Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,354 members, 7,780,949 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:12 AM

Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria (6006 Views)

Mutual Benefit Assurance Ltd Seizes My Money- With Pics / Can I Use Uba Visa Africard To Recieve Fund In Google Wallet / Zenith Bank Equity, Ethical And Mutual Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by daretayo(m): 8:34pm On Feb 10, 2006
Hello, I am interested sometime in the future in owning a financial service company in nigeria. With solodu on board now owning a bank is out of the question.

Instead I am thinking of starting and running a mutual fund in Nigeria. There are several big Mutual funds in Nigeria.The biggest and most sucessful is the IBTC fund that manages over 14 billion in assets .

My idea is that the stock market and real estate is the most secure investment in nigeria but the average nigerian finds it hard to invest in these on his own. With Mutual funds I can pool the funds of hundreds of small investor. I beleive there is a market for a small regional mutual fund with like 50-100million under management. It will be marketed the way insurance is marketed today in nigeria and focused in areas away from lagos.

i wonder if you think this will work. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by walemuse(m): 7:55am On Feb 11, 2006
I am sure your idea is going to work in Nigeria.I have always nursed the idea of starting a mutual fund myself but I av lotz of constraints at the moment.Anyway do your homework well, get the required knowledge,get credible Nigerians on board and I know the sky will be your starting point.

Ciao!
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by coldfire(m): 1:46pm On Feb 11, 2006
A Mutual Fund in Nigeria is a good idea. Note, however, that challenges exist - massive education campaigns will be required if the target is the small saver; internationally-acceptable investment grade opportunities are also few.

The phenomenon that's taking place instead is that people are forming Investment Clubs to jointly seek & seize opportunites that, though below investment-grade, they are convinced that the risks can be managed. A good investment example is real estate investment.

Maybe in future a REIT will eventually emerge as the govement reinforces the mortgage finance infrastructure this year with pending legislations. So long & good luck.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by folababa: 3:10pm On Feb 11, 2006
Its a good idea really, anything works down here, but you also most be very weary bout doing business here, the competition, the market... really i do not know what mutual funds mean ( not the literal meaning, but the fact that i have not being subjective to any of its market down here), i once did some software work on the discoveryfund thinkbig, and i most say that from my perspective, people have not readily accepted mutual funds, alot do direct shareholding instead. Well maybe the contenders around have not done much to Sensitize the community... maybe you have a better idea.. if you do , please bring something new.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by otokx(m): 4:04pm On Feb 11, 2006
u can site it in port harcourt; its a peaceful and prosperous place. i can also help you market it for a fee (of course)
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by Allwell(m): 4:32pm On Feb 11, 2006
PH peaceful ke? What about those mujadheens called Dokubo boys? Great Idea anyways.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by k9(m): 8:55pm On Feb 11, 2006
Funny enough, such concept occasionlly crosses my mind, but i closed in on real estate, which as you rightly say is just about the most secure investment porfolio in this clime, and i think real estate is even more secure. BUT, the challenges will be higher than mount everest. Such factors as you having credible names(backers,) enough money to do the ground work like massive sentitising of the public for a very loing time before the launch, which is more likely to make it a success, and many other such factors....

In my case, i approached the market, with an IPO kinda offer, stating categorically that the proceeds will be invested solely in real estate, stating all the advantages and all other benefits. The stock market at the moment is kinda "stagnant", if thats a good word to discribe it, it needs fresh investment outlets. But of course being real estate, it don't come cheap, so you'd be looking at waaaay more than 100m to make any effect. And so, just like any venture with promise, it is just about sure to succeed, if enough smart work is done.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by ZURIEL: 3:02pm On Jun 12, 2008
hi i just read your topic on mutual funds and i also want u to know that u are really in the right direction. i am also intrested and i think you and i can make a good team. right now i am actually researching on it and i have come up with an idea that will bring a particular market to a standstiill. seriously it the first in nigeria. always keep in touch.
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by muchacho: 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2008
I share the view of the investment club as a way of starting out and later matamorphose into mutual fund in real estate or any other area of business that is viable in the economy.
for a framework on inevstment club start-up contact M-concept, Muyiwat@yahoo.com.

At m-concept we drafted how to start and run an investment club successfully without hitches, including the following

INTRODUCTION
2.0 HOW IT WORKS
3.0 REASON FOR JOINING AN INVESTMENT CLUB
4.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE CLUB
5.0 JOINING AN EXISTING CLUB
6.0 LAUNCHING A NEW INVESTMENT CLUB
7.0 CONSTITUTION AND RULES
8.0 INVESTMENT STRATEGY
9.0 ATTRACTING MEMBERS
10.0 INAUGURAL MEETING – APPOINTMENT OF OFFICERS
11.0 OPERATIONS OF THE CLUB
12.0 CONCLUSION
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 30, 2008
@ poster startin a mutual fund is nt easy,i too wanted to start but the money involve is 2 much,first u need abt 200,000 to register in CAC as a financial company and u need another money say abt 350,000 naira to register with SEC in nigeria with this registration above u can start a mutual fund.men its a very profitable business by investing in real estate and stocks.u as the owner of the mutual fund u will be a billionaire.

i think u need a partner to help u out.is just that am in port harcourt,i think u ar far from me.

ciao
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by olajide8(m): 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2008
i guess we are alot that have the same dream i am about to start mine before the end of this month
Re: Starting A Mutual Fund In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 19, 2017
Welcome to the Billion Naira Project.

This same Cooperative formula was what brought China to the current world economic position they occupy today.

Thousands of Nigerians in self-determination to do the unthinkable and unusual, are signing up to join our Cooperative Society.

Our mission is to create jobs and open windows of business opportunities for Nigerians through our multi-billion naira Co-operative farm investment projects.

Projects include:

1. Dressed, Frozen and Packaged Chicken Processing Factory - a modern slaughter house.

2. Hectares of farmland for Plantain  cultivation

3. Any other viable business.

The question people asked me, how is it possible to get N1billion from the local citizens?

Very simple, based on individuals financial  status, a token of either
N5,000
N10,000
N50,000
N100,000 

Will be acceptable as investment funds from 100000 or more investors, whether they are within Nigeria or in diaspora.

The total figure we want to achieve is N1,000,000,000 (One Billion Naira Only) and more.

How will you do that and is it achievable?

Yes, it's the most easiest thing to do as a registered Cooperative Society whose mission is to Engage, Educate and Empower people towards securing a sustainable future.

What can N1billion do?

It can acquire hectares of arable farmland for Plantain cultivation.

It can acquire machineries and factory equipment for food processing business.

** We can engage in Cassava processing.

and many more profitable business.

Is this a ponzi scheme or MLM business?

No, it's not a Ponzi scheme. It's being regulated by the Ministry of Commerce and industries. We do not promise investors 100% unbelievable ROI.

What do I stand to benefit when I invest my funds?

Profits will be openly declared and shared accordingly to all members depending on the return-cycle of the agro business we ventured into. We have a return window of 3, 6 and 12 months, depending on the particular farm category we are engaging in at the time.

How do I register as a member of the Cooperative Society?

Visit us here: 
www.billionnairaproject.com

Nairaland thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/4126389/join-n1billion-plantain-cultivation-cocoa

Telegram:
https:///BillionNairaProject

Whatsapp:

(1) (Reply)

Am Having Problem With Payoneer Verification / Top 10 Youngest Internet Millionnaires Under 30 / New Biz/Entrepreneurship Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.