Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,751 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine (127262 Views)

Poll: which is better 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder

4-cylinder: 31% (30 votes)
6-cylinder: 68% (64 votes)
This poll has ended

How Much Is Honda Accord 2004 (EOD) 4 Cylinder Engine! / Diff. Btw. Toyota Camry 6 Cylinder & 4 Cylinder / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 17, 2011
PBundles:

Actually there is something as a V4 engine. Lancia were famous for building them if Im not mistaken. Though it seems some got the question confused by citing V4 and V6 which is a different issue as you pointed out ( not the same as 4cyl and 6cyl).

You're partially right - there were V4 engines of old, but not by Lancia. Lancia used the "Boxer" engine. So, horizontally-opposed engines, with the pistons lying flat either side. Often referred to as the "Flat-Four". Similar to the old Volkswagen air-cooled engines used in the Beetle and Type 2 / Volkswagen bus (Danfo).

The old V4 engines were used by Saab back in the late '60's - early '80's. Capacies were 1,7 or 2,0. The same engines were used by Ford in the early Transit, Taunus and Corsair.

Modern 4 cylinder engines in current use are either I4 (inline four) or Flat Four (Boxer).
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by infofta(m): 8:54pm On May 17, 2011
V6 engine is better If you have the money to buy and maintain it. When it's new you have less worries. Cost of maintenance is much higher than v4 engine. Your choice.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by 677ano(m): 9:28pm On May 17, 2011
Wallie:

Which is better? It depends!

It is very hard to generalize but if you must do, with all things being equal, a 4 cylinder engine will consume less fuel and will be less complicated. Some manufacturers simply lump out 2 cylinders to make a lower cylinder equivalent. This is true with some BMW models (E60 M5 V10 and E9X M3 V8).

I think you should focus on a particular Make then you can decide. For example, Audi’s 2.0T is more developed and offer you more “everything” per liter than the discontinued 3.0 V engine. With BMW, the Inline 6 engines are probably better than the old 4 cylinder engines but BMW now has a great 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo that will replace most inline 6s. BMW’s inline 6 is actually their bread-and-butter until the arrival of the new 4 cylinder because they use it across every model (X5, X3, 528, 530, 330, 325, 328, 128) and the engine is known for its balance/smoothness.

Once you decide on a particular Make, the next thing to consider is the weight of the car. A very heavy car like 5 series, E class, S class, 7 Series, mid-sized SUV will struggle with a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder engine because of low torque. A turbo 4 cylinder might offer enough torque to move a huge car but it will have a very weak top end. For example, it will take forever to accelerate over 100 MPH which is needed on US highways. Imagine trying to overtake a trailer traveling at 80 mph, you step on your gas and it takes eternity for it to respond:-) In the US, luxury cars can never sell with a 4 cylinder engine (even 6 cylinders won’t sell very well), which is one of the reasons Acura’s top of the line RL failed. But things are starting to change with the introduction of turbocharged 6 cylinder engines.

The last thing to decide on is what you want out of your car. Do you just want to get to your destination or do you car about the “feel” of your engine response?

Bottom line is that not all V6s are created equal and the same is true for 4 cylinders especially if it is turbocharged.

So, which is better? It depends on your need, the Make of the vehicle and its weight.

well said
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by sweet9ja: 10:28pm On May 17, 2011
If you are buying a new car, then you may want to know that most 4 cylinder engines of today, with the help of high presure turbo, deliver thesame (if not more) power as their 6 cylinder counterpart. Whatmore, performance is high, better fuel economy and very importantly, emission is by far lower.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by pak: 11:55pm On May 17, 2011
@Poster
I'll give you a big advice not as an expert but from experience.

If you ever choose to buy a Honda product. Then RUN from the V6, especially those made between the years 1998 and 2005.

You can go online to verify by typing phrases like 'honda accord 2003 problems' and at the end of the day you'll realise that most complaints are from ppl with V6 and there are a lot of gear related issues.

Also in this part of the world, maintenance and spare parts of V6 cars are another thing entirely.

@
yusuf_@:

used to drive a 97 Accord L4 Engine, Now i drive a 2004 Accord V6 and i can tell u, i get better fuel economy on the V6, driving the V6 got me to conclude i was driving a toy before, it's just too powerful & responsive, i agree for accord, the V6 has a problem of availability of Parts though. but i love it die  kiss kiss kiss

You might be right if you travel a lot cos V6 engines dont seem to consume that much fuel when speeding based on my observation.
But try using both engines in traffic and come back to tell us if you still feel this way

However, to balance things a bit.
The feel and power of driving a V6(and higher) car is incomparable

3 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 5:55am On May 18, 2011
Thank you all for your advice and contributions, I have learned much and I can make up my mind now. I'm very grateful.

Thank you.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by daroz(m): 6:45am On May 18, 2011
if u really need to enjoy a V-6 car, get the car be a brand new.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by daroz(m): 6:46am On May 18, 2011
uchenageme:

Thank you all for your advice and contributions, I have learned much and I can make up my mind now. I'm very grateful.

Thank you.

now, what have u decided. V6 or V4?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Aks(m): 8:50am On May 18, 2011
@ PAK--- you've just hit the nail on the head as it relate to naija setting. My thot exactly

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Diligence: 9:08am On May 18, 2011
V6 is better, V8 is best; ur driving is enhanced with redefined capabilities - maintenace is a function of the HOW u use 'em whether 16v or 1v.

An experience - after driving a V6 engine, I helped a friend wt a Camry 16v, and I had to take panadol extra for my legs - pain! The light touch on my v6 accelerator can't be compared wt a 16v!

2 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by femmy2010(m): 9:16am On May 18, 2011
V6 all the way.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by PBundles(m): 9:35am On May 18, 2011
Siena:

You're partially right - there were V4 engines of old, but not by Lancia. Lancia used the "Boxer" engine. So, horizontally-opposed engines, with the pistons lying flat either side. Often referred to as the "Flat-Four". Similar to the old Volkswagen air-cooled engines used in the Beetle and Type 2 / Volkswagen bus (Danfo).

The old V4 engines were used by Saab back in the late '60's - early '80's. Capacies were 1,7 or 2,0. The same engines were used by Ford in the early Transit, Taunus and Corsair.

Modern 4 cylinder engines in current use are either I4 (inline four) or Flat Four (Boxer).

Dude dont take this wrong but,  what are you talking about?  LANCIA PIONEERED THE V engines![/i] I didnt want to come across as a know it all hence the statement [i]If Im not mistaken. Lancia use to be well know for their racing/rally etc. Could it be that you meant boxer motor from Alfa?? Boxer motors are horizontal.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Fidelo726: 3:00pm On May 18, 2011
pak:

@Poster
I'll give you a big advice not as an expert but from experience.

If you ever choose to buy a Honda product. Then RUN from the V6, especially those made between the years 1998 and 2005.

You can go online to verify by typing phrases like 'honda accord 2003 problems' and at the end of the day you'll realise that most complaints are from ppl with V6 and there are a lot of gear related issues.

Also in this part of the world, maintenance and spare parts of V6 cars are another thing entirely.

Don't we have spare part for v6 cars in nigeria?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by GeorgeD1(m): 4:39pm On May 18, 2011
personally v6 engines are the way to go. i drove a 4 cylinder saloon car for many years until last year
when i got a toyota highlander v6. i tell you the difference is clear. recently i also got a toyota matrix 4 cylinder and i alternate between the two. what really hit me when i'm driving the v6 is the balance of engine torque and the absence of even the slightest vibrations which seems to be the headache of 4 cylinder cars. as for fuel economy i agree that the 4 cylinder is better but really for the clear advantages of the v6, i think the extra fuel it consumes may be well worth it.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ikenna351(m): 5:35pm On May 18, 2011
Hi George. First time we agree on something grin grin

Anyway, i hate wasting my time trying to prove to one how relaible, durable & powerful a V6 is.

No matter how good an I4 engine is, it can never eliminate engine vibration at high rpm. Unlike V6 engine that will smoothly rev beyond 7000rpm or the red zone. The balancer shaft on most of the V6 does the work of eliminating engine vibrations, even when clanking the engine. If you doubt me, place your hand on a car bonnet with V6 engine and have someone clank or start the engine for you. Come back and tell us your findings.

V6 engine high torque/engine speed is so powerful that even when one of the spark plugs is not working, the engine still pulls the car as if nothing is wrong.

Once you get on the wheel of any V6 and hit highway, you wont give a damn about the propaganda of fuel economy of V6. The manuovering and road handling of V6 car on hiway gives one so much fun and relaxation. In fact, you will be gigling like a girl till you hit your final destination grin grin

About the crap about high cost maintenace of V6. Keep listening to the Clowns that call themselves mechanics in Nigeria. V6 engines have proven to be very durable. A V6 engine, if properlly cared for, can exceed 800,000 km before need for engine rebuild. The extra 2 cylinders reduces the stress on the engine been cause by the added load on the engine such as A/C, power steering pump and long distance drive.

There is nothing wrong with I4, though.

Ikenna.

10 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 18, 2011
PBundles:

Dude dont take this wrong but,  what are you talking about?  LANCIA PIONEERED THE V engines![/i] I didnt want to come across as a know it all hence the statement [i]If Im not mistaken. Lancia use to be well know for their racing/rally etc. Could it be that you meant boxer motor from Alfa?? Boxer motors are horizontal.

Sorry bro, my mistake. I was indeed referring to the Boxer engines from the Alfa Romeo. You are right - Lanci did use V4 engines between 1920 and the early 1960's.

However, the point I was trying to get across, is that the 4 cylinder engines that the majority of Nigerians (including mechanics) refer to as "V4" in modern cars, are anything but. They are all I4.

Again, my apologies for getting mixed up with your statements regarding Lancia and early V4 engines.

3 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 11:03pm On May 18, 2011
@Daroz, I finally picked a V6 today, I got to drive it and it was really powerful just like most ppl on this thread have said, maybe I will post the pics later. @all Thank you once again I'm really grateful
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by koolguy88(m): 11:23pm On May 18, 2011
for performance, v6 is better. i've used both v4 and v6 cars but i prefer the v6.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by chyndorek: 11:57pm On May 18, 2011
Hello guys, am planning of buying 1999 mercedes e class, some mechanics said i should never go near 6 cylinders that 4 cylinders are better. I have a choice of e200 that is 4 cylinders and e240 or e320 that is 6cylinders. Please advise me considering i do more of city driving.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by blackboy12(m): 10:20am On May 19, 2011
V6 engine is the one for me anyday. have been using a Honda babyboy V6 since 2006 and i have never had any engine problem till date. The only issue is the gear system which will always give problems sometimes but with good maintenance and changing of the gear oil every 3months, u will enjoy it all the way. V6s are always faster in acceleration and last much more than V4s. Petrol consumption isn't friendly but then, u should be ready to fuel anytime the need arises.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by PBundles(m): 4:27pm On May 19, 2011
Siena:

Sorry bro, my mistake. I was indeed referring to the Boxer engines from the Alfa Romeo. You are right - Lanci did use V4 engines between 1920 and the early 1960's.

However, the point I was trying to get across, is that the 4 cylinder engines that the majority of Nigerians (including mechanics) refer to as "V4" in modern cars, are anything but. They are all I4.

Again, my apologies for getting mixed up with your statements regarding Lancia and early V4 engines.

No need to apologies bro, I had the idea that you were referring to the Alfa. I have to confess, I had a bit of an edge, family on wife side have been in the Italian (Fiat, Alfa etc) scene for like 40 years so I get drowned with teh info. At least you know what yr talking about. If you read the posts, seems that most didnt pick up on yr spot on comment 6cyl is NOT A V6 automatically, oh well. Also major difference between 4cyl vs 6cyl diesels/petrol. Take care and be nice to the lil lady, she is a cutie wink
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 19, 2011
all av been said already, but let me add mine too, v6 is just above average in everything
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by nairaman66(m): 6:22am On May 20, 2011
Hmnn, V6 engines are better off in terms of speed, accuracy and space, But I think both v6 and v4 are better in their own ways, I am a living experience!
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 7:17am On May 20, 2011
In terms of which is better, it all boils down to what you're comfortable with.

I do a lot of motorway driving, so comfort is paramount. An I4 engine is not smooth at sustained high rpm, a V6/V8 is. It's not about power alone, some mention that current I4's can produce V6 levels of power, true. What is different however, is how the power is delivered. A 2,3 I4 producing 260 bhp (example Mazda 3 MPS) will have a shorter lifespan than a 2,7 V6 Biturbo producing 380 bhp (example Audi B5 RS4). Both are turbocharged, but the I4 engine will be closer to its limits at that power level.

I have run V6/V8 for many years, and my most recent daily hack is a 2001 Volvo V40 1,8 I4. Chalk and cheese. No comparison, the V6 also sounds a lot nicer, from idle to the redline (6,900 rpm in my Audi A4 3,0 V6 quattro). The car I'm currently looking to replace the Audi is a 2007 Volkswagen Touareg, and you've guessed right - either a 4,2L V8 40V, or a 5,0L V10 TDI.

How many high-end SUV's run I4 engines?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by kuntash: 9:42am On May 20, 2011
I dont want to test-drive a 6-cylinder engine yet, I know it would be quite an experience.

I respect them on the road especially @ the initial take off time. , I dont think I can be confused by any mechanic on the issue of 6 or 8 cylinder engines.

moreover, there are nuff gurus on nairaland, you can get info here and tell your mechanic what to do, if you are in lagos, try to avoid inexpensive repairs, just do a replacement, its often better.

I would continue to say as I have said in similar threads, "if you do not maintain a simple power generator well, its likely you would mess up a 4-5-6-8-10 or 12 cylinder engines"

you would pity some engines when some car owners open their hood, dirty as anything, check the oil, its almost green cos after black it tends to green , lol ,

so consider these things my guy, Niaja no dey make motor, no car wey no good period!

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Kay999(m): 1:29pm On May 20, 2011
I don't think one engine type is better than the other.

I think one's choice of engine type should be based on personal circumstances.

For example, if you are living in Lagos mainland, say somewhere in Ogba and you work in Victoria Island (9-5 job). Your situation typically will be that you are driving at least one hour in slow traffic in the morning and another one hour in traffic in the evening. During the week, you may never get to accelerate to more than 80KM/h. In this kind of situation a Toyota Corolla with 4 cylinders and 1.8 litre engine will definitely be a smarter choice than any car with a V6 engine.

On the other if you are business man and you do a lot of interstate travelling and rarely drive in rush hour traffic, then a V6 engine may be a better choice for you.

That's my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by sultaan(m): 9:30pm On May 20, 2011
Kay999:

I don't think one engine type is better than the other.

I think one's choice of engine type should be based on personal circumstances.

For example, if you are living in Lagos mainland, say somewhere in Ogba and you work in Victoria Island (9-5 job). Your situation typically will be that you are driving at least one hour in slow traffic in the morning and another one hour in traffic in the evening. During the week, you may never get to accelerate to more than 80KM/h. In this kind of situation a Toyota Corolla with 4 cylinders and 1.8 litre engine will definitely be a smarter choice than any car with a V6 engine.

On the other if you are business man and you do a lot of interstate travelling and rarely drive in rush hour traffic, then a V6 engine may be a better choice for you.

That's my opinion.

In Lagos situation, the most economical choice is a Volt,Fusion or Prius hybrid. 4cyl works well for highways too.

My point is apart from the cost of fuel, V6 has more advantage than 4cyl, cost of maintenance is not bad(2 spark plug more to change).Every other thing on the car is almost the same.

Same way a V8 car is better than a V6, otherwise there no reason manufacturers will charge $2500 more for a V6 engine.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by savanto: 12:24am On May 21, 2011
You don't have to be a "big man" to drive V6. I have used Honda Legend 1992 Model. I bought it since early 2003 and sold it last year 2010 I never changed the engine for once. The only difference is that where you use a 4 Litre Oil for your 4C, you use about one and half for your V6. Every other thing remains the same. It is the same amount that the mechanic will still charge for any of them irrespective of the engine capacity. When you are on the road, the V6 gives you a more comfortable and confident ride more than the 4C. I cannot go for less. You don't change spark plugs every month. The difference is just 2 plugs. I only changed plug 3 times while I was using my legend all those years ( though I buy Original plugs which are expensive) and I have gone to the east more than 30 times with AC 24/7. Mechanics are not the best people to ask for guidance in such matters because they are resistant to changes in our dynamic society.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Trac: 7:04am On Jun 10, 2011
The question wasn't answered.  I think the original poster was considering maintenance cost and engine bay access not firing orders.  It depends on where you take it for service.

Both engines are fundamentally different.  The difference between the 4 and a 6 cylinder is its powerstroke.  A V6 is inherently a defective engine.  You cannot match a 4 cylinder to a 6 or 8 or 12 no matter how much power per piston or per litre.  The inertia load on the pistons are greater and you have greater dynamic at RPMs.  Same as lower cylinders against higher (V6 against V10).  In some cases, you may get away with it if the power/torque overwhelms the greater cylindered car due to other factors.  In a circuit, yes but linear acceleration -- it will be inconclusive.  Don't get me wrong, there are cars that out-perform cars with more cylinders but inertia and dynamic loads will be greater with more rotating and reciprocating mass at the rods while the higher cylindered vehicle will do similar performance with a lot less load.

PBundles:

All the reasons given for choosing a 6 cyl over 4 cyl are correct but actually outdated. In short it used to be a power issue (HP),  torque, stillness etc. The flip side was that you knew that you would pay more on fuel and possibly repairs. Nowadays auto manufacturers are discovering that with the latest technology a [s]4 cyl accommodates and make the 6 cyl an expensive alternative[/s]. There are 4 cyl with lots of HP, incredible torque [s]( torque is that ability to move force[/s], [s]so when you are climbing a hill or accelerating while in a high gear)[/s] etc. A good example is BMW and MB who have adopted this in many models of their 5 series and E Class respectively. Not to mention that they are good for the environment ( exhaust ext). I doubted a bit at first, but I have an E class 2010 and I was shocked at the performance and the fuel efficiency though its a diesel, is sick ( I get 17-18 KM per liter) and push the pedal on the highway (120+km). Torque is crazy. The dealer showed me the new S Class, yes you guessed it with 4 cyl. I test drove it and couldn't believe it. Who would have believed that you could make a S Class using a 4 cyl. technology means we can achieve more using less.

This isn't quite correct.  Your definition of torque is wrong and your application of torques when accelerating is off principles.  I believe what you wanted to say was torque is the force that produces rotation.

Torque = Mass * Acceleration
  It is not the ability to move force as you have stated.  You can add friction to the equation (+ friction) to this if you desire.

You can derive another definition of torque from the common equation most are familiar with.
Power (hp) = Torque (ft.lb) * [(RPM (*1000))/(5252)]
  From this relationship, you can see that power is solely based rpm and torque. In other words, power is proportional to torque at any given rpm.  On the flip,
Torque (ft.lb) = [((5252 * (Power (hp))) / RPM (*1000)] 
  In other words, less torque as RPM climbs.  This is the engineering conclusion that you cannot generate torque when climbing a hill on high gears.

Now, we can put all that aside.

Lowering the gear sends torque to the wheels and upshifting gives rpm to the wheels.  Whenever you upshift, torque to the wheels drop.  This is the reason why you have to downshift to a lower gear for passing.  You are basically "conjuring" torque to the wheels as you build acceleration in favour of RPM.   You cannot upshift and gain torque.

Engine to the S Class is denoted as peak horsepower/torques which is useless to the average and a substantial percentage of spirited drivers.  There isn't any innovation there.  What M B is passing across is that the S Class is heavier and enough torque to overcome the frictional and gravitational forces so that it is still benzy.  It is still an internal combustion engine.   You cannot match the diesel to the lower displaced V8 of the same class.  It just doesn't have the power.   All Benzes are torquey.  This is why passing is effortless and better performance at the top end (except for the v6's gassers).

The automotive industry does not reflect the technologies of today. As a matter of fact, it is a lot behind. Same with computers and wireless and the wireless technologies that are out to the main public. If you are really interested in ground-breaking technology and what's up currently, look into the Oil and Gas sector/industries. The automotive is just a profit-making ground. Few companies are into innovations in the automotive but the real innovations in the auto world are from private individuals, not the major auto companies.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 9:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
I just stumbled on this thread again today, just to keep my promise of posting the pics, here it is, The car in cotonue, I will post the car in my house later

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

24 Most Expensive Cars Found On The Streets Of Nigeria / Comments/complaints/suggestions / LIST OF GOOD AUTO WORKSHOPS IN NIGERIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.