Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,826 members, 7,806,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Unbecoming Addiction To European Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Unbecoming Addiction To European Football (4321 Views)

Lmc Advocates End To European Clubs’ Sponsorship By Nigerian Firms / Which European Football Club Has The Highest Supporters In Nigeria? / Nairaland Rules, The Sports Section & European Football Club Threads: A Must-Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Laajman(m): 2:12pm On May 12, 2011
Firstly, I must admit I've been a fan of a popular london club for the past six years. But I'm seriously rethinking the sanity of devoting hours to watching them play. I've realised it makes more sense to spend my 90 mins on something productive for myself, and find 5-7 mins to watch the game's highlights later.

More importantly, this frenzy has hit the whole of Lagos- and Naija at large. On big game days, we all know how it goes down. From conductors in Ikorodu to the corporates in Ikoyi, everyone sorts of lose their heads. If all the madness was caused by a game between, say, Enyimba and Eko Babes, that would make a whole lot of sense.

Well, we could argue about globalisation, and how ICT has made the world a local place. But imagine the imagine the multiplier effect on commerce if just half of these frenzy was channelled into our local clubs>>>>increased gate takings, higher wages for players, better pitches, sale of merchandise, TV rights, while it would take a while to achieve some progress, it is possible. The South African and Egyptian Leagues have done well for themselves. Even names like TP Mazembe of Congo is a recurring one in the CAF Champions' league. Undoubtedly, we have a larger pool of talents.

What is the logic is being a fan of a club that 90% of us may never visit in our lifetime? Aren't we simply fooling ourselves?? I've met several europeans who are loyal to their own hometown clubs- a middle-aged english man who buys season tickets for Charlton FC; a german suppporter of Werder Bremen, and an Italian who proudly displayed the flag of his club (Lecce, I think) at his bar on the shores of Carribean beach.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by JeSoul(f): 4:53pm On May 12, 2011
Laajman:

Firstly, I must admit I've been a fan of a popular london club for the past six years. But I'm seriously rethinking the sanity of devoting hours to watching them play. I've realised it makes more sense to spend my 90 mins on something productive for myself, and find 5-7 mins to watch the game's highlights later.

More importantly, this frenzy has hit the whole of Lagos- and Naija at large. On big game days, we all know how it goes down. From conductors in Ikorodu to the corporates in Ikoyi, everyone sorts of lose their heads. If all the madness was caused by a game between, say, Enyimba and Eko Babes, that would make a whole lot of sense.

Well, we could argue about globalisation, and how ICT has made the world a local place. But imagine the imagine the multiplier effect on commerce if just half of these frenzy was channelled into our local clubs>>>>increased gate takings, higher wages for players, better pitches, sale of merchandise, TV rights, while it would take a while to achieve some progress, it is possible. The South African and Egyptian Leagues have done well for themselves. Even names like TP Mazembe of Congo is a recurring one in the CAF Champions' league. Undoubtedly, we have a larger pool of talents.

What is the logic is being a fan of a club that 90% of us may never visit in our lifetime? Aren't we simply fooling ourselves?? I've met several europeans who are loyal to their own hometown clubs- a middle-aged english man who buys season tickets for Charlton FC; a german suppporter of Werder Bremen, and an Italian who proudly displayed the flag of his club (Lecce, I think) at his bar on the shores of Carribean beach.

If only we can get just 50% of EPL addicts in Naija to re-think just like you . . . I asked one NLder once, he response was that Nigerians are so into euro soccer because to them its a form of escapism, a temporary means of relief or distraction from the hardship of Naija life. A means of channeling their anger and depression and converting it into a means of 'catching fun'.

I have always wondered about the fervency of love and passion wholly devoted to clubs and people and players that couldn't give any less of a damn towards Africa/Africans than they already do. Talk about misplaced passion. I guess its something psychological.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by DisGuy: 11:56pm On May 12, 2011
JeSoul:

If only we can get just 50% of EPL addicts in Naija to re-think just like you . . . I asked one NLder once, he response was that Nigerians are so into euro soccer because to them its a form of escapism, a temporary means of relief or distraction from the hardship of Naija life. A means of channeling their anger and depression and converting it into a means of 'catching fun'.

I have always wondered about the fervency of love and passion wholly devoted to clubs and people and players that couldn't give any less of a damn towards Africa/Africans than they already do. Talk about misplaced passion. I guess its something psychological.

Sorry i'll have to disagree on this bit, first its sport, and sport as we know it should have nothing on race or a particular country's development or enslavement. its sport an entertainment activity not a political gathering

Secondly, there are many Africans/Nigerians playing the sport in different leagues all over the world earning a decent living entertaining millions and developing their immediately environment

several clubs have affiliations with African teams, they support hospitals in the locality or help raise funds for players heading several ngos in africa
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by medjai(m): 7:46am On May 13, 2011
I think it's all about being a football fan. Europe is where football is played at the highest level hence, our relegious following of these European clubs.
It's like asking a basketball fan why he/she follows the NBA and not channel this support towards the DSTV Nigerian Basketball League.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by JeSoul(f): 2:47pm On May 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

Sorry i'll have to disagree on this bit, first its sport, and sport as we know it should have nothing on race or a particular country's development or enslavement. its sport an entertainment activity not a political gathering
I agree with you, I'm a sports enthusiast myself watching everything including golf. But the OPs point (and I second it) is that it has reached an unhealthy level of collective mass hysteria. Sports is to be enjoyed - in its proper perspective. The OP did mention why not channel our passion towards our own local leagues where it can directly profit us and our communities.

Secondly, there are many Africans/Nigerians playing the sport in different leagues all over the world earning a decent living entertaining millions and developing their immediately environment

Again see my previous comment. Its not that we can watch or enjoy or support our people over there & the foreign clubs of our choice, but rather the unhealthy fanaticism that has taken over.

several clubs have affiliations with African teams, they support hospitals in the locality or help raise funds for players heading several ngos in africa
I pay attention to most sports around the globe and I admit if they do this, I haven't heard much about it. Take for instance the NBA or the NFL (american football). They have regular season games in Europe and have an assortment of bball or football programs held all the way in China, Japan, and even Africa. During the season, they have the players wear jerseys with spanish language on it to show their consideration for the spanish-speaking/south american audience. The NBA even has a seperate website specifically geared towards spanish speakers, with a focus on spanish players/issues.

When was the last time an EPL team held a game in Africa? (yes I know its hard to do that because of political/social instability but I hope you get my point). When have they ever worn jerseys in Yoruba or Afrikaans to show they care about their african audience? Do they have a dedicated website to us? Do they come ever summer/few months to hold free camps & workshops?

If these clubs do have affiliations with local teams and help support, then thanks for schooling me on that. But from a birds perspective, it doesn't appear to me they go out of their way or bottomline to acknowledge their huge african audience.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by DisGuy: 3:03pm On May 13, 2011
^^
The reason American sports like NBA do that is because they are looking for more audience or looking to keep hold of their European business marketing opportunities. playing a game in Europe is different from playing a game in Africa, Football is a global sport with huge marketing already
the leagues already support Africa through its FA and FIFA they dont have to do it individually except they have players pushing for it, there are players already involved on a private level or in collaboration with charities. The NFL doesn't have a global body to do all these things, playing in Europe is not a big achievement

dedicated website in yoruba/afrikaans? English is enough, i doubt Africans have a problem reading the thousands of website already available to football fans, too many languages in african anyway

the nba teams playing in europe make huge amount from their european tour, the cost of tickets in london is almost the same if not more than is charged in LA, NY etc Apart from safety and logistics involved charge the same gate fee in Africa will be exploitation, Average ticket price is about N8000> Portsmouth , Man U played in Abuja, Tottenham will be playing in SA this summer after several logistics/contract issue since 2 years ago
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 13, 2011
@ OP
I feel ur point, but I have to say that back in the days, say early 90's or late 80's, the rave was our local league, bendel insurance, shooting stars, eagle cement, jasper utd, rangers, el kanemi etc but mismanagement crumbled everything till now, we never did develop our league hence the foreign leagues took over.
This is isn't our fault but the administrators'. The south africans are crazy about foreign leagues but MOST crazy over their "ibhola lethu" cos it means everything to them(apartheid inclusive)
I have to say from ur post u re either a chelsea or an arsenal fan who must have joined the bandwagon perhaps during the "unbeaten era/mourinho era".(U already indicated that anyway). We TRUE FOOTBALL fans squeeze out time to watch most times.
Though it is quite annoying the alarming rate it is turning into, but again isn't the world crazy nowadays. Looking at our music industry it has improved to the extent nigerians don't play foreign music at clubs anymore. I can assure u if our administrators get their acts together our local league would be top again.
P.S. This Jesoul girl is one smart lady, I really like her well-thought out posts. Cheers
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 7:07pm On May 13, 2011
@ OP
I feel ur point, but I have to say that back in the days, say early 90's or late 80's, the rave was our local league, bendel insurance, shooting stars, eagle cement, jasper utd, rangers, el kanemi etc but mismanagement crumbled everything till now, we never did develop our league hence the foreign leagues took over.
This is isn't our fault but the administrators'. The south africans are crazy about foreign leagues but MOST crazy over their "ibhola lethu" cos it means everything to them(apartheid inclusive)
I have to say from ur post u re either a chelsea or an arsenal fan who must have joined the bandwagon perhaps during the "unbeaten era/mourinho era".(U already indicated that anyway). We TRUE FOOTBALL fans squeeze out time to watch most times.
Though it is quite annoying the alarming rate it is turning into, but again isn't the world crazy nowadays. Looking at our music industry it has improved to the extent nigerians don't play foreign music at clubs anymore. I can assure u if our administrators get their acts together our local league would be top again.
P.S. This Jesoul girl is one smart lady, I really like her well-thought out posts. Cheers
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by JeSoul(f): 10:01pm On May 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

^^
The reason American sports like NBA do that is because they are looking for more audience or looking to keep hold of their European business marketing opportunities. playing a game in Europe is different from playing a game in Africa, Football is a global sport with huge marketing already
the leagues already support Africa through its FA and FIFA they dont have to do it individually except they have players pushing for it, there are players already involved on a private level or in collaboration with charities. The NFL doesn't have a global body to do all these things, playing in Europe is not a big achievement
  I certainly do appreciate the logistical challenges of European teams playing games on African soil . . . I daresay I'm more about going after the attitude and 'heart' of these teams towards their African fans. And FIFA I would classify as seperate from Euro teams/leagues and hence won't credit 'charity' done by FIFA to the EPL or Liga and co. FIFA generates profit worldwide, its only good business sense for them to continue feeding the cows they're milking abi?

There's nothing standing in the way of say a ManU from doing their own separate 'goodwill works', rather than hiding under the branches of FIFA. And it doesn't even have to be on-location since we all know say Africa get plenty problem. Sometimes during NBA/NFL games, they acknowledge the audience that may be watching in Asia or Europe or Turkey (when there was a turkish player on the court). If dem no wan spend money, little things like that to show at least they are aware and appreciate the loyalty of these fans. So no, its not necessary to have a -

dedicated website in yoruba/afrikaans? English is enough, i doubt Africans have a problem reading the thousands of website already available to football fans, too many languages in african anyway

I'm talking more in terms of whatever kind of gesture of goodwill they can do to show they have at least 'noticed us'.

the nba teams playing in europe make huge amount from their european tour, the cost of tickets in london is almost the same if not more than is charged in LA, NY etc Apart from safety and logistics involved charge the same gate fee in Africa will be exploitation,
Lol . . . ehen now, we self are shooting ourselves in our own feet lol. If we respected ourselves like we should, the rest of the world would respect us more.

Average ticket price is about N8000> Portsmouth , Man U played in Abuja, Tottenham will be playing in SA this summer after several logistics/contract issue since 2 years ago
Appreciated. I did not previously know this.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by JeSoul(f): 10:02pm On May 16, 2011
Darthmaul:

@ OP
I feel your point, but I have to say that back in the days, say early 90's or late 80's, the rave was our local league, bendel insurance, shooting stars, eagle cement, jasper utd, rangers, el kanemi etc but mismanagement crumbled everything till now, we never did develop our league hence the foreign leagues took over.
Gbam left right center top down inside out.
If we were being fanatical about something that was ours and was benefitting our own community, me I go shut up and siddon for corner. But the way people are insane over players and teams that barely look their direction  grin. You say na bad management cause am. I agree. But na we be the managers now lol. Every game/team/club is only successful to the degree of the passion their fans. At least na so me I see am.

I have to say from your post u re either a chelsea or an arsenal fan who must have joined the bandwagon perhaps during the "unbeaten era/mourinho era".(U already indicated that anyway). We TRUE FOOTBALL fans squeeze out time to watch most times.
And I think this is great. Support local artists - it will benefit our people and culture.

embarassed  kiss thank you Darth.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by honeric01(m): 3:19pm On May 17, 2011
When i raised this issue, people came at me for trying to "take" away their only source of joy in Nigeria.

Most of the local supporters of these foreign clubs don't even know the names of your own league talkless of the clubs involve.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 17, 2011
great topic, excellent responses.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 17, 2011
me i be kano pillars fan and i be arsenal fan na so he be ooo
plus ppl in diaspora cant watch the game, so we are left to arsenal and liverpool
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Pharoh: 9:40pm On May 17, 2011
It is getting out of hand and these days some people are ready to die for these so called clubs. sad
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Dsense(m): 9:49pm On May 17, 2011
OP.

I'm one of them , I virtually killed a dude 3 yrs ago over Championsleague match. . , But i'm a bit cooler these days . . .Though very stoic and passionate grin
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by TayoD1(m): 9:54pm On May 17, 2011
@Laajman,

If all the madness was caused by a game between, say, Enyimba and Eko Babes, that would make a whole lot of sense.
I do not live in Naija now and so unable to fathom the craze for European soccer as you claim. The statement in quote however got my attention. I believe Naija once had this sort of passion for local football. Does anyone remember the days of the intense rivalry between Abiola Babes and Leventis United? I dare say it mimicked what we now have between Barcelona and Real Madrid!
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 17, 2011
When the league improves; pitches, commentary e.t.c we will go back.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by AjanleKoko: 10:07pm On May 17, 2011
Don't a number of you live in Europe/carry European citizenship already?
If that's the case, I see no reason why you should not support, for example Arsenal or Spurs, if you live in North London. Abi you want to support Enyimba from the UK?

For those of us who live back home in Nigeria . . . well, I am a Barcelona supporter, a socio (card-carrying club member) in fact. There are Barcelona fan clubs all over the world, even as far flung as Surinam and Guyana. In fact, the biggest Barcelona fan base outside Europe is in Japan. I'm sure Japan has better coverage for their league, but they still go crazy for EPL and Spanish clubs like Barcelona and Madrid. So why should Nigerians be any different?

It's all about what you like abeg. I feel no affinity for any Nigerian club and have no desire to. The league is barely functioning anyway. These days the national teams interest me little sef. Lagos where I live doesn't even have any team.

Pharoh:

It is getting out of hand and these days some people are ready to die for these so called clubs.   sad

Africans, especially Nigerians, are quite emotional, but . . . dying for a club? I think not.
Apart from us cussing each other out on occasion cos you support Madrid and I Barcelona, I have no desire to kill anybody jare tongue
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by mystikal(m): 10:24pm On May 17, 2011
DisGuy has already echoed some of my thoughts.

If the issue is about 'unhealthy fanaticism' I guess most sports including the NBA. NFL and even Rugby League r guilty of this. European Football isn't the only guilty party here. European Football is the highest level of club football in the world, so its only fair  it attracts such mad followership. I still support my Akwa United in the local league. NBA fans should support their local Nigerian  leagues too o.

Also,  just so you know, European Football  Clubs are massive philanthropists as well,
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Ribaman(m): 11:32pm On May 17, 2011
@ All posters!
Whether we like it or not, European Football is the next stage in the European conquest of the rest of us! It is sad to see how the average Nigerian youth has been taken over by the football bug. It is even more distressing to note the same youths who don't know the 1st  eleven of Eyimba know the entire  21 players of the CHelsea and/or Arsenal, Man U and/or Man City, Aston Villa and/or Birmingham teams. 

I was in the village a while ago, my papa has this dish that he uses to know what AIT and/or CNN is/are saying. Believe it or not, as I sat there talking to papa, a child standing by me just rattled off the first 11 of Chelsea FC. I immediately asked this child to read the 4 times or 5 times table for me, na so NEPA take light for him mouth. I chased him to his papa's house, they are our neighbours, the man egged me on to punish am well well. By the way, this incident took place in the foothills of the Obudu Ranch! Even in the back water of my home village, European football don spread its tentacles reach there.

Re European Football, whether we admit it or not, "HOUSTON We Have a Problem" should be our new mantra or prayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by ufumes(m): 11:40pm On May 17, 2011
I thought i was the only one noticing this, its really becoming something else. Even ladies too are now showing serious interests
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Reference(m): 12:20am On May 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Don't a number of you live in Europe/carry European citizenship already?
If that's the case, I see no reason why you should not support, for example Arsenal or Spurs, if you live in North London. Abi you want to support Enyimba from the UK?

For those of us who live back home in Nigeria . . . well, I am a Barcelona supporter, a socio (card-carrying club member) in fact. There are Barcelona fan clubs all over the world, even as far flung as Surinam and Guyana. In fact, the biggest Barcelona fan base outside Europe is in Japan. I'm sure Japan has better coverage for their league, but they still go crazy for EPL and Spanish clubs like Barcelona and Madrid. So why should Nigerians be any different?

It's all about what you like abeg. I feel no affinity for any Nigerian club and have no desire to. The league is barely functioning anyway. These days the national teams interest me little sef. Lagos where I live doesn't even have any team.

Africans, especially Nigerians, are quite emotional, but . . . dying for a club? I think not.
Apart from us cussing each other out on occasion cos you support Madrid and I Barcelona, I have no desire to kill anybody jare tongue

This is shocking. You really mean you don't know people have been killed for blues, devils and cannons. Are you sure you are really in Nigeria. Multiple stabbings, arson and culpable homicide involving blue joy riders in Calabar the afternoon before J.T.'s bad CL penalty miss. Never will forget that day. Lost the cup and a couple of faithfuls. What greater vanity.

For me thanks to Le' Prof. I'm permanently delivered from addiction. So if you want to be free you know which club to support come summer.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by AjanleKoko: 12:24am On May 18, 2011
Reference:

This is shocking. You really mean you don't know people have been killed for blues, devils and cannons. Are you sure you are really in Nigeria. Multiple stabbings, arson and culpable homicide involving blue joy riders in Calabar the afternoon before J.T.'s bad CL penalty miss. Never will forget that day. Lost the cup and a couple of faithfuls. What greater vanity.

For me thanks to Le' Prof. I'm permanently delivered from addiction. So if you want to be free you know which club to support come summer.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Really? In the same Naija? Na wa o.
Though I did hear about the Man United bus driver in 2009 that ran into a group of celebrating Barca fans. I thought that was a one off . . . grin
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Reference(m): 12:38am On May 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Really? In the same Naija? Na wa o.
Though I did hear about the Man United bus driver in 2009 that ran into a group of celebrating Barca fans. I thought that was a one off . . . grin

Yes oh it happened. But what can you say of our league. On extended break because of elections (can you imagine the monumental losses incurred by any broadcaster on satellite programming alone) and now they are back Bayelsa United has gone to the dogs. Players on strike, carrying placards to government house protesting outstanding wages and sign-on fees and intimidation by a management led super crackdown with MOPOL and soldiers while management alleges players have run amock turning the club grounds to down town Benghazi or is it Fukushima, looting, burning and philandering. One can only guess whose telling the truth.

Tell me why my poor gunners with their recurring blowouts aren't a better proposition.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by kcjazz(m): 1:22am On May 18, 2011
Well fans will be fans. We are a soccer loving country tongue

But on a serious note unemployment, NEPA and leadership problems have created this 'unhealthy' problem as you put it. In our country we fail to see the bigger picture and how different things connect to each other.

Where are the Ranchers Bees, BCC Lions, Stationary Stores and to cap it all our most commercialized and industrialized state Lagos does not have a soccer team except Julius Berger FC which am not sure is even in the Nigeria Premier League. In this era, Enyimba FC is the only other club that was up to something big but Orji Kalu left and it faded.

I don't see the love for the EPL as a problem rather I see it as a huge market for the Nigerian soccer league. The league needs to be restructured, NFF needs to step up, build smaller stadiums without tracks and television needs to come in. It is my dream that one day I will acquire Enugu Rangers, great club with a rich history and the stadium and show this guys how to make money in football.
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by beejaei: 1:44am On May 18, 2011
While it is unhealthy for fans to resort to violence because of their support for a club, I think it is unwise to try to mandate support for Nigerian League. If it is good enough, people will fall for it. Ask yourself, why do people support European football the most and not American soccer or the Brazilian league or the Argentinian League. It is simple: European club football is the best. In fact, I will rather watch a televised match from the South African or Egyptian league than a match from the Nigerian League because by and large the quality of football and the coverage leave much to be desired. So instead of asking people to just switch to the Nigerian league, the league should become good enough for people to consider switching and following Nigerian league.

Nigerians did not suddenly start to like Nigerian hip-hop and R&B over the foreign ones. They did so because the quality of our music improved. Where we used to have Eedris Abdulkareem we no have MI. Compare TuFace's African Queen video to his video for "Only Me" and the difference is clear. Its the same situation with PSquare and others. So when the league becomes top quality, no one will need to advice Nigerians to pay attention.

*This is the most sensible thing I have said on NL in weeks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin*
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 1:53am On May 18, 2011
beejaei:

*This is the most sensible thing I have said on NL in weeks grin grin grin grin grin grin grin*
time for me to quit playing and say sumthing sensitive too. just that i find nairaland a joke lol
it a place for me to relieve my day stress even tho i dnt work looool   grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by DisGuy: 1:54am On May 18, 2011

I support Afonja Warriors full time via newspapers, Nairaland and supersports highlights, we dey manage am  cool

@Jesoul
I certainly do appreciate the logistical challenges of European teams playing games on African soil . . . I daresay I'm more about going after the attitude and 'heart' of these teams towards their African fans. And FIFA I would classify as seperate from Euro teams/leagues and hence won't credit 'charity' done by FIFA to the EPL or Liga and co. FIFA generates profit worldwide, its only good business sense for them to continue feeding the cows they're milking abi?

There's nothing standing in the way of say a ManU from doing their own separate 'goodwill works', rather than hiding under the branches of FIFA. And it doesn't even have to be on-location since we all know say Africa get plenty problem. Sometimes during NBA/NFL games, they acknowledge the audience that may be watching in Asia or Europe or Turkey (when there was a turkish player on the court). If dem no wan spend money, little things like that to show at least they are aware and appreciate the loyalty of these fans. So no, its not necessary to have a -

I'm talking more in terms of whatever kind of gesture of goodwill they can do to show they have at least 'noticed us'.

hmm they also have fans from 150 countries across the world, you'll agree the NBA strategy is geared towards marketing also, and to be honest nigerian/african fans probably contributes less than many other countries or continents. And i guess a huge portion of FIFA revenue comes from English/European clubs hence the are indirectly contributing to charity cause in Africa, many of these clubs have their CSR on point and a little extra dig im sure i can find some pertaining to africa, Tottenham supports SOS South Africa and part of their tour will include visits and donations,
perhaps if we can get rid of crooks like most NFF admin we probably will be able to attract better support--most of the business/sport dont have a lot on their plate and minggling with unaccountable ministries and NGO doesnt make much business sense
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by DisGuy: 2:03am On May 18, 2011
@ All posters!
Whether we like it or not, European Football is the next stage in the European conquest of the rest of us! It is sad to see how the average Nigerian youth has been taken over by the football bug. It is even more distressing to note the same youths who don't know the 1st eleven of Eyimba know the entire 21 players of the CHelsea and/or Arsenal, Man U and/or Man City, Aston Villa and/or Birmingham teams.

Bros the most hardened follower of the GLO MTN Pepsi **league will struggle, most clubs have minimum of 4/5 players going for trials right in the middle of a season, 3-6 players on suspension, 2-3 player AWOL, 1-10 players on strike, clubs hiring 3-4 fresh legs, all in the same season how person go take know

many of them have no websites na so so media consultants they get

Up Afonja Warriors grin
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Nobody: 2:09am On May 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

Bros the most hardened follower of the GLO MTN Pepsi **league will struggle, most clubs have minimum of 4/5 players going for trials right in the middle of a season, 3-6 players on suspension, 2-3 player AWOL, 1-10 players on strike, clubs hiring 3-4 fresh legs, all in the same season how person go take know

Up Afonja Warriors grin
nlander una no go kill me ooo
afonja warriors
isnt that not a warlord, when did it become a club name
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
up kano pillars
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by honeric01(m): 3:28am On May 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

Up Afonja Warriors grin

Oga where u come go?
Re: Unbecoming Addiction To European Football by Phate07(m): 7:01am On May 18, 2011

Am afraid i have never watched a Nigerian League match. Guilty as charged.
cry cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bibiana Steinhaus Becomes First Female To Officiate In A Major European League / Scuffle In Eagles Camp As Nff Officials Trade Blows / "Embarrassing" Photo Of San Antonio Spurs Players Leaked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.