Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,557 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:28 PM

4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine (126914 Views)

Poll: which is better 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder

4-cylinder: 31% (30 votes)
6-cylinder: 68% (64 votes)
This poll has ended

How Much Is Honda Accord 2004 (EOD) 4 Cylinder Engine! / Diff. Btw. Toyota Camry 6 Cylinder & 4 Cylinder / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 31, 2011
uchenageme:

I just stumbled on this thread again today, just to keep my promise of posting the pics, here it is, The car in cotonue, I will post the car in my house later

Your car looks great. You won't regret choosing a V6 over an I4. Of course, the Nissan Maxima isn't available in any guise other than a V6.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 11:21pm On Oct 31, 2011
Thanks bro, I will post other pics soon cant seem to find my data cable so as to transfer it from my phone to the pc
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by GeorgeD1(m): 11:45am On Nov 01, 2011
six cylinder all the way bro!

you can't go wrong with v6!
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 8:42pm On Nov 01, 2011
Thanks George, I want to thank you all for your advice and for helping me make the better choice, I really did learn a lot through did thread. I salute you all, however like Oliver twist I need one more help from you lovely people, but first the remaining pics, the car in my place

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by udoka2: 9:53am On Nov 02, 2011
@Uchenagem

Is that the new plate number? I bought a car last month, yet to get a plate number for it. Pls if thats the new plate number can you link me where u got it.

am expecting your response urgently pls.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 10:03pm On Nov 02, 2011
udoka2:

@Uchenagem

Is that the new plate number? I bought a car last month, yet to get a plate number for it. Pls if thats the new plate number can you link me where u got it.

am expecting your response urgently pls.

^^^Its the new number but that was back in June, I learnt its a bit more difficult now
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 10:20pm On Nov 02, 2011
Now to the Oliver twist part of my earlier post, i believe that after helping me make this great buy, you all will want me to take the best care of this machine, so I need your help in getting a good auto mechanic/ workshop around Ikeja area,

I have nt been able to do a comprehensive servicing on the car since it came in cause my former mechanic seems not to understand the meaning of car codes and all. Please I need your help just give me a number or an address.

Thank you, expecting some leads from you good people
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by udoka2: 10:59am On Nov 03, 2011
Uche thanks. my car has been packed since october l bought it. there is no new plate in lagos even when its announced that the new plate is available now.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by GeorgeD1(m): 11:08am On Nov 03, 2011
na wao! is this how they're going to start hoarding the new plate numbers?
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by uchenageme(m): 8:40pm On Nov 03, 2011
Still waiting for your suggestions.

thank you
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by lloydchris1: 11:34am On Oct 05, 2012
Hello friends! Actually am still very much confused on which engine size to go for.I am abt to purchase an suv (toyota 4runner? But I don't know whether to go for v6 or v8 cylinder engine.I have been to few dealers to check for the 4runner suv but all they seem to have is v8 engine nd I ask one of the dealer why v8 engine is what is more available for toyota 4runner nd he told me that 4runner is better nd stronger with v8 engine.
I need advice whether to purchase the v6 or v8 for toyota 4runner please
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by FindOut(m): 12:30pm On Oct 06, 2012
lloyd chris: Hello friends! Actually am still very much confused on which engine size to go for.I am abt to purchase an suv (toyota 4runner? But I don't know whether to go for v6 or v8 cylinder engine.I have been to few dealers to check for the 4runner suv but all they seem to have is v8 engine nd I ask one of the dealer why v8 engine is what is more available for toyota 4runner nd he told me that 4runner is better nd stronger with v8 engine.

i assume you've been shopping for those within d model years 2003- date then. Coz the prior ones were almost all 3.4l V6 engines. Yes, you'll likely find them only in 4.7l V8 engine guise. The V6 (if there are) are not soo common. the V8 engine is strong.... & reliable... to the best of my knowledge. Its the same found in the 2000 - 2006 Landcruiser & Tundra. Tho naturally, being a V8 engine....in an SUV again, you'll pay at d filling station for the extra power you are getting.lol.

If you really want a V6 SUV, then consider getting a Toyota Highlander (3.3l V6 or 3.5l V6 for 2007 upwards), or maybe a Honda Pilot (3.5l V6).
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by allewis: 7:56am On Mar 22, 2013
Yeah I am glad to find this thread for various engines. I found that 3800 series 2 engine are great and very powerful than others. These 3800 series 2 engine are now easily available with shipping facilities.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ogojohn(m): 8:56am On Mar 23, 2013
femmy2010: Go for d V6 without.
When you see anything v 6. Run my brother as far as your leg can carry you.To be fore warned is to be fore armed. Not only does it strip you of your hard earned money because of ignorant mechanics. It equally teaches you a lessen at the fuel pump.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by Ikenna351(m): 11:01am On Mar 23, 2013
Ogojohn: When you see anything v 6. Run my brother as far as your leg can carry you.To be fore warned is to be fore armed. Not only does it strip you of your hard earned money because of ignorant mechanics. It equally teaches you a lessen at the fuel pump.

Speaking from experience or what your mechanic told you?

Ikenna.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by cretin: 12:13pm On Mar 23, 2013
lloyd chris: Hello friends! Actually am still very much confused on which engine size to go for.I am abt to purchase an suv (toyota 4runner? But I don't know whether to go for v6 or v8 cylinder engine.I have been to few dealers to check for the 4runner suv but all they seem to have is v8 engine nd I ask one of the dealer why v8 engine is what is more available for toyota 4runner nd he told me that 4runner is better nd stronger with v8 engine.

i guess by now..u wud hv bought, but if not
both are reliable engines with their strenghts n weakness
the v6 normally has head gasket issues, n the v8 has exhaust manifold issues...both cars have brake caliper problems..ie the pistons get stuck and wear out the pads.
fuel wise..v6 is slightly better, has optional 4wd system, unlike v8 with full time 4wd

..i hv an 05 v6 model...

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by FindOut(m): 12:50pm On Mar 23, 2013
Ogojohn: When you see anything v 6. Run my brother as far as your leg can carry you.To be fore warned is to be fore armed. Not only does it strip you of your hard earned money because of ignorant mechanics. It equally teaches you a lessen at the fuel pump.

rubbish
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by datola: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2013
Once you drive a 6 cylinder you will not want to try anything 4 cylinder again

V6 engines are quieter, smoother, cleaner and more balanced to drive.

On Fuel consumption: the higher the cylinder the more fuel, not in all instances though. Toyota Rav4 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder engines have the same MPG- same level of fuel consumption.

Some cars like Toyota Avalon and Sienna come standard with V6 engines and that's part of main reasons they are smooth to drive.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by lonelydora: 8:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
viperman: V6 engines are actually better than 4-cylinders. The only advantage a 4-cylinder has over the 6-cylinder is fuel economy.
NOTE: , ONLY advantage.

The v6 engine is stronger, last longer, faster and gives you a better driving experience, v6 engine cars are also more balanced on the ground at top speed than their 4-cylinder counter-parts.

I personally dont like driving 4-cylinder engine cars.

For me, V8 are my love  smiley

Don't miss out!!!, Join the [size=14pt]VIPERAUTOS FANPAGE ON FACEBOOK[/size]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ViperAutos/178828405481616

V6 is better than 4-cylinder, there's no engine vibration on V6, accelerates smoothly, now we have scanners everywhere in Nigeria, maintenance is not an issue.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by profify: 7:10am On Jul 29, 2013
Hi All, Please someone is giving me a Nigerian used 2000 Toyota corolla for 500K. It has a V6 engine, the car is well pimped and works very well. But i am thinking the price should be less. Also i am hesitating because is a V6. Please your advice. Thanks.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by elviszzz: 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2013
viperman: V6 engines are actually better than 4-cylinders. The only advantage a 4-cylinder has over the 6-cylinder is fuel economy.
NOTE: , ONLY advantage.

The v6 engine is stronger, last longer, faster and gives you a better driving experience, v6 engine cars are also more balanced on the ground at top speed than their 4-cylinder counter-parts.

I personally dont like driving 4-cylinder engine cars.

For me, V8 are my love  smiley

Well said bro,I dnt like 4 cylinder engines n dnt care abt its fuel economy.Besides,its d cheapest spec a car manufacturer produces.

Don't miss out!!!, Join the [size=14pt]VIPERAUTOS FANPAGE ON FACEBOOK[/size]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ViperAutos/178828405481616
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by elviszzz: 1:01pm On Jul 31, 2013
dgb4: Go for V6 only if u have a strong and reliable moneymaking venture.

v6 maintenance is expensive comparing with 4 cylinder.

My own v6 maintenance is not expensive oooo!
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by auhanson(m): 5:02pm On Jul 31, 2013
gzib: 4-cylinder is the best if you know that you are not travelling at top speed everyday. The stability in V6 is when u are travelling at a high speed. If u spend most of ur time in town where the maximum speed is below 100km/hr the 4cylinder is the ideal choice.
maintenance is cheap
fuel consumption is better
parts are cheaper
and there is no prove that v6 engine last longer than 4 cylinder engines.

At top speed i don't see the difference between a 4 cylinder engine and 6 cylinder, it's only in the city that the 6 cylinder does a little robust/ sharp movement than the 4 cylinder. i travel like no mans biz wt my 4 cylinder benz c180 engine without fatique, even pull it to 200km/h limit atimes. so for me i dnt worry my head with either 4 or 6 cylinder but for the car to be at top condition

so, it is not true that 6 cylinder does more travel than 4 cylinder , my friends 4 cylinder benz 190 goes to Ghana from PH and comes back each year.For 6 years i dealt mercilessly with my benz 190 engine , engaging it in the most tasking and demanding condition you could ever think of, including long distance journey, even with my benz c 180, a 4 cylinder engine too

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by elviszzz: 3:09pm On Aug 02, 2013
gzib: 4-cylinder is the best if you know that you are not travelling at top speed everyday. The stability in V6 is when u are travelling at a high speed. If u spend most of ur time in town where the maximum speed is below 100km/hr the 4cylinder is the ideal choice.
maintenance is cheap
fuel consumption is better
parts are cheaper
and there is no prove that v6 engine last longer than 4 cylinder engines.

parts are cheaper really? then how come a toyota camry bid daddy/big for nothing 4 cylinder engine is more expensive than the 6? d 4 cylinder engine costs abt 300k upwards and the v6 goes for about 120k..most people scream about fuel consumption making them say a 4 plug is better off,its high time people changed their mentality and think big.For instance if you can afford a range sport would'nt you buy it? its a v8 not a 4 plug!the most expensive cars in the world dont come in 4 plugs,why now? please give me a genuine answer>
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by elviszzz: 3:23pm On Aug 02, 2013
Cruise-z:
@OP, since you have access to the internet; carry out thorough research on both engines. Then compare your findings with life experiences.
The only reason we compare V4 and V6 engine is because:
• We have apprentice turn mechanics that learnt from people who had almost only v4 to work with.
• About 90% of the mechanics don't believe in personal development, so they stick to what they know
• Our economy has wired us in such a way that we always want it cheap, thereby neglecting the right thing when it comes to car purchase and maintenance
• Our dear country Nigeria is like a jungle, anything goes!
The list goes on and on and on….
V6 is in a world of its own, comparing it with V4 is like comparing a TV with tube and LCD. Technology will always advance. Move with it or stick to what rocks your boat!

well said bro,i feel u. when i wanted to buy my present ride some years back i sought for my mechanics advice n he warned me never to buy a v6 but i ignored him n bought an audi v6 quartto. when i gave him the keys to test drive he did n was overwhelmed and confessed a four plug is nothing compared to a v6, The maintenance and parts are cheap and fuel consumption is very okay to me. i will go for machines rather than toys anyday,anytime.

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by wtfCode: 11:55am On Dec 23, 2014
Kashif:
V6 is better than I4, but these days, what I see all these 1.8l engine-powered corolla and civic do on the road is amazing. They just pull up behind you and the next thing is they just whiz past! shocked
turbos mehn, bigger turbos
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by princeogbeide1(m): 3:38pm On Dec 24, 2014
A v4 engine is a fine engine class. Most utility vehicles comes with v4 engine because of economical advantage. But if you are you are not fine with that, you can go for a v6 engine because it has more performance than a v4 engine just that some makes are not friendly in terms of fuel consumption such as volkswagen 2005 model series and other Germany cars unlike that Japanese automobiles.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by princeogbeide1(m): 3:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
princeogbeide1:
A v4 engine is a fine engine class. Most utility vehicles comes with v4 engine because of economical advantage. But if you are you are not fine with that, you can go for a v6 engine because it has more performance than a v4 engine just that some makes are not friendly in terms of fuel consumption such as volkswagen 2005 model series and other Germany cars unlike that Japanese automobiles.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by abatically(m): 4:30pm On Dec 24, 2014
wtfCode:

turbos mehn, bigger turbos

There are no turbos or corollas and civics bro. Those cars have small engine but that doesn't make them slow. They accelerate faster especially the newer model ones and will hit top speed. The difference with v6 is v6 will hit top speed faster and will be more stable at top speed while 4 cyl engine will scream at top speed.

2 Likes

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by wtfCode: 4:58pm On Dec 24, 2014
abatically:

There are no turbos or corollas and civics bro. Those cars have small engine but that doesn't make them slow. They accelerate faster especially the newer model ones and will hit top speed. The difference with v6 is v6 will hit top speed faster and will be more stable at top speed while 4 cyl engine will scream at top speed.
without having turbos added on 'em,how could they perform with some aggression
Even most v6 engines have turbos added to them.
That means i4 engines can behave somewhat like a v6 if turbos are present.
technology can do undo.
Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by abatically(m): 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2014
wtfCode:

without having turbos added on 'em,how could they perform with some aggression
Even most v6 engines have turbos added to them.
That means i4 engines can behave somewhat like a v6 if turbos are present.
technology can do undo.

Bros there are no turbos on corollas and civics. As a matter of fact most jap mobiles don't have turbo until recently.. And turbos have never been fitted to any corolla, Camry, civic, accord, etc. U can find turbos mostly on German cars like the vw Passat and golf. Modern i4's have fast acceleration naturally and are just about 2-3 seconds s slower than their v6 counterparts.

1 Like

Re: 4-cylinder Engine Vs 6-cylinder Engine by yungboss(m): 6:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
abatically:

Bros there are no turbos on corollas and civics. As a matter of fact most jap mobiles don't have turbo until recently.. And turbos have never been fitted to any corolla, Camry, civic, accord, etc. U can find turbos mostly on German cars like the vw Passat and golf. Modern i4's have fast acceleration naturally and are just about 2-3 seconds s slower than their v6 counterparts.
that's alot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

24 Most Expensive Cars Found On The Streets Of Nigeria / Comments/complaints/suggestions / LIST OF GOOD AUTO WORKSHOPS IN NIGERIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.