Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,551 members, 7,809,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Worst Country To Be A Woman - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Worst Country To Be A Woman (2524 Views)

Sweden Recognises State Of Palestine - First EU country to recognise Palestiene / Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana / Malawi Suspends Anti-gay Laws, First African Country To Do So after south africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worst Country To Be A Woman by aloyemeka1: 3:03am On May 13, 2011
[size=14pt]Study: 48 Women Raped Every Hour in Congo[/size]
By: Jenée Desmond-Harris | Posted: May 11, 2011

Alarming study results released today show that the horrors of rape in the central-African nation of Congo are even worse than previously thought: Latest reports are that 1,152 women are raped every day, a rate equal to 48 per hour. This is 26 times more than the previous estimate by the United Nations. Study authors relied on figures from a government health survey and pooled data from across the country to conclude that 29 Congolese women out of every 1,000 were raped.

Congo -- a nation of 70 million people that is equal in size to Western Europe -- has been plagued by decades of war. "The message is important and clear: Rape in [Congo] has metastasized amid a climate of impunity and has emerged as one of the great human crises of our time," said Michael VanRooyen, the director of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative.

Michelle Hindin, an associate professor at Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health who specializes in gender-based violence, said the actual rate could be even higher than the study reveals. She pointed out that the data were obtained through face-to-face interviews, and people are not always fully honest about their experiences when talking to strangers.

Congo has been called the worst place on earth to be a woman, and it is tragically living up to its reputation.

The analysis will be published in the American Journal of Public Health in June.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/study-48-women-raped-every-hour-congo?GT1=38002
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 1:15pm On May 13, 2011
this is completely biased - the report is written by american academics and therefore not objective.

YOu should find out what the root causes of this mass ra.pe. is congo has been at war for many years and the war was instigated by the US govt who are trying to gain control over the rich mineral reserves there. As you know wherever there is war atrocities are always committed, the US is to blame for the terrrible state that that country is in, if they had not funded the two opposing sides in this war these rap.es would not be happening.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by vladimiros: 9:42pm On May 13, 2011
@ Cap shut up

why do so many people shout anti- american comments on NL just to justify their bs

the congolese war has more connections with Belgium and Europe than usa

get ur damn fact right

i swear the rate some peeps are hating on the us here makes me wonder if this people know that they use "dirty american brands" to survive
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 1:39am On May 14, 2011
^^^

you talking to me boy?

what do you know about congo and the ongoing war there?

the americans are very involved in congo they murdered lumumba and replaced him with mobutu in order to gain full control over zaire's mineral resources, while in power mobutu received more than $1.5 billion dollars a year in military aid - thats how he was able to stay in power for 32 years, when the americans got fed up of mobutu they trained and armed Rwandan and Ugandan troops who invaded zaire (now known as the democratic republic  of congo) and killed millions of people there.  They used their puppet Paul Kagame to regain control over the mineral rich region in eastern congo -  the US and european govts continue to  finance the ongoing war using uganda and rwanda as their proxies - read and learn  little boy:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Africa/US_Recolonization_Congo.html

http://www.globalissues.org/article/87/the-democratic-republic-of-congo
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 8:30pm On May 14, 2011
Its a shame for me a congolese citizen to witness silently whats been happening in my home country.

the worst of it all is that the current president is an imposter who calls himself joseph kabila. how can a man be a president and his step brothers and sisters are political refugees in europe?

i just hate myself for being a congolese. i wish i was a pig or an amoeba.

i wish i could just shoot that son of a b,
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 9:03pm On May 14, 2011
^^^
sorry to hear that - what is the current situation in your country?
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 10:19pm On May 14, 2011
As of now,the elections are supposed to be held on nov 28th. the new president will be sworn in dec 6th. but everybody knows that the imcumbent joseph kabila will win. the d r congo is a very wonderful country cursed with its natural ressources.

the president's salary is about 10 million dollars a year.but the common congolese civil servant lives on less than 300 dollars a year.

can you imagine a president who refuses to bring to justice the killers of his own father?

a rwandan general leads a rebellion in the congo,kills millions of citizens,then escapes to rwanda.the president refuses to pursue the murderer into rwanda,or to bring in to the hague.

i hope by november 28 th, he can be defeated and brought to justice for conspiracy and high treason against the congolese people.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 10:29pm On May 14, 2011
what role is the US playing in this whole situation, i hear they armed and funded Paul Kagame so that he could take over the eastern region of congo where all your mineral resources are, is that the case?
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 12:38am On May 15, 2011
the usa,england,france and belgium are all involved in the turmoil that have claimed over 6 million hinnoncent congolese people.

in the eastern part,we have a mineral called coltan.its used to make the new cellphones and laptops.we have the largest reserve of coltan in the world.these western countries,fund the militias who create havoc in the east.in return,they can exploit coltan free of charge.because rwanda is only a few minutes away from us,they can go thru that bloody country and fly out back west.

we have the largest un military deployment in the world.over 17 thousand troops. but nothing has changed.

everybody talks about the darfur genocide,the tutsi genocide etc, but no one talks of the congo genocide. common,6 000 000 killed and no one says a word?

paul kagame is a murderer who deserves to be jailed.how can he win elections with 94 percent votes? his tribe being a minority. wow.

sooner or later, the hinnoncent blood of the congolese people will speak.

the congolese president,has never said anything publicly about our genocide. by the way,this is the same guy who was born in tanzania,went to school in uganda and calls paul kagame, uncle kagame. what a coincidence?
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 3:39am On May 15, 2011
Laurent kabila was a young disciple of patrice lumumba the man who gave his life for the independance of the congo.
when mobutu killed lumumba in 1961 with the help of the usa and belgium (lumumba was dipped in acid), kabila started a 30 year old rebellion to avenge lumumba. kabila had the support of china and cuba ( che guevarra), but because mobutu was heavily armed by the wedt, kabila was unsuccesful.

the kabila rebellion was in the kivu province (east).
there,he made friends with the tutsis who wanted to oust the hutus's regime in rwanda,burundi and uganda.

one of kabila's ally was christophe kanambe, a tutsi from rwanda and the biological father of the current president of the congo (joseph kabila).

christophe kanambe had troubles with kabila and decided to partner with mobutu and kill kabila.but kabila was very smart and found out the plot,and killed christophe kanambe. he also took kanambe's wife ( mrs sifa mahanya) and her three kids: hyppolite ( now know as joseph kabila), jaynet and zoe.all three being biological children of late christophe kanambe.

its amazing that until this day,president joseph kabila's legal signature reads: hyppolite kanambe.

in 1994 when president juvenal habyarimana of rwanda was killed by the troops of general paul kagame with the help of the ugandan dictator/president yoweri kaguta museveni,the tustis finaly realised the century long dream of ruling rwanda.but the hutus wanted to avenge the death of their brother and president juvenal habyarimana.this how for 100 days,the world witnessed the genocide of tutsis.

when paul kagame was able to defeat the hutus, they fled to our country.the congo.

i remember how these hutus invaded our country with their guns,money,vehicles etc,

kagame wanted to pursue the hutus inside the congo,but he couldnt because of mobutu. so,he had to find one of mobutu's ennemy to do the job.

who was the man ? laurent kabila.

kabila and kagame were introduced by yoweri museveni.

the mistake kabila made will cost us dearly. kabila kicked mobutu out.but not mobutu alone.his army and their troops fled the congo as well. now kabila became president without our own army.his army was made of rwandan and ugandan troops.

when kabila decided to send the rwandan army back to rwanda,they refused to leave the country.

paul kagame had to kill kabila. so he knew that joseph kabila the adopted son of laurent kabila was the man for the job.

remember,laurent kabila had killed joseph's dad years ago.

who killed kabila senior? the friends of joseph kabila.

after the death of laurent kabila,there was an assassination case opened.but a month after that,the judges who were suppposed to try the suspects were fired by joseph kabila and within a few weeks they dissappeared. we then heard that there was a breaking at the makala prison and that the two suspects who were kept for the assassination of laurent kabila had escaped.

its messed up. we just pray that by november, mr etienne tahisekedi will defeat joseph kabila
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 3:47am On May 15, 2011
So paul kagame is a devil.him and yoweri museveni of uganda.

if you have been following the elections in uganda you wont help but get pissed off. yoweri museveni the devil has wont the elections after 26 years in power.his opponent, dr besigye is now going thru hell.he bets beaten up almost every week by the men of museveni.

if we had presidents like ghaddafi, our continent would be very peaceful and prosperous.

the day is coming when we will be free of the neo coloniasts.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 10:58pm On May 15, 2011
eddy i tried posting this yesterday but for some strange reason it was deleted, any way here goes:

^^^
i thought as much - america and europe are up to their old tricks as usual, this is the same destabilisation that they are causing in libya but im very happy that gadaffi is making it vry difficult for them to overrun his country.

I am sorry to hear about the amoutn of people that have died in your country, you are right the western media does not cover this story, instead they talk about the mass despoils and the inter ethnic war but they dont tell the public about their own involvement in it. I am so disgusted at how they have been able to get away with the mass genocide that went on in your country. I have been following your country's history and it has been a very tragic one beginning with that evil king leopold of belgium who stole your country and terrorised your people. I remember watching this documentary about how belgium was built from the stolen wealth of the congo. i also remember reading about how US intelligence (CIA) colluded with the belgians and mobutu to murder lumumba.

Can you clarify for me why your former president Laurent Kabila joined forces with Paul Kagame to in order to overthrow Mobutu and why after that did Kabila end up dead?

I read an article that said that Paul Kagame was behind the plane crash that killed the former Rwandan president which triggered the genocide of tutsis by the hutus - is that true?

I know about the coltan and another very rare mineral called cassiterite which is also used for making component parts of electronics - as you correctly pointed out - all the big multinationals like sony, apple and microsoft have a huge vested interested in keeping that war running in your country and this is why it has raged on for years with no serious peaceful resolution in sight - i think its tragic.

I beleive that the rest of africa is about to experience recolonisation by america and europe for its natural resources but many africans particularly nigerians are completely ignorant of this and do not see the danger ahead.

I really feel bad for the way things are in your country, but it looks like this type of situation may soon spread to other resource rich parts of africa.

I hear what you say about your current president Joseph Kabila - i think the reason he's turning a blind eye to the ongoing genocide in your country is because he's afraid of ending up like his father, i think he knows that Paul Kagame is a US puppet and he is probably frightened of antagonising him, correct me if im wrong.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by pleep(m): 4:33am On May 16, 2011
Estimated 24 trillion dollars of natural resources in the Congo. undecided
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 4:44am On May 16, 2011
yeah its a filthy rich nation. if only given a chance to have good governance and leadership,that country can change the whole african continent.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 10:13am On May 16, 2011
eddy - so going by what you said joseph kabila gave the order for the assassination of his late adoptive father laurent kabila under instructions from Kagame.

that means that joseph kabila is actually a rwandan (son of christophe kanambe) and Paul kagame's puppet?

so your country is really being run by a rwandan
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by RSA(m): 2:33pm On May 16, 2011
@Eddy1977

First let me say I find your version of what happened in Rwanda,Uganda and Congo fascinating.Are you saying Kagame,started the 94 genocide after killing a legitimate Hutu President?
I thought Kagame was a goodie.I know that my country South Africa played a big role in putting Joseph Kabila in the seat of presidency in DRC.I hope we wont live to regret this.Josep sound like bad man,who was out to revenge his real father's death,and now he is the President of the richest country in Africa.

I also read this piece and made me think

http://www.aparecordc.org/forum/galerie/documents/11741265912128.pdf
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by Googler(m): 4:48pm On May 16, 2011
cap28:

eddy i tried posting this yesterday but f[b]or some strange reason it was deleted[/b], any way here goes:

That was the Americans, with a lil help from the French and their cronies on the Nairaland board. They're everywhere, these Americans! grin
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 7:59pm On May 16, 2011
RSA:

@Eddy1977

First let me say I find your version of what happened in Rwanda,Uganda and Congo fascinating.Are you saying Kagame,started the 94 genocide after killing a legitimate Hutu President?
I thought Kagame was a goodie.I know that my country South Africa played a big role in putting Joseph Kabila in the seat of presidency in DRC.I hope we wont live to regret this.Josep sound like bad man,who was out to revenge his real father's death,and now he is the President of the richest country in Africa.

I also read this piece and made me think

http://www.aparecordc.org/forum/galerie/documents/11741265912128.pdf

wow!!! i just read that doc you attached and it was a real eye opener.

However the article does not explain how Christophe Kanambe was killed and it does not implicate Laurent Kabila in his death either, but from all indications the only reason that Joseph Kabila would allow himself to be used as a pawn in such a way by Kagame would be because he was avenging his father's death, either that or he is a murderous psycopath - wow i just cant believe the deadly effect power has on people.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by eddy1977(m): 8:19pm On May 16, 2011
yes, its very appalling to witness what the west with the complicity of their two puppets,kagame and museveni are doing to the hinoncent people of the congo.

laurent kabila was a wonderful man who was assassinated because he refused to sell his country to the west.

rwanda has been governing the congo since 1997.

when laurent kabila came to power, who were his ministers? all the rwandan politicians like, deo bugera,bizima karah,james kaberebe and the list is long.
today these same guys who were respectively vice president,foreign affairs minister and major general of the congolese army are all ministers in rwanda.

joseph kabila is just a toy boy of paul kagame. i have a feeling that he will win the next elections.

if you do some researches on general laurent nkunda batware,you will cry.this guy started a bloody rebellion that claimed millions of lives in eastern congo.his associate and accomplice in this was bosco ntanganda.
laurent nkunda now lives as a free man in rwanda.joseph kabila has made bosco ntanganda one of the top generals of the congolese army.

what kills me is the silence of the entire world.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 8:37pm On May 16, 2011
^^^^
yes there was no way america was going to let laurent kabila run congo knowing full well that he was a nationalist and had been trying to get rid of mobutu for all those years, it looks like he was just used as a pawn by kagame to gain entry into the congo and as soon as he had outlived his usefulness joseph kabila under instructions from kagame - who in turn was  under instructions from the US was murdered. 

i cant see anything changing unless joseph kabila is removed from power and the congolese military reassert control over the congo.

this tactic of using foreign troops to overthrow and takeover sovereign nations was also used in somalia -  the americans armed and trained ethiopian troops and instructed them to go into somalia in order to take control of the country from a somalian leader that the US govt did not want in power, i cant remember his name.  im not sure whether or not this was successful.

Im glad that you are fully aware of the major role that america and europe are playing in the destabilisation of your country,  many nigerians are still very ignorant of the central role that america and europe play in keeping them down and they walk around in haze of ignorance thinking that these people are their allies.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 8:39pm On May 16, 2011
by the way i am also appalled like you at the lack of media coverage of this crisis.

this is why it is important that we educate ourselves about what is going on on our continent, many of us are totally ignorant of how the western powers have conspired to destroy africa and keep us economically enslaved.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:20am On May 17, 2011
Very interesting thread. Didn't know a lot of what eddy1977 mentioned.

As for the original post, I don't believe the figures.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by MyJoe: 1:25pm On May 17, 2011
eddy1977:

Laurent kabila was a young disciple of patrice lumumba the man who gave his life for the independance of the congo.
when mobutu killed lumumba in 1961 with the help of the usa and belgium (lumumba was dipped in acid), kabila started a 30 year old rebellion to avenge lumumba. kabila had the support of china and cuba ( che guevarra), but because mobutu was heavily armed by the wedt, kabila was unsuccesful.

the kabila rebellion was in the kivu province (east).
there,he made friends with the tutsis who wanted to oust the hutus's regime in rwanda,burundi and uganda.

one of kabila's ally was christophe kanambe, a tutsi from rwanda and the biological father of the current president of the congo (joseph kabila).

christophe kanambe had troubles with kabila and decided to partner with mobutu and kill kabila.but kabila was very smart and found out the plot,and killed christophe kanambe. he also took kanambe's wife  ( mrs sifa mahanya) and her three kids: hyppolite ( now know as joseph kabila), jaynet and zoe.all three being biological children of late christophe kanambe.

its amazing that until this day,president joseph kabila's legal signature reads: hyppolite kanambe.

in 1994 when president juvenal habyarimana of rwanda was killed by the troops of general paul kagame with the help of the ugandan dictator/president yoweri kaguta museveni,the tustis finaly realised the century long dream of ruling rwanda.but the hutus wanted to avenge the death of their brother and president juvenal habyarimana.this how for 100 days,the world witnessed the genocide of tutsis.

when paul kagame was able to defeat the hutus, they fled to our country.the congo.

i remember how these hutus invaded our country with their guns,money,vehicles etc,

kagame wanted to pursue the hutus inside the congo,but he couldnt because of mobutu. so,he had to find one of mobutu's ennemy to do the job.

who was the man ?  laurent kabila.

kabila and kagame were introduced by yoweri museveni.

the mistake kabila made will cost us dearly. kabila kicked mobutu out.but not mobutu alone.his army and their troops fled the congo as well. now kabila became president without our own army.his army was made of rwandan and ugandan troops.

when kabila decided to send the rwandan army back to rwanda,they refused to leave the country.

paul kagame had to kill kabila. so he knew that joseph kabila the adopted son of laurent kabila was the man for the job.

remember,laurent kabila had killed joseph's dad years ago.

who killed kabila senior? the friends of joseph kabila.

after the death of laurent kabila,there was an assassination case opened.but a month after that,the judges who were suppposed to try the suspects were fired by joseph kabila and within a few weeks they dissappeared. we then heard that there was a breaking at the makala prison and that the two suspects who were kept for the assassination of laurent kabila had escaped.

its messed up. we just pray that by november, mr etienne tahisekedi will defeat joseph kabila

Much of this is believable for two reasons:
1. The mystery surrounding the death of Laurent Kabila, in spite of the fact some people were tried and sentenced to death.
2. Kagame's well-known ruthlessness. (Of course, I have always believed he killed Habyarimana - which makes him vicariously liable for the genocide. Maybe one day when he is out of power that French Judge will have his way.)

eddy1977:

yes, its very appalling to witness what the west with the complicity of their two puppets,kagame and museveni  are doing to the hinoncent people of the congo.

laurent kabila was a wonderful man who was assassinated because he refused to sell his country to the west.

rwanda has been governing the congo since 1997.

when laurent kabila came to power, who were his ministers? all the rwandan politicians like, deo bugera,bizima karah,james kaberebe and the list is long.
today these same guys who were respectively vice president,foreign affairs minister and major general of the congolese army are all ministers in rwanda.

joseph kabila is just a toy boy of paul kagame. i have a feeling that he will win the next elections.

if you do some researches on general laurent nkunda batware,you will cry.this guy started a bloody rebellion that claimed millions of lives in eastern congo.his associate and accomplice in this was bosco ntanganda.
laurent nkunda now lives as a free man in rwanda.joseph kabila has made bosco ntanganda one of the top generals of the congolese army.

what kills me is the silence of the entire world.
I disagree with much of this. Kagame and Joseph Kabila may have killed the senior Kabila (I don't know this for a fact, but your story is credible like I said) but they have since fallen out. It seems they can't agree on how to work together. The US and Belgium have played a big role in Congo's crises throughout the years, but nowadays their roles are much reduced or non-existent. The problem with most conspiracy theorists is they don't realise the Cold War is over (or they don't know what that means) and the US and co have pretty much left the third world countries to stew in their juices. There is no reason to believe that the US is ordering Kagame to order Joseph Kabila around. None. The "silence of the entire world" that you speak of is real. Nobody is interested in the Congo's problems, including those who played significant roles in messing up the country like the USA and Belgium. I think the biggest problem of the Congo today is Joseph Kabila's incompetence, aptly described by Kagame as "weak leadership".

I also don't agree with your view that Laurent Kabila was a wonderful man, but that's a matter for another day. Che Guevara who once fought alongside him certainly didn't consider him a wonderful man, either.

Tshisekedi winning? I doubt it.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 2:27pm On May 17, 2011
MyJoe:

The US and Belgium have played a big role in Congo's crises throughout the years, but nowadays their roles are much reduced or non-existent. The problem with most conspiracy theorists is they don't realise the Cold War is over (or they don't know what that means) and the US and co have pretty much left the third world countries to stew in their juices.

really?

so can you explain why a UN report written in 2002 concluded that 85 multinationals were faciliitating the plunder of the DRC's mineral wealth :

Dozens of multinationals including Barclays Bank, De Beers and Anglo American have been accused of facilitating the plunder of the Democratic Republic of Congo's wealth in a scathing UN report published yesterday.
An independent panel of experts reported to the UN security council that 85 multinational companies based in Europe, the US and South Africa had violated ethical guidelines in dealing with criminal networks which have pillaged natural resources from the war-torn central African country.

According to the panel, a scramble for gold, diamonds, cobalt and copper by army officers, government officials and entrepreneurs from Congo and neighbouring African countries had generated billions of dollars which found its way to mining companies and financial institutions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/oct/22/congo.rorycarroll

by the way i am unclear as to why you have even brought up the issue of the cold war - what does it have to do with america and europe's plunder of congo's natural resources? Since you are an authority on the cold war perhaps you could explain.

There is no reason to believe that the US is ordering Kagame to order Joseph Kabila around. None. The "silence of the entire world" that you speak of is real. Nobody is interested in the Congo's problems, including those who played significant roles in messing up the country like the USA and Belgium. I think the biggest problem of the Congo today is Joseph Kabila's incompetence, aptly described by Kagame as "weak leadership".

Well most well informed africans beg to differ, to my mind Joseph Kabila is only where he is today because of Kagame and his rwandan troops,  Joseph Kabila is also related to another senior Rwandan mitary man James Kabarebe who was instrumental in assisting Joseph Kabila's rise to power,  both Kaberebe and Kagame are said to have groomed Joseph Kabila and im sure he wouldnt want to bite the fingers that placed him in power, by refusing to take orders from Kagame.
Kagame continues to receive millions of dollars in military aid from the US.

also according to this article Kagame remains a valuable US asset:

One of the United States’ main allies in Black Africa recently declared himself the winner of a farcical presidential election with 93 percent of the vote. But there will be no outcry from Hillary Clinton’s State Department or Barack Obama’s White House, or even much of a fuss from the New York Times, because President Paul Kagame, of Rwanda, serves U.S. interests. You will never hear western governments and media call Kagame by his true name: a dictator and warlord from the minority Tutsi tribe that holds sway over the majority Hutu population through a reign of terror. Instead, western capitalists shower his regime with money and high praise as an example of how Africa should be governed.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=20622
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 2:47pm On May 17, 2011
Paul Kagame and his mentor and fellow warlord in neighboring Uganda, President Woseri Museveni, were given the green light by the West to kill and steal at will in Central Africa. They are the two main architects of the genocide in the eastern Congo, where some estimate six million people have died since Rwanda and Uganda invaded the region, in the mid-Nineties. The soldiers of these two U.S. henchmen are still there, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, looting precious minerals for sale to multinational corporations under cover of tribal warfare – wars created and nurtured by Kagame and Museveni, themselves, for the sake of power and profit and the favor of the United States and Europe. Kagame and Museveni have more blood on their hands than any combination of men in Africa – which makes them heroes to the West.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=20622
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by MyJoe: 2:57pm On May 17, 2011
cap28:

really?
so can you explain why a UN report written in 2002 concluded that 85 multinationals were faciliitating the plunder of the DRC's mineral wealth :
So if Western companies plunder a country, it follows that Western governments are clandestinely sponsoring every coup that happens in that country. The Somali piracy problem was brought about by problems created by illegal fishing trawlers which came from Asia to plunder Somali marine resources. Therefore the Chinese government is responsible for ruining Somali and handing the world a piracy problem. That how you see it? Carry go!

Anyway , I am not getting into this. (But I’m taken aback you can’t see the context in which “Cold War” appears in that post). Only facts, to me, qualify and should form the basis for analysis, not wild hypotheses and conjectures. That quote from the The Guardian is a concise piece of FACT and it is also true 100%. Nothing I said in my post remotely contradicted it. As for the other quote from… er, globalresearch, oh, well… My only surprise is that you expect me to take "globalresearch" seriously.

cap28:

Well most well informed africans beg to differ, to my mind Joseph Kabila is only where he is today because of Kagame and his rwandan troops,  Joseph Kabila is also related to another senior Rwandan mitary man James Kabarebe who was instrumental in assisting Joseph Kabila's rise to power,  both Kaberebe and Kagame are said to have groomed Joseph Kabila and im sure he wouldnt want to bite the fingers that placed him in power.
Kagame continues to receive millions of dollars in military aid from the US.
How do I qualify for this exclusive club of Africans? By believing things without a credible reason to do so? Interesting. Anyway, what I’m interested in in this thread is why Eddy thinks Kagame and Kabila are an item. There is usually no point arguing with those who think white people are constantly trying to destroy us.

Edit:
Oh, it seems you mistook my “The US and Belgium have played…” to mean just anyone from those countries, hence your quote about the well-known fact that there are Western companies[b] collaborating with Congolese warlords and politicians[/b] to plunder Africa's richest country. No, I meant their governments since that is what Eddy was referring to as working with Kagame and Museveni to run things in the DRC.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 4:00pm On May 17, 2011
MyJoe:

So if Western companies plunder a country, it follows that Western governments are clandestinely sponsoring every coup that happens in that country. The Somali piracy problem was brought about by problems created by illegal fishing trawlers which came from Asia to plunder Somali marine resources. Therefore the Chinese government is responsible for ruining Somali and handing the world a piracy problem. That how you see it? Carry go!

err actually yes - you see multinational corporations exert huge control over their respective sovereign nations and they use their immense wealth to dictate and control the economic and foreign policy of their respective nations,  as a matter of fact 51 of the worlds largest econonomies are multinational corporations - THEY  control sovereign nations not the other way around.
with regard to the somali piracy problem thats an area that im not fully conversant with, so cant comment on, however if it was an illegal activity on the part of the chinese  then it doesnt fall within the remit of legitimate trade between two countries, its therefore irrelevant to what we're discussing here.

Anyway , I am not getting into this. (But I’m taken aback you can’t see the context in which “Cold War” appears in that post). Only facts, to me, qualify and should form the basis for analysis, not wild hypotheses and conjectures. That quote from the The Guardian is a concise piece of FACT and it is also true 100%. Nothing I said in my post remotely contradicted it. As for the other quote from… er, globalresearch, oh, well… My only surprise is that you expect me to take it "globalresearch" seriously.

Since you are taken aback by my inability to see how and why the cold war is relevant here - kindly explain why you feel it is relevant.

where are the wild hypotheses and conjectures you speak of?  i presented you with factual information citing 85 multinationals operating in the congo - is that the conjecture or wild hypothesis? or is it the UN report that is the wild hypothesis?

everything you said in your post contradicted that excerpt from the guardian - because you said that the US and belgian govts role in congo has been reduced or is non existent - how can their roles have been reduced or nonexistent when they have their multinational organisations (which i have already explained control and dictate the economic and foreign policy of their respective govts) STILL IN THE CONGO

How do I qualify for this exclusive club of Africans? By believing things without a credible reason to do so? Interesting. Anyway, what I’m interested in in this thread is why Eddy thinks Kagame and Kabila are an item. There is usually no point arguing with those who think white people are constantly trying to destroy us.

you dont seem to have any problem beleiving without a credible reason that the US and belgium have little or no presence in the congo, perhaps if you could open your mind a little and read a bit more widely you would find out who Paul kagame is and whose interests he serves.

by the way im sure  the white people are only in africa to make life better for the natives, that explains why 85 of their multinationals are plundering all the mineral resources of the congo while their govts finance and prop up Kagame and Museveni's troops - how could i have missed that !!

Edit:
Oh, it seems you mistook my “The US and Belgium have played…” to mean just anyone from those countries, hence your quote about the well-known fact that there are Western companies[b] collaborating with Congolese warlords and politicians[/b] to plunder Africa's richest country. No, I meant their governments since that is what Eddy was referring to as working with Kagame and Museveni to run things in the DRC.

again i will repeat - western govts DEFER to their multinational corporations who are much more powerful than soveriegn nations, if you doubt me research the GDP of corporations like exxon mobil, anglo america, de beers, shell etc - you will find that they regularly make huge financial "donations" to their countries respective political parties , infact the total revenue for america's fortune 500 is in the region of $10 trillion dollars - more than any african nation, with such huge wealth YOU dictate the tune and everyone else follows (including nations) not the other way around.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by MyJoe: 4:43pm On May 17, 2011
^^^ I disagree with your basic line of argument, but I am not getting into it with you. Thank you.
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 6:58pm On May 17, 2011
While cheered and canonized for ousting Mobutu just a year earlier (1997) Laurent Desire Kabila was soon declared a "dictator" because he steered Congo on an independent course. Kabila threw out Rwanda, Uganda, Bechtel, the World Bank and IMF, and so began the "War of Occupation." From 1998 to 2000 the Laurent Kabila government allied with Angola, Chad, Namibia, Sudan (Khartoum), Libya and Zimbabwe; South Africa has played both sides.

While the people of Congo resign themselves to believing that "the page has been turned" in Congolese affairs, much of the ongoing exploitation today can be directly connected to banking, plantations and mining interests that plundered the Belgian Congo (1908-1960) and then the "independent" state-the Democratic Republic of Congo (1960-1972) and then Zaire (1972-1997)-controlled by Joseph Mobutu and his western business partners and backers.

http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1171/1/
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 7:10pm On May 17, 2011
Amongst the many prominent people involved in the plunder of the DRC are Belgian nationals like Louis Michel, Étienne Davignon, Philippe de Moerloose and Andre Flahaut, and U.S. nationals like Henry Kissinger, Bill Richardson and Maurice Tempelsman. The interests of the Royal Family of Belgium are also involved. The predatory meddling and plundering of such people is rendered invisible by the international "community"-press, think-tanks, non-government organizations, foreign policy institutes and especially by academia-e.g. anthropology, international relations, political science, and African affairs departments.

With help from his "friends" behind the scenes, Joseph Kabila outmaneuvered Jean-Pierre Bemba to "win" the "historic national elections" of 2006, Congo's first since so-called independence in 1960. The two warlords-Kabila and Bemba-were competing to be the new Black Face of Congo presented to the world by the great white Anglo-European fathers.

Like academic institutions and African Studies departments all over America and Europe, the so-called "human rights" and "humanitarian" organizations gloss over, ignore or completely mask the realities of Western manipulation and control. The media reports the corporate line, full of tribalism and savagery and ebola viruses.

Many of the same families behind the European colonial enterprise-rooted in slavery, white supremacy and terror-are behind the warlords in Congo today.[b] The mainstays of exploitation, like the interests of former Belgian Barons or the Ministers of Colonies, have morphed into more insidious corporate entities. New players have dislodged some interests, like the [b]Israeli-Americans dealing in blood diamonds through the Tel Aviv diamond exchange with the support of the White House. And now China is deeply involved in the fray, but that's another story, another page to be unturned, and a hidden history to be excavated from the rubble of Central Africa.

It has often been stated that Joseph Kabila-whoever he is-had no choice but to assume the post he was pushed into as President of DRC. For Joseph Kabila to complain, balk or resist the machinations of power in any way, people close to him say, would mean his certain death.

http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1171/1/
Re: Worst Country To Be A Woman by cap28: 11:35pm On May 17, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cote d'Ivoire, One Year After Gbagbo Ouster / Brave Woman Poses Next To A Police Car Without Her Hyjab In Iran And This Happen / US Accuses South Africa Of Supplying Arms To Russia In Ukraine War (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.