillion naira buss. hopefully one day the govt. will look beyond their noses and give us CONSTANT spply of electricity, without which its a pipe dream. pls i beg of you dont invest your moni yet ohh. strart your research for the next 3/4 yrs, maybe by then.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by GODSON2009(m): 10:00pm On May 16, 2011
why would you do a frozen veg business as opposed to fresh vegetables? ppl pay a lot for fresh vegetable abroad because it has to be flown all the way from africa and other places you have acess to fresh veg in nigeria cheap
like others have mentioned power will be a challenge as well and its just an unnecessary overhead
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by boneyone(m): 2:09pm On May 17, 2011
I learned something from an older colleague, to start a business you calculate factors. You have to just accept the fact that light is an issue so when doing your calculations factor in cost of power, and see what margin you have as profit. if it pays, then go ahead with the biz, when ever Power supply becomes steady you call the savings extra profit.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by icemachine(m): 11:18am On May 19, 2011
This is a good idea. As the hot weather always change the food get bad fast. If you want to keep food fresh, you can choose following way:
1. Keep the food in cold room for storing
2. Using ice to keep the food keep fresh

The advantage of the cold room is that it can last for longer time than ice, but the cost is higher.

Regarding the shortage of electricity, you can power the machine by generator set, lots people choose this way to run business in Nigeria.

Hope this information can help you . If you need support in this line, you can contact with me freely.

www.chinaicemakingmachine.com
Email:sales@chinaicemakingmachine.com
Mob:+86-13671510188
Fax:+86-2139650098
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by toyemz(f): 3:13am On May 21, 2011
@igbogolo

As if you know what my friend and i are just discussing. i no wan buy petrol die on top cold carrot. nigeria sef worry no light nothing. how i wan begin sef transport carrot from Jos?

here's a way i know that is used locally
i used to have a tomatoe and carrot farm in Jos
basically the carrot is removed just before it ripens and left with its leaves on
when loading,you put loads of grass underneath,between and on top of eg 3 sections of carrots
you try and wet along the way as often as posible
yes you will have a few rotten ones,
but you d be surprised at the ones that make it
then you think of the next level with is refridgerationb
good luck
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by igbogolo: 6:09pm On May 21, 2011
Thanks Toyemz.

How big do you think the vegetable farming is in the north especially Jos? I served in Toro Bauchi State but i used to go to firin gada market in Jos for vegetables. Its a large market but I am not very sure of the scale of farming there.

Can you elaborate on this? what other vegetables grow there that can survive a few days before it gets down south?
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by delgroveng(m): 6:23am On May 24, 2011
l strongly suggest u go in to less risk free strategy though stil in the vegetable,fruit line.Here are two options opening Silos at strategic locations close to your consumer market and not too far from the farmers.This will reduce the total hours goods have to stay without adequate preservation.
Another is a processing plant to process fresh produce right from farms to plants , so cleaned,processed with preservatives,packaged or in liquid form.This gives u more shelf life
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by garrygreen: 3:35pm On May 24, 2011
Frozen vegetables can be bought at very affordable prices throughout the year. The best part about these types of vegetables that they've come cropping for your convenience. It's quite possible that the vegetables, which are currently not taste as good as fresh vegetables. Therefore, to enhance the taste and we can overcome this limitation and add season flavors of frozen vegetables.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by madamL(f): 1:18pm On May 25, 2011
Good idea even with the power supply problem. if you can replicate the display and storage pattern at grocery and produce sections at oyibo stores, that will be great. also if you can find a way of sourcing the produce at very cheap prices, there will be some good money left after paying for petrol.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by cvibe: 11:42am On May 26, 2011
@Igbogolo,

I'll sell a franchise to you so you can hit the ground running. Forget about electricity.
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by delgroveng(m): 12:09pm On May 26, 2011
What franchise are u insinuating, there are virtually no noticeable players in this industry.So am quite flustered by ur suggestion
l suggest u look into a partnership or a consortium of investors which u can equally source from this forum.If u go into this venture in a very small scale the odds that it will run out of operating capital is very high.To also handle the high variable cost the lack of constant power shall inflict in your stream of revenue, u need to have a very robust sales. Scale of economics will give u monopoly over certain states, u get my drift.Huge doesn't mean u need to foot all the bills,Capital goods can be leased and converted to equity later when u are profitable. delgroveng.com
Re: Frozen Vegetable/fruit Mart by emmaugbo: 5:11am On Aug 13, 2017
toyemz:
@igbogolo

here's a way i know that is used locally
i used to have a tomatoe and carrot farm in Jos
basically the carrot is removed just before it ripens and left with its leaves on
when loading,you put loads of grass underneath,between and on top of eg 3 sections of carrots
you try and wet along the way as often as posible
yes you will have a few rotten ones,
but you d be surprised at the ones that make it
then you think of the next level with is refridgerationb
good luck

whats the cost of a 50 kg wieght of carrot nd cucumber pls. Thnaks

(1) (Reply)

Cool Business With Low Capital / 8 Steps Process To Become Self Employed In Nigeria / How To Obtain A Money Lender's Licence In Lagos State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.