Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software (7562 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ngpolling: 3:22pm On May 10, 2011
Ever wondered who developed the solution that was used to register voters for the just concluded elections?
Ever wondered about the technology and all that went into it?
well wonder no more.

To its credit, OpenVR can boast of

- Aggregating over 85 Tera-bytes of Data
- Printing 73M+ Voter's Cards
- Generating over 4,600,000 Pages of Reports in PDF
- Collecting over 500,000,000 Fingerprints
- Installation on over 132,000 machines and hundreds of servers
- An effective one-click patching system
- Full Integrated AFIS

Built from ground up to be very secure and unobtrusive at the same time, OpenVR software runs on Ubuntu – a Linux Operating System and supports a variety of fingerprint scanners, external hard drives, printers and web-cameras. It also features an in-built Automatic Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) to reject multiple registration attempts. It comes as a bundled solution that works right out of the box, without any configuration required on most hardware.

We created it as a one-click-to-install solution – it automatically installs and configures the video drivers, sound drivers, network and wireless card drivers, scanners, printers and other devices. We chose Ubuntu for several reasons including – ease of customization, rigorous quality assurance, hardware compatibility and a renowned security track record.
you can read all about it http://lagosgtug..com/2011/05/openvr-story-behind-story.html
enjoy!
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by jimblaze(m): 3:33pm On May 17, 2011
wow i cant believe this was done in naija!kudos to femi taiwo and the rest of the team!
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Seun(m): 12:33pm On May 20, 2011
The Team:
Nyimbi ODERO – System Architect

Ronke DOMINGO – Project Manager

Femi TAIWO – Lead Software Developer

Sola AJAYI – Software Developer

Fisayo ORIMOLOYE – Software Developer

Doyin KASSEM – UI Designer

CHUKWUEMEKA Ujam - Biometrics Expert

The site: http://www.openvr.org/
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Odunnu: 12:43pm On May 20, 2011
Wow! We sure have hidden talents in ths country
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by kulutempa: 1:03pm On May 20, 2011
I don't think this thread is a good idea. The tribalists are going to have a field day today. Blah, blah, blah, how come there are no northerners on the development team, how come they are mostly Yoruba who are likely to favour ACN, how come there is no national character, yada, yada, yada.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ak47mann(m): 1:14pm On May 20, 2011
kulutempa:

I don't think this thread is a good idea. The tribalists are going to have a field day today. Blah, blah, blah, how come there are no northerners on the development team, how come they are mostly Yoruba who are likely to favour ACN, how come there is no national character, yada, yada, yada.
grin grin grin grin
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by GoldCircle: 1:15pm On May 20, 2011
but sincerely, in a country of over 150million people, this shouldn't be a big deal! we aught to have past this stage a long time ago. anyway, kudos to Jega and the team that agreed for a Nigerian company to do this! it can only get better.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by VALIDATOR: 1:18pm On May 20, 2011
This is great news !!!.
If we give our people the opportunity,they will perform well.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by MMM2(m): 1:37pm On May 20, 2011
nice work,
my bros una try.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by bandely(m): 1:53pm On May 20, 2011
kulutempa:

lolz! grin grin grin grin
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Dandabai(m): 1:53pm On May 20, 2011
I wonder. grin
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by omo9ja1(m): 2:03pm On May 20, 2011
good start, but need improvement
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by delagasky(m): 2:16pm On May 20, 2011
exactly what was this software able to achieve? undecided
there was multiple registration (i know some1 who registered on 2 states)
the software and the records was not consulted during the actual voting (my neighbor's brother voted in place of my neighbor)
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Kx: 2:42pm On May 20, 2011
delagasky:

the software and the records was not consulted during the actual voting (my neighbor's brother voted in place of my neighbor)

I just wonder.
Can we pinpoint the gains achieved with the data captured with the software
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ZUBBYNWA(m): 2:50pm On May 20, 2011
thanks for a job welldone
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by md4real(m): 3:20pm On May 20, 2011
Kx:

I just wonder.
Can we pinpoint the gains achieved with the data captured with the software
hell yes, its was done by nigerians. grin
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by seunlayi(m): 3:28pm On May 20, 2011
good work
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by bros1234(m): 3:29pm On May 20, 2011
We should learn to encourage talents among us. They have tried. There will never be a perfect solution any day. Facebook is in continuous developmet. Wordpress, Joomla, name it, every solution will continue to be improved upon. So you lashers sorry for you. These guys have done great. More improvements later
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by KokoBeware: 3:42pm On May 20, 2011
exactly what was this software able to achieve? Undecided
Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

The software was not meant to fish out multiple registrations at national level, was within a particular state, even if u register in two state on election day how would you move between the states to vote,

Instead of complaining why dont you congratulate the young men that did a good job at least it was done in naija
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by logica(m): 4:08pm On May 20, 2011
Firstly Nyimbi is not Nigerian; last I checked he's Kenyan. Secondly the software is touted as open-source; I don't see any sources on the site. Scanty (actually meaning "no"wink information.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 20, 2011
Hey! These softwares came along with the DDC machines and we all know they were imported. Who is deceiving who here? 
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Akosbaba(m): 5:04pm On May 20, 2011
impressive
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by sandokaa: 5:15pm On May 20, 2011
The Chukwuemeka among them must be born and bred in Lagos, so he drank, ate and inhaled Yoruba air. That is why he is intelligent to be counted among the best, which are ALL YORUBAs. Am proud of Oduduwa sons and daughters. Keep the intellectual flag flying. We are born to lead intellectually and others follow!
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 20, 2011
delagasky:

why did your guy have to waste his time and energy when he could easily have done same in the same polling unit. i found double entries for an elderly woman that came to vote during the nass elections.i accredited her using the vin number she brought cheesy
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by JUO(m): 5:40pm On May 20, 2011
we are improving
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by logica(m): 6:16pm On May 20, 2011
koastar:

Hey! These softwares came along with the DDC machines and we all know they were imported. Who is deceiving who here? 
What were the DDC machines - just laptops, cameras, finger-print scanners (biometrics) and software. I think the only thing that was imported was the actual hardware and then they had to install the software to drive the hardware. But I may be wrong. I any case, there are quite a number of biometrics engines that can be easily used to put stuff like this together. And if the software was open-source, where is the source? There is pretty much no information on the site about the software.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by adeshsam(m): 6:49pm On May 20, 2011
Kudos to Mr. Femi Taiwo and the remaining crew, A great work.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by md4real(m): 7:26pm On May 20, 2011
sandokaa:

The Chukwuemeka among them must be born and bred in Lagos, so he drank, ate and inhaled Yoruba air. That is why he is intelligent to be counted among the best, which are ALL YORUBAs. Am proud of Oduduwa sons and daughters. Keep the intellectual flag flying. We are born to lead intellectually and others follow!
Boy! if what you just exhibited above is what you call inrelligience, i rather tell ya, grow up. there is a world bigger and larger than lagos. you are damn so bloody shallow.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ak47mann(m): 8:21pm On May 20, 2011
sandokaa:

grin grin grin yesooo we the yorobos the oduduwa sons and daughters invented.
1)the air we breathe
2 the sun
3 the sky
4 slaves ships
5british airways
6 24hrs eletricity
7 infact our roads in the whole s/w is like carpet made with gold an silver
coolthe moon
9)%99.9 in NASA full of oduduwas
10 first black to fly to the moon ever tongue
11)colonized nigeria
12 mobile phones
13)steady water supply from bar beach
14)killed abacha
15)build Hitlers bunker
16)under bridge
17)We are too much we invented the first television if you want to know watch NTA embarassed
18)if we S/W  dont belong to these yeye union call nigeria by now other tribes will still wearing plantain leaves as cloth  tongue we brought civilisation to nigeria/world but we started from nigeria thou undecided go to lagos when it comes to development Japan/america cant match us
19)America borrow technology from LAGOS if not they can never kill bin ladan shocked impossible
20)facebook tongue tongue
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ufumes(m): 9:07pm On May 20, 2011
I have always known that this software can be built by Nigerians and in Nigeria. Good work.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by lookmangiw(m): 9:32pm On May 20, 2011
ak47mann:

grin grin grin yesooo we the yorobos the oduduwa sons and daughters invented.
1)the air we breathe
2 the sun
3 the sky
4 slaves ships
5british airways
6 24hrs eletricity
7 infact our roads in the whole s/w is like carpet made with gold an silver
coolthe moon
9)%99.9 in NASA full of oduduwas
10 first black to fly to the moon ever tongue
11)colonized nigeria
12 mobile phones
13)steady water supply from bar beach
14)killed abacha
15)build Hitlers bunker
16)under bridge
17)We are too much we invented the first television if you want to know watch NTA embarassed
18)if we S/W dont belong to these yeye union call nigeria by now other tribes will still wearing plantain leaves as cloth :Pwe brought civilisation to nigeria/world but we started from nigeria thou undecided go to lagos when it comes to development Japan/america cant match us
19)America borrow technology from LAGOS if not they can never kill bin ladan shocked impossible
20)facebook tongue tongue

wetin u write wey dey sweet you for mouth,shey no be the truth the guy talk.the yoruba are the frontrunner as far as nigeria is concern and everyone knows that.look at fashola as an example,try and compare with your governors like ikedi ohakim and you will see that the difference is like the distance between the north and south pole.yoruba is the bam.
Re: The Story Behind Openvr, The Voters Registration Software by ak47mann(m): 9:52pm On May 20, 2011
lookmangiw:

wetin u write wey dey sweet you for mouth,shey no be the truth the guy talk.the yoruba are the frontrunner as far as nigeria is concern and everyone knows that.look at fashola as an example,try and compare with your governors like ikedi ohakim and you will see that the difference is like the distance between the north and south pole.yoruba is the bam.
minus fashola he is doing alright but he borrow a lot of money over 12billion dollars from western  banks if the next man after him didnt follow the master plan wahala deyooo cheesy cheesy of course yorobos are too much grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

A New Search Engine / No Java Required: Write Android Apps In C# / Data Science Or Cyber Security?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.