Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,233 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here (3946 Views)

Please Post All Your Java Programing Questions Here. / Post Your C#.net Questions Here / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 1:45am On May 16, 2011
Post your OCPJP (SCJP) questions and any other Java Standard Edition questions here and I will answer them as best as I can.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 8:53am On May 16, 2011
Thank you very much. what is the difference in a common term between Interface and Abstract? If you will give example with a sample code, I will be grateful. Thank you in advance.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 9:51am On May 16, 2011
An Abstract class (in contrast with a Concrete class) is a class that does not have enough knowledge of its own implementation. If at least a method in a class has been declared abstract that means the class itself MUST also be declared abstract. It is also possible to have an abstract class without any abstract method. An abstract class know little about its own implementation but not all, so the little that it knows is implemented while the unknown implementations will be delegated to subclasses overriding the abstract method. Take the Calender class for example in package java.util, it has a subclass GregorianCalender. Class Calender has a method to add some values (days, months, etc) to itself and, but take calender as it is, how is it know the exact calculations for the exact type of calender we're working with? It just doesn't have enough information to do the adding! A GregorianCalender (an implementation of Calender) know how calender values are manipulated in its own self. However any Calender can remember know the first day of the week if told so the setFirstDayOfWeek was not marked abstract.
An Interface on the other hand is just a specification of what is to be expected of a particular type of classes. All methods of interfaces are implicitly abstract. So a class implementing an interface MUST implement all its methods. If a class implements an interface, you can conveniently invoke a method of the interface of it and you will be guaranteed of not having a compiler error.

Example
public interface Openable {
void open();
void close();
}

public class Door {
public void open() {
//add the code that opens your door here
System.out.println("Door Opened."wink;
}

public void close() {
System.out.println("Door Closed."wink;
}
}

public class Window {
public void open() {
System.out.println("Window Opened."wink;
}

public void close() {
System.out.println("Window Closed."wink;
}
}

public class OpenableTest {
public static void main(String args[]) {
Openable[] openables = new Openable[]{new Door(), new Window()};
for (Openable openableElement : openables) {
openableElement.open();
openableElement.close();
}
}
}

Save and compile all classes separately. Notice this enhanced for statement; I don't care if I have a Door object or a Window object, I'm guaranteed of the presence of an open() and a close() method. Declaring this object types (when working with interfaces)
Openable myDoor = new Door(); is preferred to Door() myDoor = new Door(); because the first one paints one of the true facts of object-oriented programming. You may decide later that you want to use a Window instead of a Door, in which case only the declaration will be changed. Client classes will still remain the same because they still see a Window object as an Openable so they are not aware of the change.

I hope this helps.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 11:47am On May 16, 2011
@ SayoMarvel , thank you for the explanation. However, I'm yet to get the difference from the sample code you provided. The code showed how interface can be implemented and some of its essence but did not show how interface and abstract class vary in declaration,use and essence.I look forward for further clarification. Thank you in advance.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by wassolldas: 2:42pm On May 16, 2011
A class NEED not implement all the methods of an interface that it implements - A class that does not implement all the methods of an interface that it implements MUST be declared abstract. Choosing to use an interface or an abstract class is largely down to design reasons.

The following example is a bit simplistic but it is what I could come up with on the fly -

For example, let's say we have an abstract class Person - having the implemented methods - getName, getAge, getHeight etc. Logical subclasses could be Parent and Child.
Another abstract class Craft having the implemented methods -  start(), stop(), idle(). Logical subclasses could be Airplane, Submarine, Helicopter.

And we have an interface called Moveable - with the contract move(), increaseSpeed()

The classes Person and Craft could both implement Moveable and provide separate implementations. But Person and Craft do not follow a logical inheritance path.

I hope this helps to some extent.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 3:24pm On May 16, 2011
public abstract class FootWear {
Color color;
public abstract void lace();
public abstract String getName();
public Color getColor() {
return this.color;
}
public void setColor(Color color) {
this.color = color;
}
}
}

You can see that an abstract class can remember its color if told and it can contain some completely implemented methods. The only thing is that it cannot be instantiated using the new keyword. That means
FootWear footWear = new FootWear();
will throw a compiler error.
Classes that will provide the concrete implementation have to extend the abstract class (on like implementing an interface), and override the abstract methods without the abstract keyword.

public class Sandals extends FootWear {
public void lace() {
//add lacing code here
System.out.println("Sandals laced"wink;
}
public String getName() {
return "Sandals";
}
}

So to construct a Footwear now, you can say FootWear footWear = new Sandals();

So an abstract class can contain implementations while interfaces cannot.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 5:21pm On May 16, 2011
Thank you good people, it was very helpful.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 11:01pm On May 17, 2011
I'm very happy to hear that I was able to help. Feel free to post any other (Java 2 SE) issue on which you need clarification. wink
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by tirtimy: 12:13am On May 19, 2011
Please i want to know how long it will take me to learn java thxs
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 5:38pm On May 19, 2011
Learning Java is fun. Though it has a steep learning curve, with diligence and commitment (and of course a very good instructor), you should be up and running in no time. The first thing is to locate a very good training center. The reason many people think Java is difficult is because they just pick up a textbook and start reading and then they think that is enough. Why don't people just pick up Medical textbooks or Chemical Engineering textbooks and just read without going to school and they think they can do it with Software Engineering? After locating a good training center, lay your hands on this book: Java How To Program (8th Ed. by H. & M. Deitel). It will do you a whole lot of good. Make sure you have a personal computer with JDK installed and probably an editor like Dr. Java or simply Notepad. DO NOT use IDEs like NetBeans or Eclipse and the likes because they are meant for professionals and they will simple get in the way of your learning as a beginner. Devote time to it and in a couple of months, you will perform stunts; believe me.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by lolade123: 9:55am On May 20, 2011
Hello guys,nice thread here.I have this SCJP latest exam dumps.Got it 4 $100,but i need money now.would love to sell copies of it to any interested NLander for 5k.contact me for a deal(dipowo@gmail.com).Thanks
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 9:44pm On May 20, 2011
*laughing* This stuffs are freely available on the internet, why would anyone buy? Besides I hate the Idea of dumps. If you know your stuff, you don't need more than two mock exams (just to know the exam conditions) to pass. Dumps are making us produce quacks in Nigeria. I against people relying on dumps here. Copy?
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by naijaswag1: 11:22pm On May 20, 2011
Using dumps to pass a programming Language exam is useless.Its better you know it because you will have to code latter.You can look at boooks and sample question and you are good.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 7:16am On May 21, 2011
@naija_swag #gbayi That's it! You don't need dumps. Okay if you use dumps to pass any OCA/OCP exam, what happens when you apply for an OCM (Java or DBA) where you have to complete a project on your own or travel on site to take a full-day database design practical? You fumble, you fail and you waste your money, period! If you use dumps to pass the CCNA/CCNP, what happens when you get to CCIE where you have to travel to take the 8-hour "Almighty Lab?" You fumble, you fail, you waste your exam money, you waste your travel expenses and worst of all, if you fumble in an extremely bad way, Cisco can have all your previous certificates withdrawn! I've heard of several such cases.
When I took the Programmer Exam (Java), My test admin (who already sent me dumps like a month prior to when I took it) asked me during the exam "are the dumps working?", I replied "I didn't use the dumps." He was surprised and in his mind I could see he was thinking that I would fail. When each question came he expected me to recognize them, pick my answer an then press "next" but I thought carefully (and performed calculations where necessary) before making my choice. At the end of the exam I passed and he looked at me and said "If you continue like this, in a year from now, you will be a don." Those were exactly the words he used. And he was right. Now I'm taking the OCM (where you have to create your own mini database management system from scratch to work with a legacy database file, create your own network server from scratch to support multiple access from clients to the database, handle database issues associated to concurrent access, create GUI clients with which users can manipulate the database both locally or remotely from anywhere in the world) and it is quite easy for me. You will NEVER pass that with dumps and in fact, there are no dumps for the OCMJD exam. What will be inside the dumps?
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 9:31am On May 21, 2011
SayoMarvel:

@naija_swag #gbayi That's it! You don't need dumps. Okay if you use dumps to pass any OCA/OCP exam, what happens when you apply for an OCM (Java or DBA) where you have to complete a project on your own or travel on site to take a full-day database design practical? You fumble, you fail and you waste your money, period! If you use dumps to pass the CCNA/CCNP, what happens when you get to CCIE where you have to travel to take the 8-hour "Almighty Lab?" You fumble, you fail, you waste your exam money, you waste your travel expenses and worst of all, if you fumble in an extremely bad way, Cisco can have all your previous certificates withdrawn! I've heard of several such cases.
When I took the Programmer Exam (Java), My test admin (who already sent me dumps like a month prior to when I took it) asked me during the exam "are the dumps working?", I replied "I didn't use the dumps." He was surprised and in his mind I could see he was thinking that I would fail. When each question came he expected me to recognize them, pick my answer an then press "next" but I thought carefully (and performed calculations where necessary) before making my choice. At the end of the exam I passed and he looked at me and said "If you continue like this, in a year from now, you will be a don." Those were exactly the words he used. And he was right. Now I'm taking the OCM (where you have to create your own mini database management system from scratch to work with a legacy database file, create your own network server from scratch to support multiple access from clients to the database, handle database issues associated to concurrent access, create GUI clients with which users can manipulate the database both locally or remotely from anywhere in the world) and it is quite easy for me. You will NEVER pass that with dumps and in fact, there are no dumps for the OCMJD exam. What will be inside the dumps?
@ SayoMarvel, you are right. One quick question, the exam you
are taking now, is it the former SCJD assignment and exam?
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Seun(m): 9:25pm On May 21, 2011
Interesting thread!
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by segsalerty(m): 11:52pm On May 21, 2011
SayoMarvel:

Nice spirit,
I and a friend of mine already have our assignment questions (OCMJD) for abt 2 months now lazy us havent done a bit of it yet, kinda busy with other stuffs. to me , certification isnt the real point coz we never even can tell what Oracle/Java is up to concerning this assignment thing (looks simple) as far as all the MUST demands are met and NO PROVING *** I TOO KNOW **, well am planning to start mine this summer. I dnt know of my friend . we are just too busy. grin We still have 10months left to submit the assignment. So, no biggie. except for this Prometric to Pearson VUE issh that arrised like 2weeks ago now.

Hey hey , let me ask, did u register ur OCMJD with Prometric , if yes? wat do u think about the email sent to u by Oracle and as a result, when are u planning to submit this assignment , how far have u gone self ? wink wink wink
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 2:42am On May 22, 2011
Otuabaroku:

@ SayoMarvel, you are right. One quick question, the exam you
are taking now, is it the former SCJD assignment and exam?
Yes.

Seun:

Interesting thread!
I'm happy to hear that. smiley However, I will like to message you personally. I understand you may not want to share your email publicly so please mail me with your address via this address: marvelindaclub <at> <the mail giant that starts with "Y"> dot kom. Please edit this post and remove my email when you read it.

segsalerty:

Nice spirit,
I and a friend of mine already have our assignment questions (OCMJD) for abt 2 months now lazy us havent done a bit of it yet, kinda busy with other stuffs. to me , certification isnt the real point coz we never even can tell what Oracle/Java is up to concerning this assignment thing (looks simple) as far as all the MUST demands are met and NO PROVING *** I TOO KNOW **, well am planning to start mine this summer. I dnt know of my friend . we are just too busy. grin We still have 10months left to submit the assignment. So, no biggie. except for this Prometric to Pearson VUE issh that arrised like 2weeks ago now.

Hey hey , let me ask, did u register your OCMJD with Prometric , if yes? wat do u think about the email sent to u by Oracle and as a result, when are u planning to submit this assignment , how far have u gone self ? wink wink wink
Hey hey, let me give you a quickie. That's how it seems before you start work. As you progress, issues start arising and the effects little design flaws from the beginning starts to surface. Funny enough, some things may just not be clear and like in the real world where clients may not be willing to discuss with you every now and then; you can't even talk to Oracle at all. So you take YOUR best approach and document why you did so. As a matter of fact, you have till 31st of July to complete your project, check this: http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=449&p_org_id=47&lang=US
So bro, I think there is a real BIGGIE hanging down your neck grin. I've opened a Pearson VUE account in preparation for my essay exam. I've completed the database and I'm starting the server. I'm also working slowly because for like a month, my system was down so I took vacation, then recently I've been visiting OD/Orthodontics because of an accident I had long ago and then, I'm so busy too. But I believe everything is alright by God's grace.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by segsalerty(m): 11:53am On May 22, 2011
Uhmm, i see. thought d deadlin ish isnt meant to affect us ni. nw i've got to start as soon as summer starts nxt 2 wks.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 2:05pm On May 22, 2011
segsalerty:

Uhmm, i see. thought d deadlin ish isnt meant to affect us ni. nw i've got to start as soon as summer starts nxt 2 wks.
Thumbs Up! I do hope you have a rock-solid design knowledge of the whole stuff. Don't just jump into coding please. Copy?
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by segsalerty(m): 4:19pm On May 22, 2011
SayoMarvel:

Thumbs Up! I do hope you have a rock-solid design knowledge of the whole stuff. Don't just jump into coding please. Copy?
grin lolz, actually, i never thought this kinda of thread can exist coz i didnt actually see anything of value on all tjese certs other than formality and paparazy. all sha, its nt really a test of one's capability. So, GOD help us pass am sha. so tat money no go waste.

one quick question. when did u start coding java?

L8r
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 6:15pm On May 22, 2011
segsalerty:

grin lolz, actually, i never thought this kinda of thread can exist coz i didnt actually see anything of value on all tjese certs other than formality and paparazy. all sha, its nt really a test of one's capability. So, GOD help us pass am sha. so tat money no go waste.

^^^ Exactly my sentiment about the certification stuff. Anyway, I wish you guys best of luck.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 6:59pm On May 22, 2011
segsalerty:

one quick question. when did u start coding java?
2007, roughly four years now.

Otuabaroku:

^^^ Exactly my sentiment about the certification stuff. Anyway, I wish you guys best of luck.
The certs are not just mere formality and if you want to work for many of these BIG companies before you start your own, certs may really help you. Check charms website, they asked for a 2:1 in engineering, SCJP (SCJD an added advantage). I have an accounting guy with SCJP and SCWCD and he's now in Etisalat. Many more,
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by segsalerty(m): 7:55pm On May 22, 2011
SayoMarvel:

2007, roughly four years now.
The certs are not just mere formality and if you want to work for many of these BIG companies before you start your own, certs may really help you. Check charms website, they asked for a 2:1 in engineering, SCJP (SCJD an added advantage). I have an accounting guy with SCJP and SCWCD and he's now in Etisalat. Many more,
If dat long u ve started. getting scjp, passing scjjjjxzz shouldnt be freaking to u. Oh, get employed by chams, etisalat? U self know this our country sucks when it comes to job offers by all these firms that we think they pay too well. thats not d key to show a programmer is successful.

me? All these cert is just for the title to encourage those who is willinh to program someday
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 9:41am On May 23, 2011
No. 1. Certs ain't freeking me. I know what I can do and moreover, I don't have plans for many of these Nigerian companies. I have another course of sail in which these certs are going to help (going outta the country next year for some important programming stuffs). However a programmer should really be judged by what he/she can do but come to think of it, how do you want to pass through the certs filter to get the opportunity to pull your stunts? Also, your preparation for certs fill the holes in your learning (do you know about the java.io.Externalizable interface? probably not, most likely). You may also like to work for the big names to gain experience, industry contacts, full credentials that can help you win contracts when you're on your own, and of course the pay to start your own. So certs are not useless bro.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 4:50pm On May 23, 2011
SayoMarvel:

No. 1. Certs ain't freeking me. I know what I can do and moreover, I don't have plans for many of these Nigerian companies. I have another course of sail in which these certs are going to help (going outta the country next year for some important programming stuffs). However a programmer should really be judged by what he/she can do but come to think of it, how do you want to pass through the certs filter to get the opportunity to pull your stunts? Also, your preparation for certs fill the holes in your learning (do you know about the java.io.Externalizable interface? probably not, most likely). You may also like to work for the big names to gain experience, industry contacts, full credentials that can help you win contracts when you're on your own, and of course the pay to start your own. So certs are not useless bro.
^^^ While I'm not saying that certs are useless. Your assumption that when you travel out, it will open opportunity for you is a mirage. Out there, nobody cares about your cert, what interest them most is your work experience. That you have PHD in programming from Harvard, they response will be: " and so fucking what, what have you done with it?". Generally, they are not certs crazy like us rather experience.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Fayimora(m): 5:52pm On May 23, 2011
Otuabaroku:

^^^ While I'm not saying that certs are useless. Your assumption that when you travel out, it will open opportunity for you is a mirage. Out there, nobody cares about your cert, what interest them most is your work experience. That you have PHD in programming from Harvard, they response will be: " and so bleeping what, what have you done with it?". Generally, they are not certs crazy like us rather experience.

Am not saying you are wrong but errm a bit on the side. Here in the Uk for instance, you job experience doesn't really matter. NOw all they care about is that you are CAPABLE. Where you job experience comes in is if you CLAIM to know too much, probably on your cv or something and you are a graduate for more than 3yrs without a job.

I won a competition and was offered a job worth £33grand(a summer job). I rejected it.Not because I didn't want the money but because I didn't want the "analyst" job. What amma tryna point out here. Am still a student, a software developer with NO "actual" job experience but was offered a job like a graduate.

I always say that working is not the problem, the problem is when you get to work, what knowledge do you wanna apply? What can you do? The only way you can survive in the technology industry is to wipe out every trace of making money out of what you do from your mind. Just have it in mind that you want to do something that the world would use, something that would be useful. When you achieve this, no one is gonna tell you how to make money out of this.

If your mind is base on jobs jobs jobs or just making money, then sorry, you are hardly gonna get anywhere.

Develop softwares for free(open source). When it gets real big then the money making time comes in.

Lemme just narrate a very short example,

You develop a sch soft. You make it for sale. Not all schs would buy it so lets say 10 schs buy it. They each pay you £500. Ok cool. If they have any problems, you fix it and then they probably pay you just £20 or even nothing depending on the type of problem. How rich are you gonna be?

Thats the first instance, Dwell on it while i type the second

You develop a sch soft out of freewill but save some really cool features. You distribute it to schs to test and take use of, since its free 90% would use it. Now after a month and you have cool feedback. Your status changes. You have 10 cool features u havent included. Now implement 2 updates but let that update cost money, Say £100, Sounds small?Not so fast, Now given that they know what they are using is outta date and they want cool features then they upgrade. The money you would make from your first update alone would be almost more that what you had if you used the first instance.

Now thats not all, say every 2 months you bring up 2 *cool* updates again for the same price. Inbtw those months you probably throw in 1 basic update for free.

Now you are building a life time job. With something like this, you are going to be receiving millions in months. Wy because other companies are also gonna come for you and you use the same logic. The funniest part is, although some may know what you are doing, they can't stop you.

Hahaha

Anyways this can go on for ages so yeah thats basically it,
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Fayimora(m): 5:53pm On May 23, 2011
wow just realised ma post was really long, sowie bout that, lets get back to the purpose of the thread
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 10:10pm On May 23, 2011
Fayimora:

Am not saying you are wrong but errm a bit on the side. Here in the Uk for instance, you job experience doesn't really matter. NOw all they care about is that you are CAPABLE. Where you job experience comes in is if you CLAIM to know too much, probably on your cv or something and you are a graduate for more than 3yrs without a job.

I won a competition and was offered a job worth £33grand(a summer job). I rejected it.Not because I didn't want the money but because I didn't want the "analyst" job. What amma tryna point out here. Am still a student, a software developer with NO "actual" job experience but was offered a job like a graduate.

I always say that working is not the problem, the problem is when you get to work, what knowledge do you wanna apply? What can you do? The only way you can survive in the technology industry is to wipe out every trace of making money out of what you do from your mind. Just have it in mind that you want to do something that the world would use, something that would be useful. When you achieve this, no one is gonna tell you how to make money out of this.

If your mind is base on jobs jobs jobs or just making money, then sorry, you are hardly gonna get anywhere.

Develop softwares for free(open source). When it gets real big then the money making time comes in.

Lemme just narrate a very short example,

You develop a sch soft. You make it for sale. Not all schs would buy it so lets say 10 schs buy it. They each pay you £500. Ok cool. If they have any problems, you fix it and then they probably pay you just £20 or even nothing depending on the type of problem. How rich are you gonna be?

Thats the first instance, Dwell on it while i type the second

You develop a sch soft out of freewill but save some really cool features. You distribute it to schs to test and take use of, since its free 90% would use it. Now after a month and you have cool feedback. Your status changes. You have 10 cool features u havent included. Now implement 2 updates but let that update cost money, Say £100, Sounds small?Not so fast, Now given that they know what they are using is outta date and they want cool features then they upgrade. The money you would make from your first update alone would be almost more that what you had if you used the first instance.

Now thats not all, say every 2 months you bring up 2 *cool* updates again for the same price. Inbtw those months you probably throw in 1 basic update for free.

Now you are building a life time job. With something like this, you are going to be receiving millions in months. Wy because other companies are also gonna come for you and you use the same logic. The funniest part is, although some may know what you are doing, they can't stop you.

Hahaha

Anyways this can go on for ages so yeah thats basically it,
^^ Let us not get it twisted. there is a clear difference between capability and putting your capability into use(experience).Let me buttress this with this example.

You have just graduated with first class in computer science and you are employed as solution Architect to develop a control system solution that will guide a space craft or rocket to space and return successfully. I bet you no matter how capable you think you are, there are some deadly mistake you are bound to make in this design. The obvious among them are the choice of processor, deadlock conditions etc. Some of these deadly errors are avoided my experience(putting capabilityo use) over time and not how capable you think you are.

I could go on and on with numerous examples but I do not have that time now.One thing is certain, you can not relegate experience in any endeavour. That is why they cherish it so much in advance economy than in naija where certs is the main thing. Hope you get where i'm heading to?
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by SayoMarvel(m): 10:23pm On May 23, 2011
Otuabaroku:

^^^ While I'm  not saying that certs are useless. Your assumption that when you travel out, it will open opportunity for you  is a mirage. Out there, nobody cares about your cert, what interest them most is your work experience. That you have PHD in programming from Harvard, they response will be: " and so bleeping what, what have you done with it?". Generally, they are not certs crazy like us rather experience.
You don't know where I'm going, you don't know what I'm going to do and you don't know why I expend time, energy and resources to get this certs so you can't say that academic/professional certificates won't help. The usefulness of certs depends on why you prepare for them in the first place. I never said I prepared for them to enhance job opportunities (though its part of it anyway).

I suggest you read my last post.
SayoMarvel:

Also, your preparation for certs fill the holes in your learning (do you know about the java.io.Externalizable interface? probably not, most likely).
Some certs give you good professional habits, fill holes in your learning, give you insights into alternative solutions to a problem you might have been solving using a more tedious approach. Except for the cram and pour guyz, preparing for a cert will definitely enhance your knowledge.
And moreover there are some contacts you will never make without some certs. If you are not an OCP, you will never be able to use our members only website, if you are not an OCM, by next month by God's grace I will join the elite world of Oracle Certified Masters and meet people you may not be able to meet if you're not OCM. Java champions (composed of less than a hundred people worldwide) have their members only site, if you're not a Java champion, it may be difficult to establish a good relationship with these people (though Java Champ is not a cert) and you can't become a Java Champ without first being an Oracle Certified Master (Java Developer or Enterprise Architect). Food for thought.
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by segsalerty(m): 10:47pm On May 23, 2011
SayoMarvel:

You don't know where I'm going, you don't know what I'm going to do and you don't know why I expend time, energy and resources to get this certs so you can't say that academic/professional certificates won't help. The usefulness of certs depends on why you prepare for them in the first place. I never said I prepared for them to enhance job opportunities (though its part of it anyway).

I suggest you read my last post.Some certs give you good professional habits, fill holes in your learning, give you insights into alternative solutions to a problem you might have been solving using a more tedious approach. Except for the cram and pour guyz, preparing for a cert will definitely enhance your knowledge.
And moreover there are some contacts you will never make without some certs. If you are not an OCP, you will never be able to use our members only website, if you are not an OCM, by next month by God's grace I will join the elite world of Oracle Certified Masters and meet people you may not be able to meet if you're not OCM. Java champions (composed of less than a hundred people worldwide) have their members only site, if you're not a Java champion, it may be difficult to establish a good relationship with these people (though Java Champ is not a cert) and you can't become a Java Champ without first being an Oracle Certified Master (Java Developer or Enterprise Architect). Food for thought.

grin now i grab u friend , i have been using my mobile to post all these while thats why i havent talk much, NOW, i had to use a dude's PC,
Bros, dont get it twisted, do u want people to worship u coz of ur cert ? is that why u created this thread? Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here ? u think we or maybe i will start biting my fingers and knodding my head to the wall coz i havent made use of the java.io.Externalizable interface in the java api doc? please, and please, that doesnt make u a CHAMP. there are some dudes that have been coding JAVA since them secondary sch, i had my SCJP whatever 2009 with SQL Excpert 2010 when i just thought of playing with Certs . Her, i have been coding far far since before then. U know what? i have got myself involved in so many Software Dev projects. as an undergraduate, i have met so many mad programmers which makes me be a student member of my school ICT team, ouch, at my level, i registered for this OCM thing about 2 months ago which my other dude in sch happened to be the one that Gingered me by all means for it . should have done it for this kinda PRIDE of urs if i wanted to since 2009 that i was qualified to.
You see, we all wish u the best in ur endeavour. but, dont get Cert of Experience or whatever u think u have Billions of it coz u expect PEOPLE to value u so higher or WORSHIP u, Damn, i have some kind of young dudes in my sch department that i keep Gingering to be Crazy programmers and Developers. men, no think am , people are very good than u think. Just keep to urself.
Dont let this thread go too far than this.

@fayimora
U make sense with ur comment. This dude really expect us all to start to dey bow for his cert. I thought as much when i saw this thread title, the thread was going to another dimension at first but the dude had to drive it back to where he wanted it to belong. Wheather u want to travel out with ur cert or not, doesnt concern us. I have an undergraduate dude in my sch that has written his CCIE exams and going for his LAB in few months time, not just him, so many people with Mad CERTS , its just nothing to be creating a thread about. Its just PAPARAZY !. okay? wink
Re: Post Your Ocpjp (scjp) Questions Here by Otuabaroku: 11:17pm On May 23, 2011
SayoMarvel:

I suggest you read my last post.Some certs give you good professional habits, fill holes in your learning, give you insights into alternative solutions to a problem you might have been solving using a more tedious approach. Except for the cram and pour guyz, preparing for a cert will definitely enhance your knowledge.
^^^ Common guy, you do not need to be Java Champion to relate to those people you aspire to meet. All you need to do is develop a complex solution to solve complex problem that nobody has done before. You will be sprung to lime light and those your Java champions will be queueing up to meet you. Once again, what you can do is what matters not the certs you got.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Is Used In Programming Sim Cards? / Let's Set Up a Non-Profit Developer Network / Where Can I Learn Programming In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.