Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,375 members, 7,800,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants (8289 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO] / Aguleri Town Masquerade Festival In Anambra (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by aloyemeka1: 1:20am On May 13, 2011
[size=14pt]Pose as masquerade, go to jail, Lagos gov warns miscreants[/size]
By OLUWOLE FAROTIMI
Friday, May 13, 2011

More Stories on This Section

For street miscreants in Lagos State popularly known as ‘Area Boys’ who have cultivated the habit of posing as masquerades to extort money from members of the public, the end of the road has come, as the state government has vowed to prosecute and jail anyone caught parading the metropolis as masquerade.

Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-governmental Relations, Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi, who revealed this at a briefing in Lagos on Thursday, said the criminal practice had marred the efforts of the state government in making the state a tourists destination, adding that the state government would deal summarily with any offenders.

He said masquerade match in the state from the outset was tied to one festival or the other that had ancestral embellishment and undertones, pointing that out the present practice of people now parading the streets any time they were broke to harass the residents and make money was wrong and illegal, and must be resisted by both the people and government.

The commissioner, who reiterated government’s commitment to tourism development in the state, blamed the delay in the take-off operation at Sunburn Yacht, a sea-based elegant hotel on what he called boardroom wrangling among the stakeholders. He pointed out that they had resolved their differences for the hotel operation to take off next year. He reiterated that the controversial hotel that had dragged the name of both the state government and its officials in the mud was not a state government investment, noting that the state government only provided enabling environment for investments to thrive in the state.

He pointed out that the improved security situation had boosted development of tourism and establishment of magnificent hotels in various parts of the state. He explained that the various festivals and carnivals held in the state recently were designed by the present government to make Lagos State tourist destination, pointing out that the move had paid off given the teeming number of tourists who attended the festival and carnivals.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/13/national-13-05-2011-019.html
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by vivaladiva(f): 1:38am On May 13, 2011
ur lucky he is only banning them, i wld go as far as burning them-----
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by vivaladiva(f): 1:39am On May 13, 2011
slavery to culture n tradition is by far worst than slavery to a person, say no to slavery
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by tpia5: 1:40am On May 13, 2011
they cant go around flogging foreigners nah.

that's not good for tourism.

their getting away with flogging some nigerians isnt good either.

they can display and dance without flogging anybody.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by solihu(m): 11:58am On May 13, 2011
The issue isn't flogging , they try to scare people and part with their valuable possessions i.e money, phones and even jeweleries. Anyway their number one victims are the females.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by tpia5: 12:20pm On May 13, 2011
True.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by PurestBoy(m): 12:30pm On May 13, 2011
Do masquerades still exist?
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by MMM2(m): 12:31pm On May 13, 2011
good
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Greycells(m): 12:36pm On May 13, 2011
End of d road for beggarly masquerades grin grin grin
Gleeeeeeee. Up LASG cheesy cheesy
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by abenipa(f): 12:37pm On May 13, 2011
Truth be told, those people intimidate others and play on people's shock and fear some times. I have experienced it before- when the so-called-egun is running after you with a keen intent on probably flogging you to extort money. As much as some things are done in the name of culture/tradition, excesses need to be curbed as well. They can't go about spreading this depravity in the name of 'tradition' Well done and said Fashola, I tell you, if you run for president, I shall vote for you.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by abenipa(f): 12:38pm On May 13, 2011
Truth be told, those people intimidate others and play on people's shock and fear some times. I have experienced it before- when the so-called-egun is running after you with a keen intent on probably flogging you to extort money. As much as some things are done in the name of culture/tradition, excesses need to be curbed as well. They can't go about spreading this depravity in the name of 'tradition' Well done and well said Fashola, I tell you, if you run for president, I shall vote for you.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by klear(f): 12:56pm On May 13, 2011
D ban should have been in place eons ago, If any of these hungry masquerades come running, I suggest a swift kick n d groin will sanitize d spirit! grin grin
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Mynd44: 1:01pm On May 13, 2011
Does this ban include "Father Christmas" cos seem to scare the kid rather than attract them
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 13, 2011
Remove toll-gates from Lekki Peninsular road or I wont vote for ACN 2015
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by mazamaza: 1:08pm On May 13, 2011
THAT IS A START, I HOPE THIS IS EFFECTIVE, AND I HOPE THE GOVERNMENT GOES ON TO BRING WAYS IN CURBING THE MENACE OF AREA BOYS WHO HAVE COMPLETELY TAKEN OVER LAGOS  angry IN DUE TIME.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by DaDoctor: 1:12pm On May 13, 2011
Abeg.they should free us, thats not our maor issue, 'AREA BOYS IN THE GARRAGES AND BUS STOPS' pose us threath, Let them look into it, Tot Marwa dealt them a blowHow den did then assume office again, NOW SOME ONE IS FIGHTING MASQUARDE AND LEAVING A CORE ISSUE?Pls
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by mazamaza: 1:20pm On May 13, 2011
^^^^VERY TRUE, THAT WAS THE ONLY TIME I RESPECTED MILITARY RULE,  WHEN MARWA WIPED THEM OUT AND THE REST WENT INTO HIDING,  IT WAS THEIR WARLOCK (BOLA TINUBU) WHO CAME IN AND ALLOWED THEM TOO MUCH FREEDOM AND EVEN AUTHORITY,  SO IRRITATING. angry angry angry

THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO TACKLE THAN ANY COWARDLY MASQUERADE WHO CAN'T BEG FOR MONEY WITH HIS REAL IDENTITY  grin grin grin
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by DAY12(m): 1:23pm On May 13, 2011
Da Doctor:

Abeg.they should free us, thats not our maor issue, 'AREA BOYS IN THE GARRAGES AND BUS STOPS' pose us threath, Let them look into it, Tot Marwa dealt them a blowHow den did then assume office again, NOW SOME ONE IS FIGHTING MASQUARDE AND LEAVING A CORE ISSUE?Pls

word. shocked

***arms folded*** i dey look wetin BRF go do 2 dis day light criminals a.k.a AREA BOIZ.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by shadrach77: 1:24pm On May 13, 2011
does it mean lagbaja will be jailed? grin grin grin
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by mdpatton1: 1:32pm On May 13, 2011
do you know how to translate that? if so would you please help me out?
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by DAY12(m): 1:41pm On May 13, 2011
Oh,  Hajiah sef are in BRF trouble? grin grin grin

Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by sulad82i(m): 2:04pm On May 13, 2011
I guess its time for those pple to be poked in the face.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Texther(m): 2:29pm On May 13, 2011
BRF, u no want make this boys chop?? Abeg wat of Eyo?? Those with white garment @ Oshodi
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by kingchild(m): 2:40pm On May 13, 2011
that is a good one,jare
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Nobody: 2:57pm On May 13, 2011
good at lease Lagosians will stop seen masquerade pursing them in their dream
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by oderemo(m): 3:00pm On May 13, 2011
y dont they start with LAGBAJA, omo iya eleko.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by maclatunji: 3:12pm On May 13, 2011
I saw them at Yaba. Day before yesterday, go and arrest them there.
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 13, 2011
Masqurades, Omo onile touts, and Agberos. Why is fashola going after the most irrelevant menace. He should start with those Yoruba thugs who threaten home builders and those NURTW bullies. How many masqurades are there in Lagos by the way?
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by emenim(m): 3:41pm On May 13, 2011
I believe Lagos island, idumota area of Lagos is the appropriate place to go and arrest them, especially those once that that are carrying weep (eegun)
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Musiwa13: 3:56pm On May 13, 2011
c

Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by oderemo(m): 3:59pm On May 13, 2011
Masqurades, Omo onile touts, and Agberos. Why is fashola going after the most irrelevant menace. He should start with those Yoruba thugs who threaten home builders and those NURTW bullies. How many masqurades are there in Lagos by the way?

must you slot that in, not all the so called thugs are yoruba u know? or are you saying all agberos/conductors are yoruba?
Re: Pose As Masquerade, Go To Jail, Lagos Gov Warns Miscreants by Basics007: 4:24pm On May 13, 2011
Hmmmm. Egungun becareful!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mime And Movement: History Of Mime / The Church And Development Of Igboland / What Is Million In, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo Etc Etc?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.